• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
man ive been waiting for this so long, finally got my copy and look forward to playing over the weekend :D

got some other stuff need to finish first and this game most def seems like something that needs a good chunk of time to play.

Im definitely enjoying the hell out of it right now. Iv more or less dealt with the immediate problems in Highpool.....

It feels like my actions aren't having major consequences yet.... But i can tell they're coming in a major way and won't be noticable for a few hours or so into my playthrough.... which really excites me.

Oooh, that would have been a good addition.

Fallout: New Vegas (not ironman, but hardcore mode), XCOM, and Expedition: Conquistador benefitted greatly from their respective enhanced difficulty modes.

I always play XCOM on easy - ironman. I'm not very good at strategy games even though I like them (hence why I posted that savegame editor..). But the added "difficulty" of ironman makes each impact feel much more weighty, which I really appreciate. I'd like to play a story-driven RPG like Witcher 3 or Inquisition with a similar mode, the urge to save scum for the best outcome is too strong to resist sometimes.

I always play XCOM on easy - ironman. I'm not very good at strategy games even though I like them (hence why I posted that savegame editor..). But the added "difficulty" of ironman makes each impact feel much more weighty, which I really appreciate. I'd like to play a story-driven RPG like Witcher 3 or Inquisition with a similar mode, the urge to save scum for the best outcome is too strong to resist sometimes.

Witcher 2 actually has something like this. In Insane mode, you only have one life.

Witcher 2 Wiki said:
Insane – for unusually skilled gamers who expect an extremely high difficulty level. Opponents deal very high damage and no saved game can be loaded if Geralt dies. This difficulty level is more difficult than Hard.

If that's a bit too much, there's Dark Mode.

Witcher 2 Wiki said:
Dark - like Insane, but it is possible to load a saved game after Geralt dies. In addition, there is special chapter-specific set equipment for Geralt which potentially makes the game easier if they are gathered and equipped.

I played through Dark Mode, and I can't imagine doing it on one life. There were times when I died dozens of times trying to get past a certain encounter. It is a lot of fun though, and the Dark/Insane exclusive items are really cool additions as well.

They could at least have the decency to include an Iron Man mode!

Maybe when the game is more stable...

I'm sure that's something they'll do since the original game was designed around overwriting save data immediately after any death in your party occurred...though if you wanted to take the time and use an extra set floppies, you could get around it, not much different than save scumming. Ironman mode was the only mode for WL1.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Witcher 2 actually has something like this. In Insane mode, you only have one life.

If that's a bit too much, there's Dark Mode.

I played through Dark Mode, and I can't imagine doing it on one life. There were times when I died dozens of times trying to get past a certain encounter. It is a lot of fun though, and the Dark/Insane exclusive items are really cool additions as well.

Witcher was a little too janky for iron man mode. So many times I died I was like, "WTF was that?" X-Com makes sense because it's party based, mission based, and turn based. So if a squad member dies it's not instant-game over, and squad members aren't dying for no reason.

Sothpaw

Been really busy this weekend but have had a chance to play through most of the Ag Center. Really love the game so far. Positioning is really important in combat especially with shotguns.

batfax

So, does anyone know what the
Gandhi monument you're given access to after saving the Darwin mutants
does? Most monuments just give me some skill points, but this one didn't seem to have any noticeable effect.

edit:

For people who have made it to Darwin,
how do you kill as few people as possible? Activated the purification system but it doesn't seem to work on the zombies and there's no apparent way to leave....

When you first go down, there's a computer-locked door behind you. Just keep going through there, fight some turrets, and then you can get to the purification system within moments of the mutants spotting you. Then just doubleback.

Just came across my first mission progression bug, came across a merchant in the canyons looking for his wife and I got to the site, saved, and eventually loaded and upon doing so he was gone. Finished the fight and that didn't fix it either. Loaded back one save to where we met....and he's gone. Bummer. Just a side quest but still.

You know, as limited as the character creation option can be, I really appreciate being able to adjust the size of the characters and the ability to make our own portraits.

Major props to inXile for such nice additions. It's something that very few (if any) other games do.

Witcher was a little too janky for iron man mode. So many times I died I was like, "WTF was that?" X-Com makes sense because it's party based, mission based, and turn based. So if a squad member dies it's not instant-game over, and squad members aren't dying for no reason.
True, but XCOM still has bugs in it (and cheap shit in general, on Impossible) that make Ironman kinda a terrifying proposition.

It is the way the game is meant to be played, though.

You know, as limited as the character creation option can be, I really appreciate being able to adjust the size of the characters and the ability to make our own portraits.

Major props to inXile for such nice additions. It's something that very few (if any) other games do.

I do hope the mod tools make an appearance soon,if just to get some more faces and haircuts on the characters.

But allowing me to throw a bunch of wrasslers pictures for my W(WE)asteland squad is a godsend for helping me remember who's who and what their skills are. Its one of those smaller details that I really appreciate.

Controller support?

Probably around the same time it comes to Vita.

That is to say, none whatsoever.

I do hope the mod tools make an appearance soon,if just to get some more faces and haircuts on the characters.

But allowing me to throw a bunch of wrasslers pictures for my W(WE)asteland squad is a godsend for helping me remember who's who and what their skills are. Its one of those smaller details that I really appreciate.

You can actually change the clothing they're wearing once in the game. I don't think clothing has any stats tied to it, as that's what the armour slot is for.

I still don't know whether armour changes your appearance. Gotta get some one of these days.

Pilgrimzero

OK got my ranger(s) cured, took all 5 vials of serum. Now I have none to use to cure the AG center, did I mess up or can I get more serum somehow? The scientist doesnt seem to notice I have no more serum.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
OK got my ranger(s) cured, took all 5 vials of serum. Now I have none to use to cure the AG center, did I mess up or can I get more serum somehow? The scientist doesnt seem to notice I have no more serum.

You done fucked up.

In the Ag Center, in the back of the main building, there's a
Water humidifier or something to that nature. Using a vial on that automatically cures all of your party members

And. it never fails. Complaining to GAF caught my RNG generator. Just found a 110-140 anti-material sniper for killing robots.

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Im in the AG Center, and there are these massive vines blocking certain paths, i cant seem to force my way through. They are described as "dense masses of vegetation" when you right click on them and then it says that "unless it can somehow be weakened, nothing short of heavy artillery will get through it".. Anybody found a way past them?

Kinthalis

Banned

You may want to load an earlier save. You were supposed to go to the tank on the western part of the complex an drelease the cure there. It would have cured the entire faiclity and oyu as well. The rest fo the serum is for a sidequest.

It doesn't, thankfully. I like that there's a separation between the functional and the cosmetic slots. My guy would be too ugly without a headwrap.

Excellent.

One of my guys is wearing the shirt that makes him look all skinny, and it would be weird if that changed. Even taking it off makes him look unusually buff.

Kinthalis

Banned
Im in the AG Center, and there are these massive vines blocking certain paths, i cant seem to force my way through. They are described as "dense masses of vegetation" when you right click on them and then it says that "unless it can somehow be weakened, nothing short of heavy artillery will get through it".. Anybody found a way past them?

Once you fix the problem on each wing of the facility, you are able to shoot them to pieces.

Pilgrimzero

You may want to load an earlier save. You were supposed to go to the tank on the western part of the complex an drelease the cure there. It would have cured the entire faiclity and oyu as well. The rest fo the serum is for a sidequest.

So your saying I wasted a whole day of playing. Great. Guess I'm restarting. Think Ill do the other town instead this time. Had my fill of Ag Center.

Started a game, spent an hour creating characters, lost my heavy against the first random encounter, lost my scout against the frog, decided to play as far as I could and restart when I died, which wasn't that long, but my survivors were doing much better against random encounters even before leveling. Soon, however, they died horribly.

Restarted, got the first recruit, and it's much more playable now that I know what I'm doing. Absolutely love the game now. I miss games that would kick your ass for playing badly. It seems quite fair, on the whole, but with surprises that you have to respond to from time to time.

The only annoying thing is that the .net install never completed (left it going for an hour) and I just had to delete the installer to play the game, but now it prompts me for it every time I load the game.

So your saying I wasted a whole day of playing. Great. Guess I'm restarting. Think Ill do the other town instead this time. Had my fill of Ag Center.

If you use quicksave (F7 or F9 I think) it will save your last 3 quicksaves separately so you can go back a couple saves if it's really screwed up.

Also, the town is more fun anyway.

Alebelly

Completed all the HighPool and Ag stuff, cleared out the other areas infect by Ag. Put around 20hrs in so far (must have restarted the game trying different character builds 3 or 4 times) and I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience. Obviously, an incredible amount of thought and love went into making this game and it shows.

Mupod

Man, for a while the game felt like this:

ibafHRoq2NMgou.gif

But now that I've got some higher level weaponry it's much more reasonable.

I'm a bit frustrated at how I keep finding NPCs that specialize in stuff I already had on my created characters, though. Also I figured the party size would stay at 5...I'm at 7 people now.

The xcom-like combat system combined with the limited ammo has led me to some...interesting situations. Like a cave full of 250 hp badgers when all I had were dinky low level guns and a shit ton of explosives. I managed to make it through with some careful badger herding, walked out of there with only a handful of ammo left. Thankfully the home base area has lots of ammo to buy, should have stopped by there earlier.

I will say I expected speech skills to come into play more often...so far it feels like all they've gotten me are a few points of xp. And the level design is pretty bad sometimes...when I revisited a 'dungeon' area to turn in quests I basically had to run through the whole place and it was tedious. I'm sure if I'd played this game in the 90s I wouldn't have minded though, I mean at least I don't have to gather my party before venturing forth in this one.

Wanace

I'm loving this game, but it's lacking a lot of polish. There's quest bugs (I still can't finish the Highpool "quest" about the wreckers, as
the dude keeps chastising me for releasing the prisoner instead of recognizing my work
) and many text interactions are missing words or have typos. Still, it's one of the best CRPG experiences I've ever had. Gives me Fallout vibes, if Fallout 3 was released the same time as Neverwinter Nights.

I love the combat although it's way too easy. It feels great setting up ambushes and getting my brawler in there critting for 60+ damage. I think my characters are around level 10-11 now. The only issue was character creation. If I had could've seen this far ahead, I would've planned way differently. Still, it's working out.

I also don't like that I ended up selling a bunch of crap that could've ended up being sold for more money to other people, which has turned me into a hoarder now, keeping a bunch of crap in my locker at the citadel, which is probably worthless. Still I have plenty of scrap and my equipment is quite nice. I mainly spend on ammo and medkits now.

Oh yeah, and navigating maps sucks. Let me leave to world map from anywhere please.

Great game, loving it, and I hope I'm nowhere near finished.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Who is this freaky
Provost
dude and why is he fighting with me?

Dude was awesome and amazing, followed me to like 4 different maps and locations, then I accidentally crit'd him with my super OP sniper and he exploded like a blood sausage.

Also I'm really disappointed with the games options menu, especially graphics. Seriously no Fake Fullscreen, AA controls or anything really. Plus the game doesn't run that well and makes my comp have a stroke every time I shut it down where other games that are far far more taxing using every bit of power my PC has exit like nothing ever happened.

Plugged this
Provost
guy's dialogue into google translate (I'm assuming his Vs are Us as this is Latin).

Here's what I got:

Here lies Phaeton , the car driver of his father's .

After all, if it did not hold still a great hath hewn out her check them.

Man is god.

Huh.

Edit: This is what a phanteon is. It looks appropriate given what seems to be the context of the sentence. I hope someone with a better understanding of Latin will eventually translate this.

Was something supposed to happen with that prisoner in Highpool? Released him/her and it wasn't brought up at any point in the 18 or so hours since.

I never encountered that creepy guy in the Railroad camp, explored pretty thoroughly too.

Rizzi

Was something supposed to happen with that prisoner in Highpool? Released him/her and it wasn't brought up at any point in the 18 or so hours since.

I never encountered that creepy guy in the Railroad camp, explored pretty thoroughly too.

The prisoner is a recruitable character.

BeesEight

Isn't she a companion? I just dumped her in front of the ranger station.

Alebelly

Unless you trigger the dialogue she just runs off. I played through Highpool a couple times and I found that sometimes it was hard to trigger the dialogue unless you were standing right up near the cage.

Well shit, I opened the cage and she just ran off before I could click on her. Thought nothing of it :/ Would have been pretty useful, oh well.

Sanctuary

The leadership skill seems buggy as shit. My current rank says it gives nearby rangers a 12% bonus to hit. Yet when you highlight the leadership flag above their portrait, it says they are gaining half of what they should be.

This game is awesome. This is a really minor spoiler so I'll link it instead of just posting it...

http://i.imgur.com/3oLvZmU.jpg

I went back to the Ag Center after recruiting these two characters. You really have no reason to go back to this specific place later except to mop up some loose ends, depending on the order you things in. And they still bothered to write unique dialogue for the characters when you walk through these giant fans.

Mupod

The leadership skill seems buggy as shit. My current rank says it gives nearby rangers a 12% bonus to hit. Yet when you highlight the leadership flag above their portrait, it says they are gaining half of what they should be.

I noticed that too. I'll need to double check to see if it's working right next time I'm ingame, since I put a ton of points into it.

Top Bottom