• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ok, great. So my save is bugged. I saved the miners in Leve Lupe Mine, like 10 hours ago, and now for some reason everyone is saying I killed them, and if I take Takayuki out of my party he won't come back.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
End-game spoilers (and potential shenanigans/glitches/weird shit) below.

I don't suppose anyone's made it to
What I presume is the last 'choice' of the game?

Unless this is some secret 'go-down-fighting' end, fuck this shit.

Due to my choice, I've killed 10+ synths, don't have optimal ammo resources (as I assumed there would be a vendor before the last charge back into the citadel) and more and more keep coming out of the woodwork.

And to add insult to injury, Rose was a synth (as was hinted at, to be fair), and I lost my primary medic, + another source of damage.

I'm not seeing a 'shut-off' switch like the Demonta synth either. Is there somethign I'm missing?

Ok, great. So my save is bugged. I saved the miners in Leve Lupe Mine, like 10 hours ago, and now for some reason everyone is saying I killed them, and if I take Takayuki out of my party he won't come back.

If for any reason I try to drop Scotchmo from the party, he instantly turns hostile, gains bonus armor, and tries to kill me.

Dresden

Wrapped up Ag Center, and it's so much better than Highpool that it should be one of the tips given to new players - save Ag Center first.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If for any reason I try to drop Scotchmo from the party, he instantly turns hostile, gains bonus armor, and tries to kill me.

How long is
Angela missing from the group in the canyons? Because if it's not long I'll just do without totally reshuffling my companions for the time. I doubt I'll really need weaponsmithing, brute force or hardass since they barely come into play.

Metroidvania

How long is
Angela missing from the group in the canyons? Because if it's not long I'll just do without totally reshuffling my companions for the time. I doubt I'll really need weaponsmithing, brute force or hardass since they barely come into play.

Uh.....

Permanently, unless I've missed finding her again in California.

Weaponsmithing is super useful for breaking down extra guns to get mods (eventually, mods from later tier weapons give pretty crazy bonuses), or turning in scrap to the Citadel vendor, incidentally.

The "keyword" dialog system is so weird. Keywords that have (or will have) a use in other conversations do nothing, and everything else is a "DIDN'T CATCH THAT, SAY AGAIN. OVER" This, coupled with the way words are highlighted, makes me suspect they originally had this dialog system without the keywords on the bottom. They made the right choice in the end.

That said, I actually like the dialog system. It is flexible in a way that most aren't, and using it with a party of characters gives players a lot of flexibility in their roleplaying options. It is a great way to justify a lot of... admitted odd decisions.

Wrapped up Ag Center, and it's so much better than Highpool that it should be one of the tips given to new players - save Ag Center first.

Don't be crazy. Water is important; like the Vita, it is life.

Volodja

I kind of enjoyed Highpool, I've only seen AG Center after shit hit the fan, but there were way too many melee enemies for me to not hate it by that point (when nobody hit anything).

In other news, I'm being forced to make some uncomfortable skilling decisions because of how I placed some seemengly important skills on the same characters that are also my fighting beasts so I can't actually level them all so now not only do I have 3 characters with at least 1 point in Surgeon (decision made during a crisis where I was gonna wipe), but I'll probably have 2 character with over 3 in Mechanical Repair because I'll have to level from 0 to 7 one other character to close a certain section the way I want it (yes, I have 26 skill points saved on said character).

The problem surfaced because I basically before now I wasted like 8 points on the character that already has Mechanical Repair and he is nowhere near close enough to do what I need him to do.

But it doesn't seem like speeding up the leveling of the weapon trees is that important, at least for now (single shots are at about 90% accuracy when crouching and I usually setup my fights so that that's the case).

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Uh.....

Weaponsmithing is super useful for breaking down extra guns to get mods (eventually, mods from later tier weapons give pretty crazy bonuses), or turning in scrap to the Citadel vendor, incidentally.

Sadness,
she was easily my best offensive member, going to have to really rethink my party now that I don't have that double assault rifle action she brought with her super fast turns.

Volodja

Uh.....

Wait, what?
I hope that's not the case because that would fucking sucks, she not only was my secondary Assault Rifle angel of death, but she was also my Hard Ass talker. And also my Brute Force user.

Violet_0

Banned
Man, MAN!
I just had the most amazing fight. So I walk into some random wagon in the Rail Nomad Camp and find a lady that I was looking for. I give her a letter and suddenly
this fucking guy walks in. Not only does he want to turn her into is Sex Slave, he is also that fucking Pitbull guy that wrote that awful Man In Black 3 Theme song. As a good Ranger, and lover of decent music, I helped her, completly forgetting that my team wasn't healed up. So he just starts shooting my team, 3 Ranger were down to less than 10 health. All my turns were done, he has still like 15 health and I just have to pray he misses or shoots at my healthy Ranger......when suddnely this fucking Rat I picked up from a statue runs up to him and fucking KILLS HIM. I didn't even realise those animals will fight for you cause I hadn't used the Animal Whisperer Skill before (but Ralphy has like 5 so I usd it)
I almost died laughing, than I cried. Then I laughed again. What an amazingly stupid moment. Or stupidly amazing. I love this game.

I gave her the letter and she just shot herself in the head :(
I suppose that's what I get for picking smart ass over kiss ass

Volodja

I gave her the letter and she just shot herself in the head :(
I suppose that's what I get for picking smart ass over kiss ass
Happened to me too,
then I went back to her brother and told him about it and then got him arrested.
My Rangers are monsters.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I am really lost in Canyon of Titan. I think I have uncovered the entire map but I can't fine the entrance to the temple?

Metroidvania

I am really lost in Canyon of Titan. I think I have uncovered the entire map but I can't fine the entrance to the temple?

From where you start, the temple entrance is
basically going around in a maze/giant-clockwise circle to get to the south-southwest area.

At some point you should encounter two cart-vendors fighting. After that, loop around back up the hill and you'll find the monk who leads to the exit

BeesEight

You need to activate it:

Activating the Backer Skill

As a backer, you can activate a unique skill in the game. This is our special thanks to all our backers. To do so, type in "61290" when in dialog with Cpl. Solveig Sefors, the supply officer standing outside at Ranger Citadel. Thank you for your support!

Ah, that explains it. Thank you kindly.

Err, you're way past the point of being able to get the good weapons.
After you finish either Ag Center OR Highpool, you can go back to the Citadel and start buying better gear. It may require another quest or a few levels to get even higher level items, but I'm not sure. Also, you can just buy an item, leave the vendor, then talk to him again and he magically restocks.

Yeah, I just got into the Citadel now. Egg on my face. I thought you had to finish the whole of that first task and not the initial part. Game's uh... definitely got a lot easier.

Sanctuary

Uh, so I helped
Skunk Pig, and he told me that no Raiders in AZ would bother me anymore unless I attacked them first.
Yet the random ass raider fights on the world map continue.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I did exactly the same :D
though I got him arrested by accident while clicking through the dialogue options

I just never
delivered the letter, and never spoke to the sister. One day Pitbull steps to me in town all "fuck you" and I think "fuck me? Fuck YOU" and blow him away. The brother then gets upset about my not buying his shitty guns so I hard ass him in to crying off back home.

I then show up in the railcamp and find the two of them in a car together and everything's great (although they don't know I iced Pitbull).

Dresden

Seeing how these events play out differently is pretty nice. {at the rail nomad camp)
In my abandoned playthrough, Katy ended up killing herself and I met Pitbull later in Prison - after freeing all the girls in his 'Fuk Shak' - but here, I managed to convince Robert to go help his sister, and in doing so triggered Pitbull to appear at the camp, where I killed him. Upon leaving the camp, we intercepted a radio transmission from Danforth to Vargas talking about this. Curious to see how it plays out once I reach Happy Valley again.

Moff

I dismissed the shotgun hobo, does anyone know there companions go when you dismissed them? he is not at the ranger citadel, not where I left him and not where I picked him up in the first place.

I am so unbelievably pissed off at this game. Assault rifle users are OP right? So I guess that's why I just had her as my only one, and the game made her leave my party with absolutely no warning and no way of ever getting her back.

She was so overpowered I let her carry the entire weight of most battles, not knowing that the game was going to remove her out of my control.

Now I'm completely underpowered. SHe sits at base unable to talk to me, with no reason why she can't join us. What a crock.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I dismissed the shotgun hobo, does anyone know there companions go when you dismissed them? he is not at the ranger citadel, not where I left him and not where I picked him up in the first place.

Kind of inconsistent. I dismissed him once just to add a dude and he was at the Citadel in the lunch room. I did lose Chisel somehow. He just never showed at the Citadel.

This game is 100% playable so far, but I'm gonna wait a year to do a second play-through.

I waited on Shadowrun for them to add save anywhere and it seemed to have made a diff in the reception of that game. I was positive on the experience because I never had a "lose an hour" moment due to save shenanigans.

I just got Divinity: OS as well, and they're still patching that so I'm good to wait on that.

Has inXile commented on when the first patch is expected to drop? There are clearly a lot of bugs. I sent them a bug report yesterday about the Katy Bowling sidequest:

Hi Dr.Acula,

Thanks for your report! We're forwarding all reports and issue to our team directly for prioritization and investigation. Unfortunately we don't have a specific resolution for you particular issue, but rest assured that we're going to be taking a look at it in the near future.

Best,
inXile

batfax

I guess. I just had
Vax
join my party, and he gave me a Star Wars quote.

I picked him up too... but for some reason after a few battles he just unceremoniously exploded. Never got hit or damaged, just poof, gone. Still not sure if it was a bug or what the heck to make of it.

Xanathus

I'm at Canyon of Titan now and feel like restarting because the skill checks are outpacing my characters, but I reaaaaally don't want to replay the beginning of the game again. Sigh.

AHA-Lambda

I'm at Canyon of Titan now and feel like restarting because the skill checks are outpacing my characters, but I reaaaaally don't want to replay the beginning of the game again. Sigh.

I know the feeling, I (shamefully) admit I edited the xml files, after someone in this thread mentioned it.

I really wish there was a respec option or something, you just can't appreciate how to build a balanced party until a good few hours in

plus when Angela leaves it'll pro throw you totally off too!

Ps: even with that said, the fights in the canyon are hard, and I'm playing on rookie; I feel like I'm missing something!
But I don't have a lot of experience with old school crpgs, hence easy mode.

batfax

Just keep at it. There's almost always another way around problems if you can't make the right skill checks. Personally, my favorite is hoarding explosives for whenever I need to get past something I can't meet any of the checks for. 60% of the time, it works every time.

I've also started piling some of my best equipment onto companions to make up for the fact I don't ever increase their skills... until I need it. I think Rose has nearly 40 unallocated skill points for any emergency my rangers can't cover.

I know what you mean.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the progression, but skill checks seem really badly tuned. Success rates of 50% might be their goal, but too often it just means the skills are useless. The only truly valuable skills have been perception, demolitions, weaponsmithing, and outdooring, along with the weapon and medic skills. Let's say about half the skills are useful, with the rest being extraneous -especially the persuasion skills (which are unpredictable and erratic in difficulty). The increased lethality you would receive from focusing on weapons would more than offset the decreased flexibility in how you approach encounters.

This game could've been so much better if they did a polish, balance, and fun pass on the entire thing.

Xanathus

Decided to restart the game, a lot of skills turn out to be so useless and you need to focus more on combat. Now I need to look for better portraits because holy crap InXile couldn't even be bothered to include some decent ones by default? I also need to remember never to bring along any NPCs who are specced for melee, they pretty much suicide themselves when they go out of control and you're fighting enemies that explode themselves or animals that are strong in melee.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Some great custom portraits in this thread: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7440

Just put them in your documentsmy gameswasteland 2custom portraits folder. Use the Save edit tool if you want to apply them to your already existing characters.

Examples:
Custom1.png
Custom10.png
Custom26.png
hat_zpsf4ac5ba2.png
Zoht9FW.png
2Xr0YL6.png

hot damn am i going to have to grab those!

Madouu

Wrapped up Ag center, had to roll back one hour earlier because I took too much time wandering around and the infection turned into an acute one which is apparently incurable.

I loved the location and its content but I do wish there were a bit more sidequests.

DiscoJer

The save games are just xml files. It's trivially easy to just give your characters more skill points.

Just edit the file (notepad works) and look for <availableSkillPoints> and put whatever you want after it.

Wrapped up Ag center, had to roll back one hour earlier because I took too much time wandering around and the infection turned into an acute one which is apparently incurable.

I loved the location and its content but I do wish there were a bit more sidequests.

Keep at it, the very start of the game is pretty narrow but once you get to the point where you explore more, some things open up.

From what I understand the quest design changes completely in the second half.

Wanace

Kind of inconsistent. I dismissed him once just to add a dude and he was at the Citadel in the lunch room. I did lose Chisel somehow. He just never showed at the Citadel.

They may be wandering around the Citadel, not necessarily in the lunch room. At least, I found Chisel in the museum area after I dismissed him, although Scotchmo was in the lunch room.

which one is the lunch room? I might have missed that one.

It's in the northwest, a little more central, around the corner from the room with the requisition lady. There's a water refill inside and a guy who gives you credit for each person you recruit.

Moff

It's in the northwest, a little more central, around the corner from the room with the requisition lady. There's a water refill inside and a guy who gives you credit for each person you recruit.

north of the requsition lady then? I dont think I've been there, I'll check that out, thanks.

Xanathus

The save games are just xml files. It's trivially easy to just give your characters more skill points.

Just edit the file (notepad works) and look for <availableSkillPoints> and put whatever you want after it.
I'd rather not cheat, and anyway I've already restarted and found an optimal way to get some decent party NPCs early on.

Top Bottom