• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Here's something else that kinda sucks that people should know about:

C'mon. Everything I've read about this game says it's about the journey, the choices, and the consequences. Making decisions and dealing with whatever results is a big part of the game, so why would you do something like this...

Let people discover it for themselves, for good or ill. If anyone wants to min-max they can look up a walkthrough or guide by themselves, or ask here specifically.

C'mon. Everything I've read about this game says it's about the journey, the choices, and the consequences. Making decisions and dealing with whatever results is a big part of the game, so why would you do something like this...

Let people discover it for themselves, for good or ill. If anyone wants to min-max they can look up a walkthrough or guide by themselves, or ask here specifically.

I don't think that's really a spoiler, it has nothing to do with making decisions and consequences etc. It has nothing to do with the story or sense of discovery or whatever. It's the most gamey mechanic of the game, just suddenly getting extra points to distribute.

It's really shitty to get to the midgame and realize you've been wasting one time use stuff all along on a character that you didn't plan on being a permanent member of the team.

If they weren't one time use, I wouldn't have said anything, because then it's not an issue. I guarantee you there will be posts with sadface emoticons in them down the line from people who didn't know this.

EVOL 100%

A mix. I think leaning a little toward combat/skill heavy. That doesn't mean there isn't much dialogue or that it's bad, just that combat is a pretty major focus of the game.

Bummer, I knew the setting being the setting there would obviously be emphasis on the combat but I really want to play a dialogue heavy CRPG. Maybe even one where you don't have to fight a single time in the entire game

Necrovex

A mix. I think leaning a little toward combat/skill heavy. That doesn't mean there isn't much dialogue or that it's bad, just that combat is a pretty major focus of the game.

Gotcha, I remember funding this simply based on principle, but I never even touched the first title. I'll probably dabble with it since I already own it.

Bummer, I knew the setting being the setting there would obviously be emphasis on the combat but I really want to play a dialogue heavy CRPG. Maybe even one where you don't have to fight a single time in the entire game
Your best shot is Torment. But it's at least a year away.

EVOL 100%

Your best shot is Torment. But it's at least a year away.

Shit, I forgot that was a thing. That's okay, I'll be in the army for the next two years anyway

Before that this will have to do

Eh, for what it's worth, it's supposed to be very dialogue tree-heavy, skill check-filled, consequence-laden experience, anyway. So, it's not necessarily the case that a focus on combat means there isn't a heavier than usual dose of dialogue. I expect much more of both than most CRPGs.

That sounds nice, I backed this game during Kickstarter and haven't been following it at all. I'm going in pretty much blind

Eh, for what it's worth, it's supposed to be a very dialogue tree-heavy, skill check-filled, consequence-laden experience, anyway. So, it's not necessarily the case that a focus on combat means there isn't a heavier than usual dose of dialogue. I expect much more of both than from most CRPGs.

Yeah when I said leaning a little toward combat I meant that, just a little.

Like, y'know how Planescape Torment is the all story/dialogue Infinity engine game, Icewind Dale is the all combat Infinity engine game, and Baldur's Gate is a mix of both? This is probably closer to Baldur's Gate. At least from what I hear.

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member

This game has more dialogue than the LotR Trilogy. This game has a shit ton of dialogue.

epmode

By the way, here's something that sucks if you're obsessive like me.

Safe/container contents are rolled at the moment you open them, and not when the map is first loaded.

So you can save and load repeatedly to get different items out of them.

This bugged me in Divinity as well. Dammit.

Yeah when I said leaning a little toward combat I meant that, just a little.

Like, y'know how Planescape Torment is the all story/dialogue Infinity engine game, Icewind Dale is the all combat Infinity engine game, and Baldur's Gate is a mix of both? This is probably closer to Baldur's Gate. At least from what I hear.

WL2 is extremely combat-oriented. But every fight - even the random ones - are in context. There are also more than enough ways to get EXP outside of combat, as well.

In short, while it is combat heavy, the combat never feels like it is overtaking other parts of the game.

KePoW

Banned
As someone who has never played the original Wasteland, would yall say this new sequel is easily accessible and not too complicated?

I don't want some super complex RPG

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
WL2 is extremely combat-oriented. But every fight - even the random ones - are in context. There are also more than enough ways to get EXP outside of combat, as well.

In short, while it is combat heavy, the combat never feels like it is overtaking other parts of the game.

Even in what little I saw of the Beta there are several occasions where you can talk yourself out of a fight. There is still a lot of required combat, but there is no shortage of instances where a sharp tongue can avoid blows.

As someone who has never played the original Wasteland, would yall say this new sequel is easily accessible and not too complicated?

I don't want some super complex RPG

The original game wasn't super complex. It is pretty antiquated at this point, bloated with useless skills and not very well balanced. This game has quite a bit that differentiates itself from its predecessor, it's more like an Infinity Engine game.

I think it's very accessible. The combat is like XCOM Enemy Unknown and the rest of the game is like...I'm not sure what to compare it to, like an overhead view KOTOR, if you ever played that?

Necrovex

Shit, I forgot that was a thing. That's okay, I'll be in the army for the next two years anyway

Before that this will have to do

I'm in the same situation as you, but instead of Army, replace it with Peace Corps. I'll be excited to play Torment when I get back from Africa!

Even in what little I saw of the Beta there are several occasions where you can talk yourself out of a fight. There is still a lot of required combat, but there is no shortage of instances where a sharp tongue can avoid blows.

Oh, one of my favorite moments is not only talking my way out of a fight, but
talking them into joining the Rangers. However, I didn't play far enough in that playthrough to see if it actually had them join up

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Oh, one of my favorite moments is not only talking my way out of a fight, but
talking them into joining the Rangers. However, I didn't play far enough in that playthrough to see if it actually had them join up

I sweet talked them then I killed them. Woooh Double XP.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I just bought Final Fantasy XIII on Steam, and now I'm afraid the games might be too similar. I don't want to burn out on this type of game, is this a valid fear?

Might as well pass on this game then. You don't want to burn yourself out before FFXIII comes out. It looks way better, has better music, has more women, has more tutorials, has more cutscenes, has more corridors, has more mythological figures turning into motorcycles and it has Troy Baker in it.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
From the beta, combat is not something you're going to be able to get around.

There are opportunities to utilize dialogue (mainly in the form of investing points in smart/hard/kiss ass, but also some based on context and having visisted previous areas and speaking to its occupants) to gain additional information, items, and the like, as well as evading combat in some instances (usually a more difficult check).

But you will have to learn the intricacies of the AP movement system, crouching, and the like.

There are plenty of ways to abuse it too, with pre-fight positioning by splitting up the party, etc.

Might as well pass on this game then. You don't want to burn yourself out before FFXIII comes out. It looks way better, has better music, has more women, has more tutorials, has more cutscenes, has more corridors, has more mythological figures turning into motorcycles and it has Troy Baker in it.

Early reviews led me to believe that Wasteland 2 doesn't have hair chocobos or SERAH, so I find it questionable as to whether it'll be able to compete on that front.

KePoW

Banned
The original game wasn't super complex. It is pretty antiquated at this point, bloated with useless skills and not very well balanced. This game has quite a bit that differentiates itself from its predecessor, it's more like an Infinity Engine game.

I think it's very accessible. The combat is like XCOM Enemy Unknown and the rest of the game is like...I'm not sure what to compare it to, like an overhead view KOTOR, if you ever played that?

ok thx, I loved XCOM EU on normal difficulty (no way I could play on the higher ones)

and I also liked KOTOR1 a lot (never played the second)

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

I made a character in wasteland and he could only have like 4 buckles on his uniform. What is this shit?

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

What about hair though? Which game has better hair?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I played my beta a month ago, and the performance was atrocious. I hope they fixed that. Has anything changed from a month ago, btw?

I thought the combat *felt* good, even if it wasn't the most interesting system. It worked well to me, I just kept running out of bullets with only one place on the map to replenish them, which was weird.

Labadal

994798_537453616303906_1772007130_n.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
Did I ever tell you how much I love Kickstarter? Thank you Kickstarter Gods, thank you.

Edit:

mattiewheels said:
I played my beta a month ago, and the performance was atrocious. I hope they fixed that. Has anything changed from a month ago, btw?

I thought the combat *felt* good, even if it wasn't the most interesting system. It worked well to me, I just kept running out of bullets with only one place on the map to replenish them, which was weird.

*puts on brakes*

whoa whoa whoa. How bad is atrocious here? How bad are we talkin'?

BeesEight

Here's a daft question, I was looking the other day where I could get my key and couldn't find it on the kickstarter page. I know I'm missing something. Do I have to register for their Wasteland website? I don't see any sort of login for it and the store page appears to only have early access or new copies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
*puts on brakes*

whoa whoa whoa. How bad is atrocious here? How bad are we talkin'?
I loaded it up just now to see if there was a difference, and there actually is. I had it on 'beautiful' before and it was choppy and chugging, now it's pretty much 60fps. I guess they fixed it.

Amir0x

Banned
I loaded it up just now to see if there was a difference, and there actually is. I had it on 'beautiful' before and it was choppy and chugging, now it's pretty much 60fps. I guess they fixed it.

oh thank the Gods

d...don't scare me like this. Wasteland 2 is basically been a dream of mine since before I was born. Don't ask me how I knew then about the Wasteland series, I just did!

okiemok

There was a teaser video for this that had the setting of different factions broadcasting their "message" over the radio air waves. I cannot find it. Is anyone familiar with a link to it?

mattiewheels

It's funny how I knew about Wasteland as a kid before Fallout came out (and that the mythos was what inspired FO), even though I never played it. I really think it was the cover art that stuck with me, this is possibly the greatest game box I've ever seen:

Wasteland_Coverart.png

Dr.Acula

Banned
So I have two digital keys and I entered both on Steam thinking the second one would show up as a "gift." Nope. So don't do that :)

Hopefully it didn't register. Steam is usually pretty good about not munching keys.

The only ish is that it makes trading the game somewhat harder. Anyone have an extra copy of Divinity: OS they want to swap?

Nete

Messing a bit with the beta, oh my with the character creation, is D:OS all over again. I'm gonna spend a couple hours there just thinking what the hell I want.

Top Bottom