• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch an Uber Passenger Beat Up His Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Watch an Uber Passenger Beat Up His Driver Because Everything Is Terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtJVbsHIj9o

1501384771189127568.png

This is some hardcore shit-thank God the driver had his dashcam turned backwards.

Uber driver Edward Caban was politely trying to get directions to his passenger’s destination, but the passenger was too drunk to sit up straight. Caban then pulled into a parking lot and politely told the passenger that he was too drunk to give him directions so he had to end the trip. The drunk passenger was confused at first and then became violent, beating the driver with his fists. The driver magically produced some pepper spray and blasted the passenger, who would soon receive a free ride in a police car.

Caban uploaded his dashcam footage soon after the incident. What’s unnerving about the situation—beyond the violence, of course—is the fact that this apparently happens kind of a lot with Uber drivers. Caban, for one, clearly sensed trouble because he spun the dash cam around just before ending the trip. He said in the video’s caption that he wanted to show people what Uber drivers had to deal with.

Here is another report detailing what happened after this:

http://abc7.com/1063029/

COSTA MESA, Calif. (KABC) -- The vicious attack of an Uber driver in Costa Mesa was all caught on camera, and the man behind the wheel spoke to ABC7 Eyewitness News.

Costa Mesa police said they responded to Newport Boulevard after receiving a report of an attack on Friday just before 8 p.m.
"I didn't think something like this would happen this early in the night. That's why I stopped driving 2 a.m. shifts, for this very reason," Caban said.

Caban is now looking for a new job because he said he doesn't feel safe driving for Uber.

Because of past issues with passengers, Caban said he had the camera mounted in his vehicle, but he said this was the first time a customer had ever attacked him.

The man police said is responsible for the attack, 32-year-old Benjamin Golden of Newport Beach, was arrested at the scene.

He was charged with assault on a cab driver and public intoxication, both are misdemeanors.

chubbyburrito

Neo Member
I was in an UBER car once with a man who said he was assaulted by a drunk female passenger who apparently, after slapping him up, threw up all over his car. She was fined $300 for the damages she caused. This sucks though, poor driver. People are assholes.

There's a reason a lot of late night cabs have a clear plastic divider between the driver and passengers. There are some real cunts out there.

DJ_Lae

At least the passenger was considerate enough to open his door and turn on the overhead light so we could get a good look at his face.

I had a super drunk guy in my car who passed out in between directions. I got him home ok but never thought in my mind something like this would happen.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I get stories from Uber drivers about people who try to cram like 8 riders in a sedan, and when they turn them down the would be passengers often get very upset. I've never had one tell me about a violent interaction though. Usually they'll just cuss the driver as they drive away.

Basically, people are terrible.

My uncle (used to drive a cab) told me some crazy stories too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What’s unnerving about the situation—beyond the violence, of course—is the fact that this apparently happens kind of a lot with Uber drivers.

I'm not sure this is true. I believe it does happen, and obviously drivers should be safe and shouldn't have to tolerate this, but almost by definition it doesn't happen a lot. Anyone doing this will only do it once--drivers can directly report physical assault, which will essentially bar the person from ordering an Uber again (as the article itself notes)

Again, cab driver safety is important and not something Uber takes seriously enough, but also I think small crime fearmongering is a staple of local news and that kinda feels like the vibe here given this totally unsupported claim.

Viewt

Damn, that fucking sucks. Glad that asshole got maced and arrested - what a prick.

Most of the Uber drivers I talk to tell me they rarely, if ever, drive on weekend nights anymore. Yes, your can make a lot more money, but you have to deal with terrible people, and for a lot of them, it's just not worth the hassle.

Glin

The cabdriver could have prevent it by declining the ride beforehand. Since the client is way too drunk and didnt want to tell the destination address..

Do Uber drivers get a course of handling difficult customers?

Maybe he asked to go South of the Border.

"That's why I stopped driving 2 a.m. shifts, for this very reason," Caban said.

This is one of those rare instances where Taco Bell is angry that you aren't operating past 2 a.m.

Viewt

It's amazing that this dude is a Marketing Manager for Taco Bell. Like, can it get any better on the douche scale?

cruets

i was thinking of driving for uber for some extra cash, this is giving me 2nd thoughts. any gaffers drive for uber?

Viewt

i was thinking of driving for uber for some extra cash, this is giving me 2nd thoughts. any gaffers drive for uber?

I take Uber fairly often, and I've had dozens of conversations with both new and veteran drivers. They all have pretty much the same advice - drive in the hipster neighborhoods during the morning and afternoon rush and you'll have the best experience possible. You'll pretty much just be driving professionals to work and you can sidestep all of the bullshit drunken partiers.

Every time I get into an Uber after 2AM, the driver looks like he's either about to enter, or he's just left hell itself.

I'd say getting piss drunk at 32 to the point where you assault cab drivers is a pretty big issue for ANYONE, regardless of age.

"to the point where you assault" is the problem. It takes a very specific kind of asshole to assault anybody at all, alcohol or not.

Dalek

Guy is a executive level employee at Taco Bell in his 30s, and is getting too piss drunk to get home, wearing his baseball hat backwards and assaulting a cab driver. What a loser. Grow up, dude.

Mortemis

Banned
Yeah actually since this blew up on Twitter... the guy has deleted his LinkedIn, Twitter, and there's a full out internet mob after his blood right now.

Poor guy. I hate this new age of being globally connected, where assholes face consequences for their actions. :(

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Uber cars should have a divider to separate them from the passenger, just like regular taxis.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Even when I was 21 and drinking heavy in college the idea of slapping around a cab driver over nothing would never even cross my mind. Alcohol isn't an excuse to behave like a fucking caveman.

Uber cars should have a divider to separate them from the passenger, just like regular taxis.

Some company could probably do pretty well creating temporary barriers for services like Uber, Lyft, etc., where you drive your own car.

FWIW, also, not all taxis have those separators either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom