• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Truant

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be good. I'm a graphics whore, though. I need stuff that gets me in the mood, be that glorious 2D art or Crytek techincal wizardry. Writing and good gameplay isn't enough. I just hope they have the time and money to give this the look and feel it deserves.

PaulLFC

So are they adding the novel plus the other 4 items to the $30 tier, or just the novel? Either would be good, but if it's the 5 extra items plus what's already there, that's fantastic and I'd definitely go straight for the $30 tier instead of $15.

Lancehead

Don't get me wrong, I want this to be good. I'm a graphics whore, though. I need stuff that gets me in the mood, be that glorious 2D art or Crytek techincal wizardry. Writing and good gameplay isn't enough. I just hope they have the time and money to give this the look and feel it deserves.

I'd be happy with something akin to Temple of Elemental Evil, but with better character models and animations.

PaulLFC

Wow, they are indeed adding everything on the list. Updated $30 pledge from the Kickstarter page:

Previous reward + Downloadable DRM free digital soundtrack by Mark Morgan and digital WASTELAND 2 CONCEPT ART BOOK + Extra Digital Downloadable copy of game DRM free for PC or MAC OSX or Linux + Exclusive Ranger portrait collection + Access to Four episode Video Dev Blog. Also receive a Novella on the Wasteland 2 world created by Chris Avellone.

RyanDG

Wow, they are indeed adding everything on the list. Updated $30 pledge from the Kickstarter page:

Previous reward + Downloadable DRM free digital soundtrack by Mark Morgan and digital WASTELAND 2 CONCEPT ART BOOK + Extra Digital Downloadable copy of game DRM free for PC or MAC OSX or Linux + Exclusive Ranger portrait collection + Access to Four episode Video Dev Blog. Also receive a Novella on the Wasteland 2 world created by Chris Avellone.

That's pretty insane.

Famassu

How could they change the pledge rewards? I remember someone saying that can't be done once someone has pledged and chose that reward tier?

epmode

How could they change the pledge rewards? I remember someone saying that can't be done once someone has pledged and chose that reward tier?
I've seen a few projects change the text after people have pledged. Maybe they have to keep the original text and they're only allowed to tack on additional rewards?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
How much did you think it will sell? I hope at least 500.000 copies, more than enough to fund another title.
Too optimistic? :(

Dipswitch

Updated my pledge to $30 a few days ago, but these are some extra nice goodies. I'd goto $50 if I could, but I've gotta show some restraint with these Kickstarter projects at some point.

Temptation might kick in right before the deadline though if they need that extra push.....

I wonder if they'll consider a Wasteland 2 expansion pack in the classic tradition. It could be a good way of getting more revenue without dipping too deep into profits or going back to Kickstarter immediately.

Whatever the case with enforcing complete consistency across changes in the tiers, in this case, there is only additions, no subtractions at all. That loaded $30 tier was a smart move, but I think it was a bit too late. Guess that they're betting on people checking in on that last day to find it and double their initial pledge. It's got a shot at $2.9M, for sure. Maybe people will pledge merely to push it over the $3M mark just to do so.

Famassu

How much did you think it will sell? I hope at least 500.000 copies, more than enough to fund another title.
Too optimistic? :(
Long-term sales could be that high, especially if it gets a good reception and after a few Steam/GOG sales, but I'm not sure if it'll sell that much at full price, so it's hard to say how much it'll actually make $$$. I'm guessing they might make enough to make another game, but I'm not sure if they'll want to use all of that to make a new game or whether they'd rather save some of that for when they'll really need it. From what Fargo has said, it has sounded like they do plan to use Kickstarter for future projects as well.

With a pulled back camera thing don't need to be so detailed, and asset re-use is less obvious (and one use story items can be explained in text and never shown),since they won't have to create sprite anymore it will allow for a whole new level of asset management.

If they have an engine that can handle a good amount of lighting and shadows I could see it look way better then FO3.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
re: future InXile kickstarters, assuming Wasteland 2 is successful and good, my inclination would be to say:

"We're going to use the money from Wasteland 2's success to fund the next internal project, maybe another Bard's Tale or Wasteland game. That decision's in our hands; we have the cash flow now, but only to do one project at a time and sink or swim by it.

But now that we've proven ourselves, what other game do you want us to make? A new IP? We'll put up a kickstarter, assemble a new dream team, and make it for you."

That way the company expands and it doesn't feel like they're asking for an unnecessary handout.

Brian wants you to up that pledge from $15 --> 30; and he's damn well making sure the value proposition is there. Best thing about it though, this upgrade benefits me

we're counting down now. Less than 2 days to go. Then the long hard wait :) and I'm going to avoid the Beta.

Zeliard

Nearing $2.7 million w/ Paypal. I just hope it isn't too little too late for that $30 update, as MH was saying. It could have had a significant impact had it been introduced about a week or so ago, though maybe it still can if they get the word out there.

Minsc

Gold Member
Favorite thing about these kickstarters, besides all the extra physical / digital content you can get, is the developer behind the scenes / insight videos. Glad to see the four episode video dev blog added (even if it's not going to be as humorous as DFA's) as well as the novella by Chris Avellone.

Nearing $2.7 million w/ Paypal. I just hope it isn't too little too late for that $30 update, as MH was saying. It could have had a significant impact had it been introduced about a week or so ago, though maybe it still can if they get the word out there.

People tend to pay extra attention / back more frequently in the last day or so of a kickstarter, they will be fine. Leaving a big thing like this to end on was good I think, how much more could they have added now, if this was put in before? :)

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Anyone knows if the novella by Avellone will be available separately at launch? I'd like to pledge more money but I don't want to blow out my card. :-/

Zeliard

People tend to pay extra attention / back more frequently in the last day or so of a kickstarter, they will be fine. Leaving a big thing like this to end on was good I think, how much more could they have added now, if this was put in before? :)

Well, they wouldn't necessarily have had to add anything at this point if they had done it earlier. Kickstarters get a big jump at the end simply from people getting in at the last minute.

The problem (relatively-speaking) with doing it this late is that a lot of people who already pledged at $15 may miss it entirely, while earlier they would have had a greater chance at seeing it and upping their pledges. There are over 32,000 people at $15 - relative to around 5k at $30 - so that's quite a difference.

But I agree it should still end up with a great number. And the stuff they did add to $30 is just superb.

zkylon

zkylewd
Great update, added a lot of value to my 65$ pledge, and should entince a lot of 15$ pledgers.

300k in 36 hours? Doesn't sound impossible, but it is a lot of money.

Zeliard

I hope the whole behind-the-scenes dev thing becomes a normal thing for future major Kickstarters. They don't necessarily have to spend as much money as Double Fine is on hiring a full outside staff to do it, or create as many videos as those guys are. They can make that stuff fairly simple to film, as I imagine inXile will, since the content will be what really matters.

Takuan

I would've upped my pledge for a physical art book. As it stands, I'll stick with $100. Maybe a last minute increase to the $150 for that coin?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Huge bump.

Now they just need to post this image on the page for maximum damage.

ripAn.png

Ventrue

Great update, added a lot of value to my 65$ pledge, and should entince a lot of 15$ pledgers.

300k in 36 hours? Doesn't sound impossible, but it is a lot of money.

Well, Doublefine did manage almost 400k in their last 24 hours I believe. So there's some hope.

The PayPal is at $80k.

This is Sparta, people.

"Access to a collection of exclusive Ranger portraits that will double the pool of character portraits you have to choose from at the start of the game when you are rolling up your Rangers. This unique image collection will not only give you more Ranger portraits, but more Ranger icons used to display your party location on the world map."

So we pick our stats. Interesting. I like.

DTKT

So there are no "crafted" companions to pick up? They are all created by the player so none of them have a unique story? :|

Or am I dumb and missed something?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So there are no "crafted" companions to pick up? They are all created by the player so none of them have a unique story? :|

Or am I dumb and missed something?

Initial player-created party + recruitable NPCs that can also join up.

Top Bottom