• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Those video's are one giant arselicking, no thanks. Uncomfortable watching a grown man pretend to act all flustered and giddy like a little schoolgirl.

Gotta love how their 1.5 mil goal is exclusive dlc as well, is this kickstarter or a gamestop pre-order?

Aselith

Those video's are one giant arselicking, no thanks. Uncomfortable watching a grown man pretend to act all flustered and giddy like a little schoolgirl.

Gotta love how their 1.5 mil goal is exclusive dlc as well, is this kickstarter or a gamestop pre-order?

Hey yo, Wuvcraft, this dude is trying to steal your schtick!

You don't expect people to take their selected jobs seriously, especially if it is a creative one?

Hey yo, Wuvcraft, this dude is trying to steal your schtick!

How did you possibly come to the conclusion that is my shtick?

I have many shticks. Being anti-KS ain't one of them.

Aselith

You don't expect people to take their selected jobs seriously, especially if it is a creative one?

How did you possibly come to the conclusion that is my shtick?

I have many shticks. Being anti-KS ain't one of them.

No I mean posting in the wrong thread. We're in the Wasteland 2 thread right now.

Zeliard

It'll be interesting to see what sort of hike it gets in these final 48 hours. With Paypal they're currently at $2.6 million.

Dunno if they'll reach $3 million; that would be lovely. Remains to be seen what Fargo does with that $30 tier to entice more people to move up.

DFA finished off with an astonishing 600k in the last 48 hours but that seems like it would be quite difficult to even come close to. One can always hope.

Aselith

It'll be interesting to see what sort of hike it gets in these final 48 hours. With Paypal they're currently at $2.6 million.

Dunno if they'll reach $3 million; that would be lovely. Remains to be seen what Fargo does with that $30 tier to entice more people to move up.

DFA finished off with an astonishing 600k in the last 48 hours but that seems like it would be quite difficult to even come close to. One can always hope.

Didn't they add that method to do international billing right at the end? I'd imagine that's where they got that huge bump.

Zeliard

Didn't they add that method to do international billing right at the end? I'd imagine that's where they got that huge bump.

If you're referring to the pre-paid card, I think that was more a humorous reminder that there's an option for international backers without credit cards, but they probably already knew about it to a large degree. The option for a pre-paid card isn't something they necessarily added; it was always available as a way to go through Amazon payments.

Dunno how much impact that had on DFA, but it is the trend for Kickstarters in general to end up with a large bump at the end as people try to get in at the last second.

I've been tweeting this but I mostly do "non games" so lol. I don't think I can do much more for WL2 - no one has ideas as to what they can do to entice/up value the $30 tier?

I was thinking 5xpostcards and a button/badge.

Zeliard

He said it wouldn't be anything physical that they'd add to the $30 tier. It'll be fun to see what they come up with. I imagine it'll be some in-game thing. Probably not an exclusive mission :p

I think the only safe bet as far as the final figure is something around $2.8 million including the Paypal total. Beyond that is anyone's guess.

I don't think he was acting flustered and giddy with happiness. Why wouldn't he be.

That $30 tier is a funny one. Not sure what else they can add to it; if its not physical. I quite appreciate that the shadowrun one has the t-shirt @ $60 instead of $150 for wasteland2.

DiscoJer

I don't think he was acting flustered and giddy with happiness. Why wouldn't he be.

That $30 tier is a funny one. Not sure what else they can add to it; if its not physical. I quite appreciate that the shadowrun one has the t-shirt @ $60 instead of $150 for wasteland2.

It's funny, for WL it's $50 for a physical copy and $150 for a T-shirt

For SR, it's $125 for a physical copy and $60 for a T-shirt.

mclem

I've been tweeting this but I mostly do "non games" so lol. I don't think I can do much more for WL2 - no one has ideas as to what they can do to entice/up value the $30 tier?

I was thinking 5xpostcards and a button/badge.

I suspect they wouldn't want to add a physical component to that tier because then postage needs to be factored in. That reduces the options significantly (a shame, because something along similar lines to Shadowrun's Doc Wagon card could have been inspired)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I won't be disappointed if it doesn't hit $3 million. A mod kit would be a nice bonus but nothing on the level of Chris Avellone or making it larger than the original.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think it'll reach the 3 million mark, unless there's a lot of people (and I mean that by a lot of people) that are still undecided on whether or not to fund the project.

I hope they do fund it, because I want that mod kit. Hehe.

Minsc

Gold Member
I don't think it'll reach the 3 million mark, unless there's a lot of people (and I mean that by a lot of people) that are still undecided on whether or not to fund the project.

Hopefully it sells a good 500k or so post-release and they announce they will follow through with it either way. But having it be a guaranteed thing would of course be much nicer.

Famassu

3 million wouldn't really be impossible. There'll probably be the usual rush before the end even if they don't do anything to get more money. Then there's the possibility that they'll introduce something to make some pledgers donate a bit more (like, say, get those 15$ pledgers to donate 30$, 30$ pledgers to donate 50$). And some people might just donate more if they think that everything they've decided to add to the game so far is of greater value or if they really want to try to go for the 3 million for the mod tools or if they suddenly decide they just HAVE to have that T-shirt.

DaBuddaDa

It's at 2.6 million if you include the PayPal donations and Brian has been talking about a new last-minute bonus to the $30 tier to entice the thousands of $15 backers to bump up to $30. If you combine PayPal and Kickstarter I think this has a really solid shot of reaching 3 million when all is said and done.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Choice quotes:

SkyeFlayme: Even if we do not reach the goal of 3 million. Is there any chance at all that mod tools would be looked at?

BF: It isn't 100% binary but we do need to make sure that we have the financing to make Wasteland 2 everything that it needs to be. We do want mod tools and it could come in the way of a community made software. We have lots of time to sort this baby out.

Good.

zhrakkan: Would you be interested in performing another old sequel like Bards Tale thru Kickstarter?

BF: My hopes is that I am able to bring you all RPGs for the next decade plus with fan funding. Bard's Tale is just one of the many potential games.

No surprise there, but I am interested in any future plans and how that will affect the funding if their first Kickstarter already was a success.

Intergaki: Regarding ESRB ratings and the like. Considering that you're funded through Kickstarter and don't have a publisher breathing down your neck, do you feel you can make the game that you and the team want without any restrictions in that respect? Are you looking to include more sensitive topics that you otherwise wouldn't have?

BF: I can pretty much guarantee this will have a minimum of an M rating. We don't plan to pull any punches when it comes to adult subjects. Our audience can handle this and it is the world the fans want to see. A post apocalyptic world is not a pretty place.

That sounds incredibly cool.

A minimum of an M rating? Thank you based Fargo.

What goes above M? I wasn't aware they had one above M. Wait, is it that AO rating that you never ever see?

Euphor!a

Banned
Has there been any word if they will try and get this on Steam and whether or not the digital copy would include a Steam key if it does go there?

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
A minimum of an M rating? Thank you based Fargo.

What goes above M? I wasn't aware they had one above M. Wait, is it that AO rating that you never ever see?

AO but that seems reserved for strong sexual content. Considering the violence we see in this day and age in gaming they always get M max.

Lancehead

Wasteland 2 forum said:
We are thinking about adding the following 4 items to the $30 Tier

An extra digital download of the game in any format. Many people wanted to be able to get a Mac AND a PC version, or PC and Linux, or even an extra PC version for a friend. Now you can.

Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map.

Access to a four episode Video Development Blog that will show you an exclusive behind the scenes look at the design and development of Wasteland 2. Sit in on designer meetings and art review meetings to see the process behind how the game is made. See interviews with Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, Mike Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, and the rest of the development team as they explain to you what they are doing and why they are doing it.

The complete Wasteland 2 Vision Document in digital form. This document outlines the design of the product as well as explaining the philosophy behind the design choices. It acts like a foundation that the game design is built on.

The only thing on that List that might be controversial is the extra Ranger portraits. We want to poll the fans to see what you think.

I think those are nice additions to get people to increase their pledges. Personally, I'm fine with exclusive portraits.

Access to a four episode Video Development Blog that will show you an exclusive behind the scenes look at the design and development of Wasteland 2. Sit in on designer meetings and art review meetings to see the process behind how the game is made. See interviews with Brian Fargo, Chris Avellone, Mike Stackpole, Alan Pavlish, and the rest of the development team as they explain to you what they are doing and why they are doing it.
This.

This This This This.

Kinda confused about the "extra digital download". Why are we not given all three versions of the game DRM free? That's how it's generally done on any DRM free digital download purchase.

Doesn't matter to me, just seems weird to nickel and dime someone who wants to play on Mac and Windows.

Also, if you opt for a Steam key, shouldn't that one be Steamplay? (And why not get a Steam key + DRM free downloads too..)

From the interview:

zhrakkan: Would you be interested in performing another old sequel like Bards Tale thru Kickstarter?

BF: My hopes is that I am able to bring you all RPGs for the next decade plus with fan funding. Bard's Tale is just one of the many potential games.
I was hoping that revenue from the game would be sufficient to fund future projects, but I guess that's not on the cards right now. I don't think Kickstarter is a well of infinite depth that the same developer can go to over and over again.

~Kinggi~

Banned
From the interview:

I was hoping that revenue from the game would be sufficient to fund future projects, but I guess that's not on the cards right now. I don't think Kickstarter is a well of infinite depth that the same developer can go to over and over again.

I only see it working if the games are fantastic. If they end up being mixed, they will have to rely more on the revenue to help fund sequels.

Either way though people are gonna be asking where did all the money from the profits go anyway, so they may not have a choice.

Corto

From the interview:

I honestly think that this will become a very successful venue to self-publishing of games. And I can see a company like inXile focusing their business in it. It will not be for everyone or everything but it has the potential to be a viable business model. What I don't believe is that it will replace or hurt in anyway the traditional model of publishers/developer relationship just another model for some projects or specialized companies. It's a rather new process though that needs to mature to have a sense of its full potential.

Truant

I'm very excited for this, but what are people expecting? Something like Fallout 3 in terms of production values?

Have they said anything about how ambitious the graphics will be?

Right now I'm expecting an 8 hour game with graphics similar to those top-down iOS RPG's made by Spiderweb.

Lancehead

I'm very excited for this, but what are people expecting? Something like Fallout 3 in terms of production values?

Right now I'm expecting an 8 hour game with graphics similar to those top-down iOS RPG's made by Spiderweb.

Your expectations are quite low, I think.

~Kinggi~

Banned

I expect at least some visually attractive isometric art. I also expect something a little longer than 8 hours. I mean i still find the iso stuff from back in the day to be pretty good looking.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

Neither. Fallout 3 is an FPS with 10x the budget, and Spiderweb games are made by one guy with some additional contracted work.

I'd expect something more along the lines of a Fallout 1 or 2, but in isometric 3d with modern UI considerations and better graphics.

Saty

How much would the game need to sell (apart from the backers' copies) after launch to make the Kickstarter commercially successful, as in the profits are enough to have InXile start a new game?
At 20$ a piece, Wasteland 2 will need to sell 50k copies to reach the million dollars that were asked to make the game.

Famassu

They made Fallout 1 for $3 million and that took three years to make. I don't think something of similar scope is too impossible with them being much more experienced now in making these kinds of games and since there are no publishers breathing down their necks demanding something to be changed after they've spent tons of time on it just because they don't think it will help sell the game, especially since they aren't starting from scratch (familiar universe, have already done preparations for development etc.).

~Kinggi~

Banned
How much would the game need to sell (apart from the backers' copies) after launch to make the Kickstarter commercially successful, as in the profits are enough to have InXile start a new game?
At 20$ a piece, Wasteland 2 will need to sell 50k copies to reach the million dollars that were asked to make the game.

I can see future kickstarts going along the lines of 'all revenue from the last game will be funding this one, and here are the new goals for kickstarter to make such and such better than before."

Corto

We need to take into account that some of the rewards also cost money. The physical copies of the game, the printing of manuals, t-shirts, various shwag, posting. Those all add up.

Top Bottom