• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is there any word on how much will change, if at all, in the final release? Was the last beta update basically final UI, icons and gameplay mechanics and so forth? Or were they still working things?

Sothpaw

Guess what I'm going to be doing all weekend? I have't played the beta in months because I want the full game to be fresh. Looks like the devs have made a ton of improvements since then.

Quick looks seems the same on the surface at least. Can't tell if there have been any tweaks to the stats or skills, but I doubt anything big has happened on that front.

Keep in mind that they're saying they're going all-in with post-release support based on feedback and wish to do more substantial stuff, but that depends on sales. There's plenty of room for improvement, I'm sure.

Sothpaw

Pretty sure it can pass D:OS's writing, world and quest design, etc. at a canter.

Totally agree. Divinity is excellent and does many things well, but just from the beta I already like WL2's writing, quests and story better. Divinity nails combat and content density.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Keep in mind that they're saying they're going all-in with post-release support based on feedback and wish to do more substantial stuff, but that depends on sales. There's plenty of room for improvement, I'm sure.

I'm more curious than concerned or hopeful for anything. The two or three things I'd liked changed are pretty fundamental, graphics, UI and no aimed shots, everything looks fine if not great.

I just can't wait.

It's so hard to choose the weapons to focus on too!

A lot of people say handguns are not very good long term, and a good basic all-around weapon is assault rifles. And they're right, ARs are pretty good.

I have one sniper and I love it, the range and damage are awesome. Except I ran out of rifle ammo really quickly and wanted her to be able to still do something, so I gave her a handgun. Even though she has no skill in it, she's no slouch with it either, since its AP cost is so low you get to fire off a lot of shots every round. So I kinda like handguns too, a bit.

I also have a blunt weapons guy, and melee attacks are awesome and powerful, but I have trouble getting him into the fight. I put his strength and speed so high that his awareness suffers, so he always goes last in the round, and it's just tough to get him in there in time to get some good whacks in.

So just to give him something else to do, I gave him a shotgun I had lying around. I heard shotguns aren't that great either because their AP costs are high and it's easy to catch your own party members in the blast...but damned if the shotgun isn't a lot of fun to use anyway. There aren't many other basic weapon area attacks and you can do awesome stuff with it. These raiders were laying mortar fire on Highpool, and I just ran up behind them and shotgunned the three guys at the mortar...I think the blast missed all of them, but it hit their equipment, which included multiple explosives, which all went up and killed all three. He doesn't even have any skill in shotguns and it's still really satisfying.

I don't have a heavy weapons guy either but this morning a gave one guy a rocket launcher just to try it out and it was pretty amazing too, nice blast radius.

I just don't know! Which weapon skills should I focus?!

Miletius

I'm excited. Loading now, will play this weekend since it's one of the rare I'm not busy weekends.

I might have an extra key too, pledged at the $ 50.00 level. The rewards are kind of insane, I got a boxed copy of the game plus 2 digital downloads. All that swag, nowhere to put it.

Sothpaw

I'm more curious than concerned or hopeful for anything. The two or three things I'd liked changed are pretty fundamental, graphics, UI and no aimed shots, everything looks fine if not great.

I believe headshots are in for the final release.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I just bought Final Fantasy XIII on Steam, and now I'm afraid the games might be too similar. I don't want to burn out on this type of game, is this a valid fear?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I believe headshots are in for the final release.

Yeah I was happy about that, especially because my main will be a Sniper. But I wish they could have just stolen the FO Aimed Shot system. It was so good, even if a bit broken by Eye shots. If they balanced it correctly it would have been great to leg shot melee characters to slow them down or disable them. Shoot ranged characters arms to reduce their accuracy. Stuff like that.

But they do have their own thing with crouching and now headshots along with some other stuff. Plus way better party controls.

By the way, here's something that sucks if you're obsessive like me.

Safe/container contents are rolled at the moment you open them, and not when the map is first loaded.

So you can save and load repeatedly to get different items out of them.

One safe gave me a FAMAS and a bunch of ammo, then on a later attempt a rocket launcher, then later a nice blunt melee weapon and a trinket that raises charisma by +1. And sometimes it didn't give me any weapon, just some ammo and junk.

Fantastapotamus

You can't be serious about this.
No, that is irrational fear as far as it goes.

Why? They are both RPGs right? Seems like they both are turnbased too and you have a party in both. Seems pretty similar to me.

I obviously need to work on my jokes. I'm bad at them :(

Why? They are both RPGs right? Seems like they both are turnbased too and you have a party in both. Seems pretty similar to me.

I obviously need to work on my jokes. I'm bad at them :(

I was going to reply facetiously because I was sure it was a joke, because of the cred your avatar gives you, but on the off chance you were serious it might be hurtful/confusing.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I just bought Final Fantasy XIII on Steam, and now I'm afraid the games might be too similar. I don't want to burn out on this type of game, is this a valid fear?

9303557199_ec1b3ea791_o.gif

studyguy

I had something like that happen too, it wouldn't let me click new game. I closed the game and opened it again and then I was able to play.

Of course it's just the beta version.

Yeah, almost definitely.

I'd recommend that you visit the other location when the game releases, go to Highpool instead. :)

I actually went to Highpool first then the hydroponics/greenhouse second.
Regarding one of the greenhouse events
Is there no way to save the researcher stuck in the roots?

Fantastapotamus

I'm seriously going to post "I'M JOKING" every time I try to make a joke from now on. Even better, I should just stop trying. This happens every time to me. I suck at this :(

I actually went to Highpool first then the hydroponics/greenhouse second.
Regarding one of the greenhouse events
Is there no way to save the researcher stuck in the roots?

I haven't actually been to Ag Center yet, so I'm not sure. The reason I recommended going to the other place first is because of a (light?) spoiler I saw earlier:
whichever one you ignore gets screwed and destroyed, and all the encounters change there as a result.

So maybe you can save the researcher if you go there first!

Moff

By the way, here's something that sucks if you're obsessive like me.

Safe/container contents are rolled at the moment you open them, and not when the map is first loaded.

So you can save and load repeatedly to get different items out of them.

One safe gave me a FAMAS and a bunch of ammo, then on a later attempt a rocket launcher, then later a nice blunt melee weapon and a trinket that raises charisma by +1. And sometimes it didn't give me any weapon, just some ammo and junk.

thats pretty dumb, and it was one of divinitys biggest faults.
are there at least good, fixed quest rewards and/or boss drops/rewards?

There are some fixed items you get, yeah. Well, again, I'm probably not one to talk because I didn't play that far, but with a speech skill check you can get a unique shotgun like 5 minutes into the game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

From what I played of the Beta it was a lot lot more consistent than DOS, but not perfect. I did save scum a shit ton to abuse safe cracking and lock picking and the like, which I hate, but I can't help myself. And I also did it to see different loot spawns and most of the time it was basically the same stuff and only rarely did I get anything seriously superior or OP for what I was looting. Though occasionally you'd crack open a safe and find total shit and then open a random crate and strike gold which was a little odd.

nbthedude

I backed the kickstarter but just can't get excited when I look at videos of this game. It just looks pretty bad to me. The walking animations are so bad it looks like the characters are on a 3 man bicycle or something.

Maybe Divinity spoiled me but it looks so much better than this.

I backed the kickstarter but just can't get excited when I look at videos of this game. It just looks pretty bad to me. The walking animations are so bad it looks like the characters are on a 3 man bicycle or something.

I guess my expectations are really low, because I think this game looks pretty good.

I redeem it, install the game, click on "New Game", and nothing happens.

What a tease.
If you can get to the title screen, you can play. Try firing it up again.

Of course, it's better to wait until tomorrow and the release day update at this point, you once it's on your machine you can play it.

I doubt the combat system will measure up to that of Divinity, but I'm hoping this game will far outshine the other is in multiple solutions, branching paths, and narrative consequences. They've implied you see the impact of decisions made hours earlier, and the game can end way before the "true ending" if you take a certain paths. Divinity didn't really deliver in the sense of a reactive world, and I hope Wasteland 2 can make the world feel more dynamic.

I do dislike that you can't zoom in that far, but whatever.

Coreda

Btw, if anyone has a spare key they'd like to give away I'd gladly take it :) The release date came as a bit of a surprise, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to playing it, but thought I'd ask in case someone's feeling generous.

I'm hoping we get a lot of variety in enemies and monsters and such. At least as much as Fallout. The original game had all kinds of weird enemies like ghouls and giant lizards and bunnies. I haven't seen a lot of media for this game yet, but it's mostly looked like humans and robots, I hope we see a lot more.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I'm hoping we get a lot of variety in enemies and monsters and such. At least as much as Fallout. The original game had all kinds of weird enemies like ghouls and giant lizards and bunnies. I haven't seen a lot of media for this game yet, but it's mostly looked like humans and robots, I hope we see a lot more.

There's a holy mess of mutant plants and animals. I'm sure there will be other creatures born of radiation out in the wastes as well. But probably bandits and robots will be the bread and butter.

Almighty

I know what I will be playing this weekend. I have been on pretty much total blackout for this game. Here's hoping it turns out to be something great.

I think it does. But they cut the giant hermit crabs that use cars as shells. :(

I'm wondering if I should keep George Washington as a melee tank.

I mean, thematically, I like that. But without a gun, he's kinda slow.

From what I played of the Beta it was a lot lot more consistent than DOS, but not perfect. I did save scum a shit ton to abuse safe cracking and lock picking and the like, which I hate, but I can't help myself. And I also did it to see different loot spawns and most of the time it was basically the same stuff and only rarely did I get anything seriously superior or OP for what I was looting. Though occasionally you'd crack open a safe and find total shit and then open a random crate and strike gold which was a little odd.

Fix rewards sounds like a good thing but it's almost impossible to do right and balanced correctly with the branching storylines and diverse class options.

Nete

I wasn't planning on buying/playing this for several months... but here I am, downloading it. Oh well.

I blame you, Labadal!

Here's something else that kinda sucks that people should know about:

There are shrines that either give 1 attribute point to everyone in your party, or 1 skill point. Skill points are nice, but attribute points are nicer; as far as I know there is no other way to increase your attributes after character creation, and they have a big effect on combat.

But currently, you can't revisit these shrines later to give points to new party members who join. (In case you didn't know, you start with 4 rangers and can have up to 3 NPCs join as well.) A lot of shrines are accessible very early on before you're likely to have anyone else with you. And even if you have a couple extra NPCs in the group, they may not be ones you want to have with you for the rest of the game. It's pretty typical that early hirelings are terrible and later ones are awesome.

If you're a min/maxer you will probably want to avoid shrines altogether for a long time, until you're sure you've got the group together that you want to play the rest of the game with.

Necrovex

Oh shit! I have to access my old ass Facebook account now, since I used it to kickstart Wasteland 2. What should I expect from this title? Combat heavy, or will it be dialogue heavy, or perhaps a mix?

Oh shit! I have to access my old ass Facebook account now, since I used it to kickstart Wasteland 2. What should I expect from this title? Combat heavy, or will it be dialogue heavy, or perhaps a mix?

A mix. I think leaning a little toward combat/skill heavy. That doesn't mean there isn't much dialogue or that it's bad, just that combat is a pretty major focus of the game.

Top Bottom