• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

epmode

I'm not sure how likely it is now, but I hope it gets to 3 million. I'm sure the editor would add a lot to the game since there will obviously be a dedicated community around it as proven by the response to the Kickstarter.

I think we'll get an editor/SDK even if it doesn't quite reach $3 million.

Its crossed the $2.82 mil mark now.

180k to 3 million.

Don't forget to kickstart this baby!

One digital copy and one full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2, complete with worn cloth game map and old school instruction book. Also features the digital soundtrack and digital concept art book from previous award. Also receive an early release episodic Novella (Part 1) on the Wasteland 2 world created by Mike Stackpole, a member of the original Wasteland story team. The Novella will give hints and clues being built into the actual Wasteland 2 game. (Please add $15 for international shipping)

$30 bucks!

iqaarV0hTBoq4.JPG

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Just upped my pledge from 15 dollars to 115. I can't believe how much a success this is and having my name in the special thanks would be a nice throw back to look upon when older :)

The guy in the comments saying that ineXile is just as evil as EA for not making WL2 compatible with all three OS' is frustrating.

Is it not? If it's the Markus guy, he's complaining that he can't get codes for all three versions (despite the description explicitly stating "PC or MAC OSX or Linux", not all of the above). If he donated $30, it's a moot point since you get two copies.

If Adobe is not entitled to give you cross-compatible licenses for CS, I don't think inXile has to either.

So it seems that the $150 version with both normal big box and premium box is now gone in favour of shirts? Meh.

Urgh. I just noticed they broke the tier up and I don't get the shirt? WTF?

Pledge $150 or more
335 Backers

The $100 reward + a backer-only WASTELAND 2 T-SHIRT. You will get to select between one of four shirts. The T-shirt will not be available anywhere else. (Please add $15 for international shipping)
Estimated Delivery: Oct 2013
Pledge $150 or more
You Selected
727 Backers

The $100 reward + a limited edition numbered collectible coin, a WASTELAND 2 POSTER and one large boxed copy. (Please add $15 for international shipping)

what was the original edit for the $150 tier? whats the difference btw one large box copy and the premium box? The large box was already promised in the lower tier. I might have to drop my support

One digital copy and one full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2 <--from the $55 tier.

WTF?!?!

thy_

Urgh. I just noticed they broke the tier up and I don't get the shirt? WTF?

what was the original edit for the $150 tier? whats the difference btw one large box copy and the premium box? The large box was already promised in the lower tier. I might have to drop my support

One digital copy and one full LARGE BOXED COPY OF WASTELAND 2 <--from the $55 tier.

WTF?!?!

They can't remove stuff from tiers, which already have been pledged by someone - only add to them.

At the bottom of the kickstarter page they do have a FAQ where they detail what each tier is going to get after the last changes:
What do I receive with the $150 reward? (Shirt Pack)
You will receive your choice of one out of four Wasteland 2 t-shirts, collector's edition premium boxed version (with cloth map, instruction book, miniature, faction badge), your name in the credits in a special thanks section, early playable beta access, both early release digital episodic novellas (part 1 & 2), digital concept art book, downloadable digital soundtrack, 2 DRM free digital copies of the game (PC or Mac or Linux), exclusive Ranger portrait collection, 4 episode video development blog, Chris Avellone novella, and unique and quirky skill.

Last updated: Sunday Apr 15, 11:44pm CEST
What do I receive with the $150 reward? (Poster Pack)
You will receive a Wasteland 2 poster, limited edition collectible coin, large boxed copy, collector's edition premium boxed version (with cloth map, instruction book, miniature, faction badge), your name in the credits in a special thanks section, early playable beta access, both early release digital episodic novellas (part 1 & 2), digital concept art book, downloadable digital soundtrack, 2 DRM free digital copies of the game (PC or Mac or Linux), exclusive Ranger portrait collection, 4 episode video development blog, Chris Avellone novella, and unique and quirky skill.

Bold is mine.

Theonik

So it seems that the $150 version with both normal big box and premium box is now gone in favour of shirts? Meh.
Ok, after some further inspection, the poster version does come with both the big box and collector's box but the shirt pack does not? Rather confusing even with the FAQ.

charging $50 for a t-shirt in that tier is a bit much. He was meant to incentise the tiers. Anyhow, I'm not sure what's going on with the "large boxed copy - which the t-shirt tier should also get because its in the $55 tier"

I'll stay with my poster. I'd much rather that, framed than a t-shirt I guess. Andre Wallin's art will make for a nice poster.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
How much of this money is going to be service fees anyway? Paypal seems to have horrible fees and currency conversions when I have to use it to send money, I hope they're more sensible for bulk transfers like this instead of end up getting like $100k per million or something crazy like that.

How much of this money is going to be service fees anyway? Paypal seems to have horrible fees and currency conversions when I have to use it to send money, I hope they're more sensible for bulk transfers like this instead of end up getting like $100k per million or something crazy like that.

DFA only had to pay $150k for $3.36M.

From the Doublefine thread:

According to Kickstarter, they take 5% and Amazon takes another 3-5%. So worst case $3336371 * 0.9 + $110000 = $3112733.90. That's without accounting for the amount they still need to spend on backer rewards and is going toward both the game and documentary (most toward the game though).

mclem

DFA only had to pay $150k for $3.36M.

From the Doublefine thread:

Actually, that was the theoretical numbers bandied around, but there's some imprecision there; the actual numbers were posted on the DFA forums, and I think they were a bit lower than I was expecting.

Famassu

That's still a lot imo, they should take 20 bucks regardless of funds and leave it at that :(
Kickstarter as a service itself is not a charitycase, they've made it to make a living for themselves. They offer the platform through which you can manage everything related to the project & keeping in touch of pledgers, nowadays they have a sizable audience who pledge money for things, they perhaps give some promotion through their blogs and they take their share of the pie. If a dev ain't happy about that, they can try building up their own site to do all of this.

GAF talk me in to buying this game, on the fence between 15 dollars just to see what the hoopla is or 50 and get a nice box with a nice thick manual and map. Starcraft had my favorite manual with all the back story sold me on the game before i even played the game.

Stage On

GAF talk me in to buying this game, on the fence between 15 dollars just to see what the hoopla is or 50 and get a nice box with a nice thick manual and map. Starcraft had my favorite manual with all the back story sold me on the game before i even played the game.

Ditto, I'm on the fence between putting in for just 15 or going 55 for the all digital package.

I don't really play pc games much at all thought so I'm not really sure I want to pay extra just to have the novels.

If you're pledging less than $30 you're frankly missing out on a hell of a deal.

Ditto, I'm on the fence between putting in for just 15 or going 55 for the all digital package.

I don't really play pc games much at all thought so I'm not really sure I want to pay extra just to have the novels.

Michael Stackpole is a fantastic writer, Chris Avellone is legendary, so if writing is your thing then the $55 tier is as good as it gets.

Aselith

Buy the 50$ and sell the two digital copies later.

DTKT

You get a cloth map.

A CLOTH MAP.

I am not old enough to have played the original, but i am a fan of their work. I think i should get the 30 bucks version and sell the extra copy?

PaulLFC

It's times like this I wish I lived in the US. I want the boxed version but it'll cost me $65 instead of $50 so I'm not sure.

El-Suave

While I can understand their motivations, these last minute additions are a bit confusing - not to mention that it's kind of unfair to people who have already backed, might want to change their pledge but weren't aware of these late changes.

I pledged $100 so far on this, and I'm also on board with the Double Fine and Jane Jensen kickstarters.

I must say of all the Kickstarters I've visited so far, Double Fine's is easily the best - I'm not a fan of all this carrot dangling, raising goals etc., sometimes it comes around as downright begging, while you're already a huge success. I'm aware a RPG is more complex than an adventure game as far as budget planning and spending goes and that the Wasteland Kickstarter is one of the first in the post DFA world. But for future projects I would want these campaings to be planned much better.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
It's times like this I wish I lived in the US. I want the boxed version but it'll cost me $65 instead of $50 so I'm not sure.

I did it. Upped my pledge from $15 to $65. Feels good man. Double Fine and Shadowrun's boxed copies are too expensive for me, so Wasteland fills that urge pretty good.

The last time I had a cloth map was for one of the ultimas. i really wish I still had it. I would have loved to frame that shit up behind some UV glass. This fabric map for the WL2 is damn neat. In fact; I think the swag I'm getting for the $150 tier is pretty neat. I mean, I ordered and had a poster shipped from mondotess for $90+ all up.

Pretty sure WL2 is going to be a great title.

PaulLFC

I did it. Upped my pledge from $15 to $65. Feels good man. Double Fine and Shadowrun's boxed copies are too expensive for me, so Wasteland fills that urge pretty good.
I'm very tempted. My brother will buy one of the copies so that cancels out the shipping cost. I'm not sure who would buy the other spare copy (unless there's someone on GAF who hadn't pledged who would want it at a discount over RRP), but still, $50 is a good deal. I'll decide in the morning I think.

dude

dude
Mods tools are released on launch.

Not on launch if I remember correctly. It'll get made "eventually" :p

EDIT: from the update:
Brian Fargo said:
While we are not ready to commit to that feature yet, we can say that if we were to hit 3 million dollars, it would be possible to do a mod kit without cutting into the plan for the main game. In fact, IF we ended up making the mod kit we would not release it until after Wasteland 2 shipped as our hands will be quite full to ensure things are done well.
but at 3M the game also gets more biggerer and stuff, so we should still cheer for it!

I just tried calculating PayPal's fees.

Then I figured out that the PayPal total on the page is most likely with the fees already taken out.

Anyway. It looks like we're going to hit $100k on PayPal.

Then I can make a post with my hilarious Pimp My Car meme .gif that everyone will laugh at for reasons other than how funny it will be.

mclem

What are the odds on all three being crap though?

To be fair, they're not all the same genre. While Shadowrun will scratch a similarish itch to Wasteland 2, DFA being bad won't really be compensated for by one of the other titles.

So in short, you need to back Jane Jensen's Kickstarter.

This is actually a more accurate - and straight from DF's mouth - representation of how much money they got, how much KS took, and where it is going:
http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6443/

Apparently quite a few transactions never completed, but I'm still amazed that they got to keep $3,09,660. That means KS/Amazon took less than what GAF originally calculated.

After rewards, they had exactly $2,626,429, which is, quite frankly, a bit disappointing.

Now I'm back in the game. Whereas before, $3M would have been nice, now I'm all "HIGHER MUST GO HIGHER ARGGGHHHH".

Top Bottom