• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Actually from what I hear, those skills do not scale off of charisma at all. The only skill that really goes with charisma is leadership.

Oh really? Huh, didn't know that. Well in that case charisma seems like a dump, at least for 3 of your characters.

Can't wait for my physical copy (which will probably remain sealed on my desk).

Can I preload this on Steam or will I just download the beta? I've been trying to keep spoiler-free since the end of the Kickstarter.

Oh really? Huh, didn't know that. Well in that case charisma seems like a dump, at least for 3 of your characters.
I can't recall the derived skills that are affected by CHA level, but I'm assuming that when your three NPCs, if you have them, are in a particularly hairy battle, it's going to be important to have one Ranger to lead them with high CHA value and maybe another minoring in it as backup in the case you need them to be more consistent from turn to turn with your orders and find yourself splitting them up far enough from each other to keep them in check. One main leader and a fallback, secondary babysitter. The lethality of WL1 makes me think WL2 will be filled with moments where you're about to lose people to permadeath somewhat frequently in later moments or when a non-combat approach fails and you may not be ready to take hits on all sides.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I can see that. Even with scant few screenshots of the final release build, WL2 already evokes a stronger sense and greater spectrum of mood over the flat, relatively neutral look of FO. The Mark Morgan score can only take it over the top.
yeah i'm also considering interface since it's the one thing that bothers me the most about w2

overall from playing w2 i didn't really got as far as to reach some of those beautiful areas so what i've seen first hand is actually very close to fallout

i just really like fallout's artstyle what with the art deco, 50s cars, space age weaponry, vault boy, etc.

but i'm like world's biggest fallout fangirl so u know

Can't wait.

GAF is always looking for a game with meaningful choices, where your decisions will have far-reaching effects and not just alter one or two lines of dialogue. According to inXile, this is that game. I hope it's not just empty marketing.

I don't know about that. I can't really comment on it yet because I didn't play very far but it feels more like a game where your decisions result in a lot of acknowledgement of what you did, but not necessarily far-reaching effects. Personally I like far-reaching effects but I don't need them, I'm just happy for a few lines of dialogue.

I mean, I'm comparing it to like, Fallout 3, where you can kill a bunch of people in Megaton and nobody ever acknowledges it. You leave for 3 days and come back and everyone in town is friendly again. Some of what I've seen near the start of Wasteland 2 is encouraging on that front (the spoilers I posted last page).

epmode

I don't know about that. I can't really comment on it yet because I didn't play very far but it feels more like a game where your decisions result in a lot of acknowledgement of what you did, but not necessarily far-reaching effects.

What I mean is that a lot of the game's content can be permanently missed based on your decisions. Something like The Witcher 2's second act, where the entire act changes based on a decision earlier in the game.

I'm having trouble finding the exact interview but I remember reading that something around 30% of your Wasteland playthrough will consist of content that can be missed in subsequent playthroughs. Maybe more, I forget the exact percentage.

What I mean is that a lot of the game's content can be permanently missed based on your decisions. Something like The Witcher 2's second act, where the entire act changes based on a decision earlier in the game.

I'm having trouble finding the exact interview but I remember reading that something around 30% of your Wasteland playthrough will consist of content that can be missed in subsequent playthroughs. Maybe more, I forget the exact percentage.

Yeah, there's at least one thing like that right at the start.

seph1roth

Oh man...

Anyone know if retail Wasteland 2 (distributed by Deep Silver) uses steam or is DRM free?

If retail version is DRM free then there's no need to wait until sep 26 to play :D (Jack Sparrow wil be so proud)

NOTE: I have the game preordered at GAME since 2 weeks, Ranger Edition of course...BUT I CAN'T FUCKING WAIT TILL SEPT 26...

I CAN'T...must play it tomorrow T__________________T

Once I have access to my GOG key via kickstarter, I'm happily playing the hell out of this (along with a little smash bros demo) this weekend.

Turn based isometric RPG's...I've wanted to get into the genre but I've never sat down to properly enjoy the games (aside from Fallout 1). Hopefully I can sink into this one.

yeah i'm also considering interface since it's the one thing that bothers me the most about w2

overall from playing w2 i didn't really got as far as to reach some of those beautiful areas so what i've seen first hand is actually very close to fallout

i just really like fallout's artstyle what with the art deco, 50s cars, space age weaponry, vault boy, etc.

but i'm like world's biggest fallout fangirl so u know

Yeah, I feel ya. I like it, but after spending so much time with Bethsoft's take, I'm well and truly burned out on it. I'm more of a '70s/'80s futurism/post-apocalyptia fan and WL follows in that style. Even if the deeper parts of the game prove to be difficult if not impossible to modify, I'm thinking there's a better than average chance that the UI will get an FO skin.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Nice OT. Can't wait to jump into this tomorrow. While I agree with the tepid view of the UI and some of the graphical fidelity, those character models are just pathetic, but I'm sure the game is going to be a lot of fun where it counts going by what I played of the beta.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I love fallout but I'm not feeling this game at all guys! It was such a dumb decision to give the player full camera control... Seems like half the time spent playing will be fighting with the camera!

I love fallout but I'm not feeling this game at all guys! It was such a dumb decision to give the player full camera control... Seems like half the time spent playing will be fighting with the camera!

Nah, I keep it locked facing the same direction all the time as much as possible. Only rarely do I need to rotate it.

The worst thing is the game forgetting your zoom level on changing maps or loading. Maybe the full version will fix that.

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah, I feel ya. I like it, but after spending so much time with Bethsoft's take, I'm well and truly burned out on it. I'm more of a '70s/'80s futurism/post-apocalyptia fan and WL follows in that style. Even if the deeper parts of the game prove to be difficult if not impossible to modify, I'm thinking there's a better than average chance that the UI will get an FO skin.
yeah i just hope someone mods out the font and just polishes the interface up a bit

like don't get me wrong i'm pretty pleased with how w2 looks

it's just that if possible i'll always express my absolute neverending love for fallout <3

Kinthalis

Banned
Nah, I keep it locked facing the same direction all the time as much as possible. Only rarely do I need to rotate it.

The worst thing is the game forgetting your zoom level on changing maps or loading. Maybe the full version will fix that.

Yeah, I never found myself fighitng the camera in the beta. I do agree with the zoom level thing. I hate it when games do that.

Kinthalis

Banned
Will the boxed version be available on stores, or is it just for kickstarter backers?

EDIT: NM, foudn it on Amazon. I think my uncle would like a copy, but he prefers discs for some reason.

Dommel

I don't like how they handled the price reduction on release in Europe. They actually increased the price of digital deluxe recently in EU/UK to make it look like the price drop on release is meaningful. In reality it's $20/5€/£0 price drop compared to what the digital deluxe used to cost in each of those three regions.

So while I already got my copy, I've been promising my friends that on release the price will drop from the 45 euros the digital deluxe used to cost. Well yeah, it will drop a total of five euros. I guess they'll be waiting for (Winter) sales because of the price hike.

Still, other than the pricing issues, tomorrow will be glorious. Hopefully the game is polished enough from start to finish so we don't have to wait for issues to be patched.

Wait, I'm confused. The game is available on Steam right now for €54,99 (Digital Deluxe Edition) but it will drop to €40 tomorrow?

Straight up Putin

EVNGMR1.jpg

Conezays

My friend nicely gifted this game to me for my birthday so I'm stoked to dive into this tomorrow. Purposely haven't read too much up on the game ahead of time...anyone know how co-op works in this game though?

Coreda

Wait, I'm confused. The game is available on Steam right now for €54,99 (Digital Deluxe Edition) but it will drop to €40 tomorrow?

It's my understanding that the Standard Edition can't be released alongside other versions while a game is in Early Access, so when the game officially releases a separate (cheaper) Standard Edition will be available without the extras the DDE includes currently. I'll update the OP link when it does.

DeviantBoi

I kickstarted this, but the system requirements are too damn high for my old Mac.

Since it was a Unity game, I didn't think it was gonna be that resource intensive.

Phinor

Well, yes, but that wasn't my point. My point was that the digital deluxe was 45 euros until few weeks ago when they bumped the price up to 55 euros to make it look like the release day discount they've promised for so long is actually meaningful (it's not release day discount as such, rather, they will be no longer selling the current version of digital deluxe that included beta access among other things. It's the high price that initially caused rumblings and they said that the price is high because that's what the beta tier was during kickstarter, and that the actual game would be cheaper on release).

PrimeRib_

I'm ready to put down Destiny and Diablo 3 on console, for this. Definitely ready for this. Acutally, I almost forgot how ready for this I am, considering I parked my 50% game completion saves of both Baldur's Gate EE and Icewind Dale to hit consoles for those aforementioned games. I giddily welcome the resurgence of CRPG's!

Beta players - thoughts/opinions so far?>

Burt

Man, I didn't realize it was so close.

Same here. Suuuuper excited.

Ha, and I went to the Torment website the other day to register my account there and I went back today after seeing this thread to see if I had keys available (because I did the Torment+Wasteland pledge on the Torment campaign), and lo and behold, there they were!

I actually got myself excited enough to think there might've been a chance that since I had a key I'd actually had Early Access this whole time and just didn't know about it. Of course, I redeem it, install the game, click on "New Game", and nothing happens.

What a tease.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The game is releasing at midnight PST, 7am GMT.

Cool, that'S 9AM for me. Good time.
Man, I wish the character creation was a little more robust. And that the actual modells didn't look like shit when you create them. I found some pretty cool pics and it would be cool to customize the characters a little more but there are some weird limitations like no gas masks for male characters etc.
Also I need to say it again: The modells look incredibly ugly when you are close.

i'm redy4fredy, it's been a while since i've played a srpg
as someone whose most played srpg is jagged alliance 2 what can i expect to be better/worse in the game based on what is already out

studyguy

So I played up to the end of the first crisis, the water plant / hydroponics thing and stopped just to get a feel for the game.

The final release is going to basically make that save useless right?

Same here. Suuuuper excited.

Ha, and I went to the Torment website the other day to register my account there and I went back today after seeing this thread to see if I had keys available (because I did the Torment+Wasteland pledge on the Torment campaign), and lo and behold, there they were!

I actually got myself excited enough to think there might've been a chance that since I had a key I'd actually had Early Access this whole time and just didn't know about it. Of course, I redeem it, install the game, click on "New Game", and nothing happens.

What a tease.

I had something like that happen too, it wouldn't let me click new game. I closed the game and opened it again and then I was able to play.

Of course it's just the beta version.

So I played up to the end of the first crisis, the water plant / hydroponics thing and stopped just to get a feel for the game.

The final release is going to basically make that save useless right?

Yeah, almost definitely.

I'd recommend that you visit the other location when the game releases, go to Highpool instead. :)

Burt

I had something like that happen too, it wouldn't let me click new game. I closed the game and opened it again and then I was able to play.

Of course it's just the beta version.

OH SHIIIIIIITTTTTT

Totally worked. I'm assuming there's some bug when you change the visual settings? That's all I did before I hit "New Game" originally.

I guess this does mean that I squandered my Early Access. I wanna play... but at this point I might as well just hold off until tomorrow and avoid having to restart.

Edit: Okay, I'm giving it ten minutes.

And thank god for that fully rotatable camera. Was my one major complaint about Divinity until I learned you could unlock it at like 40 hours in.

Top Bottom