• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

zkylon

zkylewd
AqZIhU2CAAAY5_Y.jpg:large

AqZIhU2CAAAY5_Y.jpg

https://p.twimg.com/AqZIhU2CAAAY5_Y.jpg
https://p.twimg.com/AqZIhU2CAAAY5_Y.jpg:large

WASTELAND2 ART.
Ooooh yeah people

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
cool looking modernised version of the scorpitron with parallels to some of the ghost in the shell robot attack mech. This is going to be sick if they can translate this to the game.

my wallpaper. <3

Wastleland 2 would be at least 1.75 times cooler with Tachikomas. And 400 times cooler with one as a party member.

This is semi-related because Fargo started it, but...

Your World was just asked (politely, I'm sure) to stop using the Kick It Forward image on their KS page.

It's still listed as a contributor, so I don't know what's going on.

This is semi-related because Fargo started it, but...

Your World was just asked (politely, I'm sure) to stop using the Kick It Forward image on their KS page.

It's still listed as a contributor, so I don't know what's going on.

The message:

Hi, this is Cindy from Kickstarter. How's it going?
I'm writing today because I noticed that your project has joined the Kicking It Forward campaign. Cool!
While it's great that you're committing to support the Kickstarter community, the Kicking It Forward badge has led to some confusion with backers and other creators. We've been hearing from backers who are unsure what it means, and creators who feel pressured to include it without knowing much about it. People can't tell whether it's an official Kickstarter thing or not.
We don't want to stand in the way of a grassroots effort, but we're concerned this is causing more harm than good. So we're asking everyone who's participating to remove the badges from their projects. If you want to still participate in the campaign you are absolutely free to, however we're asking that this be done outside of Kickstarter itself. We appreciate it.
Thanks so much for being a member of our community, and for launching your project with us. Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks!
Cindy

I had a feeling that would be a problem eventually.

Hm.

I feel like Kickstarter is obviously failing hard by not supporting KIF, but whatever.

No, it's a real problem. The Banner Saga was getting spammed with messages pressuring them into posting the graphic. They didn't want to, probably because they've invested their life savings in the venture and kind of need to eat after the game is done. And then there is the fact that it could be confused for an official program, which is problematic when Kickstarter has no relation to it.

What kind of engines have they worked with in the past then? I can't imagine that leaves a lot available.

Well, inXile has released games that use the old Dark Alliance/Snowblind/Dreisbach engine (Bard's Tale ARPG) and UE3 (Hunted). They also seem to have a small but full staff of developers. The moment they committed to going to Linux, Mac, in addition to the PC was the moment, I imagine, that they also made their choice of software final, or at least, narrowed the choices down to suit all targeted platforms. Otherwise, they're going to have folks spend time exploring the choices now through the preproduction phase, but I assume that they're using something in the meantime to quickly prototype and further develop concepts and gameplay mechanics aside from just doing everything on paper with some dice and evolving rulesets.

Also, fucking love the overgrown city and new Scorpitron.

No, it's a real problem. The Banner Saga was getting spammed with messages pressuring them into posting the graphic. They didn't want to, probably because they've invested their life savings in the venture and kind of need to eat after the game is done. And then there is the fact that it could be confused for an official program, which is problematic when Kickstarter has no relation to it.

That's very sad that TBS was getting hammered. I guess I'll have to read the comments. I can't say that I'm a little confused, since this just sounds like people shutting down information because of spam, but I can see how it's in Kickstarters right.

That's very sad that TBS was getting hammered. I guess I'll have to read the comments. I can't say that I'm a little confused, since this just sounds like people shutting down information because of spam, but I can see how it's in Kickstarters right.
Oh most of the comments were polite, but I saw a lot of them. They ended up having to address it in their FAQ. I can totally see how people would feel pressured to add it and worry about public perception if they refused.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Oh wow. Good to see KS nipping this in the bud now before it becomes too widespread.

Of course KIF would be a problem; ive never been a fan of the iniative. I won't also be surprised if KS clamps down on the PayPal donations thing next. Basically eBay/PayPal are raking in money based on something on KS. We will see.

Of course KIF would be a problem; ive never been a fan of the iniative. I won't also be surprised if KS clamps down on the PayPal donations thing next. Basically eBay/PayPal are raking in money based on something on KS. We will see.

PayPal and eBay (have not seen that one) are not advertised on the KS sites, though. Just on the individual project websites.

Lancehead

Like that new concept art. Doesn't Wasteland setting have snakes or robo versions of them? I'd love to see a robotic giant Western Diamondback.

Famassu

Eh, what's the problem with Kicking It Forward? I mean, sure, pressuring the devs to do it is plain out wrong, but as an idea it's a really good one. These devs wouldn't be making these games without the generous people using Kickstarter, so if they want to it's a nice gesture to invest a small amount of the profits back to the community. Not that everyone should feel the need to do it, but if devs want to, it's a good thing. This will help more games be made, so... why are you, as a gamer, against it?

thats what I mean, sooner or later; KS might crack down these "paypal" payments as they don't get a cut.

ebay own paypal.
And what's the problem with PayPal? It's not like that cut of the money would go to Kickstarter anyway, when the people who are paying through Paypal don't (necessarily) have other options. And I don't think Paypal is "raking in money", given how, say, even with the most popular games something like 2-3% of the money comes from Paypal. It's just more money for the devs to develop the game. So... again, why would you be so against it as a gamer?

Zeliard

They're definitely going to sell these games. And with no publisher, they keep the profit generated. That's one of the biggest benefits to going with Kickstarter.

Eusis

Well, there's the possibility a lot of people are holding out until a finished product is before them, in which case THEN they'll buy. This is like a pre-order over a year in advance for a game you've seen NOTHING for, and need to pay far in advance.

So my question is this - are Fargo and co. counting on selling more copies once the game is finished, or is this it?

Most devs get paid just enough to make the game, then any extra money (royalties) comes on condition of high score reviews and massive sales, with this project they would keep around 60 or 70 percent of what it sells for (through Steam), so while they might be happy to be able to make the game without going bust getting profits from the project is a rare opportunity, and one they shouldn't let go to waste.

Wildesy

It's 5% of the profits, I doubt anybody is going to go hungry for getting on board with the initiative.

Poor form by Kickstarter.

Zeliard

Ok, that makes sense. I guess I underestimated how many people will even give W2 the time of day. I want it to succeed, but I see it as a game appealing to a very core audience.

Until just recently GOG's raison d'être was to sell classic, DRM-free PC games. There's a market for it out there. GOG also just helped to grow that market even further, as newer/younger gamers have had a greater chance to become fans of that style of golden-era PC gaming.

Famassu

Most devs get paid just enough to make the game, then any extra money (royalties) comes on condition of high score reviews and massive sales, with this project they would keep around 60 or 70 percent of what it sells for (through Steam), so while they might be happy to be able to make the game without going bust getting profits from the project is a rare opportunity, and one they shouldn't let go to waste.
Wouldn't it be wiser for them to put these games on GOG? I mean, GOG doesn't take a cut of the profits (or isn't it at least a lot smaller than Steam's), right? That way everybody wins (no DRM BS for gamers, more profits for the dev).

Hell, I'm curious to see what they'll do to distinguish themselves from Fallout beyond merely the aesthetics.
Yeah, I know you haven't played WL1, so I'll just say that the difference is massive when it comes to the gameplay. They share themes, ideas, and mechanics, but they do not play too similarly and that's a lot to do with the differences of their levels of 'reality', huge differences in combat and skills, and the fact that FO only allows one character under full control while WL1 is all about a party of four player-made characters under full control plus up to three more in a party from a large pool of unique NPCs in the world, some entangled in the game's subplots, and which aren't fully under player-control (since they're not full Rangers). Tone is different, as well, with WL1 having a much more pronounced sense of dark humor and, in general, having pretty offbeat tendencies. Don't be fooled by the shared post-apocalyptic setting and theme, the games are massively different, so you won't have much trouble distinguishing between them unless you're trying to be disingenuous.

Zeliard

Wouldn't it be wiser for them to put these games on GOG? I mean, GOG doesn't take a cut of the profits (or isn't it at least a lot smaller than Steam's), right? That way everybody wins (no DRM BS for gamers, more profits for the dev).

GOG takes a cut of revenue as every DD service does.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Nice art but what's the point of that art if the game's gonna be isometric? Wouldn't that effort be better spent in designing locations roughly as they'll be seen in game? Or is it going to be fully 3D with any camera angle you want?

If it's 3D I hope they make a camera that is way better than the stuff in Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, none of the camera modes were convenient and it was still better to switch modes between wandering and battling, a far cry from IE and similarly intuitive games.

Although I guess Dragon Age's third person WoW-ish type camera worked well enough so they could always try that.

Gog might have a smaller take, if Steam are willing to give front of store presence and cross promotion then being Steam exclusive would be a fair trade, otherwise Inexile should try for as many places as possible (including direct on their own site).

Nice art but what's the point of that art if the game's gonna be isometric? Wouldn't that effort be better spent in designing locations roughly as they'll be seen in game?

This sort of stuff is important to tell the people working on the game what they are aiming for, say a new environment artist comes on board this sort of stuff shows then tone, color palette as well as scale, and these pieces are normally made by one person pretty quickly.

Nice art but what's the point of that art if the game's gonna be isometric? Wouldn't that effort be better spent in designing locations roughly as they'll be seen in game?

To inspire the writers and designers as well as setting a tone desired for the final art? The guy is a concept artist. It's necessary to unifying the initial vision.

Zeliard

Concept art isn't always meant to translate directly to what the actual game will look like. It evokes the feel of the game as well as conveys certain things that will feature in it. Some of the more striking examples in the newest concept art are the overgrown buildings and streets.

I'd really like to see it cross the $3M Rubicon, but as it stands now, it may only net $2.7M; which is sad, given how fast the total rises with the PayPal now at 70k.

Top Bottom