• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

dex3108

So, are we gonna post our online ID's so that we can pile into the back of a pickup truck and shoot old ladies in the face together?

Or other players. We don't have to limit ourselves to old ladies.

You can add me on UPlay. I will be playing W_D on PC and Tablet (Companion App) and my UPlay nick is woodexx

Linius

I'm gonna play on PC too but I don't have a Uplay account yet. Prepare me for the horror Gaf
so I heard

Buburibon

1.This isn't what I would refer to as a severe downgrade.
iEHzfpcZuP0B4.gif

2.The majority of Watch Dogs previews have been positive. So what "word on the street" are you talking about?

3.And just because Watch Dogs is doing it doesn't mean that it's wrong when there's no definitive proof that a release day embargo=a worse game or lack of confidence in the product, especially not when it's a common practice. No one is forcing gamers to buy something day one.

I may be wrong about this, but the major difference I'm seeing between the 2012 reveal footage and what we're actually going to get, is the lack (or use of a considerably cheaper implementation) of volumetric lighting in the latter. Come to think of it, you know how in the real world light interacts with all kinds of particles in the air? That's what I believe the reveal footage was trying to emulate to a certain degree, and I'm just not seeing that effect anymore.

MJLord

I can't wait for this game to come out and for people to have some actual criticism based on the game, instead of 2 second long gifs and "leaked builds" that we don't know the quality of.

dex3108

I'm gonna play on PC too but I don't have a Uplay account yet. Prepare me for the horror Gaf
so I heard

You will be fine. If you are really scared first time when you start UPlay go to settings and turn off cloud saves. Also if you bought digital version of game start download on UPlay and go do something else while game is downloading. You will not be able to use internet normally because UPlay would use whole bandwidth.

You should probably go look in the thread about ubisoft giving nexus 7s to journos at the preview event. I believe a British journalist called the game wank. Some gaffers who have played the game also complained about performance issues. Finally, we did have a review drop early and it wasn't to positive. Research first, I'm just passing along the info.

How can a new IP be critically acclaimed? It has no history and it can only win awards after its been reviewed and released. Being best of show at e3 doesn't count.

Finally the downgrade is significant. It is probably the biggest downgrade I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Ubisoft has a history when it comes to downgrades so why are you defending them and supporting an embarrassing practice?
south-park-crap-out-mouth-o.gif

Christ, it's like people don't care how much they embarrass themselves. Citing fake reviews now, based on "research"? I'm used to the usual knee-jerk hyperbole around GAF, but Watch Dogs has miraculously brought out the absolute worst out of the woodwork. Just wow. The release of this game is going to be a blemish in GAF history for years to come.

I may be wrong about this, but the major difference I'm seeing between the 2012 reveal footage and what we're actually going to get, is the lack (or use of a considerably cheaper implementation) of volumetric lighting in the latter. Come to think of it, you know how in the real world light interacts with all kinds of particles in the air? That's what I believe the reveal footage was trying to emulate to a certain degree, and I'm just not seeing that effect anymore.

Thats exactly it.

MJLord

south-park-crap-out-mouth-o.gif

Christ, it's like people don't care how much they embarrass themselves. Citing fake reviews now, based on "research"? I'm used to the usual knee-jerk hyperbole around GAF, but Watch Dogs has miraculously brought out the absolute worst out of the woodwork. Just wow. The release of this game is going to be a blemish in GAF history for years to come.

I think I've seen him in every thread spouting the same.

I agree it's going to be embarrassing when this game comes out and is completely competent at what it was trying to achieve. God forbid it should actually be good as well.

R_Deckard

so I heard

Its not that bad....Until you try to uninstal a game...Dun Dun DUHHH!

The main gripe I have (as with Origin) is you have no share/Family option so my kids cannot play on there account on a game I bought, Consoles and Steam allow this with no issue..Come on Ubi.EA sort that out.

But just do what I do and add all games to steam anyway!

That is a very good point, and the Volumetric lighting is reduced but again all we have at this point is the Early Beta Leaks, I know alot wont change (texture/AA/maybe some effects) but it could be more present in the SP sections as they can tailor the weather and effects to suit the narrative...I am so looking forward to playing the mission from the 2012 Reveal!!

PeakPointMatrix said:

I must admit the hate/hyperbole and downright Saltyness to the game and need to STOP people buying and enjoying this game is sad..a dark, dark time for the Gaf!!

Hip Hop

I think I've seen him in every thread spouting the same.

I agree it's going to be embarrassing when this game comes out and is completely competent at what it was trying to achieve. God forbid it should actually be good as well.

It's a lose-lose situation for this game. If it turns out good, it will get shat on. If it turns out bad, it will get shat on.

Such a shame really.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Does anybody know what the deal is with causing mayhem? Like, are you actually punished for it or are there different rewards whether you play good or bad?

This post will be ignored because it has nothing to do with visuals

Skyzard

Banned

Yep, and that is what drew me to the game and drew me to upgrade my system specs.

Bastards. It just looks like a normal (good) game now.

NHale

Going for a bunch of the reactions in this thread and others related to the game, I'm convinced that if this game gets great reviews it will be the first time a multiplatform game will cause massive meltdowns on GAF because of positive reviews.

Going for a bunch of the reactions in this thread and others related to the game, I'm convinced that if this game gets great reviews it will be the first time a multiplatform game will cause massive meltdowns on GAF because of positive reviews.

Meltdowns are coming no matter what happens with this game. It's going to be great.

Varth

Does anybody know what the deal is with causing mayhem? Like, are you actually punished for it or are there different rewards whether you play good or bad?

It's more or less like Red Dead Redemption. People are likely to call the cops for anything if you have a bad reputation. Regarding the missions, you are actually encouraged to play it smart and limit the mayhem because it can get pretty hard at times. Dealing with crowds of thugs maximising the use of hacks, keeping to the shadows as long as you can and having a plan to escape set beforehand helps a lot.

Hasney

Is anyone bugged by the fact that the PS4 version is still missing for preorder/predownload whatever on UK PSN? Its live on the US one for weeks now.

No. The US one being cheaper and availble for pre-load (if that has now been sorted)? I rarely ever touch the UK PSN anymore.

It's a lose-lose situation for this game. If it turns out good, it will get shat on. If it turns out bad, it will get shat on.

Such a shame really.

Why would it get shat on if it's good? I'm sure it will be a very competent open world action game.

My real worry is the mission design and how repetitive it might be.

HowZatOZ

Banned

They explained the reputation system last week:
In Watch Dogs, the city is your weapon, but its citizens have their own opinions on how you use that weapon. Those opinions can be monitored via the game’s reputation meter, which is based directly on your actions. If you are more reckless – harming innocents, driving like a madman – the people of Chicago won’t look upon you favorably. Nor will the media; they’ll start running Aiden’s face more, referring to him as a menace. On the other hand, a more conscientious Aiden will be received with cautious optimism.
Can read more on it here.

Hasney

Why would it get shat on if it's good? I'm sure it will be a very competent open world action game.

My real worry is the mission design and how repetitive it might be.

Yeah, I'm glad I'm not hyped for it at all yet have it ready after the ridiculously cheap India pre-order. Ready to be pleasantly surprised, but it may take some positive impressions to pull me away from Final Fantasy XIV.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
It's more or less like Red Dead Redemption. People are likely to call the cops for anything if you have a bad reputation. Regarding the missions, you are actually encouraged to play it smart and limit the mayhem because it can get pretty hard at times. Dealing with crowds of thugs maximising the use of hacks, keeping to the shadows as long as you can and having a plan to escape set beforehand helps a lot.

That sounds alright. As long as I'm not kept from rewards just because I felt like having some crazy fun every now and then. Just being more likely to get a wanted rating sounds fair enough. I actually never did anything bad in RDR. The way the game felt I never had the desire to play it that way so I never even experienced what it was like to have a bad reputation. Watch Dogs seems more in line with GTA gameplay though so I'll probably have a desire to just cause some chaos every now and then. Mission wise I'm fine with doing a somewhat stealthy approach, but every now and then outside of a mission I probably am going to feel a desire to have some crazy fun ala GTA.

rashbeep

Banned

This is spot on. You can really notice it from the spotlight (present in both the 2012 and the leaked 2014 footage).

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I asked this in another thread, sorry for asking again but does anyone know if it's possible to put the mini map on the left corner instead? It just looks so off to me on the right.

Great OP.

No doubt, if it hasn't already, it'll turn to shit in no time.

Probably best to avoid anything to do with Watch_Dogs on Gaf.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

If you're a bad enough vigilante, some civilians will literally just call the cops on you even if you're just walking by unarmed. Pretty cool A.I.

Hoje0308

Banned
You can add me on UPlay. I will be playing W_D on PC and Tablet (Companion App) and my UPlay nick is woodexx

Crap, I should have specified which platform I'm on.

PS4, PSN ID: Wendel_T_Stamps

PSN: Assassio.

Cool, I'll add you.

That literally makes no difference about if cars handle well.

Maybe they kept whatever physics system they designed for the cars in place and then made modifications. If so, it could at least have a similar feel. Of course, this is all based on a giant assumption.

Linius

Its not that bad....Until you try to uninstal a game...Dun Dun DUHHH!

The main gripe I have (as with Origin) is you have no share/Family option so my kids cannot play on there account on a game I bought, Consoles and Steam allow this with no issue..Come on Ubi.EA sort that out.

But just do what I do and add all games to steam anyway!

I pre-ordered an Uplay key, I can add that on steam as well? And what would be the advantage of doing that? I'll be the only one playing the game so if it's only about sharing that doesn't really matter to me :p

Namikaze1

So, are we gonna post our online ID's so that we can pile into the back of a pickup truck and shoot old ladies in the face together?

Or other players. We don't have to limit ourselves to old ladies.
Lol. If the free-roam is as fun as GTAV's, I'm in. PSN: namikaze1. Oh yeah, PS4 version btw.

R_Deckard

I pre-ordered an Uplay key, I can add that on steam as well? And what would be the advantage of doing that? I'll be the only one playing the game so if it's only about sharing that doesn't really matter to me :p

No if you link it into steam then you can still friend up etc within steam, the Uplay Client is still running but you don't need to use it for Contacts etc, just for the DRM side of the game.

Linius

No if you link it into steam then you can still friend up etc within steam, the Uplay Client is still running but you don't need to use it for Contacts etc, just for the DRM side of the game.

Oh I see, then I won't have to manage another friends list. With Steam and Origin already in play it's enough as it is :O

Daffy Duck

Cannot wait for Tuesday to finally have this game. Looking forward to blasting through the singleplayer game.

Would be nice if Amazon (with Pime) got my order to me on Saturday, what with the UK bank holiday and all.

Maybe they kept whatever physics system they designed for the cars in place and then made modifications. If so, it could at least have a similar feel. Of course, this is all based on a giant assumption.

Well, firstly the engine wasn't built specifically with a game like Driver in mind. It's a mixture of Ubisoft's inhouse engines Anvill & some tech from Dunia. Most driving games have dedicated vehicle handling teams working on the handling models.

So even if the initial premise was to create a new Driver, they could of easily ripped out that work a long time ago, or re-purposed it later on. It's never a case of ''if it started as a driving game in mind, means the driving is definitely good''. Things change over the course of 5+ year development cycles.

Hoje0308

Banned
Well, firstly the engine wasn't built specifically with a game like Driver in mind. It's a mixture of Ubisoft's inhouse engines Anvill & some tech from Dunia. Most driving games have dedicated vehicle handling teams working on the handling models.

So even if the initial premise was to create a new Driver, they could of easily ripped out that work a long time ago, or re-purposed it later on. It's never a case of ''if it started as a driving game in mind, means the driving is definitely good''. Things change over the course of 5+ year development cycles.

Yeah, I really didn't think my position through.

Yeah, I really didn't think my position through.

I think it's just a common misconception about game development. I mean, Ubisoft Reflections helped out on Watch Dogs, the team that made the Driver series. You would think that they would have a part in the car handling right? Well, has that actually ever been confirmed? Or is it a general assumption people have made, because 'it makes sense' for them to work on that?

Top Bottom