• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch an Uber Passenger Beat Up His Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Fine with all of that except the backwards hat inclusion.

no-sun-hat-1.jpg

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Have I been using uber wrong? I thought you enter the destination in the app before being picked up? Why the need to provide directions?

I can't believe someone would assault a driver like this, let alone it being common. Disgusting.

FairyD

This has happened quite a few times with my dad when he was a cab driver. He kept a taser for a while back in the mid 90s if someone was getting out of hand.

Surely Uber can make a divider they can clip/screw in and take out easily? The company is worth an insane amount of money, if they want to be serious they should invest in driver safety.
Uber, Lyft, Postmates, etc give no fucks about their "employees." That's why they're not paid minimum wage and the companies fight so hard to label them independent contractors. It's classic pyramid shit where the people on top make the money off exploiting the public to work for them.

Gotta call bullshit on misdemeanor assault. That type of unprovoked attack should be a felony.

And I really hope he gets fired from Taco Bell. Can't be a marketing manager then do disgusting shit like this...

Uber, Lyft, Postmates, etc give no fucks about their "employees." That's why they're not paid minimum wage and the companies fight so hard to label them independent contractors. It's classic pyramid shit where the people on top make the money off exploiting the public to work for them.

Yup. Just buying time until they can automate them out of business.

Surely Uber can make a divider they can clip/screw in and take out easily? The company is worth an insane amount of money, if they want to be serious they should invest in driver safety.

They'll be a fully automated fleet in 15 years...

johnny-cab-total-recall.png

Have I been using uber wrong? I thought you enter the destination in the app before being picked up? Why the need to provide directions?

Yeah normally you do... guy couldn't sit up straight so he probably couldn't even enter that in. Also, there could be other factors like maybe his phone died or no service or something. They don't share where you're going with the driver until your ride has started.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Yeah normally you do... guy couldn't sit up straight so he probably couldn't even enter that in. Also, there could be other factors like maybe his phone died or no service or something. They don't share where you're going with the driver until your ride has started.

Ah, that makes sense. Didn't know that. May explain how I accidentally pocket dialed an uber that tried to pick me up 20 miles away and I got hit with a $10 charge.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Uber Defense Force reporting for duty:

1. Happens more with cab drivers, and many go unreported either because it's not worth the hassle or the cab driver is himself avoiding interaction with the law (borrowed brothers' medallion etc)
2. Both driver and passenger in an Uber transaction are already pre-identified and there's a GPS record of everything that took place in terms of the journey.
3. The above fact is likely going to significantly reduce "dine and dash" problems for drivers.
4. Having the Uber driver's identity helps reduce the reverse problem - rapist/murderer cabbies, which is also a thing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Uber Defense Force reporting for duty:

1. Happens more with cab drivers, and many go unreported either because it's not worth the hassle or the cab driver is himself avoiding interaction with the law (borrowed brothers' medallion etc)
2. Both driver and passenger in an Uber transaction are already pre-identified and there's a GPS record of everything that took place in terms of the journey.
3. The above fact is likely going to significantly reduce "dine and dash" problems for drivers.
4. Having the Uber driver's identity helps reduce the reverse problem - rapist/murderer cabbies, which is also a thing.

Every cab I've ever been in has a plastic divider between the cabbie and the passengers.

Even when I was 21 and drinking heavy in college the idea of slapping around a cab driver over nothing would never even cross my mind. Alcohol isn't an excuse to behave like a fucking caveman.

Fact of the matter is, being intoxicated on alcohol puts you out of your normal state of mind, and often has people do things that they might not do under normal circumstances. The solution to this would just be to drink more responsibly, whatever that might mean for any particular person.

Romez

Judge this douche based on what he did not what he's wearing, his job or where he's from. That's stupid.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Sadly, this isn't too shocking. Driving a taxi in a big city has been a pretty dangerous job for awhile. For decades there have been lots of cases of drivers getting robbed and killed. So it was only a matter of time before Uber drivers had to deal with the same stuff. Not to mention they deal with a lot of drunk people and the late hours, gotta be careful out there.

nilbog21

Banned
I'm really glad this guy was not only arrested but ended his own career - Way to fuck up your entire life mate!

The cabdriver could have prevent it by declining the ride beforehand. Since the client is way too drunk and didnt want to tell the destination address..

Do Uber drivers get a course of handling difficult customers?

Let's no go down the victim blaming route.

nilbog21

Banned
The cabdriver could have prevent it by declining the ride beforehand. Since the client is way too drunk and didnt want to tell the destination address..

Do Uber drivers get a course of handling difficult customers?

You realize that most people get Uber's because they are too drunk to drive themselves? Either way, your post is akin to "She could have prevented getting raped if she didn't wear a skirt, he could have prevented getting shot by police if he looked less thuggish" etc, aka load of nonsense

Zoe

What happens if the drunk's phone never activates the ride? That'd sounds really dangerous for the driver to just start driving.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
What happens if the drunk's phone never activates the ride? That'd sounds really dangerous for the driver to just start driving.
The riders phone doesn't activate the ride at any time. It just makes a request. Once the request is successfully picked up, that's it. You could throw your phone in a river at that point.

sappyday

I can't believe someone would assault a driver like this, let alone it being common. Disgusting.

Sometime people don't know the address of a location but know how to get there.

If I had to Uber someone, I'd try to install some kind of partition between the front and rear seating. Such a vulnerable position to be, sitting in front of strangers like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom