• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This game is really weird. On one hand I could probably write up a good 1000+ words on how bad or broken so many parts of the game are, what it did wrong, how it could be done way better, and in very obvious ways, and so on. Yet despite such odd or bad design in so many areas, none of it makes me dislike the game. In fact I just want to go home and play it for the rest of the day, which has become less common over the last few years. I'm really really enjoying it.

There's rarely a moment where I don't encounter some part of the game and go "Well that could have been done way better." But I still want and need to keep going despite it all.

Like the world map, it's OK. It's drab, no real personality or anything, but it serves its function more or less. What really blows about it though is its main side attraction, random encounters or should I say random fights because that's all they are. They're just not very good, they lack variety, realistic danger or any kind of personality. You just load into a map and enemies are nearby waiting for you to attack. That's it. The End. Compared to FO1/2's amazing random encounters, which went from standard fights to elaborate and amazing encounters with funny or crazy NPCs and Easter Eggs, it's really really bad.

But again none of this makes me dislike the game or want to stop playing. I wish I wasn't just starting working and could go home right now and just spend the day playing the game.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So can we get some impressions? I know many people are kind of biased towards this game because of Kickstarter and what it started, but judging the game solely on its merits, is it a good game? From what I've seen so far, I don't have a very good impression of it...

The graphics are pretty bad, the UI is horrible, the characters are blank slates, the combat servicable at best (compared to D:OS and xcom), so I'm not sure what's good about it.

The references in this game are amazing. inXile knows their pop culture well.

Also, as low-fi as the visuals can be sometimes, I can't help but appreciate all of the death animations/destructability they put into the game. Battlefields really look it after a fight. Sorta reminds me of XCOM, in a way.... only better.

Actually I think the visuals often look quite good, really. When I zoom in and take screenshots it's decently detailed, especially when you're not just out in the rocky desert.

EVOL 100%

I think that the cost is supposed to be in the chewing through bullet reserves (especially with two people using them) and lowered hit chance, but if you are in cover/crouch, and have anyone with a leadership stat, it can offset a good chunk of it, and HKs are pretty common in Arizona.

Basically, you need to come back later. It's semi-plot related.

In order to get rid of the turrets, you need a tank tread for the old robot sitting in front of the white rock 'line'. You'll get it in a later story area with a lot of robots.

Thanks. That's, uh, a weird design choice. I just have to go somewhere else? Huh.

So can we get some impressions? I know many people are mind of biased towards this game because of Kickstarter and what it started, but judging the game solely on its merits, is it a good game? From what I've seen so far, I don't have a very good impression of it...

From what I played so far, it's a good game. There's a lot of weird jank and headscratching design choices, but it's not enough to offset the fun you can have. If you like the old Infinity Engine games you'll probably like this

e_i

So I pledged the $65 for Torment and Wasteland 2. Then I made an account. So where's my Wasteland 2 game? Does it take them a few days to link the account with the pledge?

This game is really weird. On one hand I could probably write up a good 1000+ words on how bad or broken so many parts of the game are, what it did wrong, how it could be done way better, and in very obvious ways, and so on. Yet despite such odd or bad design in so many areas, none of it makes me dislike the game. In fact I just want to go home and play it for the rest of the day, which has become less common over the last few years. I'm really really enjoying it.

There's rarely a moment where I don't encounter some part of the game and go "Well that could have been done way better." But I still want and need to keep going despite it all.

Like the world map, it's OK. It's drab, no real personality or anything, but it serves its function more or less. What really blows about it though is its main side attraction, random encounters or should I say random fights because that's all they are. They're just not very good, they lack variety, realistic danger or any kind of personality. You just load into a map and enemies are nearby waiting for you to attack. That's it. The End. Compared to FO1/2's amazing random encounters, which went from standard fights to elaborate and amazing encounters with funny or crazy NPCs and Easter Eggs, it's really really bad.

But again none of this makes me dislike the game or want to stop playing. I wish I wasn't just starting working and could go home right now and just spend the day playing the game.

Pretty much how I feel, what this game needs is more polish. Hopefully with the sales they've been getting they'll eventually release a enhanced edition that addresses these issues

I had a slightly interesting random encounter this morning.

It was a merchant who said his stuff was the best around, and he wasn't willing to trade with me unless I proved my worth. Personally I was able to tell him I saved Ag Center, I negotiated peace at the Rail Nomad Camp, or that maybe 500 scrap would get him to trade with me. I told him about Ag Center and he was like "shiiiit, that was you guys? Well why didn't you say so?"

He was only selling some explosives and rockets and I didn't really need or want any of it, so I just exited. He got offended that I didn't buy anything from him and kinda threatened me with his bodyguards. I was able to try to buy from him again, or pay him some scrap to make up for it, or tell him that we were about to have a problem. I took the problematic route and he immediately attacked. Unfortunately I had to go to work so I didn't get to follow through. I wonder if he would've been carrying all his explosives, or used them against me...

Any ideas how to open a safe with an owl symbol in
Canyon of Titan
?

Oh snap, you might've discovered the use for
the Provost, the creepy guy who follows you around in Rail Nomad Camp. If you kill him, he drops a round seal type thing called the Owl of Minerva. Maybe it unlocks it?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
So can we get some impressions? I know many people are mind of biased towards this game because of Kickstarter and what it started, but judging the game solely on its merits, is it a good game? From what I've seen so far, I don't have a very good impression of it...

Like Enduin just said, it's got a good amount of old-school 'jank' associated with it, for better or worse.

It's also quite combat heavy, so if you were expecting to be able to avoid fighting, you're mostly out of luck.

But even with the jank and sometimes back-to-back-to-back random world encounters (which skipping requires investing points in an almost-otherwise-useless skill) I couldn't stop playing pretty much at all over the weekend.

Thanks. That's, uh, a weird design choice. I just have to go somewhere else? Huh.

Kinda, yeah.

The prison comes back later as a plot point on its own after returning from the area I mentioned. You technically don't need the tread, depending on how diplomatic you want to be. The latter requires NPC input from the nearby farm, though.

z1ggy

So can we get some impressions? I know many people are kind of biased towards this game because of Kickstarter and what it started, but judging the game solely on its merits, is it a good game? From what I've seen so far, I don't have a very good impression of it...

The graphics are pretty bad, the UI is horrible, the characters are blank slates, the combat servicable at best (compared to D:OS and xcom), so I'm not sure what's good about it.

I'm loving the game so far. Graphics are ok (was playing Trails in the Sky before Wasteland 2 and i kinda like it so i don´t really care about eye candy stuff), it's fun to play and it's well written. The atmosphere (and the music) is amazing, so is the VA.

The game has design problems, but none of them stops me from enjoying a great cRPG.

But, as the early Fallouts, this game isn´t for everyone.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I had a slightly interesting random encounter this morning.

It was a merchant who said his stuff was the best around, and he wasn't willing to trade with me unless I proved my worth. Personally I was able to tell him I saved Ag Center, I negotiated peace at the Rail Nomad Camp, or that maybe 500 scrap would get him to trade with me. I told him about Ag Center and he was like "shiiiit, that was you guys? Well why didn't you say so?"

He was only selling some explosives and rockets and I didn't really need or want any of it, so I just exited. He got offended that I didn't buy anything from him and kinda threatened me with his bodyguards. I was able to try to buy from him again, or pay him some scrap to make up for it, or tell him that we were about to have a problem. I took the problematic route and he immediately attacked. Unfortunately I had to go to work so I didn't get to follow through. I wonder if he would've been carrying all his explosives, or used them against me...

Interesting. I've done every random encounter so far, level 12 now, and they've all been the same thing each time. Load into a tiny map, my party huddled in a corner, move them around into position, attack the enemy.

I did try and run away from a couple fights that had a 50% or 25% chance of success just to see what would happen, but nothing changed. You would think if you failed to runaway you'd enter into combat immediately, but nope, still all huddled together away from the enemy free to set up into position and prepare. I know your skills and stuff affect placement and what not, or at least they said they would, so that might be a factor, but I only have Outdoorsman at level 3 on Angela. I can't imagine that's enough to counter a failure to escape against pretty tough enemies.

zonezeus

Oh snap, you might've discovered the use for
the Provost, the creepy guy who follows you around in Rail Nomad Camp. If you kill him, he drops a round seal type thing called the Owl of Minerva. Maybe it unlocks it?

That was my first thought, but unfortunately, it doesn't.
The safe needs a password to unlock and I tried substituting symbols on the coin for numbers (alpha = 1, theta = 9, epsilon = 5) but it still doesn't work. Probably The Provost knows the password, but unfortunately he stepped on a mine and died in Rail Nomad Camp ;)

the characters are blank slates

Not all characters. There are quite a few NPC companions you can pick up throughout the game, and they provide unique commentary on their surroundings and events wherever you go. You can have up to 3 at once.

However, actual dialogue is still pretty neutral. This isn't Planescape Torment. Still, I find myself really enjoying the characters and companions I have come across.

That was my first thought, but unfortunately, it doesn't.
The safe needs a password to unlock and I tried substituting symbols on the coin for numbers (alpha = 1, theta = 9, epsilon = 5) but it still doesn't work. Probably The Provost knows the password, but unfortunately he stepped on a mine and died in Rail Nomad Camp ;)

There appear to be a lot of other random mysterious hints in the game. I have 4 floppy discs I picked up somewhere, and when I right click to look at them, they've each got different cryptic instructions on them.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
There appear to be a lot of other random mysterious hints in the game. I have 4 floppy discs I picked up somewhere, and when I right click to look at them, they've each got different cryptic instructions on them.

I think in one of the Rail Nomad trailers
with a dead guy in it had instructions on the order in using the words on the floppy disks, it was in regards to some fabled armor he was looking for. You also hear a radio transmission about that when you get near all the land mines near the inoperable radio tower in the Rail Nomad map. I'm guessing you need to use those floppies on a terminal related to that at some point. Where I have no idea.

Kinthalis

Banned
The graphics are pretty bad,

I don't think they are. They aren't AAA 25 million dollar budget good, but they look fine.

the UI is horrible,

I keep hearing this. But no one actually describes why they think this. I found the UI doesn't get in my way 99% of the time. That's good UI.

the characters are blank slates,

That's kind of the point of these types of RPG's. It's all the other characters/hirelings/situations that shape the world and tell the story. But the core party are YOUR guys. This is YOUR story. one that you have a hand in shaping, one that is unique to your play-through. It's not Drake's Adventures in the jungle killing a million bad guys and providing exposition in a bunch of non-interactive cutscenes - where everyone who plays it has the SAME exact experience. It's the story you make about the hard life in the wastelands for your characters.

the combat servicable at best (compared to D:OS and xcom), so I'm not sure what's good about it.

Combat is several steps better than X:COM (if you're tlaking about the recent reboot). I do think D:OS's interactivity between the world and the elements in combat. does make it a bit more interesting).

Violet_0

Banned
okay, another question

AG Center
can't leave the place but managed the fight against the rabbits. Now, the doctor is just ridicules, he can kill one or two of my team every turn and I still have no ammo or health. Any idea how I can cheese the fight?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
okay, another question

AG Center
can't leave the place but managed the fight against the rabbits. Now, the doctor is just ridicules, he can kill one or two of my team every turn and I still have no ammo or health. Any idea how I can cheese the fight?

No idea how to cheese it but
If you saved the guy from the cage (don't remember if he's in the east or west) you can convince him to become a doctor and heal you for free. He's in right part of the central complex where all the other people you saved are.

Kinthalis

Banned
okay, another question

AG Center

That guy is tough. Keep a melee guy next to him in roder to lower his chances to hit. But there's really not much else to do this early in the game tactically, except get down on one knee and keep blasting.

Luckily I found a ton fo health kits in various safes, bins, etc, so I was able to heal right before this combat played out. Still had two guys go down on me, but I was able to revive them thanks to the Doc.

Try and make Angie a threat too, she has the largest amount of health of anyone.

Violet_0

Banned
No idea how to cheese it but
If you saved the guy from the cage (don't remember if he's in the east or west) you can convince him to become a doctor and heal you for free. He's in right part of the central complex where all the other people you saved are.

oh yeah, I freed him. Thanks, this should help

EVOL 100%

Ok, I'm completely stumped here(prison)

So I tried to go to Damonta first since I can't go past the turrets. Apparently the tread for the robot that you use against the turrets is in Damonta. Okay, so far, so good. But to get to Damonta, you need the rad suits... which you get from the prison from Red. What the fuck?

greenfish

Banned
I don't think they are. They aren't AAA 25 million dollar budget good, but they look fine.

I keep hearing this. But no one actually describes why they think this. I found the UI doesn't get in my way 99% of the time. That's good UI.

That's kind of the point of these types of RPG's. It's all the other characters/hirelings/situations that shape the world and tell the story. But the core party are YOUR guys. This is YOUR story. one that you have a hand in shaping, one that is unique to your play-through. It's not Drake's Adventures in the jungle killing a million bad guys and providing exposition in a bunch of non-interactive cutscenes - where everyone who plays it has the SAME exact experience. It's the story you make about the hard life in the wastelands for your characters.

Combat is several steps better than X:COM (if you're tlaking about the recent reboot). I do think D:OS's interactivity between the world and the elements in combat. does make it a bit more interesting).

They could have licensed U3 or source or... you get the picture. I'm just saying doesn't need to cost a hollywood budget in order to look good or (better) BETTER SINCE FALLOUT 1 was released (1997).

I have no issues what so ever with how w2 looks like, although some of the textures looks like something out of baldurs gate (1998).

Some indie dev have a fetisch on making their game as ugly as possible (minecraft) or 2D because it's "retro". It will come back and bite them in the ass eventually.

I'm not gonna buy a game that looks like 1995 or nintendo 8bit crap, it's 2014 time to evolve or stay with the times. Again w2 looks fine for me, but I support where people are coming from, especially since DOS looked really good.. Bethsedas fallout looks like crap and works like crap so yeah

Metroidvania

Ok, I'm completely stumped here

So I tried to go to Damonta first since I can't go past the turrets. Apparently the tread for the robot that you use against the turrets is in Damonta. Okay, so far, so good. But to get to Damonta, you need the rad suits... which you get from the prison from Red. What the fuck?

The person you're looking for isn't in the prison itself. He's in the prior map,
up on top of a hill with much more manageable turrets.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
So Highpool:
Do i have to initiate the second vote in some way or does Kate just radio me at some point? Pretty sure I did everything including wiping out that raiders camp.

And how the hell do I open safes? Lockpicking ain't working.

There are three possibilities (that I've run across). This is where the game goes from fun to fucking infuriating. Some safes you use safecracking. Some safes you use lockpicking. Some safes you use "computer-ing". It will sometimes give you a hint if you examine the safe (like it will say "electronic lock" or "unpickable lock" or "keyed lock"). However sometimes it won't, and I frankly just start hitting the various skills to see what will highlight the safe and give me a percentage for open and then try that one. I'd honestly prefer a dialogue that initiated that let me decide which skill to use... you know, like in Fallout ALMOST TWENTY FUCKING YEARS AGO. Or even something that says "you don't have enough lockpicking skill to even figure this out". I'm not even asking for it to pick the guy who knows how to do it. But, clicking on all three skills in succession with the hopes I'll get a hit is a design problem that makes me fight with the UI rather than play the game, and it makes me wonder if these people ever actually played their own game.

All the other guns feel pointless, especially shotguns. My two assault rifle users mop up everything.
I'm not a fan of the shotgun at all. It's saved the bacon a few times, but the range on everything is abysmal as it is, and I have to Leeroy Jenkins into near-melee range to even be sort of effective with the thing. If there was a stun period or other good status effect (beyond them just falling and getting right back up), it might be more appealing.

I have to say, the combat in Wasteland 2 is much more forgiving than Xcom.
Playing in traffic in Houston is more forgiving than XCOM.

greenfish

Banned
XCOM!? That's a game from 1993.....

As much as I loved that game the AI was downright cheating... so I don't see how xcom is "harder"

But, clicking on all three skills in succession with the hopes I'll get a hit is a design problem that makes me fight with the UI rather than play the game, and it makes me wonder if these people ever actually played their own game.
I've never encountered this even once. Perception check tells you what you need to use on a safe. It's always been either "electronic lock" (computers) or "working tumbler" (safecracking). Sometimes there's a trap to be removed first (demolitions).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
A big problem I have with the game is that Skill use is kind of pointless in its current form. I just save before every one and reload till I succeed. The only incentive to leveling up any of your usable skills like Computing, Toaster Repair, Brute Force, Lockpicking, etc etc. is if you find one that is impossible. It would be a lot better if it was just Pass/Fail. All the current system does is waste my time because I'm not going to just skip over a Safe or Lock Box because my odds aren't good, let alone actually settle for a critical failure.

Kainazzo

A big problem I have with the game is that Skill use is kind of pointless in its current form. I just save before every one and reload till I succeed. The only incentive to leveling up any of your usable skills like Computing, Toaster Repair, Brute Force, Lockpicking, etc etc. is if you find one that is impossible. It would be a lot better if it was just Pass/Fail. All the current system does is waste my time because I'm not going to just skip over a Safe or Lock Box because my odds aren't good, let alone actually settle for a critical failure.

A pass/fail system would be much better, and help prevent save scumming. I really like how New Vegas had that. If you invested the points, you should be able to do it. As it is, unless I have an abysmal success rate, I'm just going to keep reloading. In Fallout 1 and 2, skillchecks took very little time, and you could generally keep trying until you passed. That was nice too.

Metroidvania

All the current system does is waste my time because I'm not going to just skip over a Safe or Lock Box because my odds aren't good, let alone actually settle for a critical failure.

I kind of agree.

One of my characters has safecracking at 10. Every safe is either 100% simple, or a 28% chance to succeed (and a 35% chance to critically fail), yet both contain random ammo/junk a majority of the time. It feels like there's still a massive penalty even though I've maxed out a stat.

I don't know how to fix it, though, since there'd also be frustration in not being able to have a chance to unlock something because of some arbitrary cutoff, and it becomes trivial clicking after you hit that magic number to unlock everything.

greenfish

Banned
A pass/fail system would be much better, and help prevent save scumming. I really like how New Vegas had that. If you invested the points, you should be able to do it. As it is, unless I have an abysmal success rate, I'm just going to keep reloading. In Fallout 1 and 2, skillchecks took very little time, and you could generally keep trying until you passed. That was nice too.

I think if you fail safe 3 times the lock should permanently break. Re-loading is cheating to me so yeah, but it's up to you guys :)

I think in one of the Rail Nomad trailers
with a dead guy in it had instructions on the order in using the words on the floppy disks, it was in regards to some fabled armor he was looking for. You also hear a radio transmission about that when you get near all the land mines near the inoperable radio tower in the Rail Nomad map. I'm guessing you need to use those floppies on a terminal related to that at some point. Where I have no idea.

I don't remember this at all. Do you know which trailer it might've been?

I remember a lot of empty trailers, and there was a dead guy in the library, but there wasn't any reference to armor. Did I miss a skill usage or something?

I'm not a fan of the shotgun at all. It's saved the bacon a few times, but the range on everything is abysmal as it is, and I have to Leeroy Jenkins into near-melee range to even be sort of effective with the thing. If there was a stun period or other good status effect (beyond them just falling and getting right back up), it might be more appealing.

I think that's kind of the point, it's a gun for melee use. You want to try to hit multiple enemies with it, that's the main benefit, and it's great when it works.

It makes a pretty great overwatch weapon too, stand that guy at the front of your team and nail anyone who gets too close.

That's not a problem in design, that's you being unhappy with how you're playing. It's a single player game, so if you want to do that go ahead. Others will play it how it's designed and that's okay too.

Volodja

Sometimes, with games like this when I know that it can be somewhat buggy, when a mission doesn't end when I expect it to, I just don't know if I forgot anything along the way or if it's just a bug.

I've discovered that enemies like raider gunners often freak the hell out if you rush them in melee (even with your non-melee people). They have no idea what to do when they aren't able to bunker down next to cover.

For example, I had one fight that was like a road leading into a slightly fortified area with lots of cover. If I tried to fight from the entrance they would all take cover and shoot from behind it. However, when I ran forward with everyone, just burned all my AP getting into the middle of the arena to the point where cover wasn't useful to them anymore, they had no idea what to do, and would bum rush my team and then do nothing, or just generally waste turns.

I don't know, maybe it was just that particular map layout or something (this was in the second part of Rail Nomad Camp). I'll have to do more testing.

studyguy

Started a new game, made it to High Pool, blew through it so far.
Man I love this game. Shotguns are awful though, aside from waiting for assault with them, I don't bother.

Metroidvania

That's not a problem in design, that's you being unhappy with how you're playing. It's a single player game, so if you want to do that go ahead. Others will play it how it's designed and that's okay too.

While it's true that it's a design choice (and as such, is up to the player as to how they'd like to respond), when difficulty checks appear to continue to scale past level 10, (Level 10 skills are supposed to have a 60% chance to work on level 10 checks, and like I've said, I've had 28% chance to succeed before), it does get a little frustrating for the player to have invested points into the skill, especially if it's a plot-related check, which can have direct ramifications for failing.

What's weird with this whole thing is that Kiss/Smart/Hard-Ass DO use the flat value checks, instead of percentages.

Vaporak

They could have licensed U3 or source or... you get the picture. I'm just saying doesn't need to cost a hollywood budget in order to look good or (better) BETTER SINCE FALLOUT 1 was released (1997).

I have no issues what so ever with how w2 looks like, although some of the textures looks like something out of baldurs gate (1998).

No they couldn't have, they have a pretty strict budget and licensing a major engine is way out of it. You also might want to go back and load up Baldur's Gate 1 and Fallout 1, your nostalgia is showing if you think they're technically more impressive than W2. Both of those games were low resolution, had little object detail, and very little animation. W2 is a very noticeable technical step up while sticking to a similar isometric style the older games used.

greenfish

Banned
No they couldn't have, they have a pretty strict budget and licensing a major engine is way out of it. You also might want to go back and load up Baldur's Gate 1 and Fallout 1, your nostalgia is showing if you think they're technically more impressive than W2. Both of those games were low resolution, had little object detail, and very little animation. W2 is a very noticeable technical step up while sticking to a similar isometric style the older games used.

Huh? I don't for a minute belive fallout 1-2 looks better than wasteland 2. But some of the textures (ag central) does look like something out from baldurs gate. I replayed planescape torment/baldurs gate and fallout 1 a few months ago all in 1920x1080.

But wasteland 2 is NOT 15 years ahead of infinity engine, that's my point. Wasteland 2 could have looked a LOT better then what we got, look at pillars of eternity, dos or tides of numenera.

"W2 is a very noticeable technical step up while sticking to a similar isometric style the older games used"

If wasteland 2 came out in 2002-2003 i'd agree.

Zukuu

Banned
I hate %-skill checks as well. Either you can do something or not. All it does is make some stuff seem dumb, like failing a 91% lock twice. Weapon jamming is also a huge BS move. 7% my ass if it happens trice in a row. Really, my guy during the boss fight was just jamming and un-jamming his gun throughout 6 turns. Hit chance I'm okay with, but everything else is borderline dumb in my books. I will happily save scum any skill check. CBA with that degree of randomness.

Assault Rifles are pretty dumb too. Holy shit that damage. It's like a 3 burst sniper rifle with more armor penetration, more damage, same range, better min-range, better ammo and less AP consumption. WTF were they thinking?

studyguy

1 Melee, 1 AR, 1 SMG, 1 Sniper is basically my team
Anyone else just uses whatever they bring to the table.
If I could spare the ammo, everyone would just use AR aside from the melee guy.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

But it is bad design, because playing the way it's intended doesn't actually offer anything positive to the experience, not just the fact that you're losing out on loot. It just encourages gaming they system, unless you are one of those few people who seriously RPs the game and sticks with the hand your dealt with no matter what, which there are very few of. I'm all for hardcore gameplay mechanics and systems, but there are clear ways to do them right and clear ways how not to do them.

If it was a Pass Fail system like they use with the dialog system you would have clear incentives and disincentives to put points into those skills because you know they'll work or won't work. Success might cost too many skill points at the expense of other skills, so you'll either make a note of those safes and boxes for later, just decide it's not worth it or put the points into the necessary skill running the risk of not having those points available or in another skill later in the game.

If they actually intended everyone to just retry over and over until a crit failure and just to accept that, then that was a naive belief. If they did not expect people to do that and they actually counted on many players meta-gaming by save scumming and advancing skills to the lowest threshold then that's just really dumb on their part.

Rudakus

I like the system they have in place for skill checks. If you have a 2 in something you know just enough to be dangerous and hell you might even get lucky and be able to pull off something way above your pay grade. Happened in Highpool for me a chick in the group only had a mechanical repair of 2 but somehow repaired the machine in there so it stopped blowing the poisonous smoke everywhere. Though I did kill 2 of the patients in the same building while "helping" with surgery lol

**edit** If you want it so that it is a straight yes or no just save those boxes, toaster, etc until you have a high enough skill to come back as you are suggesting you'd do with an on/off mechanism.

But it is bad design, because playing the way it's intended doesn't actually offer anything positive to the experience, not just the fact that you're losing out on loot. It just encourages gaming they system, unless you are one of those few people who seriously RPs the game and sticks with the hand your dealt with no matter what, which there are very few of.

But this sort of complaint applies to the combat system, too. Why should I ever accept a combat that goes poorly? There's no reason to sit and take the lost HP when I could reload and do it over. Why should I waste the health packs?

By having a percent chance to hit, they encourage me to reload and try the fight again if I've missed a lot. Or caused friendly fire, etc.

Sotha Sil

I don't know if it has already been discussed, but a French journalist said that in conversations, picking keywords in a certain order actually matters (a lot, apparently); did anyone notice this?

xD7RJu8.png

Let's do this!

Top Bottom