• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wasteland 2 |OT| Explode 'em like a Blood Sausage

I just saw this, and I really can't agree, especially having replayed FO1 last year. Like most isometric games, FO1 has aged decently well, but it's still just barely acceptable by modern standards. WL2 looks pretty good most of the time. As Fantastapotamus says, the character models are fugly, but you don't zoom in on them during gameplay.

FO1 is at an obvious (17 year) technical disadvantage, but that doesn't have to mean it can't look better. Wasteland 2 feels like traversing a dinky toy representation of a post apocalyptic wasteland whereas FO1, to me, looks much more like the real thing.

Feel free to disregard this (considering my bias, hehe), but yeah, I'll stand by it.

zkylon

zkylewd
What manner of PC gamer are you? The first thing you check when you get a new game are the graphics options, the second are the keybindings.

I think D:OS was fine, their character models were good enough.

i dunno, i really hated how they had like 10 faces but like 4 of them had face tattoos and if you wanted the face but not the tattoo you were fucked

who the fucks likes face tattoos

Is there any way to open that cave wall in the canyon of the titan without aggroing those DBM guys?\

/edit: nevermind, turned the camera around and figured out you can still trigger the alarm even if you've successfully opened the fridge.

What manner of PC gamer are you? The first thing you check when you get a new game are the graphics options, the second are the keybindings.

I'll be honest... I've never been officially certified as a PC gamer.

About the Wasteland 2 avatar/portrait dichotomy, at least they aren't removing portraits entirely (like Dragon Age: Inquisition is doing). It's an odd move for Bioware because DAO had such a simple solution - with avatar-based portraits you could make on your own. In the end, I guess consistent avatars and portraits are really hard to do.

Man, that stretch from the prison all the way up to Damonta is cool but also kinda annoying. Been through something like three zones now and there's quests spanning across all of them making me feel like I'm leaving unfinished business everywhere (though I suppose that's also a plus).

Also trying to see how far I can go with Monks vs DBM before I actually have to choose.
Feel like I messed up a bit at the temple entrance by refusing to get them more fucking sludge, but I knew they wouldn't blow up that stupid nuke. Anyone else did it like that and agreed to go find the other nuke north of Damonta?

Zabojnik

Two potential recruits showed up in
Santa Fe. The priest and the crazy dude, lol. They both seem way more interesting than, well, Pistol Pete at least. I kinda like Lexcanium, but he's not the greatest fighter. If I let him go and take the two newcomers, I'll basically have every weapon type covered. I'm tempted.

Niahak

I started over since I didn't like my team-build and some of the ways quests were going, and I just finished the Rail Nomads area.

(Spoilers following are for resolving the Rail Nomad conflict)
I'm curious if you can
make peace between both sides if the Atchison chief's daughter dies.
The first time I played, that happened and I managed to
convince Casey James to make peace,
but I don't think I had any of the conversation-oriented skill highlights I did when
she was still alive and I had to negotiate her release (she runs off if you visit Atchison camp before exiting Rail Nomads with Ralphy, and ends up captured).
It's possible I'm just misremembering and I didn't have the right level of skill to convince
Casey James to share the Spike
. I've seen other people say they had to
manually type in "Both" to convince him of that, but I did it with a couple skill checks

I'd also like to know (unrelated to the spoiler above) where the guy with the general store (with the stolen goods) is located. Rail Nomads area is a bit confusing, I remember hearing it was in that area though.

This time around I've got one character with 10 INT, one with 8, two with 4 and it's been much easier to hold onto extra skill points in case I come across a challenge that needs more. It helps to have Rose around, too.

Finalow

this game has flaws, most of them don't bother me as much as someone in here and I'm enjoying this game quite a lot, even now in LA. not sure what were the problems there before the patch but so far it's all working fine. I'm liking the radio trasmissions in LA, I even got to hear a nice song.

*companions, did anyone use any LA companion? I haven't recruited one yet (the ones I have are pretty solid and I probably won't change them at all) and I can't find a complete list.
in any case, Lexcanium is so fucking good with 10 points in brawling. crit every hit, 3 ap for 100+ damage. gg

One instance in the game that could possibly make you stuck because lack of proper skills is
in Rodia's Radio Tower if you messed up the quest order, rendering Vergil unable to fix the tower for you. Well, if no one in your party have high enough mechanical repair skill, you're screwed. But I don't know if there is any other way to fix it like possibly spare part in other part of California
I thought that was optional. I did it anyway but the game, iirc, tells you that you don't need to place it there to actually move on.

male models were pretty fugly, not as much as in this game but still not good enough for me. female ones were ok. also, the game has no good looking gear. I haven't find a piece of equipment that looked good on my characters.

but yeah,
this game does look good. characters models don't but I don't care too much about that, I do however care about portraits and they literally used something like 15 portraits for 50+ npcs? Not to mention that they don't resemble the npcs at all.

Finalow

Man, that stretch from the prison all the way up to Damonta is cool but also kinda annoying. Been through something like three zones now and there's quests spanning across all of them making me feel like I'm leaving unfinished business everywhere (though I suppose that's also a plus).

Also trying to see how far I can go with Monks vs DBM before I actually have to choose.
Feel like I messed up a bit at the temple entrance by refusing to get them more fucking sludge, but I knew they wouldn't blow up that stupid nuke. Anyone else did it like that and agreed to go find the other nuke north of Damonta?
even if you did nothing but story missions there really isn't too much "optional" stuff to do during that part. when you reach LA you'll go crazy if you find that annoying, lol.
-
I gave the Monks
3 more sludge, nothing really happens, you just get in.
for the other thing,
I'm pretty sure that you need to go north of Damonta and disable the nuke in ANY case.

huxley00

Ok, I finally hopped in a few days ago after the big patch.

It really took me a few days to like the game, the interface is clunky, the character portraits and models look really really bad up close and the game seemed too systematically transparent. I was annoyed as I was expecting to have a more Fallout-like experience, tagged skills, lots of dialogue options with high Charisma etc.

I started playing on the Ranger difficulty and found the game to be quite tough. Early on, it seems that a lot of combat really just comes down to luck. I lost many battles, reloaded and really just had to wait until I chanced into the outcomes I wanted.

I was kind of bored to be honest, I love Fallout, probably my top series...then I just came to the realization that this isn't Fallout. They have their own art choices, character direction and game direction. After I came to that conclusion, I've been having a much better time. The dialogue is great, voice acting is very good and the story is quite interesting.

Its not a great game mechanics wise, but the story completely makes up for all those flaws. This is the prime example of a game story trumping graphics or even gameplay. Well done gents, I'll be interested to see where this goes in the future.

Paches

I don't know if I should be disturbed or excited that my 2 favorites games of the year were Kickstartered (Divinity:OS and Wasteland 2). Also got high hopes for Planescape and Pillars next year too.

I don't know if I should be disturbed or excited that my 2 favorites games of the year were Kickstartered (Divinity:OS and Wasteland 2). Also got high hopes for Planescape and Pillars next year too.

It's at least proof that the system has merit. These games would not have been made without kickstarter and the devs made good on their promise.

even if you did nothing but story missions there really isn't too much "optional" stuff to do during that part. when you reach LA you'll go crazy if you find that annoying, lol.
-
I gave the Monks
3 more sludge, nothing really happens, you just get in.
for the other thing,
I'm pretty sure that you need to go north of Damonta and disable the nuke in ANY case.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping. Now I just need to figure out
what I'm going to do with that nuke. Seems a shame to just disable it and pissing off both the DBM and the Monks.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Do vendor's prices differ depending on location? I just got 50% discount in Rail Nomads Camp but I wonder if I should save and get back to the Citadel and sell my loot there.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Got my CE in the mail today

fzsrf.jpg

7mr2g.jpg

epmode

It's at least proof that the system has merit. These games would not have been made without kickstarter and the devs made good on their promise.

Kickstarter is responsible for Dreamfall Chapters which is looking like one of the best adventure games in years (that's not saying much, but still!).

Zabojnik

Guise, where can I buy .50 cal ammo? I'm pretty sure I came across a vendor that had it, but I can't for the love of me remember where.

EDIT: Nevermind, found it.

Dr.Acula

Banned
One instance in the game that could possibly make you stuck because lack of proper skills is
in Rodia's Radio Tower if you messed up the quest order, rendering Vergil unable to fix the tower for you. Well, if no one in your party have high enough mechanical repair skill, you're screwed. But I don't know if there is any other way to fix it like possibly spare part in other part of California

Woah, woah, woah. There's an NPC that's supposed to perform that repair action? I've spoken to them and they aren't doing anything. What gives?

Kinthalis

Banned
I found the night terror!

Creepy little fellow, but somehow, still cute.

He saved my bacon when taking on the giant robots in the abandoned railyard near the prison. HE doesn't attack, but he's got more hitpoints than god.

What will he eat? He keeps asking for candy, but I don't have anything like that.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
What will he eat? He keeps asking for candy, but I don't have anything like that.
Candy does exist, but you have a while to find it. You can also give him body parts (e.g. junk you get from killing people, animals). I have no idea if the game makes any sort of difference between candy or parts. I gave him bodies my first time through. Next time, which will likely be sometime at the end of next year, I'll try candy.

Zabojnik

Went to
Whittier
and for the first time since I started playing (on normal) and my party got totally destroyed by
the CotC Pulse Gunners / Snipers combo.
This is basically the first time I had to actively think about where to position my characters, get them to cover, plan moves ahead, worry about healing / ressing and so on. 70 hours into the game. It's a shaping into a really interesting and challenging fight, which just goes to show that the elements for good combat were always there, it was just a matter or rather poorly balanced encounters.

Sothpaw

I had to cave and turn down to normal difficulty when I first started out in LA. My guys were just taking way too much damage. Normally I would just push through it but fuck I'm an old man with a family and I just don't have the time anymore sadly.

Really enjoy the game so far though. Just finished
Rodia
last night.

Finalow

He does make for a pretty good bullet sponge.
does he'? DOES HE

I mean, he has 8k hp, sure, great.

well, no. unless I'm missing something, he never gets hit. he stays like 10m away from the rest of the party in almost every battle, doesn't move at all and enemies don't ever target him.

Finalow

LA, lol. I finish one mission and I get 5 more from the radio, I think I still have something like 20 places to discover with someone to rescue after being there for more than 10 hours.

you can't post that and don't show what's inside, come on man.

Deraj

does he'? DOES HE

I mean, he has 8k hp, sure, great.

well, no. unless I'm missing something, he never gets hit. he stays like 10m away from the rest of the party in almost every battle, doesn't move at all and enemies don't ever target him.

I think the enemies prioritize your team first. So I start an encounter then move everybody away from the green guy.. keeping him between team members and the enemy.

Finalow

I think the enemies prioritize your team first. So I start an encounter then move everybody away from the green guy.. keeping him between team members and the enemy.
in order to keep him between party members and the enemy I'd have to move closer to him, since he is always far behind.
I never bothered since I never had problems to tank enemy's fire so far but I guess it might work that way.

Man, this game kicks ass. Just arrived in LA, still enjoying it immensely. Hope to find some better weapons soon though. Need a new pistol primarily. My half-robot guy is still rocking an old .38

Asparagus

Got mine as well, and it requires steam? There was no mention of this when the game was first kickstarted. Maybe I was foolish to think a physical release would install on it's own but I'm pretty disappointed. Checking the Kickstarter page there's mention of getting a true drm free physical release on September 4th if you contact them but since I didn't follow the updates I missed it.

you can't post that and don't show what's inside, come on man.

It's quite nice.

KUovD57.jpg

BXU7XGN.jpg

VdeusrL.jpg

TMB7BXM.jpg

z1ggy

Finished the game twice and i think i'm spoiled. Can´t play anything else.

Tho the final battle could have been better, way better

Sothpaw

Finished the game twice and i think i'm spoiled. Can´t play anything else.

Tho the final battle could have been better, way better

Last night I read that even with patch 2, Hollywood still has a ton of problems. I was going to ask if I should wait until patch three to get through Hollywood (I just upgraded my rad suits). But if you have already finished the game twice I guess I can get through it.

Zabojnik

I'm in Hollywood right now. Fingers crossed. I already waited a week for the first patch to hit after finishing the first half, I'm not waiting again.

Lol @ the price of condoms.

Sothpaw

I'm in Hollywood right now. Fingers crossed. I already waited a week for the first patch to hit after finishing the first half, I'm not waiting again.

Lol @ the price of condoms.

Hah yea I was able to wait because I played through the final Dark Souls 2 DLC and Borderlands TPS, but now it's time to get back to WL2.

Finalow

I think I missed some Hollywood quests, where is
the chamber of commerce and the whole Veronica thing?
I just went on and
killed McDade becuase he turned hostile for some reason and I didn't realize that he was an importan npc until later, so in the end Jones invaded Hollywood.
now the weapon shop is fucking closed, it had some pretty good stuff. GG game

also the loading times make me rage.

Top Bottom