• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Sanctuary

I really don't like how the movement system in the game works, most especially how walking out of combat doesn't at all relate to in combat and my placement of characters pre-battle often doesn't align with the actual square grids, which throws off their placement, sometimes wildly leaving them exposed or in the line of fire. As well as how easy it is to have characters boxed in when you have a full part of 7.

My biggest complaint with the combat is the boxed in aspect. Whoops, sorry, you can't move at all, even with 10 (or more) AP. Nope, in a real life situation, you wouldn't be able to shove through/step around/over anyone in your party. Nope. As far as your first issue, yeah it sucks, but you kind of learn to deal with it after it screws you over the first or second time by spreading your group out around cover within a relatively decent, pre-aggro range. I have more of a problem with the out of combat camera and zoom than anything else though. That shit is atrocious.

z1ggy

I already like this game better than Divinity, and I loved Divinity. Love the setting, NPC's, writing, out of combat skills and just the whole package. Only finished the Ag Center so far, but what a great, long and fairly challenging area.

The game only gets better over time. I´m 28 hours into it and i´m having a blast. Sadly Fargo will probably go for Bards Tale IV instead of a Wasteland 3 in the near future.

Gazoinks

My biggest complaint with the combat is the boxed in aspect. Whoops, sorry, you can't move at all, even with 10 (or more) AP. Nope, in a real life situation, you wouldn't be able to shove through/step around/over anyone in your party. Nope. As far as your first issue, yeah it sucks, but you kind of learn to deal with it after it screws you over the first or second time by spreading your group out around cover within a relatively decent, pre-aggro range.

Yeah, party members not being able to move through each other is kind of a bummer. It's annoying out of combat, too. I've had times where I'm trying to get my Sniper to a safe to crack it, but she's trapped in the middle of the party so I have to reposition everyone and try again.

Sanctuary

Yeah, party members not being able to move through each other is kind of a bummer. It's annoying out of combat, too. I've had times where I'm trying to get my Sniper to a safe to crack it, but she's trapped in the middle of the party so I have to reposition everyone and try again.

Hit spacebar with your Sniper selected. I do this for demolitions also.

Also, in case no one realized this...as soon as the Citadel vendor has items available for purchase, those same items get restocked really fast. It may even be as fast as simply going to another area on the map and returning to the Citadel.

hemtae

Well today I just learned that you can press z to see everything that's selectable. More order is restored in my life.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I really don't like how the movement system in the game works, most especially how walking out of combat doesn't at all relate to in combat and my placement of characters pre-battle often doesn't align with the actual square grids, which throws off their placement, sometimes wildly leaving them exposed or in the line of fire. As well as how easy it is to have characters boxed in when you have a full part of 7.

I wish you could enter and exit combat freely like in Fallout. So I could initiate combat, sneak people around the map, and start an ambush. I had a bug in Darwin, where
I ran past some of the mutants because I was instructed not to kill a lot, but I couldn't enter the vent even after I flipped the purifier because I was still in "combat." I had to kill the guys in the first hall. After I did that I ran past everyone later and when I turned on the purifier the combat ended.
Enemies should disengage if you flee them enough.

Gazoinks

Hit spacebar with your Sniper selected. I do this for demolitions also.

Does this solve the problem of someone being stuck in the middle of your party? Haven't tried it for that. I did learn to go solo for demolitions the first time I blew up my entire party, though. :D

Well today I just learned that you can press z to see everything that's selectable. More order is restored in my life.

I was wondering if you could do that. Good to know.

Sothpaw

Needs cars. 'Things Wasteland 2 can Learn from Fallout 2', part six: cars.

Part one would be traits and perks.

Assuming they had only the time to implement what they did, I would take full party control and NPC's with dialogue over traits and perks.

The game only gets better over time. I´m 28 hours into it and i´m having a blast. Sadly Fargo will probably go for Bards Tale IV instead of a Wasteland 3 in the near future.

So Torment, then a proper Bard's Tale game (not the mobile game right?) then Wasteland 3 would sound good to me. But yea I am loving WL2 so much that I would rather have WL3 than another Bard's Tale.

MRMagoo

Neo Member
This game is a blast, I was loving it from the start, it may be too slow for some younger gamers though. i found a hidden cache out in the desert that was filled with thousands of "extra terrestrial: the video game" lol they weighed too much so I left them there.

z1ggy

So Torment, then a proper Bard's Tale game (not the mobile game right?) then Wasteland 3 would sound good to me. But yea I am loving WL2 so much that I would rather have WL3 than another Bard's Tale.

The last Bards Tale was a parody game. Fargo was saying recently that his most request from people is that they want a proper follow up. And im with you, i want a Wasteland 3 after Torment.

Xater

The last Bards Tale was a parody game. Fargo was saying recently that his most request from people is that they want a proper follow up. And im with you, i want a Wasteland 3 after Torment.

Bard's Tale kinda always was a parody game. The last one just was an action RPG which I would assume this new one would not be. I'd be into that.

rickyson1

weird bug

so I saved the mine and recruited and used the miner npc for a while,later I dismissed him for someone else and now whenever I talk to him he's mad at me and talks about how I killed the miners and everyone in the citadel keeps saying that they haven't heard from the mine since I called the mission in,if I go back to the mine the guy that originally gave me the blasting cap says "thank you so much!" and everyone else says "get away from me"

rickyson1

I really wish this was better advertised or something

just found out about it myself today too while reading some thread on ineiles forum,it's nice to finally not have to painstakingly squint around the screen to make sure I don't miss stuff anymore 20 hours in

Sanctuary

Holy shit, did people not know about the 'Z' key? I can't imagine how much I'd have missed without it.

Yeah, been using it from the very start. No wonder some might be having ammo issues (even with the randomness).

Found my first typo. At least I think anyway. Kind of surprised too. Tip #4 from the Anger Management for Angry Managers:

Focus on the physical sensations of anger. Focus on the way it's making you feel, and this will actually put your mind at east.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Restarted to change up my party, and wow AG Center is about 100x more difficult than High Pool.

Yeah, it's funny how uneven the two are. I've completed Highpool in the Beta and in release, but only got most of the way through AG Center in the beta and the length and difficulty was rather staggering.

Sanctuary

HAHAHAHA, OMFG. I can't believe they added this.

There's a "cache" of the Atari E.T. game.
. You know, the game that is reported to be filling up a huge landfill somewhere?

Restarted to change up my party, and wow AG Center is about 100x more difficult than High Pool.

It is but you get the best NPC in the game and it has a better atmosphere and some actual story content.

AHA-Lambda

Just got
my first set of tributes in the Titan Canyon
now. Man the fights are really getting much tougher now, can't tell if I'm maybe doing something wrong :S

Holy shit, did people not know about the 'Z' key? I can't imagine how much I'd have missed without it.

Wha? D:

I had no idea :(

Gazoinks

It is but you get the best NPC in the game and it has a better atmosphere and some actual story content.

Did I miss someone else, or are you referring to
Rose?
I'm using her right now, but I'm not that impressed (aside from her great Computer Use). Partly because I haven't gotten around to giving her a non-weird weapon though.

e: Oh wow, her Int is insane. I don't think I properly looked at her stats before. I take that back!

What up with the
rat named Satan in Rodia? Virgil started attacking me after I used animal whisper on it. The weird thing is that if I reload the save, he appears in the exact same area I was before the reload.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Man, MAN!
I just had the most amazing fight. So I walk into some random wagon in the Rail Nomad Camp and find a lady that I was looking for. I give her a letter and suddenly
this fucking guy walks in. Not only does he want to turn her into is Sex Slave, he is also that fucking Pitbull guy that wrote that awful Man In Black 3 Theme song. As a good Ranger, and lover of decent music, I helped her, completly forgetting that my team wasn't healed up. So he just starts shooting my team, 3 Ranger were down to less than 10 health. All my turns were done, he has still like 15 health and I just have to pray he misses or shoots at my healthy Ranger......when suddnely this fucking Rat I picked up from a statue runs up to him and fucking KILLS HIM. I didn't even realise those animals will fight for you cause I hadn't used the Animal Whisperer Skill before (but Ralphy has like 5 so I usd it)
I almost died laughing, than I cried. Then I laughed again. What an amazingly stupid moment. Or stupidly amazing. I love this game.

HAHAHAHA, OMFG. I can't believe they added this.

There's a "cache" of the Atari E.T. game.
. You know, the game that is reported to be filling up a huge landfill somewhere?

It was excavated.

Man, MAN!
I just had the most amazing fight. So I walk into some random wagon in the Rail Nomad Camp and find a lady that I was looking for. I give her a letter and suddenly
this fucking guy walks in. Not only does he want to turn her into is Sex Slave, he is also that fucking Pitbull guy that wrote that awful Man In Black 3 Theme song. As a good Ranger, and lover of decent music, I helped her, completly forgetting that my team wasn't healed up. So he just starts shooting my team, 3 Ranger were down to less than 10 health. All my turns were done, he has still like 15 health and I just have to pray he misses or shoots at my healthy Ranger......when suddnely this fucking Rat I picked up from a statue runs up to him and fucking KILLS HIM. I didn't even realise those animals will fight for you cause I hadn't used the Animal Whisperer Skill before (but Ralphy has like 5 so I usd it)
I almost died laughing, than I cried. Then I laughed again. What an amazingly stupid moment. Or stupidly amazing. I love this game.

We need more games like this.

Salvatron

THANK YOU!! I had no idea.

So if you have the group selected... all actions become group actions (pre-combat)? I noticed everytime I reload with the group selected everyone reloads. Or when I free aim, everyone gets a shot off (kinda handy against certain baddies, but wonder if this will get patched away).

I'm not very far and am considering re-creating my group to Charmer/Pistoleer, Soldier/Mechanic, Hacker/Sniper, Survivalist/Doctor.

Gazoinks

THANK YOU!! I had no idea.

So if you have the group selected... all actions become group actions (pre-combat)? I noticed everytime I reload with the group selected everyone reloads. Or when I free aim, everyone gets a shot off (kinda handy against certain baddies, but wonder if this will get patched away).

I'm not very far and am considering re-creating my group to Charmer/Pistoleer, Soldier/Mechanic, Hacker/Sniper, Survivalist/Doctor.

To control a single person, you have to hit Space or use the button at the left of the character bar with a picture of a bunch of guys on it. Otherwise, yeah, everyone will do the action (aside from skills). Really nice for reloading with everyone at once.

Salvatron

To control a single person, you have to hit Space or use the button at the left of the character bar with a picture of a bunch of guys on it. Otherwise, yeah, everyone will do the action (aside from skills). Really nice for reloading with everyone at once.

Yeah, I kind of like it, but wasn't sure if it was an error.
Is there a way to have sub-groups (outside of just shift-selecting them) like in DOS?

Lime

Some great custom portraits in this thread: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7440

Just put them in your documents\my games\wasteland 2\custom portraits\ folder. Use the Save edit tool if you want to apply them to your already existing characters.

Examples:
Custom1.png
Custom10.png
Custom26.png
hat_zpsf4ac5ba2.png
Zoht9FW.png
2Xr0YL6.png

Lime

I like the complexity of this game. The combination of attributes is probably the hardest part, as it pretty much locks you into a certain path from the get-go. Kind of a high learning curve if you have no idea about the importance of skill points, action points, and intelligence.

I'm not sure about how long characters are able to be ranged in terms of ammo. Are there sufficient re-supplies and loot for my sniper and assault rifle characters?

Dresden

Damn, this one would've come in handy yesterday. Settled on using the default dreadlock portrait plus the appropriate character model options, and just editing it in would clash with what he looks like in-game.

I'm not sure about how long characters are able to be ranged in terms of ammo. Are there sufficient re-supplies and loot for my sniper and assault rifle characters?

No need to worry about ammo after the first hour or so.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
one thing i wish for is a mod that doesnt ramdomize enemy loot and you get whatever they were equipped with.

akira28

Some great custom portraits in this thread: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7440

Just put them in your documents\my games\wasteland 2\custom portraits\ folder. Use the Save edit tool if you want to apply them to your already existing characters.

Examples:
Zoht9FW.png

this is almost good enough to steal as a new avatar. I remember this was one of my primary requests during the earliest stages. More people of color in the avatars.

Sanctuary

Did I miss someone else, or are you referring to
Rose?
I'm using her right now, but I'm not that impressed (aside from her great Computer Use). Partly because I haven't gotten around to giving her a non-weird weapon though.

e: Oh wow, her Int is insane. I don't think I properly looked at her stats before. I take that back!

Yeah, it's really power-gamey and you wouldn't actually know about it on your first playthrough (until restart anyway), but
she allows you to assemble a more combat oriented team early on, she can max out Surgeon, Computer Science, put 5-7 in handguns so that she won't ever really miss at the range she needs to be anyway, 5+ in Medic and then pick another weapon type (thinking Energy just for RP purposes and because she needs a harder hitting/better ranged weapon). It would also be a good idea to just give her enough in Coordination to hit 10 AP and after that go with Awareness if you get to high enough levels.

Okay, the Rail Nomad camp pretty much screams for a working map. Holy shit it's big.

Yep, the maps are really bad. Not being able to put markers on specific places of interest hurts too since the map is so jumbled looking.

I think I've created the first custom program for the Ranger Citadel's 6502 computer.

As I mentioned on an earlier page, there's a file located in Documents\My Games\Wasteland2\Drive1 called Diskette. If you open it in notepad it will give you the details, essentially that computer in the Ranger Citadel is a fully-functioning 6502 computer, similar to the Apple, NES or Commodore 64, and you can write assembly programs for it, which I have done.

Here's the program I made. To run it, simply replace that Diskette file with mine. I suggest naming the existing file DisketteOLD or something so you don't lose it. Uh, you probably won't want to lose it.

BeesEight

edit: Oh, and has anyone found any actual use for the kickstarter back skill, Southwest Knowledge or whatever it's called? Unless I'm missing it, it's not highlighted in making itself known during dialogues.

There's a kickstarter skill? I haven't seen one in my copy. Do you have to level it or is it innate?

How far are you? You can buy one pretty early in the game. Right after you have access to the Citadel.

Oh, guess not far enough. I still haven't set up
the two additional towers. I only just finished up the Rail Nomads area. Brokering peace with them took awhile. I just got level 10 though.

draetenth

There's a kickstarter skill? I haven't seen one in my copy. Do you have to level it or is it innate?

You need to activate it:

Activating the Backer Skill

As a backer, you can activate a unique skill in the game. This is our special thanks to all our backers. To do so, type in "61290" when in dialog with Cpl. Solveig Sefors, the supply officer standing outside at Ranger Citadel. Thank you for your support!

Sanctuary

Oh, guess not far enough. I still haven't set up
the two additional towers. I only just finished up the Rail Nomads area. Brokering peace with them took awhile. I just got level 10 though.

Err, you're way past the point of being able to get the good weapons.
After you finish either Ag Center OR Highpool, you can go back to the Citadel and start buying better gear. It may require another quest or a few levels to get even higher level items, but I'm not sure. Also, you can just buy an item, leave the vendor, then talk to him again and he magically restocks.

Mr. Tibbs

IGN's review is live.

Wasteland 2 might not be the prettiest CRPG to hit digital shelves this year, but it captures the harsh hypothetical realities of the post-apocalyptic American Southwest with excellent writing, decisions with terrifying consequences, and background voice work that reinforce the human suffering that results from them. It's a game about the power of choices, and the few remaining glitches and issues with its combat do little to diminish its power.

I think we can all agree Wasteland 2 is a massive improvement over Hunted: The Demon's Forge.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/09/24/wasteland-2-review#disqus_thread

IGN Review is up.

This isn't entirely relevant, but I want to make it know just how terrible IGN's comment section is as evidenced through the top comment. That's me. I'm tired of how f'ed up that site's users are and I couldn't take it anymore. I wish I was a member so much right now because I want to make an extensive thread about the state of IGN's comment section so badly just so everyone can know why that site is so bad in terms of users on the site.

Top Bottom