• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

I flagged an item as junk and it vanished from my inventory along with further pickups. Can I fix this or should I reload?

Items flagged as junk are hidden away in their own category in the inventory. IIRC it's the right-most category, which will list everything the current character has flagged as junk. Note that it ONLY puts things there that have been flagged, not items simply described as "junk." If you accidentally flag something, looking through there is where you find it.

If it isn't there at all, then, yes, you'd have to reload because something went wrong.

Also note that you can sell ALL junk-flagged items at a shop with the click of a button (found on the bottom of the shop menu).

Grayman

Items flagged as junk are hidden away in their own category in the inventory. IIRC it's the right-most category, which will list everything the current character has flagged as junk. Note that it ONLY puts things there that have been flagged, not items simply described as "junk." If you accidentally flag something, looking through there is where you find it.

You can sell ALL junk-flagged items at a shop with the click of a button (found on the bottom of the shop menu).

Perfect thank you. I knew about selling all as junk so I thought it may show up in that screen later too. The item was
bat shit which is described as "junk" but TNT Tan wants it.

People who are still using terrible weapons need to fight a few random battles in the wastelands, how I got two great assault weapons for my people who used them.

Bit of a spoiler (story area after you finish highpool/Ag center) but does
Angela Deth leave for good after the canyons or does she make good on her promise to come back? Could really throw off my builds.

painey

so am I missing something, or is the game supposed to be stupidly dificult? I'm on the 2nd lowest difficulty, fighting some rabbits, but my guys % of hitting is insanely low all the time (40% for shotguns, 30% for blades) when im standing RIGHT next to the enemies. The enemies hit 90%+ and for huge damage, and I am literally surrounding an enemy with melee, pistols, assault rifles and shotguns and going entire turns of missing every shot. Everyone with a weapon has at least 3 points put into it, and yet can't hit shit..

so am I missing something, or is the game supposed to be stupidly dificult? I'm on the 2nd lowest difficulty, fighting some rabbits, but my guys % of hitting is insanely low all the time (40% for shotguns, 30% for blades) when im standing RIGHT next to the enemies. The enemies hit 90%+ and for huge damage, and I am literally surrounding an enemy with melee, pistols, assault rifles and shotguns and going entire turns of missing every shot. Everyone with a weapon has at least 3 points put into it, and yet can't hit shit..

For starters, make sure your characters have skills for the weapon they're using. Be sure to use semicolon (";") to crouch, or find cover, to improve your aim AND evasion. Finding higher ground will give you an immense bonus to hit, as well. Enemies standing nearby may give a to hit pentalty debuff, so watch out for that.

Keep in mind that some weapons have different optimal ranges than others. SMGs are very good for point-blank combat. Shotguns are more useful for destroying cover or hitting multiple enemies, less so for single-target attacks. Assault rifles are good at range or up close, but have less damage potential than sniper rifles at range, or SMGs up close. I haven't used pistols, but they seem to be low-AP, low-damage, useful for finishing off or weakening enemies. Don't use energy weapons, sniper rifles (unless at range), or heavy weapons against them - it's downright inefficient.

Any melee weapon would work, but that can be tough...

An easy way to take care of them is via the Animal Whisperer skill. Decent skill check, and it makes them leave the map.

The thing about the rabbits is they're FAST. So of course they're hard to hit. But they have very low HP, all things considered, and a few lucky hits can end them. Plus, they're friggin' rabbits. Their feet are lucky, so imagine how lucky a whole one is?

Fighting against the rabbits conjures imagines in mind of the Monty Python's killer bunny. It's about the same, all things considered...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
GOD F*%#*§$
I just killed a companion cause me sniper missed the enemy and crited her for like 70 damage. Instant death. Goodbye Rose, I actually never likd you.

But COME ON. It looked like this, what are the chances?

R---------------------E----S
R Rose
E Enemy
S Sniper.

Conezays

After you can actually buy a sniper rifle, they start one-shotting weaker enemies, but for some strange reason, my guy never seems to be doing more than 60 damage in one shot, while the assault rifle users are doing right around that in a single burst, not counting lucky crits. It uses more ammo per burst, yet the ammo is way more common. It's not too much of an issue once you can start buying ammo, but it still kind of matters when you're on the field and don't want to have to keep backtracking to the Citadel.

Transmorpher, Teddy Ruxpin, Sgt. Peppard...

Damn, yeah, my assault character(s) are definitely not that strong yet, due to putting more into quest-related stats. May have to rethink now Lol.

AHA-Lambda

oh come on, I just saw on here that
Angela leaves your party not long from where I am currently

Can you get her back later? That's going to completely throw off my party set up, come to fuck >_<

Dex815

GOD F*%#*§$
I just killed a companion cause me sniper missed the enemy and crited her for like 70 damage. Instant death. Goodbye Rose, I actually never likd you.

R Rose
E Enemy
S Sniper.

Is worst when that happens while waiting in ambush mode... :/

Sanctuary

If I had to play it again, I would go to the
Ag Center to grab Rose then head straight to Highpool
if that's even possible. Ag Center SUCKS with the starting weapons and those rabbits (as well as the fun exploder types) are over tuned to the max. They are rabbits though, so it's not surprising that they have a huge evasion. What the problem is, is that they also have a jacked up movement/speed and can move great distances and then hit a character like the Juggernaut.

Man this game is really hard. I am on normal difficulty and the first enemy encounter destroys my entire squad. The second enemy encounter which was ONE toad killed one of my party. It doesnt help that every single person has a 50% chance to hit...and each character dies in one hit by a toad.

Pilgrimzero

Help!

One of my Rangers is infected with the pod stuff. I've given the cure stuff to the scientist and she made a cure and cured her friend... well how do I get her to cure me as well?

Vaporak

Help!

One of my Rangers is infected with the pod stuff. I've given the cure stuff to the scientist and she made a cure and cured her friend... well how do I get her to cure me as well?

Just finish the AG center questline, the last thing that happens is she gives you some of the serum and if you use it to cure the facility it cures your party to.

AHA-Lambda

I did the unthinkable.....I edited my save xml file to add points...........I know, i know.......i was weak........sigh.................

I actually have to ask, how does one do this?

One of my party is completely useless by now it seems as I've made him a jack of all trades and I don't want to start over.

PS: Steam won't ban me or anything daft like that would they?

Does the Demolition skill really impact grenades, LAWs etc.? If so, I can't tell how.

If you mouse-over the skill it tells you what it does.

Demolition is for disarming traps, and that's all I've used it for thus far.

Steam only monitors VAC-secured titles, which I would avoid modding. VAC is purely for multiplayer games to control cheating.

Wasteland 2 doesn't use VAC, so there should be zero problems with modding that game in particular. W2 even encourages you to mod, by showing you how to add new custom portraits into the game.

Dresden

Smashing the rail thieves is yielding some good loot. Got my first Bullpup, and it's killing me that my sniper-perception lead doesn't have 10 AP.

AHA-Lambda

Steam only monitors VAC-secured titles, which I would avoid modding. VAC is purely for multiplayer games to control cheating.

Wasteland 2 doesn't use VAC, so there should be zero problems with modding that game in particular. W2 even encourages you to mod, by showing you how to add new custom portraits into the game.

Oh cool, that's good to know. How does one go about editing xml files then?

Skab

GOD F*%#*§$

R Rose
E Enemy
S Sniper.

That's X-Com!

...wait

I actually think the level design and AI hold back the combat more than anything else, especially on the random encounters. Too many enemies just charge you blindly, and the cover system, elevation, flanking are all not used enough. You just get dropped in dull, flat, empty areas and shoot at approaching enemies until they stop approaching, sometimes running backwards. Also there are balance issues, with ARs and snipers kind of outclassing everything else (at least so far; I'll see what happens when I encounter heavily armored enemies).

I hope inXile don't just drop this one and we see a lot of post-release support.

And Wasteland 3, of course.

painey

godamnit! I ran away from the rabbits to go save another group of NPC's, killed all enemies, and it wouldn't let me leave combat. It put me in combat with the rabbits that were half a map away.. I couldn't see an end combat button like Fallout had so I had to quit and lost 30 mins of progress. I'm getting more and more frustrated with this game :(

Grayman

So what impacts throwing weapons (grenades) and rockets?

They seem to work great with no skills! I need to applaud this game for having great grenades. In the classic fallouts they were ok if the situation allowed the AOE to do a lot but they did less damage than just shooting enemies usually.

kd-z

5 hours in and I can confirm that this game is legit. I'm almost done with Highpool, but have one question:
I did all the quests, fixed the irrigation system, killed the Wreckers in their hideout and the lady still doesn't want to start a new vote! How come? One last thing I can do is treat the doctor's patients, but my medic is not skilled enough in Surgeon.

Sanctuary

Speaking of
Rose
, she seriously has the worst AI I have ever seen. She's constantly running away from the group, rushing into hard hitting enemies to shoot them point blank with a pistol. With how often this actually happens, it's like the developers tried to take the "gamey" approach, not the "realistic" approach and it's their way of making CHA/Leadership "useful" aside from the hit% bonus.

It's some truly awful shit. Even in the Baldur's Gate games where you had a morale check, most of the times the character would run away and refuse to fight, not rush headlong into death.

Dresden

You can't trust those damn recruits. Only your Ranger brothers and sisters.

And fuck Angie, why won't she let my melee ranger use Ace's wrench?

Oh cool, that's good to know. How does one go about editing xml files then?

No idea. IIRC they can be opened with notepad and edited from there.

There's no doubt a guide somewhere.

So what impacts throwing weapons (grenades) and rockets?

I haven't tried them yet. But those weapons don't seem to be tied to anything, presumably for "oh shit" encounters that you're stuck on.

I actually think the level design and AI hold back the combat more than anything else, especially on the random encounters. Too many enemies just charge you blindly, and the cover system, elevation, flanking are all not used enough. You just get dropped in dull, flat, empty areas and shoot at approaching enemies until they stop approaching, sometimes running backwards. Also there are balance issues, with ARs and snipers kind of outclassing everything else (at least so far; I'll see what happens when I encounter heavily armored enemies).

I hope inXile don't just drop this one and we see a lot of post-release support.

And Wasteland 3, of course.

The encounter design is very old-fashioned. An easy example is flying enemies: they are, for all intents and purposes, ground units. They can't fly over obstacles or fly up and down to reach different heights. Similarly, monster enemies cannot climb ladders which leads to their AI doing nothing when an enemy is attacking them from, say, a roof.

Fortunately the human enemies are OK so far. They actively use cover and flank my units, always attempting to attack as effectively as possible.

The strangest thing is how enemies in general target units. It might have to do with perceived harm to my team, or AP costs or something, but some enemies spend a lot of time moving and attacking different targets. Or, in the case of (ag center enemy)
Infected Pod People
, they don't attack at all, instead opting to walk up and sit beside my team (I can only assume the ag center enemy does this because of their on death effect).

Compared to something like XCOM, the combat leaves a lot to be desired. Part of it is due to the randomness inherent to the random encounter design, but most of it is downright archaic and old-fashioned. The flying enemies in particular are a real lazy move. It's a real bummer, especially when certain other RPGs (or XCOM itself) put so much effort into making the combat interesting, tactical, and innovative.

Gothos

I think that leadership aura is bugged. My Leadership tooltip clearly says my char should give +6% hit chance and while in combat the tooltip for those little Leadership aura flags say 3% :(

Oh, and I couldn't resolve the Rail traders conflict. Eh... Quick question about that zone:

Is it possible to find that first crashed train (Number 9 I think) that lat to the conflict between those tribes?

I think that leadership aura is bugged. My Leadership tooltip clearly says my char should give +6% hit chance and while in combat the tooltip for those little Leadership aura flags say 3% :(

Oh, and I couldn't resolve the Rail traders conflict. Eh... Quick question about that zone:

Is it possible to find that first crashed train (Number 9 I think) that lat to the conflict between those tribes?

I think they halved the bonus to accuracy and didn't update the tooltip or something. IIRC it's always half of what it should be. I'm not sure which value is actually being applied, though.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I actually have to ask, how does one do this?

One of my party is completely useless by now it seems as I've made him a jack of all trades and I don't want to start over.

The game doesn't even launch the Steam wrapper (no steam community overlay), they're in separate spaces completely. H4x away.

5 hours in and I can confirm that this game is legit. I'm almost done with Highpool, but have one question:
I did all the quests, fixed the irrigation system, killed the Wreckers in their hideout and the lady still doesn't want to start a new vote! How come? One last thing I can do is treat the doctor's patients, but my medic is not skilled enough in Surgeon.

Yeah, that's what you gotta do.
Maybe try killing them, I bet that outcome is accounted for ;)

My handguns-expert gunslinger character now has a laser pistol on his other hip. Kind of reminds me of Geralt from the Witcher. That one is for (armored) monsters...

What does ambush do exactly? Is it like X-Com's watch mode, where they shoot once an enemy comes into range?

Far as I can tell, yes. It sets them up to attack the next enemy that moves in range. I cannot recall offhand if it also triggers when an enemy attacks.

It costs +1 AP over a regular attack, though.

BeesEight

Damn it all, I'm going to restart. Fights are just too much of a wall right now
Prison and Rail Town
. I'm plinking the enemies for 20 damage, they're hitting back for double and I'm constantly outnumbered. There's not enough medpacks in the game to get through all this.

So, going completely stupid builds in Ranger isn't the best idea.

Sanctuary

You can't trust those damn recruits. Only your Ranger brothers and sisters.

And fuck Angie, why won't she let my melee ranger use Ace's wrench?

I would agree with you, except for the fact that you start the game as a recruit, with recruits, and Angie is a fully experienced Ranger; who also acts like a ditz in combat, but at least she has the health and firepower to back it up when she wants to "show you how it's done". My seventh character will be whoever has a minimum of 4 CHA and I am doing nothing but putting points into a single weapon and leadership. They can be my "Bard". +20% to hit is no joke, and allows you to use some weapons you aren't really proficient with.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Huh.

Just made it into
Cali
, and the enemies health pools have skyrocketed. Meanwhile, I'm not finding any vendors with better weapons yet. :/

Dresden

Man, the game just shifted a character's portrait on me. This is bothering me more than it should.

---

As an aside, I hate critical failures and I wish that the skill checks were absolute - not shifting chances of success with each rank invested, but rather, enforcing strict limits on what you can attempt and what you cannot; and if you can attempt it, it should just unlock. The current system just encourages save scumming and is prey to Murphy's Law.

Man, the game just shifted a character's portrait on me. This is bothering me more than it should.

---

As an aside, I hate critical failures and I wish that the skill checks were absolute - not shifting chances of success with each rank invested, but rather, enforcing strict limits on what you can attempt and what you cannot; and if you can attempt it, it should just unlock. The current system just encourages save scumming and is prey to Murphy's Law.

I don't really get why all skill checks take a moment to work. Surely the engine could do everything in the same way without the five second "IS IT GONNA WORK?" phase.

It's not like you're ever in danger of being caught, since there is no stealth system in place.

They could at least have the decency to include an Iron Man mode!

Maybe when the game is more stable...

Oooh, that would have been a good addition.

Fallout: New Vegas (not ironman, but hardcore mode), XCOM, and Expedition: Conquistador benefitted greatly from their respective enhanced difficulty modes.

Top Bottom