• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

pa22word

new update with a sexy screenshot:

74wvk30.jpg

Wow, the lighting looks like it's been significantly improved since the original alpha trailer released earlier this year. Looking great!

woah.
Ahoy there, weary traveler! This is Werewolf Wally, howlin' at you from radio station KPOW in heart of downtown Damonta! Are you tired? Hungry? Lost in the trackless reaches of the wastes? Then listen to this message from the Damonta Chamber of Commerce, and point your tired tootsies toward the friendliest little town in Arizona.

Damonta has everything a weary traveler could wish for, motel, bar, garage, diner, fresh water, scenic attractions, the best oldies station in Arizona, and the biggest scavenging center in the west! Our little town grew up in the ruins of an old military facility known as the DAvis-MONThAn Air Force Base - hence the name - and that base is the secret of our vibrant economy. Its big old airplane graveyard is a magnet for scavengers and scrap-metal merchants from all over, and the tech we've taken from all those old planes, robots and buildings has given the town the highest standard of living in Arizona. Ever heard of air conditioning, folks? Well, we got it, and you won't believe how good it feels.

aw this sounds so good. I'm already in the perfect mood for this now

Fjordson

hm sounds like it. *-* didn't say anything about music though...
if there is confirmation on this I'll need to change my pants.
Well in that little flavor text section it says

"Damonta has everything a weary traveler could wish for, motel, bar, garage, diner, fresh water, scenic attractions, the best oldies station in Arizona"

Well in that little flavor text section it says

"Damonta has everything a weary traveler could wish for, motel, bar, garage, diner, fresh water, scenic attractions, the best oldies station in Arizona"

damn you're right. I somehow only noticed the "howlin' " part at the beginning.
this is excellent, I just hope they'll have a slightly wider array of songs compared to fallout:nv, where the songs (while being awesome) just kept looping over and over after some time.

Orlandu84

damn you're right. I somehow only noticed the "howlin' " part at the beginning.
this is excellent, I just hope they'll have a slightly wider array of songs compared to fallout:nv, where the songs (while being awesome) just kept looping over and over after some time.

I have to agree fully with your hope. I still listen to Fallout 3's soundtrack from time to time, but I found New Vegas's too small for some reason. The immersion created by that touch made Fallout 3 a richer experience for me. Still, the more I see of Wasteland 2, the more I want to play it!

FACE

Banned
I have to agree fully with your hope. I still listen to Fallout 3's soundtrack from time to time, but I found New Vegas's too small for some reason. The immersion created by that touch made Fallout 3 a richer experience for me. Still, the more I see of Wasteland 2, the more I want to play it!

I hope the OST is nothing like Fallout 3's. Gimme dat ambient Mark Morgan goodness.

I hope the OST is nothing like Fallout 3's. Gimme dat ambient Mark Morgan goodness.

why not both.
good thing about radio or jukeboxes or similar stuff is that you can turn it on and off. at least in most cases.

edit: okay that's how it is:
While I'm not saying the radio never has music, you shouldn't imagine it as a radio station a la GTA. It's mostly there for atmosphere, commands, communication, chatter, etc.

zkylon

zkylewd
I doubt the game will feature licensed songs, maybe one or two like in the old fallout games but a full-on radio ala fallout 3 is probably a big nope.

I think the radio is gonna be more like a feedback thing for your actions, like ranger hq mentioning on the ramifications of your last mission and such

Oh, sure.

Wasn't the update just before this one a gameplay one though? We've now talked about the character system, and talked about and shown combat, dialog and inventory. I certainly have plans for digging deeper into such systems in future updates, revisiting them, etc, but suggestions are welcome; what gameplay systems talk is damned? Skills follow-up is on the list, if that's the question.

FACE

Banned
Oh, sure.

Wasn't the update just before this one a gameplay one though? We've now talked about the character system, and talked about and shown combat, dialog and inventory. I certainly have plans for digging deeper into such systems in future updates, revisiting them, etc, but suggestions are welcome; what gameplay systems talk is damned? Skills follow-up is on the list, if that's the question.

:)

On that note, will skills affect starting equipment? It sorta bummed me on Fallout that my guy with a high energy weapon skill started with a 10mm pistol(although that'd probably be hard to balance).

zkylon

zkylewd
cool, UI was the one thing I hated about the gameplay demo

it just looked so obtrusive and inventory was fallout3-ish. I want detailed icons darn it :3

duckroll

I don't care for the "customization" of the UI, but I never did from day one. I want the default to be nice and functional, and that's good enough for me. This UI design in general is a HUGE improvement over the original one they showed with the gameplay video. The biggest and best change is the way text is displayed. Changing it from a computer read out thing into typewriter text makes it so much easier to read and focus on. Great decision there. :)

The rest looks nice too, but I probably won't be able to tell how good it is in functionality until I actually get my hands on it.

mclem

Of course it's placeholder, but even so, I *hate* that 'end turn' button. But that got me paying more attention, and now I want to know what the icon to its left represents.

Fjordson

I don't care for the "customization" of the UI, but I never did from day one. I want the default to be nice and functional, and that's good enough for me. This UI design in general is a HUGE improvement over the original one they showed with the gameplay video. The biggest and best change is the way text is displayed. Changing it from a computer read out thing into typewriter text makes it so much easier to read and focus on. Great decision there. :)

The rest looks nice too, but I probably won't be able to tell how good it is in functionality until I actually get my hands on it.
Agreed. Looks nice!

Labadal

A big improvement in the UI department. I'll probably leave it like in the top screen. Keep all of it at the bottom of the screen.

Could use a little more polish, but the core of it is nice. Very 80s tech with the PCB/module/dot matrix printer feed. Also, Highpool and descriptive text logs!!!

UI screenshots:

Default:

Customisation example:

(We can talk screenshots freely here, can't we? If not I'll delete them.)

hate to be that person but I kinda liked the old UI more :S
I mean there are some good changes here but the style still seems a bit "too much". I hoped for something simpler than that.

I've been missing a lot of updates, is this still on course for an October release? Just curious, looking like I'm gonna have a gap between September and March, would be nice timing :p

I like how the UI is so minimalist, and that even with this you guys have managed to give it a 'cobbled-together-from-bits-of-destroyed-tech' look.

FACE

Banned
http://throughtheaftermath.blogspot.com.br/2013/07/episode-50.html

Welcome back to this very special episode number 50! In it, we're joined by InXile Entertainment's Brian Fargo and Nathan Long.

Brian Fargo is the original founder of Interplay and creator of such classic games as Bard's Tale, Neuromancer, and our favorite: Wasteland.

Nathan Long is an author and screenwriter probably most famous for his series of novels based on the Warhammer universe. He's currently the lead writer on Wasteland 2.

pa22word

Brian Fargo said:
I wanted to give you all an update on the progress of Wasteland 2 and to answer some of the questions I have received on production. I can happily announce that we remain well financed for development, thus allowing us to ship a product without compromise.

This is primarily due to our disciplined spending, project planning and the benefit of our back catalog sales to cover any extra product features and content we loved.

This just reinforces everything I thought about this project, and inXile in general at this point. I continue to be glad I backed this project and Torment, while at the same time happy I didn't put anything towards the development of a certain other KS project that wasn't so frugal with its spending of the money fans gave them.

Top Bottom