• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Ugh.
Stay classy, Twitter.

Edit: I flagged it on Twitter not that I expect anything to happen.. it's pretty inappropriate though.

Oh brother. Aisha's a big girl. She knew she was in the game, she knew she'd be shot dead 50 million times. If I was in a game, I'd shoot myself too.

The fact you guys consider this inappropriate and will defend violent video games to death when it comes to school shooting is a little..mind boggling to say the least.

That's probably the biggest difference between the 2012 and release version

watch-dogs-gif.gif
Yeah, the physics alone are on an entirely different level.

Marcel

Oh brother. Aisha's a big girl. She knew she was in the game, she knew she'd be shot dead 50 million times. If I was in a game, I'd shoot myself too.

The fact you guys consider this inappropriate and will defend violent video games to death when it comes to school shooting is a little..mind boggling to say the least.

While I'm not one for overreaction or anything, it's a bit in poor taste considering what happened in California on Friday.

Ploid 3.0

lol yeah, where's your sense of dark humor guys?

I actually forgot she was a comedian. I just imagined it like if someone on the internets sent some celebrity (use Alec Baldwin for example) a picture of their character dead with a gun pointed at the head still. It could be humor, but in context of how weird the internet gets it could be a bit creepy.

JLeack

Banned

Someone just shot a virtual version of a real person and then sent the photo to them. If you think that's normal and or acceptable then you need help.

I can't believe it doesn't have parallax mapping. GTA V even has that. No wonder the game looks so flat.

I also can't believe that the PS4 version features screen tearing as well. What year is this?

ttech10

Should I go PC (i5-3570k @3.4, GTX760 2GB, 8GB RAM), or PS4? I have friends getting it on PS4, and I'd rather play a lengthy open world game on my TV, so I'm leaning that way. I just don't know if the possible (probably minor if there is any) graphical upgrade is worth getting it on PC or not.

Go PS4. I have the same setup but with a 280x and on High (Ultra textures) I get most 30-50fps with occasional highs above 60 and lows below 30. The game is also almost always using over 2.7GB of VRAM.

Not only that, but I agree about the game being a couch game, plus with the PS4 you'll be able to do online free roam with your friends as opposed to being (somewhat) alone on PC (I'm not sure, does PC have that as well?).

I actually only have the PC and PS3 and after downloading it to try it on PC (and viewing PS3 videos), have opted to get it on PS3. Sure it will look better on PC but I'll be missing the comfort of the console version, online friends and trophies. The gameplay far outweighed the graphics for me, which makes it annoying when graphics are all that people talk about with the game. I likely will get it on PC later on down the road for the graphics (like I do with other games like GTA, TES and Fallout), but I want to experience it first while I'm comfortable and can enjoy gaming for a couple hours at a time. The amount of time I put into Skyrim on PC is nothing compared to Skyrim PS3 (despite performance issues, graphics and many, many missing gameplay elements).

Go PC, play with a controller, and lock your framerate to 30 and get a much better looking game. Friends aren't worth the visual difference :p

And yes, the PC version has invasions. I don't understand why people act like PC gaming is such a hassle, don't have to sit upon a spiked chair while you play with your razor blade covered keyboard.

Ploid 3.0

I actually only have the PC and PS3 and after downloading it to try it on PC (and viewing PS3 videos), have opted to get it on PS3. Sure it will look better on PC but I'll be missing the comfort of the console version, online friends and trophies. The gameplay far outweighed the graphics for me, which makes it annoying when graphics are all that people talk about with the game. I likely will get it on PC later on down the road for the graphics (like I do with other games like GTA, TES and Fallout), but I want to experience it first while I'm comfortable and can enjoy gaming for a couple hours at a time. The amount of time I put into Skyrim on PC is nothing compared to Skyrim PS3 (despite performance issues, graphics and many, many missing gameplay elements).

Very confused, you already have it, why get it again later down the road? Or do you mean redownload when you get better hardware or when drivers are better?

Looks FAR better now in my opinion...

Youtube compression strikes again most likely.

iFERVz8fRSdLD.png

Cubed

Tired of seeing footage. Want it now!!!

I'm lucky, as I wasn't hyped for this game AT ALL after the reveal... or pretty much any time up until about 2 weeks ago.

I think the PS4 footage shown on YouTube and Twitch looks fantastic!

Someone just shot a virtual version of a real person and then sent the photo to them. If you think that's normal and or acceptable then you need help.

Not for me to judge as it has nothing to with me. Let's wait and see if Aisha herself has a problem with it before we all go white-knighting her and rescuing her from her dungeon!

Ploid 3.0

Tired of seeing footage. Want it now!!!

I'm lucky, as I wasn't hyped for this game AT ALL after the reveal... or pretty much any time up until about 2 weeks ago.

I think the PS4 footage shown on YouTube and Twitch looks fantastic!

Yeah the PS4 version looks like the one to get normally unless your PC can run it comfortably. Need PS+ for MP though, so PC may win out for some with less than comfortable specs. PC Gaf needs to get a uplay friends list going for Watch Dogs. Though it's probably not needed, it seems like the MP is random people only. No invites, or party.

Not for me to judge as it has nothing to with me. Let's wait and see if Aisha herself has a problem with it before we all go white-knighting her and rescuing her from her dungeon!

She will most likely not respond even if she found it awesome. I don't mess with tweet but a celebrity responding to a tweet seem to be a rare thing as far as I know. A less known comic responded to a friend and he went nuts over the fact that he got retweeted or whatever. They must get thousands of messages.

Jim Carrey Bruice Almighty emails.gif

Go PC, play with a controller, and lock your framerate to 30 and get a much better looking game. Friends aren't worth the visual difference :p

And yes, the PC version has invasions. I don't understand why people act like PC gaming is such a hassle, don't have to sit upon a spiked chair while you play with your razor blade covered keyboard.

As a casual passer-by my thought was I don't understand why you'd give a fuck.

People just don't even realize when they're doing the warrior thing, do they?

As a casual passer-by my thought was I don't understand why you'd give a fuck.

People just don't even realize when they're doing the warrior thing, do they?

I was responding to the person who asked which system to get it on, while the person above me was making silly comments about consoles being more comfortable. Hardly being a warrior.

Jhn

Yea the street isn't wet anymore, big deal, look at the building textures, look at the added detail on the windows and door. There's no downgrade there.

Wetness and time of day explains most of the differences, but the DOF that's clearly visible in the old footage is gone.

ttech10

so someone found that Aisha Tyler, a lady who works with Ubisoft, in the game. then tweeted this to her

https://twitter.com/chaquator/status/470428551548661760

You could have gone with the obvious Archer reference:
Or, something like that.

Personally, my eyes are fine with the visual difference (and in his case, I don't think the difference would be that big between those specs and the PS4 version). If the game is fun it doesn't bother me. Even with a controller and comfortable computer chair, with a game like this where I could sink hours at a time into it, I just prefer the couch and the big screen (and I don't want to haul the PC back and forth). At the end of the day, I just prefer the console over the PC for most games. I really only go to PC when I'm in the mood for pure graphics and/or mods. Telling people like me that PC is better, is like trying to tell a truck owner that cars are better vehicles. Neither person is wrong, but neither is right. It's just preference and nobody has to have the same ones.

Very confused, you already have it, why get it again later down the road? Or do you mean redownload when you get better hardware or when drivers are better?

Because I "have" it. I hate having to download games, but I knew it was the only way to try it and it's tough for me to make a decision on a game, especially a new franchise, without hands on experience. Plus, if games are going to have forced pre-orders for items, they should allow for demos, because otherwise the only way to make sure you like the game and still get those items is to download the game through other channels.

K.Sabot

Wetness and time of day explains most of the differences, but the DOF that's clearly visible in the old footage is gone.

The old footage's cobblestone road also has bump mapping though I'm not sure if it's a rain exclusive thing.

DOWN

Banned
You could have gone with the obvious Archer reference:

Or, something like that.

Personally, my eyes are fine with the visual difference (and in his case, I don't think the difference would be that big between those specs and the PS4 version). If the game is fun it doesn't bother me. Even with a controller and comfortable computer chair, with a game like this where I could sink hours at a time into it, I just prefer the couch and the big screen (and I don't want to haul the PC back and forth).

Because I "have" it. I hate having to download games, but I knew it was the only way to try it and it's tough for me to make a decision on a game, especially a new franchise, without hands on experience. Plus, if games are going to have forced pre-orders for items, they should allow for demos, because otherwise the only way to make sure you like the game and still get those items is to download the game through other channels.

Ubi releases all of their pre-order items shortly after launch so you can get them all and many games don't lend well to demos, nor do many teams find them to be a useful way to represent the game in the big picture when they can show it off in interview live plays and other releases themselves.

"Having" it is not necessary.

Personally, I find console gaming on the home theater more enjoyable in many cases, too.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Playing the PS4 version, the most jarring thing tech wise is the crazy pop ins sometimes. Like:

14076922118_4a7da3e1c3_o.gif

Personally, my eyes are fine with the visual difference (and in his case, I don't think the difference would be that big between those specs and the PS4 version). If the game is fun it doesn't bother me. Even with a controller and comfortable computer chair, with a game like this where I could sink hours at a time into it, I just prefer the couch and the big screen (and I don't want to haul the PC back and forth). At the end of the day, I just prefer the console over the PC for most games. I really only go to PC when I'm in the mood for pure graphics and/or mods. Telling people like me that PC is better, is like trying to tell a truck owner that cars are better vehicles. Neither person is wrong, but neither is right. It's just preference and nobody has to have the same ones.

That is a terrible comparison because trucks actually have different, useful purposes but oh well. I will enjoy playing Watch Dogs on my PC via the couch in any case
Playing the PS4 version, the most jarring thing tech wise is the crazy pop ins sometimes. Like:

14076922118_4a7da3e1c3_o.gif
GTA V's highways/feeder roads did the same thing, hopefully on the PC there is a pedestrian/draw distance toggle.

Jhn

The old footage's cobblestone road also has bump mapping though I'm not sure if it's a rain exclusive thing.

Yeah, I'd wager that it's still there since we've seen the same effect elsewhere under the right circumstances, but since there are virtually no specular reflections in the new picture (due to both weather and time of day) it's a bit hard to tell. Normal maps aren't very obvious in strictly diffuse light.

Playing the PS4 version, the most jarring thing tech wise is the crazy pop ins sometimes.

Jesus, that's bad.

Nydius

I'm all for dark humor when it's shown as such. I don't know if you saw the thread here when Aisha was named as the host for the Ubisoft conference but there was a lot of "oh, not her again" hyperbole, to put it mildly. I'm sure GAF wasn't alone. There seems to be a lot of people out there who either love her or hate her, to equal extremes. That image was in poor taste because it's hard to know the intent. At best, it's a poorly done joke.

I do enjoy how you attempt to conflate two completely separate issues and fail to make a strong point on either.

Alright. I'm back.

After 6-7 hours, I have come to the conclusion that Watch_Dogs is not a game I am willing to pay $60 for.

-Gameplay is smooth and silky but it's already lost its luster. Comparing it more to an open-world Splinter Cell instead of AC is pretty damn spot-on.

-I got to about halfway through Chapter 1, out of
5(?)
chapters and the story is very meh so far. BUT. It has just begun so maybe the plot is just a slow starter.

-The last mission I did,
Open Your World
, was very bad guy heavy but I was able to sneak around to advantageous position and take them out at a manageable pace all thanks to the devices you can craft, which worked out better than I thought it would.

-Driving is atrocious at first so there will be A LOT of adjusting to it but you will get better at it.

-Automatically acquiring perks through doing side missions is an alright feature. It doesn't really make me WANT to do them but it'll be a nice perk for completionists.

Does it live up to the hype? No.
Is it still a good-great game? I think so.

Overall, I'm already tired of Watch_Dogs. Maybe I'll wake up tomorrow, boot it up again and after putting in some more time, something will click.

Maybe not. All I know is some people will be eating crow. I know I'm chomping on a piece of a wing myself.

*I didn't mention the graphics simply because I don't want to start the whole downgradeathon thing but I will say, with the settings we're running it on his PC(mid-high)......it leaves a LOT to be desired. It's not ugly, per se. Just disappointing.

EDIT:I forgot to mention.

I was VERY tempted to buy Watch_Dogs after playing it for the first couple of minutes for one very stupid reason.

Spitalfield.

Spitalfield is in the soundtrack. That blew my fucking mind. They took one of my favorite bands, used one of their best songs, from one of their best albums and put it in the soundtrack.

Awesome.

You know when I read that Disrupt was made from Anvil next I didn't release they were taking Assassins Creeds Draw distance completely. That was one of AC's biggest weaknesses. I mean damn that's just unacceptable.

Nydius

GTA V's highways/feeder roads did the same thing, hopefully on the PC there is a pedestrian/draw distance toggle.

Unless it's hiding in the profile XML - or somewhere else - as a setting you can perform manually, I don't think there's a designated draw distance toggle. It appears to be tied to the other options, notably the graphical detail.

It's not as pronounced as the PS4 example but I see very similar pedestrian pop in on the High preset, especially in places where there's a lot of concurrent foot and auto traffic.

Top Bottom