• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch an Uber Passenger Beat Up His Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

To be expected.

103131645-Untitled-5.530x298.jpg

According to his bio, Golden was a "seven-year veteran of Yum Brands," the parent company of Taco Bell. Golden was also described in the bio as "a southerner who enjoys mint juleps and horse racing."

How much of a salary did this guy piss away? What kind of figures we talking about?

That drunk at 8 pm he was on some bender for some reason. Like they say though, play stupid games win stupid prizes.

How much of a salary did this guy piss away? What kind of figures we talking about?

That drunk at 8 pm he was on some bender for some reason. Like they say though, play stupid games win stupid prizes.
I'm curious too, executive sounds good but he's also in charge of the mobile division, so he may have been in charge of a bunch of interns.

The school I went to for undergrad had a service where frat/ sorority members would give free rides within a few-mile radius of campus on Friday and Saturday nights so that people wouldn't drive drunk.

Even though the whole point was safety they'd deny you a ride if you were unruly. I used to fuck with them, I'd do stuff like lean over to a friend and whisper loudly "Check this, out I'm going to pretend to "accidentally" open my door, they're gonna freak out" while we were on the highway. Every time they'd quote the rules that stated they could leave us anywhere if we were drunk beyond control.

Obviously this isn't the same thing, but to everyone saying it's messed up to leave a drunk person somewhere, its unreasonable to ask a stranger to take responsibility for essentially a 180lb potentially violent child.

PSYGN

I like the part where the driver said that the trip has ended and the passenger asks if he can start a new trip.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Every cab I've ever been in has a plastic divider between the cabbie and the passengers.

Scratched my head for three hours now and still have no idea what to make of this unless we're saying everyone should go about their business in a Perspex cube.

Scratched my head for three hours now and still have no idea what to make of this unless we're saying everyone should go about their business in a Perspex cube.
Well for one thing the drivers head would have been protected from taking random violent slaps and punches. I know in Boston the Red cabs have always had them and they have often helped the drivers lock in belligerent violent passengers and drive them to nearby police stations.

wow this made it on Nor-Cals KCAL news station, I wonder how much the driver got paid. The YouTube comment section was full of media ppl asking him to contact them.

It doesn't give the driver the ability to determine where you live - it gives you that button as a passenger. If you're too drunk to slur out where you live, I'm not sure how anybody should be able to magically help you at that point.

Step 1: Ask the passenger for his phone.
Step 2: Press the HOME button.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

Faiz

So apparently my sister knows this guy from college - they were buddies and he was in her ex's frat. She said this kind of behavior is completely different from the guy she knew. I hope he gets help.

Salmonax

Step 1: Ask the passenger for his phone.
Step 2: Press the HOME button.
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit.

I guess if a driver wanted to try to talk someone who's blackout drunk into unlocking and then giving him their phone, that could work. I imagine most would lack the patience.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Well for one thing the drivers head would have been protected from taking random violent slaps and punches. I know in Boston the Red cabs have always had them and they have often helped the drivers lock in belligerent violent passengers and drive them to nearby police stations.

I understand what you're saying, but one of the reasons Uber has succeeded (and ironically this exception helps prove the rule) is that people don't like riding in disgusting yellow cabs with perspex dividers and money drawers, with shady drivers, shady passengers and "broken" meters dictating the tone and manner of the experience.

Iorv3th

Do you have to give consent to record someone that is on/in your private property? Like if I have a security camera in my house and someone comes in, invited or not it records them and what they say. I am pretty sure I am allowed to do that. However posting it on youtube might be different.

I don't know about California but I think in Texas inside of your car is kind of considered the same as your house, your own private property.

jotun?

California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation
So throw out the "conversation" part of it, and you're left with just the violence. I'm sure that will help him.

The law also seems to hinge on whether the person being recorded would have a reasonable expectation of the conversation to be confidential. That might be hard to argue when the camera was right there in plain view.

Syriel

Because the Uber driver made him look bad?

EDIT:
There's also that issue about recording sound without consent though.

Only if there was an expectation of privacy. It's perfectly legal, for example, for an informant to record you in your home if you invite them inside.

United States v Wahchumwah said:
We are persuaded that it is not “constitutionally relevant” whether an informant utilizes an audio-video device, rather than merely an audio recording device, to record activities occurring inside a home, into which the informer has been invited. When Wahchumwah invited Agent Romero into his home, he forfeited his expectation of privacy as to those areas that were “knowingly expose[d] to” Agent Romero. Wahchumwah cannot reasonably argue that the recording violates his legitimate privacy interests when it reveals no more than what was already visible to the agent.

https://www.eff.org/files/filenode/wahchumwah_opinion.pdf

And given that there was a visible dash cam, it's difficult to claim that the recording was secretly made.

This was a camera that was in plain view, not a hidden camera of any sort, so there is no expectation of privacy. If you don't want to be recorded by a camera you don't have the legal right to make the person stop. You do have the legal right to leave.

Plus, as others have pointed out, even if it did apply, it would only apply to the audio. Video would still be allowed.

Benjamin Golden is scum for suing the guy he assaulted while drunk.

BigDug13

If he was under the employ and on the clock for Uber at the time, isn't it kinda on them to help him defend this action?

ElRenoRaven

Yup. Scumbag showing why he's still a scumbag. As pointed out the camera was right there in plain sight. You can't miss it. Hence he knew he was being recorded.

Props to that driver for thinking intelligently under fire. He took like 5 hits to the head before he could grab and deploy the spray in that shitheels face. Its not easy to keep your wits about you if you get ambushed and mugged like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom