• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

Going to start this game shortly, anything I really need to know in advance?

Yes, a lot.

Character creation is tough and you won't know what you did wrong until a few hours into the game, at which point you will probably feel like restarting, as many people in the thread have done.

For example there is one character you recruit 5 minutes into the game who already has a couple of skills you may have invested in at creation, that now are wasted. The same goes for other characters you can recruit pretty early.

If you're willing to read spoilers you may be able to build a better character at the outset, otherwise be prepared to get a little frustrated.

Very Important Gameplay Tips That Everyone Should Know:

- Press M to bring up the map. You can double click on the map to zoom the camera to that location, and then right click to start your characters walking there. Basically nobody knows that you can do this!

- Press Z to highlight all interactive objects within range. This helps immensely for finding little boxes and other items, it even shows through walls if you've got your camera turned around.

You can press X to swap your character's weapon with their secondary, and R to reload. Be sure to reload after every fight. Also, if you press the spacebar to select an individual and then spacebar again to select everyone again, at that moment you can press X to swap EVERY character's weapon at once, making reloading everything after a big fight very easy. Space, Space, R, X, R, X.

Managed to (rail nomad spoilers)
resolve the Topekan/Atchison feud peacefully, but doing so actually made me save-scum, because I thought I'd done everything right (except missing one Smart Ass 6 check, because my highest rank right now is 4) and they ended up killing one another at the final meeting.

Turns out you can use the keyword "both" when talking to Casey about who should have the golden spike, regardless of your conversation skills. That's kind of cool, but now it has me conscious that I may have missed other chances to actually use keywords to solve quests in ways that aren't obvious.

Moff

No, one room directly east of her.

WL2_Ranger_Citadel_Interior_Map_Minimap.jpg

lets settle on northeast, I completely missed that room

Managed to (rail nomad spoilers)
resolve the Topekan/Atchison feud peacefully, but doing so actually made me save-scum, because I thought I'd done everything right (except missing one Smart Ass 6 check, because my highest rank right now is 4) and they ended up killing one another at the final meeting.

Turns out you can use the keyword "both" when talking to Casey about who should have the golden spike, regardless of your conversation skills. That's kind of cool, but now it has me conscious that I may have missed other chances to actually use keywords to solve quests in ways that aren't obvious.

I don't think I've ever gotten the keyword system to work.

Thanks a lot. Any chance you could direct me to where I can read about character creation in the thread? To be honest a couple of spoilers sounds better than restarting.

The bottom of the OP has a link to tips.

Here's a more up-to-date little rundown, based on my own playthrough with the release version.

Luck is considered a total dump stat, you should miss nothing by having it at 1 for everyone.

Charisma is a dump stat for everyone unless you want one character with high charisma, like 8 or 9, who has the Leadership skill. I would personally recommend that, it's worth it, and you will need a certain total party charisma anyway to be able to recruit some characters. For example, there's a shotgun hobo who requires having 15, so with 10 or 11 from your base party and 2 other recruits, you should be able to pick him up.

Pump strength and speed if you want a melee character, like 8 of both. You need a strength of 4-6 to be able to equip heavy armors, so consider that if you think you'll want them, but they reduce your movement range too.

You want 4, 8, or 10 intelligence, those are the breakpoints for getting extra skill points on level up, and skill points are crucial. Don't make any of your characters less than 4, that's pretty crippling, but also don't put any at 10 because that's just too much investment. I have two with 8 and two with 4.

You will want enough AP for your character's chosen weapon, and you'll just have to look those up. For example many assault rifles take 5 AP to shoot, so you may want to get 10 AP so you can fire twice in a round.

Assault rifles are king, at least in the early game, the best weapon you can get. However, you do want to spread out your weapon usage so you don't run out of ammo types. You might want one AR user, one sniper, one melee and one hangun user, something like that. Later the melee guy could take assault rifles or shotguns.

5 minutes into the game you get Angela Deth, who has Outdoorsman, Brute Force, Hard Ass and Weaponsmithing, so you can avoid all of those at character creation. However, Angela will leave your party forever when you arrive at Titan, so don't rely on her too much. Titan is a good 10 to 20 hours into the game though, or more.

If you save Highpool, you can get a character with Barter, Outdoorsman and Perception. This kinda sucks because Angela already has Outdoorsman and Barter is an awful skill that does barely anything. If you save Ag Center, you can get a character with Computer Science and Surgeon, both of which are greatly appreciated. It's good to have 2 Surgeons on the team anyway in case one goes down.

At Rail Nomad Camp, it's pretty easy to get Ralphy, who comes with high level Toaster Repair and Animal Whisperer. The shotgun hobo there has Lockpicking and Safecracking but both are only level 2 and that's getting far enough into the game that you may want to already have one or both of those on a core party member.

Thanks a lot. Any chance you could direct me to where I can read about character creation in the thread? To be honest a couple of spoilers sounds better than restarting.
I can summarize what you need to know for at least the first couple of dozen hours of the game:

The best combat skills right now are Assault Rifles and Sniper Rifles, by far. Energy Weapons are also good, but only against certain enemies. Handguns and SMGs and the melee skills are serviceable (Blunt is probably the best of these because it's useful against armored enemies, although Brawling looks good if you build an entire character around it). Shotguns are kind of bad, except in some very specific contexts. Same applies to Heavy Weapons, honestly (they chew more ammo than ARs and are less flexible). It helps to have a mixture of weapon types in your starting party to save on ammo, but honestly you could probably take two AR users if you want to blow through combat more easily.

For maximum powergaming, all your characters should have 4/8/10 intelligence, as those are the amounts that correspond to more skill points with each level, and skill points are most of how your character progresses.

You should be planning ahead for skill distribution on your characters. On each one, you probably want one main combat skill, two or three "active" skills that generate XP with their use, and a plan for a complementary combat skill you'll build over time (this is usually a melee option on a long-range fighter, or something that works well against armor if their default isn't so hot at that).

It's worth putting Perception on the first character in your party, as they'll be the easiest one to use to scout ahead and check for traps, alarms, and loot. You'll also want Demolitions, Lockpicking, and Safecracking spread among your four to decent levels, as they all help with loot. The other skills are less essential, or can be picked up via recruitable NPCs (see below).

Early on you'll have to make a decision to save either Highpool or the Ag Center. If you save Highpool, you have a chance to pick up an NPC that has good Perception, Animal Whisper, Sniper Rifles, and Outdoorsman, so you can afford to treat those as less crucial for your main party. If you save the Ag Center, you get an extremely good Surgeon and Computer Science recruit, so you can leave those off your main party (I'd recommend taking a point of Surgeon on somebody, though, as you'll need it before you get the NPC). Surgeon and Field Medic are things your party should always have.

The other thing to consider are the "Ass" trio of conversation skills. You will want to develop all three, but probably on different characters (for XP divvying reasons). On the very first map you will find a high-level recruitable NPC with good Hard Ass, so you can neglect that one on your main party to begin with. She also has Brute Force, Outdoorsman, and Weaponsmithing, so you can put those off for a while, too.

If you rush the Rail Nomad camp at the start of the game you can pick up two NPCs very easily that cover Toaster Repair and Lockpicking/Safecracking, but that is true powergaming and I wouldn't recommend it first time through.

Luck is mostly a dump stat, as far as we know, so you can safely drop it to 1/2/3 on all your characters.

Charisma boosts non-combat XP, so it's worth having some of it on characters who use a lot of non-combat skills, but not at the expense of their overall combat effectiveness. There's also a synergy between Charisma and Leadership, so whoever in your party is taking Leadership (and somebody should) should have higher Charisma. Your party's total Charisma helps with recruiting some of the more exotic NPCs, but I don't think you'll miss out on any of the ones I mentioned above by neglecting it.

In combat terms, melee characters should have lots of Strength. Ranged characters should have lots of Coordination and Awareness, favoring the latter. Awareness in general is probably the most important stat after Intelligence, as it gives you more combat initiative, and taking more turns is usually better than having more action points. For powergaming, I would avoid having anyone with CI 10 or lower if possible, and I would try to have my most effective combat character with CI 15 or higher over time.

That's probably a lot to digest, but the short version is: take Intelligence 4/8/10 on all characters, divide up skills among your party, don't take duplicate skills (and plan ahead for getting some of them on recruitable NPCs), make sure you have the Ass skills covered, favor combat initiative over action points, and do Ag Center first to get what looks like of the best NPCs in the game (I wouldn't know; I saved Highpool).

Durante

different, deeper, bigger, more complex, less accessible, buggier, uglier
More complex and deeper in what way? Unless it changed fundamentally since the August early access I certainly wouldn't say so in terms of combat. Divinity's management of space, terrain, elemental properties, enemy and party state is second to none in terms of tactical options.

More complex and deeper in what way? Unless it changed fundamentally since the August early access I certainly wouldn't say so in terms of combat. Divinity's management of space, terrain, elemental properties, enemy and party state is second to none in terms of tactical options.

So, what you're saying is that I should play D:OS?

Even if it doesn't have shotguns and assault rifles?

Moff

More complex and deeper in what way? Unless it changed fundamentally since the August early access I certainly wouldn't say so in terms of combat. Divinity's management of space, terrain, enemy and party state is second to none in terms of tactical options.

not the combat, but character skills, world design, NPCs, quests, dialogues etc.

combat is certainly where divinity shines, I'd say no game has done round based combat as good as divinity. but in the end, sadly, it was the only thing it really excelled at through the whole game.
because its other strength, world interactivity, was recuded to a minimum aft the first third of the game.

This is true, but Wasteland is more complex and deeper in the way all its story and character parts interlock, and in its sense of reactivity. In general, its non-combat interactions are more interesting. And everything is better written.

I gave up on Divinity because I was bored by everything except the combat. I planned to go back, but here we are months later...

because its other strength, world interactivity, was recuded to a minimum aft the first third of the game.
...and this doesn't help to inspire me, either.

Rad-

Near the end game now and the game is really not balanced well which is a shame. I have changed my opinion about Intelligence, it's not as important as I thought in early levels because eventually you get so many skill points either way.

Stasis

Just started it tonight. I'm about to enter Highpool tunnels so I'm really early in yet, but it's definitely amusing. I did some character creation research prior to starting, though much of that is stuff I had already kinda pre-determined.

Pumping points into weapon skills because I miss way too damn much.

Here's something some people might appreciate knowing.

There is a quest in the second half of the game that requires having three specific junk items, or paying a lot of money instead. You may be completely unable to find at least one of these items by that point in the game, so you may want to keep them on hand.

- badger's nutsack (dropped by Leve L'upe mine honey badgers)
- rabbit's foot (dropped by Ag Center giant rabbits, of which there may be none later on)
- lipstick (can be found on random raiders)

Volodja

Just started it tonight. I'm about to enter Highpool tunnels so I'm really early in yet, but it's definitely amusing. I did some character creation research prior to starting, though much of that is stuff I had already kinda pre-determined.

Pumping points into weapon skills because I miss way too damn much.
The start of the game is pretty rough when it comes to actually hitting things, yeah.

Here's something some people might appreciate knowing.

There is a quest in the second half of the game that requires having three specific junk items, or paying a lot of money instead. You may be completely unable to find at least one of these items by that point in the game, so you may want to keep them on hand.

- badger's nutsack (dropped by Leve L'upe mine honey badgers)
- rabbit's foot (dropped by Ag Center giant rabbits, of which there may be none later on)
- lipstick (can be found on random raiders)
I sell most of my junk at the Ranger Citadel, so I probably have a a few of those things there.
Aside from the rabbits because I didn't save the AG Center and there were no rabbits when I went back to it.

ParityBit

I am sitting on a pool of skill points for all my characters. I am not sure how to distribute them. Should I put them in weapons, or skills they already have, or get new skills that none of my characters have?! Bah

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I am sitting on a pool of skill points for all my characters. I am not sure how to distribute them. Should I put them in weapons, or skills they already have, or get new skills that none of my characters have?! Bah

Depends on your party make up and what they already have. Generally I've been pumping up my weapon skills when they start to show some lag in combat and then only level up my secondary skills as they are needed. It's no use to load up on skills or secondary weapons until you find you need it. Especially if another character already has those skills. Most of my party has a good dozen or two skill points at the ready, they are all around level 16-17 now. With that I will be able to pick up a few secondary skills or secondary weapon skill to a high level if the need arises.

I suggest keeping the pool until you come across skill checks that say "0% impossible" and then increase those skills by a level or two. Otherwise you could be caught with your pants down and no way to open a door or disarm a trap.

Once I got up to like 40 skill points on my characters, I figured I had enough leeway to level weapon skills a little, everyone's at level 4 or 5 now (I'm like level 16).

kase23

5 minutes into the game you get Angela Deth, who has Outdoorsman, Brute Force, Hard Ass and Weaponsmithing, so you can avoid all of those at character creation. However, Angela will leave your party forever when you arrive at Titan, so don't rely on her too much. Titan is a good 10 to 20 hours into the game though, or more.

I wish I had known this sooner :(
I neglected building up hardass and bruteforce skills on my party because of her, I just got into titan tonite and was she left me, I lost ralphie during the railroad nomad questline and the melee miner dude got bugged so its going to be awhile before I can use those skills again

Lime

Is there a way to highlight items? Like the ALT key in Diablo? I've grown kind of tried of pixel hunting like some old Sierra adventure game.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Is there a way to highlight items? Like the ALT key in Diablo? I've grown kind of tried of pixel hunting like some old Sierra adventure game.

Z, though it kind of bugs out if you hold it down and pan around too much. Best way is to move the camera then hit Z selectively and release instead of holding it down and panning around.

Lime

Thanks a lot

Some of my characters just died and something called "mending" happened. I have no idea what it is. Did it use up any of my trauma kits?

Niahak

Thanks a lot

Some of my characters just died and something called "mending" happened. I have no idea what it is. Did it use up any of my trauma kits?

If they're "mending" they're temporarily out of commission but will come back on their own when they regain back to 1 CON. You can use a trauma kit to speed it up and restore a bit more health.

When they're "bleeding out" you have to use surgery on them with a trauma kit within a certain amount of time or they're going to die.

Typically if they're pushed just past 0 CON they'll mend on their own, if they go further they'll bleed out. If they go past a certain amount (negative half their CON?) they'll die outright.

/edit: Oh yeah, whenever they go below 0 CON they'll come back with some kind of temporary penalty (EG stiff joints, lowered speed for an amount of time). Those usually go away on their own after a few minutes. Concussions are the only non-story status effect that doesn't - for that you need to go to a real doctor.

kd-z

11 hours in I'm thinking about restarting. It's not really that I'm having problems with pushing on, but I'm not very fond of the characters I've created. And, even though I should've known better, I've spread my skills out a bit too much, which makes the game, well, uncomfortable to play.

11 hours in, though. Hmm. If I skip reading the dialogue (after all I've already read most of it) it should go much quicker. I'll probably save Ag Center instead of Highpool this time, though will miss Vulture's Cry. What is the party member you recruit in Ag Center good at?

kd-z

Computers & Surgery. Weapon is pistols.
Hmpf. Computers sound useful. Pistols, not so sure, but properly leveled-up I guess every weapon type will rock.

One other thing that makes me want to restart: every veteran Ranger keeps refering to my party as the young ones, but my leader is 31 and another guy is 40 :p

Edit: Oh my, just saw a link to an awesome gallery of custom character portraits someone posted a page or two back. Definitely restarting now :D

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Hmpf. Computers sound useful. Pistols, not so sure, but properly leveled-up I guess every weapon type will rock.

One other thing that makes me want to restart: every veteran Ranger keeps refering to my party as the young ones, but my leader is 31 and another guy is 40 :p

Edit: Oh my, just saw a link to an awesome gallery of custom character portraits someone posted a page or two back. Definitely restarting now :D

I'm thinking of restarting, only barely for similar reasons. My party is pretty great, but knowing how things go and how the companions are situated I feel like I could do a lot better than I am. And I want to try the harder difficulty setting because of that. But at the same time I don't actually have a lot of time to play and feel like I should just use a save editor to respec my team and save the dozen plus hours I've played so far. Most likely I'll just keep on with what I've got since, like I said, I'm doing rather well all things considered. But I definitely have in my mind exactly what I will do differently when I play through again.

AHA-Lambda

11 hours in I'm thinking about restarting. It's not really that I'm having problems with pushing on, but I'm not very fond of the characters I've created. And, even though I should've known better, I've spread my skills out a bit too much, which makes the game, well, uncomfortable to play.

11 hours in, though. Hmm. If I skip reading the dialogue (after all I've already read most of it) it should go much quicker. I'll probably save Ag Center instead of Highpool this time, though will miss Vulture's Cry. What is the party member you recruit in Ag Center good at?

If you're ok with cheating just edit the xml files. I admit I did it for similar reasons :/

I think the game needed a robust tutorial of some sort cod we're seeing this come up in this thread too many times now.

Jaevlar

I've restarted three times now. Finally got my squad right. I think. Choosing skills really really carefully and planning ahead is the key.

And I see some are complaining about the shotguns, I think they're quite useful. My explosives guy uses them, really good when you get into crowded encounters and the enemy gets lined up. Pistols seems to make a decent amount of damage after a while too.

Unfortunately I think I've developed some kind of save scumming syndrome when it comes to weapon smithing. :| I want them parts!

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If you're ok with cheating just edit the xml files. I admit I did it for similar reasons :/

I think the game needed a robust tutorial of some sort cod we're seeing this come up in this thread too many times now.

No need mucking with XML files there is a perfectly good, actually rather great, editor already available that does it for you with a nice interface. Already link here:

Kainazzo

No need mucking with XML files there is a perfectly good, actually rather great, editor already available that does it for you with a nice interface. Already link here:

THANK YOU! I was worrying about restarting too, and I really don't have much time to play. This fixes everything!

kd-z

I'm thinking of restarting, only barely for similar reasons. My party is pretty great, but knowing how things go and how the companions are situated I feel like I could do a lot better than I am. And I want to try the harder difficulty setting because of that. But at the same time I don't actually have a lot of time to play and feel like I should just use a save editor to respec my team and save the dozen plus hours I've played so far. Most likely I'll just keep on with what I've got since, like I said, I'm doing rather well all things considered. But I definitely have in my mind exactly what I will do differently when I play through again.

I'll have a lot of time on my hands for the next four days (before university starts again) so I'm okay with spending the couple hours. I made myself a cup of tea and am about to dive into character creation. It took me an hour last time but was superfun throughout.

But man, the four Ranger limit is breaking my heart. I've so many characters in my head I want to see in my party :<

Sendero

Can you easily reassign custom portraits through the Editor tool?
Because I think you can't alter the appearance.

Certainly would love to change my main's look later, to properly convey the fact that she has seen some shit. Literally.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
THANK YOU! I was worrying about restarting too, and I really don't have much time to play. This fixes everything!

I'd say to do it right:

1: Open the editor and make a note of each characters current XP
2: Reset your character's level to one. If you were previously over level 10, set your XP to 6600.
3: Choose the Attributes you want, adding up to a total of 28 points between them, and then give your character 12 skill points and wiping their current allotments.
4: Use this chart to determine your health. (You may not have to do this if you save and load into the game, which might reset your health to the appropriate amount for your Level & Strength, but I can't say as I've never tested it so I would just do this just in case.)
5: Save in the editor and log into the game. Report in to level up to 10, and use the extra ability point you get then save again and go back into the editor.
6: Replace the 6600 XP with whatever you original max XP was, save and load it up in the game.
7: You should have 12 skillpoints + ((X-1) levels * Intelligence Level) and choose your new skills. Though you'll also have to figure out how many Shrines you visited which each add a skill point. You can determine that by adding up your total number of skill points before editing and then use the ((X-1) * 2/3/4/5) depending on your Int level and subtracting that from your original total and the difference would be how many shrines you visited.

Can you easily reassign custom portraits through the Editor tool?
Because I think you can't alter the appearance.

Certainly would love to change my main's look later, to properly convey the fact that she has seen some shit. Literally.

Yeah you can reassign portraits, I think that's what most people have been using it for.

Top Bottom