• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Gaz_RB

Fuck yeah, I'm gonna be the God Damn John Reese.

EDIT: Can you incapacitate enemies like you can incapacitate cops? By shooting in the kneecaps?

Yeah, it registers them as "neutralized" instead of "killed". I think you might get more XP but I don't remember. They don't really react differently though.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it registers them as "neutralized" instead of "killed". I think you might get more XP but I don't remember. They don't really react differently though.

Not even them falling to the floor as if they were shot in the knee?

But hey, I'm not complaining, that's pretty awesome, I'm glad they implemented it. Here's hoping that for the next game they have better animations for it.

EDIT: I mean the E3 2013 animation of the cops being shot in the kneecap, not even that?

Gaz_RB

Not even them falling to the floor as if they were shot in the knee?

But hey, I'm not complaining, that's pretty awesome, I'm glad they implemented it. Here's hoping that for the next game they have better animations for it.

EDIT: I mean the E3 2013 animation of the cops being shot in the kneecap, not even that?

They sort of grasp for their knee I guess, and then they'll sort of go limp just like a dead person. Maybe they pass out from the pain haha.

jwtsonga

That's exactly the problem though. Being that the game is cross gen, ubi likely developed the assets with the older hardware in mind, gimping the ps4, x1, and PC versions in the process.

Well it sucks I guess, but Watch Dogs 2 will look truly next gen, like the reveal trailer. No trace of old gen will be left!! Hopefully by then I have a ps4 or new rig to enjoy it :)

HowZatOZ

Banned
Fuck yeah, I'm gonna be the God Damn John Reese.

EDIT: Can you incapacitate enemies like you can incapacitate cops? By shooting in the kneecaps?

Yeah but its a bit picky on when it registers it as incapacitated. Also I love the train system in this, was nice and peaceful just catching a train line to my next destination.

TheMan

so it turns out the place i'll be for all of next week doesn't have tv's with hdmi connections...i'll bring my ps4 just in case but it's not looking good for watch dogs

ttech10

Probably true. Theres a guy who's been streaming on ps4 about 12 hrs and he has yet to be banned but he hasnt done any missions either

I take it ubi just said fuck it and let ppl have their fun as long as they dont ruin the story

I'm betting they realized people were changing their opinions after having seen non-Ubisoft released gameplay and that it was the best possibly publicity for the game. It has converted a few here on GAF

tookhster

Forgive me if this has been mentioned countless times, but does anybody know the cheapest place to get the PC version? Through legit means, not shady proxy stuff.

I see that Get Games Go has it for $45 bucks, but for some reason every time I go through checkout it says I have to exclude the game from my cart...

Anyone have any good stream links they can send me or post it hidden so I have to quote them of a high PC or PS4 version. I found some streams now, a lot of them are decent.

What if they all wanted to get their hands on this game very badly since the reveals in E3 2012, E3 2013, but now they are all disappointed in seeing the significant downgrade in certain specific technical aspects of Watch_Dogs?

Tough shit for them, honestly. They can go make a thread of complaints if they want. A vast majority of people entering this thread are trying to read impressions and get a little bit more hyped up for the hopefully amazing experience. This task is next to impossible when you have to sift through the mountain of bullshit from people discussing downgrades and analyzing screenshots from the final game and the 2012 build like they are blood slides.

If I read the MediaCows info correctly in their walkthrough, there are
39 main missions.

Kinda spoilery, bro.

An English game being put out in English, not French-Canadian. You pay people to check these things and localise.
Guess they cut the budget on that? Its a (small) mistake not a 'preference'

EDIT: Okay, too be clear, this isn't a huge deal at all! I'm just agreeing with Russian Box that it's unfortunate these things slipped through the cracks! I'm excited to play the game I'm just replying to Russian Box! Hahaha

ORIGINAL POST:

I was watching the first 30 minutes on Polygon and noticed that one NPC's bio said something about them graduating "University" not "college."

SWOOOOOP--there goes my immersion. Gone in an instant. I thought the same thing. "Don't they have people checking this?" If I were writing for something set in Canada, I would know to call it university and not college. Why couldn't their writers know the same? It's a very common distinction.

It's simple and small, but this attention to detail is important in a game so reliant on its setting.

It's such a pet peeve of mine.

I was watching the first 30 minutes on Polygon and noticed that one NPC's bio said something about them graduating "University" not "college."

SWOOOOOP--there goes my immersion. Gone in an instant. I thought the same thing. "Don't they have people checking this?" If I were writing for something set in Canada, I would know to call it university and not college. Why couldn't their writers know the same? It's a very common distinction.

It's simple and small, but this attention to detail is important in a game so reliant on its setting.

For real dude?

Not every school in the US is called a college. From my experience, it usually depends on the quality of the school. Usually lower ones will be college...middle-ish ones will be a university..and the best are usually called by their full name.

And if you don't agree with that, you can agree that not everyone says the word "college". Besides, it's a BIO...not like an actual person was saying "I attend university." The bio probably read like a resume almost--which almost always says University of Tennessee or something along those lines.

lt519

For real dude?

Not every school in the US is called a college. From my experience, it usually depends on the quality of the school. Usually lower ones will be college...middle-ish ones will be a university..and the best are usually called by their full name.

And if you don't agree with that, you can agree that not everyone says the word "college". Besides, it's a BIO...not like an actual person was saying "I attend university." The bio probably read like a resume almost--which almost always says University of Tennessee or something along those lines.

Just gonna swoop I here, was looking for leak impressions but...Universities conduct research/teach and colleges just teach, that's the difference.

Edit: research implies advanced degrees, you don't get a masters or PhDs without research or professors that conduct it.

spannicus

This game should have looked a lot better than it does I think, comparing it to Ubisoft's other titles, graphically this has to be the worst. The story and multiplayer will keep me interested. The game should have looked much better than this, damn game making my 500 dollar Xbox feel bad lol. Ubisoft did not give their 100 percent while creating this game, feels like it could have used more time. You want pretty? Get it on PC

Marcel

Haha. Among all the "my immersion was broken" stories I see on GAF, this ranks up there with some of the most petty ones. Hate to break your immersion again dude but universities exist in Illinois.

For real dude?

Do not agree with this at all. In the U.S., college is an appropriate term for universities, it denotes nothing about the quality of the education. And nobody says "I graduated from University."

LiK

you should've been pissed about the underscore in the title first.

ttech10

If it helps, you can just presume that either the Blume Corporation isn't US based and so they used the word University, or one of their employees isn't American and is used to using the word University, so wrote it that way into ctOS.

Also, I really hope this is a joke. University breaks your immersion, but being able to magically profile and hack people while sprinting down the street is realistic?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Do not agree with this at all. In the U.S., college is an appropriate term for universities, it denotes nothing about the quality of the education. And nobody says "I graduated from University."
College may be applied to universities regardless but not the other way around. Maybe there are regional distinctions as well but I wouldn't refer to any of the various local community colleges around me as "universities," ever. regardless the colloquialism of saying "graduated from university" isn't really dependent on the person who graduated but on whoever was typing up the bio I cannot believe we are talking about this holy shit.

Nydius

Just gonna swoop I here, was looking for leak impressions but...Universities conduct research/teach and colleges just teach, that's the difference.

Actually, Universities are made up of multiple colleges (aka divisions) within the University, each with their own separate funding and hierarchies. College is just a single institution. Both can participate in research. The fundamental difference is the structure. For example, a degree in Computer Science from Old Dominion University is governed by their College of Sciences.

That said, the idea that an NPC who says they "went to University" in the European manner breaks immersion is profoundly ridiculous. Chicago is a multi-ethnic city. The NPC could very well be from Europe and attended college in the United States. If anything, the sheer diversity of conversations in the game create immersion (although some of the hacked ones are creepy as hell, such as the one I just listened to where a guy tried to explain how they squeeze gel into fake boobs).

Edit 2: Speaking of pet peeves, the only one I have with this game right now is the lack of a goddamn taser. Kneecapping enemies to "neutralize" them when I don't feel like running to catch them seems more anarchist than vigilante and brandishing a gun, generally, has the chance to end poorly.

Gaz_RB

Tetra pls

Forgive me if this has been mentioned countless times, but does anybody know the cheapest place to get the PC version? Through legit means, not shady proxy stuff.

I see that Get Games Go has it for $45 bucks, but for some reason every time I go through checkout it says I have to exclude the game from my cart...

GreenManGaming has is for $45 as well with code GMG025-MAYBHW-SOSAVE

lt519

Actually, Universities are made up of multiple colleges (aka divisions) within the University, each with their own separate funding and hierarchies. College is just a single institution. Both can participate in research. The fundamental difference is the structure. For example, a degree in Computer Science from Old Dominion University is governed by their College of Sciences.

That said, the idea that an NPC who says they "went to University" in the European manner breaks immersion is profoundly ridiculous. Chicago is a multi-ethnic city. The NPC could very well be from Europe and attended college in the United States. If anything, the sheer diversity of conversations in the game create immersion (although some of the hacked ones are creepy as hell, such as the one I just listened to where a guy tried to explain how they squeeze gel into fake boobs).

Stand corrected, my university I went to a "college of engineering." I'd still be interested to hear of a college named school performing research. While universities are broken into colleges I'm not sure that college only named schools perform research. W/e glad the game is getting some positive impressions, will pick up later on a deep discount, Mario kart will own me for some time.

I like the concept of a "splinter cell" type GTA, so definitely getting this game, but used. Just can't condone this kind of downgrade that removes a large part of what drew me to the IP in the first place.

MayMay

Banned

http://www.colostate.edu/

Among many many others.

For real dude?

You missed my point but maybe I wasn't clear.

United States Americans call higher education "college". It doesn't matter if you went to a university like me. It doesn't matter if you went to a two-year community college. It doesn't matter if you got a doctorate at Harvard University. People refer to it as college. In Canada (and the UK too, as far as I know) it's refered to as University or Uni.

So: Higher Education in the United States is referred to generally as college. (Again, this is despite whether the individual school is a college or a collection of colleges in the form of a university.) Higher Education in Canada/across the pond is referred to generally as University.

And it was used in that context, trust me.

None of that matters though. The point I was trying to make, in concurrence with the poster I was replying to. Is that little things like that matter when the world of the game is such an important part. "An helicopter" would take me out of the experience as well.

Top Bottom