• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

anyway a world exclusive can't be totally honest.. i doubt if the game worth 8, they ll assume to publish it like that.

since i finished infamous, i never turned on my PS4 again and i only play with my XB1, i need to buy this game day one to save my PS4 ^^

yeah exclusive reviews tend to be a bit overscored :p. But still nice to see a high score.

fasTRapid

Banned
Watch_Dogs very falt
Doge approves this review.
Although I dunno what falt's supposed to mean...

Sadly I'm ████ allowed ██ contribute ████████ in any ██████.
████████████████████
SET TERMINATE CONNECTION: “True“_

sjay1994

You should probably go look in the thread about ubisoft giving nexus 7s to journos at the preview event. I believe a British journalist called the game wank. Some gaffers who have played the game also complained about performance issues. Finally, we did have a review drop early and it wasn't to positive. Research first, I'm just passing along the info.

How can a new IP be critically acclaimed? It has no history and it can only win awards after its been reviewed and released. Being best of show at e3 doesn't count.

Finally the downgrade is significant. It is probably the biggest downgrade I've ever had the displeasure of seeing. Ubisoft has a history when it comes to downgrades so why are you defending them and supporting an embarrassing practice?

You realize that British journo never played watch dogs at all? And was just taking the piss at ubisoft and nexus gate?

WJD

Don't think my purchase of a game has ever been so reliant on reviews before. Hoping to be surprised.

ttocs

So is the PC version going to be marginally better than the console versions or is it going to blow it away. I'm trying to decide if I want to play this on my couch or at the computer (which is less comfortable.) If the graphics are a lot better with my 760 - then I'll play it there. Anyone know of any links or articles that compare the two (I know it's still early but I want to preorder.)

hwy_61

Banned
So is the PC version going to be marginally better than the console versions or is it going to blow it away. I'm trying to decide if I want to play this on my couch or at the computer (which is less comfortable.) If the graphics are a lot better with my 760 - then I'll play it there. Anyone know of any links or articles that compare the two (I know it's still early but I want to preorder.)

Just wait for GAF impressions. I'm sure you'll get your answer on release day.

His account was hacked by Ubisoft.
m-night-shyamalan.jpg

KoHBVVW.jpg

I'm sorry it needed to escape from my head.

Newline

Well i'm buying it for my PC as i'm pretty sure it's going to have at least an average bump. At the very least we should get the console graphics but at a solid 1080p / 60fps. I'm also currently in the steam home streaming beta so i'll be able to stream the game to my living room TV when I feel like some couch gaming.

Regarding the Jeuxvideo review, I seriously cannot understand how a game receives 19/20 or 9.5/10, when there are such negative remarks on its story.

Watchdogs is supposed to be focusing on its single player portion, so I dont understand how having a ridiculous scenario and poor story, only costs 0.5 points in a scale of 10.

Does it sounds ridiculous to anyone else, or is it just me?

According to jeuxvideo, it looks as if storytelling is worth only 0.5 points in a videogame...
Well i'm buying it solely for the gameplay, much like GTA V or most other open world games I purchase. As long as the story moves the game along without getting in the way i'll be happy.

valkyre

Regarding the Jeuxvideo review, I seriously cannot understand how a game receives 19/20 or 9.5/10, when there are such negative remarks on its story.

Watchdogs is supposed to be focusing on its single player portion, so I dont understand how having a ridiculous scenario and poor story, only costs 0.5 points in a scale of 10.

According to jeuxvideo, it looks as if storytelling is worth only 0.5 points in a videogame...

MJLord

Welcome to points based review systems. Just read the review.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yep, this is exactly what's happening. I love Neogaf in general, but the thing I hate is the undercurrent of negativity. It's a good thing to be a critical consumer, but lots of people get more entertainment from irrational hate. Look at the recent thread about a Crytek manager making an innocuous statement about RAM limitations. Just look at discussions about David Cage's games. Or Ninja Theory's DMC game.
It seems that cynicism is rather popular these days when it comes to gaming, I sometimes think it's due to the rising popularity of reviewers like Yahtzee or TotalBiscuit. It can get alittle bit grating sometimes, at the very least people should double check their facts when being overly negative or critical because otherwise misinformation spreads like wildfire.

P.S.
1.David Cage negativity is justified since he's actually terrible at his job as a game designer and as a storyteller and can't even get the simple act of walking to feel natural in a any of his video "games." I mean seriously, he once said that the player getting a game over screen is a failure of the game designer, which is an insult to basically the entire history of classic gaming.
2.DmC is an awesome H/S game with not only great unique level design but also very deep mechanics that require more creativity than use of jump canceling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQJarQmSXVQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEZYvlStYzI

What i feel strange is reducing score for a bad story in a videogame!. If so Mario games would never get scores greater than 5/10. Videogames IMO should only be reviewed for the enternainment provided. And in certain cases the game gives you that entertainment through a compelling story. That´s the exception, not the rule.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Easy PC. Cheaper and should outperform PS4 on that setup.

Shame you missed out on the ridiculous region-switching deals.

I would never dare do those region switching things. Are they safe?

I dont like to do anything i feels dodgy lol I suppose the nature of the game would have inspired me to hack the internets :D

Why should a game get a lower core for a ridiculous premise? If that were the case every zombie should automatically start with 1-2 points knocked off. Gamers aren't real life you have to make the narrative fit the mechanics or the game can't exist.

I really LOVE good stories in games but it's so rare to have really good ones. A story in a game, I see it mostly as a sort of glue that holds everything together just for the package of it.

Kinda like Pacific Rim. Story was paper-thin but just enough to hold up the main premise of the movie which was ''Giant robots VS Giant monsters''.

To me it's the same with Watch Dogs.

Thinking of switching from PS4 to PC, but do we know the state of controller support, and how badly the game might perform on AMD cards?

Hasney

I would never dare do those region switching things. Are they safe?

I dont like to do anything i feels dodgy lol I suppose the nature of the game would have inspired me to hack the internets :D

I think the only new release game I've bought from the UK in the past 5 years is from Nintendo. Getting a bit harder now Steam has gotten region locking at the run-time level, but I've been perfectly fine region switching on Steam, Origin and PS4 for years.

Thinking of switching from PS4 to PC, but do we know the state of controller support, and how badly the game might perform on AMD cards?

Based on Ubis track record, controller support will be great, the game may perform badly no matter what card due to Ubis optimisations. Depends on the card.

ImNotOnline2Day

Neo Member
Got to admit, since the delay last year I have become less and less hyped for this game, but the past few days I have suddenly become super excited again. Love the Assassin Creed games so can't wait for this! :D

valkyre

What i feel strange is reducing score for a bad story in a videogame!. If so Mario games would never get scores greater than 5/10. Videogames IMO should only be reviewed for the enternainment provided. And in certain cases the game gives you that entertainment through a compelling story. That´s the exception, not the rule.
Why should a game get a lower core for a ridiculous premise? If that were the case every zombie should automatically start with 1-2 points knocked off. Gamers aren't real life you have to make the narrative fit the mechanics or the game can't exist.

Guys, no, that is not the same...

I never said that storytelling should have a FIXED % of points in a scale of 10, and if not met, it would result in the deduction on its overal score.

What I say is that depending on what kind of game you play, you should review it accordingly.

You wont go through a Mario game expecting to have heavy storytelling such as Last of Us! You wont judge it mainly for this, nor should you deduct points from it because of that.

Similarly you cant expect a heavy story driven game like Heavy Rain to focus on shooting and be judged with the likes of Gears of War or Uncharted shooting mechanics.

What I ask is simple logic. Sometimes people tend to look at things either black or white, when in fact, most times the truth is mostly grey.

As such, Watchdogs gave me the impression of a story driven open world game. Its story looked as if it was one of its big selling points. Not the biggest or the only one, but it is kind of disappointing to hear that the story of such a game is sub par. And since it is a game that focused on its single player story driven campaign, I can only see 2 options regarding the 19/20 jeuxvideo review:

a) The game is so utterly awesome in every other aspect that it eclipses the sub par story (even though it is an important advertised selling point of watchdogs)

b) Jeuxvideo doesnt give as much credit to storytelling in such games as they should.

aravuus

It's just that kind of game, imo.

I absolutely adored Far Cry 3 too, would easily rate it 9/10 but the story was absolutely utter shit. I just care very little about the story in most open-world games like this.

Having only seen some snippets of gameplay and screenshots and knowing nothing about the gameplay for this game , can someone sell the concept idea of this game to me

Top Bottom