• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Moff

has anyone played as a psychotic killer gang and can tell what happens?
I'm afraid the game might really bug on that
I killed everyone in highpool and nobody said anything about it after the first radio message. after that, even vargas himself (who radioed in about kiling everyone) only praises me for saving highpool after that, just like everyone else.

so I'm wondering if the game is even completable if you act evil.
you get introduced to the hunters early on, so I guess if you just start killing people they will be sent to deal with you at some Point. will you be kicked out of the rangers after that? is there a bad ending or anthing like it? is there a clear path you can go as an evil party?

batfax

I remember in a pre-release interview that Fargo mentioned you could be a totally murderous bunch of jerks and eventually change the story from "Kill or be killed by the rangers" and it would have it's own ending, but it would completely skip the second half of the game.

Aselith

Is there a way to save
Highpool and AG Center?
I feel bad about how that ended up.

I'm thinking you might be able to
if you leave Highpool after stopping the main attack and go do Ag Center then come back to Highpool?
Might not work though due to the reservoir situation.

Lord Phol

Enjoying this game alot more than I thought I would. The combat feels good and satisfying, and even thought there's alot of it I've yet to grow tired. My team consists of:

• Vinny "The Jaw" - The smart-ass pistol wielding leader.
  • Doc Death - The crazy Medic who loves the close-up and messy kind of surgery with his shotgun in hand.
  • Phantom - The Silent Sniper type with an eye for finding traps and hidden things.
  • Amy - The youngest member of the group, enjoys the heavy guns and brawling, also has an affinity for computers.
I have no problems at all with the UI and I like the way everything is presented, feels quite unique.

Alebelly

I would like for items that you discover, if applicable, to have the option to add them to a characters hot bar without having to go into inventory. Not a big deal, just would be more efficient for some of the quest items.

Denton

So, how many hours does your steam display of Wasteland 2 being played? I started on Saturday and have 20 hours played. Pretty crazy. But the game has that old school magic, so it's hard to stop playing.

Alebelly

So, how many hours does your steam display of Wasteland 2 being played? I started on Saturday and have 20 hours played. Pretty crazy. But the game has that old school magic, so it's hard to stop playing.

Mine is at just under 20, spent a lot of time just messing about, which has been very enjoyable. Good stuff!

Gazoinks

I have a red circle showing my weapon range.

Oh, that's what that is! Thanks. It isn't really what I thought in that case. What I'd really like is something that colored the area surrounding you in red, green, or yellow depending on your weapon's range so it was easier to line up shots with optimum accuracy. Unless I'm missing something, you kind of have to guess at distances right now.

Also, question about Ambush: Does it activate when enemies enter you range at all or only when they enter your optimal green range? And how exactly does it work with melee? I've set up melee ambushes only to have an enemy walk right up to the guy doing the ambushing with nothing happening.

Mine's only at 6, but I'd been finishing up KI:U. I'm ready to go all-in now!

Moff

I dont think I ever saw an ambush miss, but that might be coincidence

I remember in a pre-release interview that Fargo mentioned you could be a totally murderous bunch of jerks and eventually change the story from "Kill or be killed by the rangers" and it would have it's own ending, but it would completely skip the second half of the game.

well I'm all for harsh consequences, but missing out half of the game for playing evil doesnt sound very pleasing

I dont think I ever saw an ambush miss, but that might be coincidence

well I'm all for harsh consequences, but missing out half of the game for playing evil doesnt sound very pleasing

The content is surely a little different going that route, even if it is shorter.

The game is sort of designed around you being a desert ranger though, not a clean slate adult like the fallouts which is probably why that route is shorter.

Rizzi

So there's a
Davey Crockett
in the Ranger HQ.
I'm assuming that with a high enough
demolition skill
something fun happens?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Does anybody know what the
Bloodstaff
is for? I found one in a toaster and they are mentioned during the museum tour so I guess I need it later for something?

Xanathus

Does anybody know what the
Bloodstaff
is for? I found one in a toaster and they are mentioned during the museum tour so I guess I need it later for something?

You probably just turn it in for XP and stuff at the museum guy. All the junk from toasters are like that. I probably wouldn't pick up any toaster repair skill on my next playthrough.

Also, question about Ambush: Does it activate when enemies enter you range at all or only when they enter your optimal green range? And how exactly does it work with melee? I've set up melee ambushes only to have an enemy walk right up to the guy doing the ambushing with nothing happening.

Any targetable enemy moving or attacking will trigger ambush, regardless of the consequences.

I'm shocked Ambush works on melee attacks. The problem might be that melee range is a little screwy on them - you'll see this if you free aim at a target using said weapon.

Fantastapotamus

Any targetable enemy moving or attacking will trigger ambush, regardless of the consequences.

I'm shocked Ambush works on melee attacks. The problem might be that melee range is a little screwy on them - you'll see this if you free aim at a target using said weapon.

Melee-Ambush is actually quite effective, especially against animals cause they need to get close.

I was at about 45 hours during the early access beta where it cuts off before the 2nd half of the game
when you head to California

Who is this freaky
Provost
dude and why is he fighting with me?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/05/wasteland-2-release/

"I put this other character in, it’s just this odd moment and I love reading people trying to figure it out, he’s named Probost [sic]. You’re playing the game, and all of a sudden somebody starts following you. He says nothing. He won’t speak to you, he’s just following you. You go into combat and he’ll actually get into combat with you and help you. Then he just goes away. Never a word. The conjecture about what it means is fantastic. And if you kill him for no reason, he drops an Owl of Minerva, which is an Illuminati thing. There are some other Illuminati references in LA, so was he related? I love those moments where it’s ‘what did it mean?’ I love the non-sequitur stuff."

My first time through Highpool it happened effortlessly, the second time, I kept clicking on her and nothing was happening, so I thought maybe opening the cage was the trigger, nope

I'm pretty sure you need to
save her from the kids who are harassing her by giving them a slingshot and marbles, or by giving them cigarettes.

zonezeus

Is there any way to actually enter
The Prison
and kill Commander Whatshisname? The guy didn't lie, these turrets are absurd.

Fantastapotamus

Seriously.

Leve L'Upe cave can go fuck itself, too. I came out of that place in ribbons with almost no ammo left.

Also a terrible pun. It's not even a play on words, just dumb.
Somebody at inXile has a pretty dumb sense of humor, I'm just glad they took the "Red Boots DLC" pun out of the game,

Moff

Also a terrible pun. It's not even a play on words, just dumb.
Somebody at inXile has a pretty dumb sense of humor, I'm just glad they took the "Red Boots DLC" pun out of the game,

nah, that dlc is still in, it isnt always displayed though

probably the same guy who put a hobo with a shotgun companion in the game

Anybody know of a way to change character portraits once you already started the game?

I'm pretty sure you need to
save her from the kids who are harassing her by giving them a slingshot and marbles, or by giving them cigarettes.

Yeah, I was so afraid they'd instead start shooting her with the marbles I would have then supplied them with.

Fantastapotamus

Now, I'm not a gun expert or anything, but I feel like it's a bit weird that the M16 not only does more damage than my sniper rifle but also has a higher range. Am I crazy? You can tell me if I'm crazy.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Now, I'm not a gun expert or anything, but I feel like it's a bit weird that the M16 not only does more damage than my sniper rifle but also has a higher range. Am I crazy? You can tell me if I'm crazy.

No gun expert either, but maybe it's because of the types? I mean, my Hyundai today has more horepower than a racecar from 5 decades ago.

M16 is pretty much from 5 decades ago though. However, maybe it's due to the type of ammo used in this particular sniper rifle?

Well the sniper rifles in this game really aren't used as sniper rifles, all the combat takes place at really close ranges. It's weird that the M16 has a longer range but maybe it's just a tier above and the next level of sniper rifles will get even longer?

Well the sniper rifles in this game really aren't used as sniper rifles, all the combat takes place at really close ranges. It's weird that the M16 has a longer range but maybe it's just a tier above and the next level of sniper rifles will get even longer?

Yup, one would hope.

They really do need to rebalance assault rifles. I haven't got an M16 yet, but I have two people with AR training carrying HK33s, and they tear stuff up. Their burst mode often does several times as much damage as a sniper round for the same AP cost.

Oh yeah, I found something in the Rail Nomads camp...I can't remember what it was called. Maybe one of you found it. It was a two word name and it was something like Lux Aeterna. It had the weird Ae letter.

I think I screwed up because I turned it in at the Ranger Citadel requisition lady as a curiosity. However, another quest has led me to believe that you can turn these things in to the people who want the item, or to the requisition desk if you want a requisition instead. Details on the other quest in the Rail Nomads camp:

A guy with a bunch of video game systems wanted a CD-I. I got one later, and discovered that I could give it to him for 100 scrap, or turn it into Ranger Citadel requisition for an extra requisition. I took the requisition because those items seem great and unique compared to just getting $100.

So I expect somebody to want that item later and I won't have it...

Violet_0

Banned
okay, so I'm in the AG Center Eastern Fields
with no ammo, badly wounded and poisoned (9000 seconds), playing on hard. Can I go back to the Ranger base and get ammo and healing packs without dying of the poison? Otherwise, how in the fuck am I supposed to kill the 6 rabbits in the barn? The guy in the AG Center doesn't sell munition

okay, so I'm in the AG Center Eastern Fields
with no ammo, badly wounded and poisoned (9000 seconds), playing on hard. Can I go back to the Ranger base and get ammo and healing packs without dying of the poison? Otherwise, how in the fuck am I supposed to kill the 6 rabbits in the barn? The guy in the AG Center doesn't sell munition

I'm not sure. I personally have no qualms about save scumming a bit so
I never got infected.
I guess hard mode is hard. Maybe you could've leveled up a bit more in the wastes earlier, or it could be an attributes balance thing.

If you do end up having to start over, I wonder if you could go to the Rail Nomad Camp first and pick up 2 extra followers very easily, before heading to Ag Center.

EVOL 100%

Okay, having trouble with the prison

How do you get rid of those turrets? I just plowed my way through and killed everybody I met pretty much and I'm stumped on what should I do

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
They really do need to rebalance assault rifles. I haven't got an M16 yet, but I have two people with AR training carrying HK33s, and they tear stuff up. Their burst mode often does several times as much damage as a sniper round for the same AP cost.

I think that the cost is supposed to be in the chewing through bullet reserves (especially with two people using them) and lowered hit chance, but if you are in cover/crouch, and have anyone with a leadership stat, it can offset a good chunk of it, and HKs are pretty common in Arizona.

Okay, having trouble with the prison

Basically, you need to come back later. It's semi-plot related.

In order to get rid of the turrets, you need a tank tread for the old robot sitting in front of the white rock 'line'. You'll get it in a later story area with a lot of robots.

The references in this game are amazing. inXile knows their pop culture well.

Also, as low-fi as the visuals can be sometimes, I can't help but appreciate all of the death animations/destructability they put into the game. Battlefields really look it after a fight. Sorta reminds me of XCOM, in a way.... only better.

Top Bottom