• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

TheCloser

Banned
-The graphics downgrade is not "severe." Do we have to bring up the trailer that everyone said "oh this looks amazing ps4 will never look like this it'll melt" because they assumed it was the pc version.
-Many critically acclaimed triple A games have a release day embargo so there's no reason to point it out here like it's abnormal, where were all the release day embargo skeptics when Child of Light, Transistor, South Park:SoT all had release day embargos?
-Games releasing in tons of different areas usually have several editions, that's not something that's odd or abnormal either considering it applies to other franchises and companies as well.

1) The downgrade is severe. When people were saying the ps4 would melt, i was wondering what they were all smoking because it looked horrible. That trailer still looks like trash.

2)While it is true that many critically acclaimed triple A games have a release day embargo, watch dogs is not critically acclaimed. The word on the streets was that journalist aren't impressed with the game at all. In fact, i'm almost willing to wager that this game will score lower on metacritic than wolfenstien.

3) Just because other companies do it doesn't make it right.

I don't know, can we get a poll going who's still buying Watch_Dogs?
I'd love a new PS4 game - let alone a co-op one - but damn all this shit.

-Severe graphics downgrade
-Release day review embargo
-5 collectors editions/several others. No one complete edition

I've gone from day one to maybe not at all; I feel buying this game is a statement of itself.
-I don't even think the downgrade is that severe, especially not on a good pc. Most of the rainy nighttime footage still looks pretty damn good. But sure, it doesn't look exactly like the 2012 vertical slice.
- Lot's of great games had release day embargos (lots of bad ones too...). So it's hard to say anything about quality based on that.
- I'll be buying the standard game. I have no problem with them releasing different version of special editions. Cause i won't buy them.

NBtoaster

THEY HAVE TO KNOW OR WE'VE FAILED!!!!!!!!

http://i.minus.com/ibn0lNx6LWmbDI.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ivULSdGXfc7Gl.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/itU1zIgTBZ4iV.png[/IG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/iGe5n3wnEGjR1.png/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i0MPv793Wi2a3.png/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.minus.com/i68UqLNCq5jTV.png[IMG]

#FIGHTTHEGOODFIGHT!
#DOITFORDOGE![/QUOTE]

That doesn't really look much better than what they've shown recently.

-I don't even think the downgrade is that severe, especially not on a good pc. Most of the rainy nighttime footage still looks pretty damn good. But sure, it doesn't look exactly like the 2012 vertical slice.
- Lot's of great games had release day embargos (lots of bad ones too...). So it's hard to say anything about quality based on that.
- I'll be buying the standard game. I have no problem with them releasing different version of special editions. Cause i won't buy them.
I am not sure, but I though asset quality and particle effects looked better in the old footage. As far as I have seen these look the same on consoles and PC version, which just seems to have better AA, IQ, and some higher quality effects. It looks much more like the current gen version than it does the 2012 version. Having said that I still think the game looks pretty good, particularly at night, and I don't think the 2012 version was even that impressive (it was at the time, not now). Hence, I personally was surprised when they couldnt meet that projection.

I think the backlash has been good, Ubi shouldn't try and pull these kind of bate and switch again, but it has run its course. Everyone is aware that it doesn't look as good. People should wait for the game's release and high quality footage/game in their hands to further the point.

Aircraft DLC Has leaked via this image.

flying%20dog.jpg

Lol the collectors edition dlc is even better

draft_lens17643081module148260241photo_1297824487Red_Airplane_Dog_by_istol

Great OT - thank you. I have to admit that because of Neogaf I started to enjoy game-releases way more than sometimes the game itself. This OT, the review and the DF thread will make a perfect circle.

I hope the game turns out to be fun on your favourite system. Fingers crossed for all day 1 enthusiasts. I'm looking forward to the reviews & all the discussions - probably buy the standard edition anyway.

I am not sure, but I though asset quality and particle effects looked better in the old footage. As far as I have seen these look the same on consoles and PC version, which just seems to have better AA, IQ, and some higher quality effects. It looks much more like the current gen version than it does the 2012 version. Having said that I still think the game looks pretty good, particularly at night, and I don't think the 2012 version was even that impressive (it was at the time, not now). Hence, I personally was surprised when they couldnt meet that projection.

I think the backlash has been good, Ubi shouldn't try and pull these kind of bate and switch again, but it has run its course. Everyone is aware that it doesn't look as good. People should wait for the game's release and high quality footage/game in their hands to further the point.
Yes, but i'm not entirely sure it was bait and switch.. They didn't have the devkits yet, did they? But ofcourse Ubi is well known for bullshots and slightly over-ambitious presentations. And i agree they should keep it real. It will only backfire in the end.

PTG

I'm getting this game day one on PS4. This was going to be my launch game before Ubisoft delayed it. I know the game won't look as good as the 2012 reveal at E3 and the game won't be 1080p on the PS4 (which sucks) but I still can't wait to play this game.

HowZatOZ

Banned
1) The downgrade is severe. When people were saying the ps4 would melt, i was wondering what they were all smoking because it looked horrible. That trailer still looks like trash.

2)While it is true that many critically acclaimed triple A games have a release day embargo, watch dogs is not critically acclaimed. The word on the streets was that journalist aren't impressed with the game at all. In fact, i'm almost willing to wager that this game will score lower on metacritic than wolfenstien.

What in the hell are you talking about? I can tell you for a fact that Watch Dogs is just as "critically acclaimed" as any other titles with embargoes on launch day. Also I love how you state that reviewers aren't liking it as "fact" when in fact you have no clue about that.

Jesus the hyperbole is just getting crazy, and its dragging the NeoGAF name through the mud at the same time. This is a forum where we should be criticising games, but saying stuff like "lol this game looks like GTA 3" is just stupid. Come on people, we don't need to lap everything up but we don't need to shout such hyperbole and crazy shit like this OT is filled with.

This is just beyond crazy now, and its getting rather sad.

curlycare

Can't wait to see some direct feed PC footage since I'm already liking what we've seen from console versions. And if devs really are using ultra settings with 670, I'll be a very happy doge. Wonder what's the framerate though, might be 30 since "30 is the sweet spot for open world" -statement.

Yes, but i'm not entirely sure it was bait and switch.. They didn't have the devkits yet, did they? But ofcourse Ubi is well known for bullshots and slightly over-ambitious presentations. And i agree they should keep it real. It will only backfire in the end.

Yeah, that is all I meant. They are the only ones so far this gen that I think have done this to an extent that has riled people. Literally nobody expected the next gen consoles to have a 680 equivalent, so I am not sure what they were expecting. Most people were pleasantly surprised when the PS4 specs were revealed, given power draw etc. If this means Ubi have learned their lesson and won't overpromise as per usual then in the long run it can only be a good thing.

R_Deckard

Bring on the gaming goodness!!!

THEY HAVE TO KNOW OR WE'VE FAILED!!!!!!!!

ibn0lNx6LWmbDI.png

Well to me this above ^^ does not look that much better or far removed from the below PS4 shot

Yes the Physical Shader has been dropped ( with the need for last gen) but by and large I think it is good enough to be no worse than other games seen in the public eye throughout the Dev cycle IMHOP

Sorc3r3r

Waiting for streams on this one.
Even in the game drought we are in, this game seems not appealing.

The whole overpromising and underdelivering on the gfx side is not helping too...
We will see...

dex3108

Waiting for streams on this one.
Even in the game drought we are in, this game seems not appealing.

The whole overpromising and underdelivering on the gfx side is not helping too...
We will see...

There will be streams on 22nd and some gameplay videos.

Well to me this above ^^ does not look that much better or far removed from the below PS4 shot

Yes the Physical Shader has been dropped ( with the need for last gen) but by and large I think it is good enough to be no worse than other games seen in the public eye throughout the Dev cycle IMHOP
Considering the below image is faar more compressed and possibly beta footage... I guess it looks pretty close. Would have looked on par if it was PS4 exclusive i think.
We can safely say this game looks best at night and with rainy weather.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

1.This isn't what I would refer to as a severe downgrade.
iEHzfpcZuP0B4.gif

2.The majority of Watch Dogs previews have been positive. So what "word on the street" are you talking about?

3.And just because Watch Dogs is doing it doesn't mean that it's wrong when there's no definitive proof that a release day embargo=a worse game or lack of confidence in the product, especially not when it's a common practice. No one is forcing gamers to buy something day one.

QaaQer

I think the problem was that EVERYONE crowned it the winner of e3 and best thing to ever be when it really wasnt. I thought it was cool and I still think it is cool. My hype meter never surpassed being the greastest game ever like people said when it was first revealed. I really wish it came out at launch of ps4 because assassins creed 4 was really not that fun for me.

It's Ubisoft marketing's fault and the anger/cynicism is a reaction to the overpromising.

The Promise: A is a game that explores big themes in our world, with amazing gfx, and unprecedented interconnected world AI. It is truly unique and new.

The Reality: Guns, cover shooting, street racing, magic cellphone, hacking mini-games, collectables, and angry young white asshole protag.

It can still be a fun game, but it looks like nothing more than a ubi open world videogamey videogame. If they had just sold it as that, the anger wouldn't be here, or at least not as much.

TheCloser

Banned
What in the hell are you talking about? I can tell you for a fact that Watch Dogs is just as "critically acclaimed" as any other titles with embargoes on launch day. Also I love how you state that reviewers aren't liking it as "fact" when in fact you have no clue about that.

Jesus the hyperbole is just getting crazy, and its dragging the NeoGAF name through the mud at the same time. This is a forum where we should be criticising games, but saying stuff like "lol this game looks like GTA 3" is just stupid. Come on people, we don't need to lap everything up but we don't need to shout such hyperbole and crazy shit like this OT is filled with.

This is just beyond crazy now, and its getting rather sad.
You should probably go look in the thread about ubisoft giving nexus 7s to journos at the preview event. I believe a British journalist called the game wank. Some gaffers who have played the game also complained about performance issues. Finally, we did have a review drop early and it wasn't to positive. Research first, I'm just passing along the info.

How can a new IP be critically acclaimed? It has no history and it can only win awards after its been reviewed and released. Being best of show at e3 doesn't count.

Finally the downgrade is significant. It is probably the biggest downgrade I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Ubisoft has a history when it comes to downgrades so why are you defending them and supporting an embarrassing practice?

Are you sure about that?. I can´t see a difference in the two images ( except for a superior bokeh in the first one ) that says that. Besides it wouldn´t have sense removing physical shaders based rendering only because PS3 and Xbox 360 can´t run it.

PS: Ok, another difference is the Physically Based Area Lights not present in the second screenshot ( you were refering to these? ). It would be weird to have dropped it in next gen consoles when games like Uncharted 3 already had those.

mylasthope

Neo Member
You should probably go look in the thread about ubisoft giving nexus 7s to journos at the preview event. I believe a British journalist called the game wank. Some gaffers who have played the game also complained about performance issues. Finally, we did have a review drop early and it wasn't to positive. Research first, I'm just passing along the info.

How can a new IP be critically acclaimed? It has no history and it can only win awards after its been reviewed and released. Being best of show at e3 doesn't count.

Finally the downgrade is significant. It is probably the biggest downgrade I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Ubisoft has a history when it comes to downgrades so why are you defending them and supporting an embarrassing practice?

You may want to "research" the validity of that review before you use it as support for your claims. ;)

R_Deckard

Are you sure about that?. I can´t see a difference in the two images ( except for a superior bokeh in the first one ) that says that. Besides it wouldn´t have sense removing physical shaders based rendering only because PS3 and Xbox 360 can´t run it.

PS: Ok, another difference is the Physically Based Area Lights not present in the second screenshot ( you were refering to these? ). It would be weird to have dropped it in next gen consoles when games like Uncharted 3 already had those.

There is no Bokeh in the first shot, just a subtle DoF affect, the Physical shader is dropped around the game in the Cars, Buildings. I think on Aiden they have just applied a far more Dynamic lighting set, the Game looks to have quite alot of Dynamic Lighting present and with a full Physical based shader engine to work across 5 platforms would be a miracle IMOP.

Considering the below image is faar more compressed and possibly beta footage... I guess it looks pretty close. Would have looked on par if it was PS4 exclusive i think.
We can safely say this game looks best at night and with rainy weather.
For sure it does look stunning at night in the rain, I bet Low Level light Morning, Dusk will look superb, the Weather system will really add to the organic side of the world..I hope!

Dr Dogg

Just had a thought, this is Ubi's first AAA game in ages that is launching simultaneously on 5 platforms at once. The AC IV OT was a ghost town at launch. Got the feeling it's going to be a little more busy in here :p

Thank you Dr Dogg, the opinion of a fellow Dawg is very important to me.

Hahaha no worries. The only thing the OT doesn't have is a memorial for all the GAFfers PS4's that melt trying to play this or the GAFfers melting down in this thread as well!

madmackem

Jesus... Are you guys riding the iambladders-train now? Wtf is happening to this forum?
Being sceptic is okay, but actively trying to convince other people that the game is shit and trying to convince them to not buy the game, all based on the premise that the game doesn't look 100% like the 2012 verticle slice concept on a high end PC when they didn't have devkits yet?
Wow.. I'm sure Ubi can be blamed for certain things, but it's not like the devs themselves didn't work their asses off to deliver a nice open world experience for us to enjoy. It's almost as if people can't wait for the game to get very poor reviews. "Rejoice, the game has failed. We succeeded".

This and the wolfie thread before reviews has brought out the very worst in gaf, kneejerking everywhere, as you say people trying to get others not to buy the games, gaf has shown its ugly side these past few days.

Goddamn some of the posters in this thread are making me angry e.g. using a fake review as proof that Watch_Dogs is shit.

Come the fuck on.

Linius

Haha Dawg, exceptional work on the OP. If people won't buy this game after reading this thread I don't know man.

HowZatOZ

Banned

Uh, the "early" review was not a review at all, it was multiplayer beta code from a few months ago that had severely limited textures due to keeping the size down for testing. So please, you go do research. I can tell you that our reviewer is going just fine, and I can easily expect Watch Dogs to be on the 80+ metacritic average from what I have seen and played.

That whole Nexus 7 debacle was pretty shit, I will give you that, but it is part of the journalistic industry by large. A lot of journalists get gifts and such, hell I just got a rather cool review kit from MonoChroma, but the key to being a good journalist is that this fluff stuff WON'T influence your perspective on the game. If that does, then go ahead and call out the integrity of said journalist.

Also yes, Ubisoft does have a rather morbid history of over hyping and over sensationalising their products, but does that really require people shouting hyperbole statements and claiming Ubisoft is committing fraud? Again, I will stress that opinion and nitpicking and just looking at things through the magnifying glass are definitely needed, and to stomp that out would be a disgrace to freedom of speech or what have you, but should there not be some quality to an opinion? Should we really encourage users like iamthedoge with their rather over-the-top comments and flat out hyperbole statements?

Hoje0308

Banned
So, are we gonna post our online ID's so that we can pile into the back of a pickup truck and shoot old ladies in the face together?

Or other players. We don't have to limit ourselves to old ladies.

kriskrosbbk

Is anyone bugged by the fact that the PS4 version is still missing for preorder/predownload whatever on UK PSN? Its live on the US one for weeks now.

Top Bottom