• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 Kickstarter project by inXile entertainment [Ended, $3 Million Funded]

Kvik

Then, if we are to play Inventory Tetris again, I would like to see a clean, pageable inventory page, much like

deus-ex-human-revolution-inventory.jpg

and probably not like this

3449.jpg

Perkel

Banned
Inventory tetris is the best tetris.

Personally i would love that they would use slot idea combined with weight system.

- Big slot (big weapon/gun much like fallout1/2)
- Small slot (sidearm like knife/pistol)
- 4 one tile small slots for: ammunition devided by clips/magazines also for medkit/bandage, granades, drugs etc.

Backpack space which in combat would be very costly to go into (like 2 turns)

I would love if they implement magazines/clip mechanic

I would love if they implement magazines/clip mechanic

They better since it's part of WL1 combat risks with choosing to reload instead of run out or to go with spending the rest of the capacity in the phase.

Man, I hope they don't adopt anything like the more realistic inventories of the games you guys have posted. WL1 was nice because there was basically no annoying limits to weight or size. Say no to backpack Tetris.

Perkel

Banned
They better since it's part of WL1 combat risks with choosing to reload instead of run out or to go with spending the rest of the capacity in the phase.

Man, I hope they don't adopt anything like the more realistic inventories of the games you guys have posted. WL1 was nice because there was basically no annoying limits to weight or size. Say no to backpack Tetris.

No what i was talking is not simply reload.

In fallout 1/2 you have stack of bullets. For example you have in your 9mm pistol 12 bullets.
You run out of bullets and then:

normal fallout style mechanic:

you just hit reload and character just reloads 9mm from stack of bullets magically putting all bullets into magazine instantly.

magazine/clip mechanic:

You hit reload and your character need to have magazines/clip full of bullets. If you shoot out all 3 magazines you will need to take action to reload magazines which will take a lot of time because they need to be first taken out of your backpack or those magazines need to be scavenged off enemy corpse.

I played few board games with mechanic like that and if anyone played Jagged Alliance 2 then you know what i am talking about. It is really engaging tactically to players and this also completely block cheating through the game spraying bullets.

You can't just reload your magazine with 3 bullets when you have only one more magazine.

In fallout 1/2 you have stack of bullets. For example you have in your 9mm pistol 12 bullets.

you just hit reload and character just reloads 9mm from stack of bullets magically putting all bullets into magazine instantly.

magazine/clip mechanic:

You hit reload and your character need to have magazines/clip full of bullets. If you shoot out all 3 magazines you will need to take action to reload magazines which will take a lot of time because they need to be first taken out of your backpack or those magazines need to be scavenged off enemy corpse.

I played few board games with mechanic like that and if anyone played Jagged Alliance 2 then you know what i am talking about. It is really engaging tactically to players and this also completely block cheating through the game spraying bullets.

You can't just reload your magazine with 3 bullets when you have only one more magazine.

Oh, okay. I remember now. Could be good in WL2, especially in a tactical sense when having to choose to have party members cover a reloading player instead of something else. I'd be into it.

for me there was never a doubt it will be inventory tetris. I thought they even said so before, not entirely sure though...couldn't imagine it any other way but we'll see

Perkel

Banned
Oh, okay. I remember now. Could be good in WL2, especially in a tactical sense when having to choose to have party members cover a reloading player instead of something else. I'd be into it.

This mechanic also influences how you equip your characters.

It is better to equip 4 dudes with ak47 than each of them with different ammo type weapon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Looks good, I like being able to tag stuff as favorites, will be handy for frequently used things like lockpicks and healing items.

zkylon

zkylewd
a bit too busy on the flashy stuff and the actual inventory is very bland (no pretty item icons T_T).

the auto-favorite loot thing sounds like a good idea

JDSN

Banned
I can see what they are going for but I hate that different colored teslapunk look, but looks very cluthered. I hope they remove the sparkling crap too. Otherwise decent job considering its 7 characters.

Naito

Mmh... my first impression is that it feels there isn't much attention to the details
(as in not polished enough). Doesn't help the category icons are bland.

Purkake4

Banned
a bit too busy on the flashy stuff and the actual inventory is very bland (no pretty item icons T_T).

the auto-favorite loot thing sounds like a good idea

I can see what they are going for but I hate that different colored teslapunk look, but looks very cluthered. I hope they remove the sparkling crap too. Otherwise decent job considering its 7 characters.
Agreed. It does look very WRPG-y, but I'd prefer clean functionality over flashy lights.

Perkel

Banned
Developers should learn already that LIST based inventory is not good choice for PC game which use mouse. Thanks to that you see mostly few items instead of all on one screen.

FACE

Banned

magazine/clip mechanic:

Developers should learn already that LIST based inventory is not good choice for PC game which use mouse. Thanks to that you see mostly few items instead of all on one screen.

Yes! A thousand times yes!

Perkel

Banned
I'm not completely against list based inventory, but I think what they have right now doesn't show enough items at once.

That is problem with list based inventories.

Also list based inventory encourage devs to put shit ton of meaningless loot where loot whore players most of the time complain about weight cap (since they pick up everything). Thanks to this also economy is most of the time busted (sell x 1000 daggers to buy Ebony armor anyone ?)

Personally i would love combination of The Witcher 1 inventory and JA2. So if you don't have a backpack then you can't pickup more than one additional weapon (to sell or use). With backpack 2-3 but those weapons are big so you can't just add other random crap.

So ideally fully armed soldier would have:

- main weapon + sidearm (main slot + sidearm slot)
- 3 magazines for main weapon, one for sidearm + grenade (5 slots depending on your vest type)
- Backpack with 3x3 grid where main weapons take 3 slots, bandages/granades/magazines 1 slot for example: 1 loot weapon to sell, 2 granades, 2 bandages, 2 magazines for main weapon.

Thanks to something like this tactic will be a lot more demanding from player. No useless whore looting for 1 caps glass bottles.

Also to fight with loot whoring i would introduce dynamic economy system where shopkeeper would set prices by demand not by some artificial standard.

For example. He has like 10 shells. With each shell sold he would increase price a lot but with each shell bought price would fall. So after selling out 5 daggers rest of 955 daggers would be 0 worth.

aw hell naw :(
I really expected a grid. lists just don't provide enough overview. I agree with most of you..something more "cleaner" that seems less cluttered would have been better.
but it's not like you couldn't get used to list inventories, it's just not as intuitive to handle imo.

zkylon

zkylewd
That is problem with list based inventories.

Also list based inventory encourage devs to put shit ton of meaningless loot where loot whore players most of the time complain about weight cap (since they pick up everything). Thanks to this also economy is most of the time busted (sell x 1000 daggers to buy Ebony armor anyone ?)

Personally i would love combination of The Witcher 1 inventory and JA2. So if you don't have a backpack then you can't pickup more than one additional weapon (to sell or use). With backpack 2-3 but those weapons are big so you can't just add other random crap.

So ideally fully armed soldier would have:

- main weapon + sidearm (main slot + sidearm slot)
- 3 magazines for main weapon, one for sidearm + grenade (5 slots depending on your vest type)
- Backpack with 3x3 grid where main weapons take 3 slots, bandages/granades/magazines 1 slot for example: 1 loot weapon to sell, 2 granades, 2 bandages, 2 magazines for main weapon.

Thanks to something like this tactic will be a lot more demanding from player. No useless whore looting for 1 caps glass bottles.

Also to fight with loot whoring i would introduce dynamic economy system where shopkeeper would set prices by demand not by some artificial standard.

For example. He has like 10 shells. With each shell sold he would increase price a lot but with each shell bought price would fall. So after selling out 5 daggers rest of 955 daggers would be 0 worth.
yup, this sounds perfect to me

dude

dude
I like the system they showed. I think it fits the game. I don't have a special attachment to inventory Tetris, and I think what they showed looks functional and easy.

Aselith

Yeah, to me the ability to sort by different criteria like weight and value is huge.

I also like the tabs on the side to switch between characters and drag and drop objects to the different characters. Often inventories are for specific dudes and then you have to back out and go back in to move between or go to a different trading menu to move stuff around.

It feels very clean overall.

Wait, really? I'm probably becoming senile then.

You may be confusing it with Torment, for which we did offer alpha access to certain tiers, and as an add-on, though it'll be fairly limited, systems test kind of alpha.

For Wasteland 2 we're keeping the alpha internal, do some iteration and polish, and open it up for the beta.

FACE

Banned
You may be confusing it with Torment, for which we did offer alpha access to certain tiers, and as an add-on, though it'll be fairly limited, systems test kind of alpha.

For Wasteland 2 we're keeping the alpha internal, do some iteration and polish, and open it up for the beta.

I see, thanks for clearing it up :)

Fjordson

I apologize for this probably redundant question, but is W2 still aiming at a 2013 release? Assuming I didn't imagine that and it was actually a target release window.

I apologize for this probably redundant question, but is W2 still aiming at a 2013 release? Assuming I didn't imagine that and it was actually a target release window.

Still tracking for October 2013. We do have the capacity to delay slightly if needed, but right now we're still on track.

Top Bottom