• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

duckroll

This is actually a more accurate - and straight from DF's mouth - representation of how much money they got, how much KS took, and where it is going:
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/

Apparently quite a few transactions never completed, but I'm still amazed that they got to keep $3,09,660. That means KS/Amazon took less than what GAF originally calculated.

After rewards, they had exactly $2,626,429, which is, quite frankly, a bit disappointing.

Now I'm back in the game. Whereas before, $3M would have been nice, now I'm all "HIGHER MUST GO HIGHER ARGGGHHHH".

They say that 300k would have allowed 3 guys to work for 6 months on the game, but 2.2 million would now allow 11 guys to work on the game for a whole year now. I have a very, very hard time believing that Double Fine employees earn like 200k a year. :p

~Kinggi~

Banned
They say that 300k would have allowed 3 guys to work for 6 months on the game, but 2.2 million would now allow 11 guys to work on the game for a whole year now. I have a very, very hard time believing that Double Fine employees earn like 200k a year. :p

Yeah thats fucking ridiculous. Lmao game industry professionals are asking to put themselves on the unemployment line with salaries like that.

duckroll

Yeah thats fucking ridiculous. Lmao game industry professionals are asking to put themselves on the unemployment line with salaries like that.

Well, I really doubt that's what they're paying people. It seems more likely that they oversimplified the equation and are trying to explain it in dumb laymen's terms to people. Where a lot of the money is probably going to go towards would be outsourcing asset creation for art, animation, backgrounds, music, voices, etc. I'm just pointing out how it sounds ridiculous at a glance. :)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Probably not, but we'll probably get mod tools sometime after launch anyway.

Jdl8P.png

Hmmmm, Looking at that graph makes me weirdly optimistic about the 3M goal. Guess I'll see tomorrow after waking up :)

Edit: not that it matters, but reaching milestones is neat.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
such a shitty time for it to end.. they didn't think that one through.

Like a whole lot of other things during this certain KS campaign, but yeah. It was quite obvious that this was a stupid time to end this.

Toma

They need to hit over 11k for all of the remaining 11 hours. Thats not going to be easy, but doable. I'd love to see it through, but hey I'll be able to see the last 1-2 hours tomorrow :)

The DFA KS fund; no doubt; already crosses over into profit territory - their initial amount for that game; wasn't even in the 3 million mark; and that game is not going to be half as ambitious or as amazing as WL2 is going to be. I wish more people would support this.WL2 should hit 4-5 million objectively; and it would deserve and need every cent of it.

DFA's money should be able to fund 2-3 games at the very least.

The DFA KS fund; no doubt; already crosses over into profit territory - their initial amount for that game; wasn't even in the 3 million mark; and that game is not going to be half as ambitious or as amazing as WL2 is going to be. I wish more people would support this.WL2 should hit 4-5 million objectively; and it would deserve and need every cent of it.

920484-17NB9U8.gif

Also, Fargo isn't hiring a Documentary Crew.

My favorite part of that film.

Not to say that this still doesn't work out to a fairly high salary, but you guys have to remember all the other costs associated with having an employee (namely benefits, employer portion of Social Security and unemployment insurance, etc). There are also any overhead costs (office space, equipment, etc). All and all I doubt these guys will be making much over $100K each. And if you know anything about the competition for talented coders and designers/artists that currently exists in the tech/start-up, you'd know this is pretty par for the course (especially if these guys are based in the bay-area - too lazy to check right now)

That all said, I'm in for $15 - first kickstarter ever!

This is gonna come down to the wire----though I'd put good odds on somebody getting Fargo drunk enough should they reach the goal in time somewhere in the evening to still chip in the 100K on camera that he'd mentioned way back when the project was an optimistic 900K target.

Zeliard

It's gonna be cutting it close. Hopefully they add mod support even if it doesn't quite reach 3 mill w/ Paypal. Would be pretty whack if they didn't.

It's gonna be cutting it close. Hopefully they add mod support even if it doesn't quite reach 3 mill w/ Paypal. Would be pretty whack if they didn't.

I don't see this hitting 3 million on Kickstarter alone... 2.9 million if lucky. But I think collectively with Paypal it may reach just a little bit over 3 mil.

DTKT

They really needed more coverage of the last 24 hours. DFA had the advantage of being the first and being media darling. :|

They needed a front page reddit post + media coverage.

:(

that twitch tv thing is busted?

"oh look I have sound what omg" "oh look I have sound what omg" "oh look I have sound what omg" "oh look I have sound what omg""oh look I have sound what omg" "oh look I have sound what omg""oh look I have sound what omg""oh look I have sound what omg""oh look I have sound what omg""oh look I have sound what omg""oh look I have sound what omg"

"hello"

wtf?

video is working now. who's the guy on the couch. I think the ballons are gold?

The general back-of-the-envelope estimate for game development non-labor costs is around equal to the labor costs, and given that those guys are in SF I could easily believe the people on the team average out to $100k salaries. :p

The general back-of-the-envelope estimate for game development non-labor costs is around equal to the labor costs, and given that those guys are in SF I could easily believe the people on the team average out to $100k salaries. :p

thats not how you pay people. It will be whatever they were contracted at.

anyhow

... was watching a recording. so many people in the room now. :) They're going to just sit in there for eight hours or am I missing something? lol

bazookatoothgemini: bring chris back and I'll donate more

Dr.Acula

Banned
The last time I had a cloth map was for one of the ultimas. i really wish I still had it. I would have loved to frame that shit up behind some UV glass. This fabric map for the WL2 is damn neat. In fact; I think the swag I'm getting for the $150 tier is pretty neat. I mean, I ordered and had a poster shipped from mondotess for $90+ all up.

Pretty sure WL2 is going to be a great title.

I totally bought the special ed. of Skyrim b/c I misunderstood that the "premium" map would be cloth. Worse than Ultima IX's "cloth" map. Ultima VI had an amazing map!

edit: Looking at it now, the Ultima IX edition is nicely conceived if not executed. The books that the game came with have wonderful art, but the paper itself, as well as the faux-leather covers are underwhelming. The ankh is puny, but the tarot cards are pretty nice. The map is on this kind of polyester material that's hella lame. The certificate is printed on a very nice stock, it's like a paper parchment facsimile. The box itself is massively old skool. Probably the biggest big box I've ever seen. Wish more games would do that -even if I have to place it on my shelf sideways!

The Ultima VI manual has yellowed amazingly, and all the corners have worn down or turned up. It's wonderful to leaf though the soft, thick pages. The cloth map feels like a t-shirt! The moonstone has a couple of scars in it, seems unintentional, and feels slightly light for its size (a triangular prism that can sit on a penny), making me think it's a piece of glass. The seven disks each feature a different piece of art. The box itself seems pretty "of-its-time."

I'm interested in the game but I just can't figure out if I'll play it or not. I wish the kickstarter page had mockups or something. I never played the first one. :/

I'm interested in the game but I just can't figure out if I'll play it or not. I wish the kickstarter page had mockups or something. I never played the first one. :/

Imagine party-based Fallout where you fully control a group four to seven instead of single person and some CPU lackies and you have a pretty good idea.

Going by the time stamp on one of my last posts, $10,974 collectively has been raised between Paypal and KS in the last 1:48 minutes.

Currently at: $2,911,728 total for both KS and PP

Top Bottom