• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

BeesEight

I did my part and pledged. Was on board the moment I heard Avellone would be participating. Don't know much about the Wasteland aesthetic but I will miss the 50s Americana of Fallout.

But this project is bigger than that.

Zeliard

We know who to blame for NWN2, especially that unfortunate first act, I imagine:

@Mr. Avellone
I've always wondered something about NWN2, the original campaign was a lot more lighthearted and formulaic compared to most Obsidian games. Any reason for the change in direction? Did Atari specifically request a plot like that or did you guys just feel like trying something different?

Avellone said:
I think that had to do with the Lead Designer, Ferret Baudoin (Ferret, if I get your name wrong, I apologize), who set up the story arc and the companions. The goal was more of a high-fantasy experience. Atari didn't influence the plot, it was a studio creation.

gj Ferret

Don't know much about the Wasteland aesthetic but I will miss the 50s Americana of Fallout.
Why miss it when Fallout 4 is most certainly due in time for next-gen consoles and PC in a couple years. Me, I'm bored with it as far as it's been explored in the series so far. Wasteland 1 was set up as an alternate 1980s Cold War resolution, so the world of WL1 is basically late 20th century desert towns, repurposed locations and disused relics of the late 80s, like a Mad Max/Road Warrior view of the post-apocalypse except with killer robots and cyborgs, unfriendly wildlife, cultists, and mutants added to the roving gangs of thugs. It'll hopefully look more distinctive than what was only outlined roughly in written descriptions, but I assume it will look like a modern Fallout might if it had stayed top-down/iso but with an 80s theme in place of the 50s one that Fallout is defined by.

We know who to blame for NWN2, especially that unfortunate first act, I imagine:

gj Ferret

vinnie_the_ferret_in_a_war_dance_jump.jpg

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
[–]Schwagtastic 20 points 2 hours ago
Clever writing and interesting game mechanics trump graphics and effects every time.

[–]ChrisAvelloneCCO Obsidian Entertainment 42 points 2 hours ago

...annnnd say that in a publisher pitch meeting, and you can hear a pin drop. The marketing guys will simply leave.

:(((((

in other news Unigine Corp. being fans of Wasteland are ready to provide Unigine for free and they have already contacted Fargo about this.

This is Unigine.

Lothars

It's the elephant in the room but it should be noted that the Bethesda bringing back the Fallout franchise helped this project more then anything else.

Nonsense. The target audience wants this not because it's more Bethesda Fallout, but because it isn't.
No I think he's accurate because Fallout 3 and NV brought Fallout back for a new generation, I know Wasteland is different and was before Fallout 1 but it was also 25 years ago.

Only if you mean it in a way that Bethesda's games are so shitty in comparison that they drove people to support something that's as far away from a Bethesda game as possible.
I disagree I think that it helped because lot's of people enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV but even the one's that didn't are going to support this type of project especially type of game this is, I know that's why I did because I never played Wasteland 1 but I adore the Fallout games and I am sure I will enjoy Wasteland 2.

No I think he's accurate because Fallout 3 and NV brought Fallout back for a new generation
That "generation" is not the one pledging to this project in droves. Read their forums and look at every scrap of feedback. People don't want Fallout 3, they want Wasteland 2. The games have almost nothing in common.

I disagree I think that it helped because lot's of people enjoyed Fallout 3 and NV but even the one's that didn't are going to support this type of project especially type of game it is, I know that's why I did
I literally don't know what you're saying exactly, but if you think that Fallout 3 is in any way similar to Wasteland 2 you should take your money back right now because you're in for a disappointment.

Lothars

That "generation" is not the one pledging to this project in droves.
That's true but It doesn't mean that those games didn't bring back awareness to the previous games in the series or even Wasteland as it was a Ancestor to the Fallout games and that generation can be supporting it as well.
I literally don't know what you're saying, but if you think that Fallout 3 is in any way similar to Wasteland 2 you should take your money back right now because you're in for a disappointment.
I really don't get you, I never said it's going to be like Fallout 3 but It will share similarities with Fallout 1 and 2.

I just don't understand how you can say I should take my money back when you've made a thread bitching about the Linux version.

subversus

Bethesda gets too much shit on "hardcore" forums for a decent reboot to Fallout even though it's a totally different game. Some people played FO3 and then played FO1-2 and loved them for different reasons. And some of them might have contributed to this project.

That's true but It doesn't mean that those games didn't bring back awareness to the previous games in the series or even Wasteland as it was a Ancestor to the Fallout games and that generation can be supporting it as well.

Fallout 3 is a product of publisher modernization homogenization and Bethesda fuckery, Brian Fargo even makes fun of the first person perspective in his video pitch. It represents everything that Wasteland 2 stands against. Fallout 3 may be helpful insofar as it provides an example of what we're trying to get away from, but if you're donating to Wasteland 2 because you're expecting something like Fallout 3 then you're doing it wrong.

Some people played FO3 and then played FO1-2 and loved them for different reasons. And some of them might have contributed to this project.
Shithouse claimed that Bethesda helped this project "more than anything else" which is a far cry from your reasonable scenario.

Lothars

Fallout 3 is a product of publisher modernization homogenization and Bethesda fuckery, Brian Fargo even makes fun of the first person perspective in his video pitch. It represents everything that Wasteland 2 stands against. Fallout 3 may be helpful insofar as it provides an example of what we're trying to get away from, but if you're donating to Wasteland 2 because you're expecting something like Fallout 3 then you're doing it wrong.
Does your ignorance know no bounds? I am not expecting it to be anything like Fallout 3. I know exactly what I am getting with Wasteland 2 and I am looking forward to it.

Lancehead

Bethesda gets too much shit on "hardcore" forums for a decent reboot to Fallout even though it's a totally different game. Some people played FO3 and then played FO1-2 and loved them for different reasons. And some of them might have contributed to this project.

Yeah, Fallout 3 was different but good. I like the first person perspective and the open world structure. And, yes, I'm sure Fallout 3 and New Vegas had parts to play in drawing attention to this project of those who'd probably have not cared otherwise.

subversus

this engine also supports Linux.

I'm not sure if Fargo accepts the offer though because they might choose more familiar engine to work with but who knows.

What's so bad about the engine? I've had no experience with it.

nothing. I was refering to "marketing guys" quote.

this engine also supports Linux.

I'm not sure if Fargo accepts the offer though because they might choose more familiar engine to work with but who knows.

I think he said he was going to try different engines and show us how it looked in each and then call for input. I assume that engines allow you to sample before licensing?

edit:
Yeah, Fallout 3 was different but good. I like the first person perspective and the open world structure. And, yes, I'm sure Fallout 3 and New Vegas had parts to play in drawing attention to this project of those who'd probably have not cared otherwise.

I got into old crpg's because of Fallout 3. I think it's a good gateway game as it were.

Given their tight deadline and resources, I'm not sure I'd push for wholly unfamiliar software. Could introduce a lot of unforeseen issues that could delay the game. I'm sure they've got what they need, aside from the RPG-focused tools Obsidian brings to the table.

Given their tight deadline and resources, I'm not sure I'd push for wholly unfamiliar software. Could introduce a lot of unforeseen issues that could delay the game. I'm sure they've got what they need, aside from the RPG-focused tools Obsidian brings to the table.

What kind of engines have they worked with in the past then? I can't imagine that leaves a lot available.

subversus

I think he said he was going to try different engines and show us how it looked in each and then call for input. I assume that engines allow you to sample before licensing?

well, at least these guys will definitely allow Fargo to sample their engine.

cool looking modernised version of the scorpitron with parallels to some of the ghost in the shell robot attack mech. This is going to be sick if they can translate this to the game.

my wallpaper. <3

Aselith

How does a multiplat engine work exactly? You just code to the engine and then it compiles 3 separate versions so they'd get Linux for free or do you still have to code to each platform and it just makes it easier?

BeesEight

Why miss it when Fallout 4 is most certainly due in time for next-gen consoles and PC in a couple years. Me, I'm bored with it as far as it's been explored in the series so far. Wasteland 1 was set up as an alternate 1980s Cold War resolution, so the world of WL1 is basically late 20th century desert towns, repurposed locations and disused relics of the late 80s, like a Mad Max/Road Warrior view of the post-apocalypse except with killer robots and cyborgs, unfriendly wildlife, cultists, and mutants added to the roving gangs of thugs. It'll hopefully look more distinctive than what was only outlined roughly in written descriptions, but I assume it will look like a modern Fallout might if it had stayed top-down/iso but with an 80s theme in place of the 50s one that Fallout is defined by.

Well, I'm going to miss it because it's highly unlikely that Obsidian will work with the franchise while it's still in Bethesda's hands. And Bethesda's handling of the IP isn't particularly inspiring. New Vegas was far more interesting and engaging than Fallout 3 and I can't really envision Bethesda matching Obsidian's creativity. The 50's Americana was new and interesting compared to the old Road Warrior and Mad Max vibe.

But it is as it is. I'll certainly get over it. I'm sure Avellone will find other interesting things to entice me with the new IP. Hell, I'm curious to see what they'll do to distinguish themselves from Fallout beyond merely the aesthetics.

Myomoto

How does a multiplat engine work exactly? You just code to the engine and then it compiles 3 separate versions so they'd get Linux for free or do you still have to code to each platform and it just makes it easier?

I doubt it's as simple as just using a different compiler for the 3 different platforms. You probably have to optimize differently on each platform, based on the platforms individual kinks.

Top Bottom