• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Yeah, it got downgraded. We got it now..don't need anyone else mentioning it. Let's discuss the game. I bet half the people bitching in this thread aren't even purchasing the game.

What if they all wanted to get their hands on this game very badly since the reveals in E3 2012, E3 2013, but now they are all disappointed in seeing the significant downgrade in certain specific technical aspects of Watch_Dogs?

Fuck it, just bought a Uplay key off ebay for 33€. Invasion stuff just looks too awesome, even if the game sucks. (Which I hope it doesn't).

You have to remember that the team making this game is an international one. The choice of 'a' or 'an' before helicopter is a matter of pronunciation. I imagine the person that wrote that text speaks differently than you and I.

An English game being put out in English, not French-Canadian. You pay people to check these things and localise.
Guess they cut the budget on that? Its a (small) mistake not a 'preference'

dreamfall

Also I'd like to give my two cents on the driving, since I've had time to get used to it. I don't see many problems with it, and I even like it. I think it'll be a matter of taste just like any other openworld game, and it does take some getting used to. Some people will love the more arcadey feel, others won't. Arcadey doesn't mean weightless in this regard, as the cars smash and drift around satisfactorily. In this respect, it mostly just means that the cars take a bit more punishment. J turns are fairly easy depending on the cars your driving, you can overturn and spin out, some cars handle better than other cars, etc. You definitely have to brake before turns or you will end up crashing into shit and missing your turn. Generally I'd say that it's similar to Driver: San Fran. Way better than Sleeping Dogs and Saints Row driving, but I still like GTA 4 and 5's driving the best. This comes with one caveat though; motorcycles in this game are amazing and better than in every open world game I've played, and are pretty much all I drive. It's the perfect vigilante. You can cut through traffic easily and without fear of murdering a bunch of pedestrians while you're at it. You can cut through raised bollards as the cops get wrecked right behind you, etc. They are very maneuverable and just feel right, I guess.

Gaz, your impressions are great.

This eased my concerns dramatically, after all the GTA racing. I'm feeling good about Tuesday! I can't wait to just drift about and hack into people's lives!

I'm in the at 5 hours and right now I'm enjoying this game more than GtaV (the first 5h of GtaV of course).

First hours of Ubi games are usually good, then stuff gets boring fast. (*Cough Far Cry 3...)

Anyway, GTAV beginning is amazing, so if what you're saying is true, that's awesome.

hbkdx12

Seen a lot of ps4 streams. Totally pumped for this

Thinking im gonna turn the online hacking stuff off at the start so it doesnt become too much if a distraction but i love how seamless it is

Love that there are a ton of side activities and i love that there are tons and tons of skill trees. Lots of carrots on sticks to chase after it seems

The hacking looks awesome in that it grants a lot of versatility in how you go about things.

It seems like theres a lot of good to be said about this game. Its a shame the detractors get so caught up on downgraded graphics from 2 yrs ago

HowZatOZ

Banned
Probably LTTP on this, but it seems like the PC version is out there in the wild. Anyone with impressions yet?

Lot of fun. I was able to score a copy but I won't say too much as AG is still under NDA and I'd like to respect Ubisoft. City feels alive, missions feel fun and everything just works really well. Hacking is really satisfactory, especially traffic lights and blacking the city out.

One thing I'm enjoying above all else is just walking down streets and soaking in the atmosphere, it is mind-blowingly awesome. So much interaction with NPC's through their own dialogue and yours.

hbkdx12

First hours of Ubi games are usually good, then stuff gets boring fast. (*Cough Far Cry 3...)

Anyway, GTAV beginning is amazing, so if what you're saying is true, that's awesome.
Far cry didnt give u anything to do besides missions and hunting/crafting basically

Watch dog seems like it has far more depth and things to keep u occupied for far longer

QaaQer

What if they all wanted to get their hands on this game very badly since the reveals in E3 2012, E3 2013, but now they are all disappointed in seeing the significant downgrade in certain specific technical aspects of Watch_Dogs?

Then they should start a support group thread "Why Ubisoft, Why do you hurt me so?" or something. OTs are for people playing the game, or soon to be playing, or legit interested in playing the game. All else is threadshit.

IcyEyes

GtaV is pretty amazing and of course the beginning is really, really good. I'm not saying the first 5h of WD are objectively better than GtaV, it's my personal opinion. I mean, interacting with the "city" during a chase it's a pretty nice feature for example.

I mean, looks like you can interact more with the city, people etc.

During a mission I just started to hack some surveillance cameras and some armed cops came to me and arrested me. I saw the entire scene through the camera. It was pretty fun to see!

Well, i really hope this game will hold in the next hours, right now it's very, very good.

Dawg

I like driving veru much. Once you get the hang of it, you feel like a pro during chases. I believe the driver team helped them with this bit and it's noticeable.

Another fun tidbit: I spent like four hours doing stuff besides the campaign. It's very easy to forget about the story and get lost in the many city activities.

ttech10

I heard through the grapevine that the PC release most people are playing is not final and doesn't include ultra textures.

The grapevine is wrong. People with pirated copies have shown a difference between High and Ultra textures and people have downloaded the game from official channels. Why would Uplay host the non-final version? Besides, there's nothing wrong with the textures in the first place. That lighting, though.

Most importantly though, it's fun despite lighting or jaggies and whatever else graphical thing there is for people to complain about.

Kelsey

Banned
An English game being put out in English, not French-Canadian. You pay people to check these things and localise.
Guess they cut the budget on that? Its a (small) mistake not a 'preference'

It's as much a mistake as EA Canada releasing sports games using words like 'colour' or 'defence'. The grammatical rule isn't that 'a' always precedes a word beginning with 'h'.

Prentice Hall Reference Guide to Grammar and Usage says that “a” is used before consonant SOUNDS, not just consonants. Use “an” when the word following it starts with a vowel or an unsounded “h.”

There are English speaking individuals that pronounce words like 'herb' and 'helicopter' very differently.

pixlexic

Banned
been watching the xbone clips in the store. The frame rate looks solid which was something I was concerned about. But it looks a lot like GTA to me. Meaning most cli[s are just people messing around.

Trace

Banned
I like driving veru much. Once you get the hang of it, you feel like a pro during chases. I believe the driver team helped them with this bit and it's noticeable.

Another fun tidbit: I spent like four hours doing stuff besides the campaign. It's very easy to forget about the story and get lost in the many city activities.

Man I wish this was out :( I don't want to pirate it and Origin is only going to unlock it on Tuesday, but having to read about everyone else playing the game is harsh.

Jedi2016

It's as much a mistake as EA Canada releasing sports games using words like 'colour' or 'defence'. The grammatical rule isn't that 'a' always precedes a word beginning with 'h'.

There are English speaking individuals that pronounce words like 'herb' and 'helicopter' very differently.
Thank you. Yes, it's not so much a "mistake" as a quirk of localization for 'Murica.

So, I guess the question is how the game itself is. The VR stuff doesn't really interest me. Is there actually much to do outside of the main story? Or is it a bunch of worthless collectibles that have you running all over creation for no actual benefit other than the achievement points? (i.e. Assassin's Creed games).

ttech10

been watching the xbone clips in the store. The frame rate looks solid which was something I was concerned about. But it looks a lot like GTA to me. Meaning most clips are just people messing around.

And there's the joy of watching other people play video games. I had a roommate in college who tried to play old Hitman games like a shooter and complained when things didn't work out that well.

Kelsey

Banned
been watching the xbone clips in the store. The frame rate looks solid which was something I was concerned about. But it looks a lot like GTA to me. Meaning most cli[s are just people messing around.

Most of the 3+ minute clips are people invading other people's games or being invaded themselves. Those videos are a lot of fun to watch.

Kinda OT, but I usually wait for a Steam sale to pick up games to save money, and playing it when everyone else is just isn't important to me.

However, I'm really looking forward to getting this day one as I plan to play online... which I never do (aside from Minecraft) because I have the reflexes of someone in their 50's. In other words, I now suck.

But the hunting and hiding game mode thingy sounds like something I could handle, so it will be cool to actually play online after years of fearing those damn tea bagging 14 year olds.

Don't teabag me, bro.

M.Steiner

Multiplayer has been surprisingly great from the bits I've played of it. To say I wasn't even interested in it originally too...but it all seems very well implemented and the game modes fit in really well with the type of game it is. Will be better come Tuesday when there are more people playing but it has been a lot of fun and actually quite refreshing. I do need a bit of practice though heh.

I went in expecting it to be Person of Interest meets GTA/Assassin's Creed (and parts of it still are) but I'd agree with some of the comparisons already made in that as far as the gameplay goes, it probably feels much closer to Splinter Cell. Seems to be quite a bit of stealth in there which I wasn't expecting but has been a welcome surprise.

Will play some more tomorrow but so far so good, have really enjoyed what I've played of it so far. Only played Act I of the story so will have to see how that progresses but there's lots of stuff to do outside of the main missions, it's very easily to get broken off from those and lose yourself in the world and other activities.

Hearing you guys say it's like an open world splinter cell has me really excited. Looks like I'll pick this up along with mario kart this coming week. Are there any differences between xbone and ps4?

Kelsey

Banned
Guy on Twitch said Ubisoft gave permission to stream as long as you don't stream missions. Not sure how true that is, but he's currently streaming the game on XB1 and he's just doing side missions and side-games.

His stream

hbkdx12

Guy on Twitch said Ubisoft gave permission to stream as long as you don't stream missions. Not sure how true that is, but he's currently streaming the game on XB1 and he's just doing side missions and side-games.

His stream
Probably true. Theres a guy who's been streaming on ps4 about 12 hrs and he has yet to be banned but he hasnt done any missions either

I take it ubi just said fuck it and let ppl have their fun as long as they dont ruin the story

Come the fuck on Tuesday!!!

No one ever breaks bloody street dates anymore in Australia so it's driving me nuts watching all these streams.

GtaV is pretty amazing and of course the beginning is really, really good. I'm not saying the first 5h of WD are objectively better than GtaV, it's my personal opinion. I mean, interacting with the "city" during a chase it's a pretty nice feature for example.

I mean, looks like you can interact more with the city, people etc.

During a mission I just started to hack some surveillance cameras and some armed cops came to me and arrested me. I saw the entire scene through the camera. It was pretty fun to see!

Well, i really hope this game will hold in the next hours, right now it's very, very good.

Thanks for the impressions, looking forward to play around with it on Tuesday!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Most missions. Not all.

Fuck yeah, I'm gonna be the God Damn John Reese.

EDIT: Can you incapacitate enemies like you can incapacitate cops? By shooting in the kneecaps?

Top Bottom