• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Xyber

I am almost tearing up here. This is why I play games. I don't think I have ever seen any game look better.

http://a.pomf.se/plweeh.webm

What's your secret to getting rid of the square that pops up when you take out the phone? I just can't get any nice screens without that thing in the middle messing up the entire image. :(

Do you just have to be really fast and get a shot before it appears or is there some secret way of getting rid of it?

Damn, that sounds awesome. True Detective up in this bitch.

al-roker-matt-lauer-fist-bump.gif

I don't mind limited transportation options, so long as the ones they have are really good and realistic.

My biggest problem with GTA 5 is that the vehicles all seem really fake and expendable. I never have that feeling like I must drive carefully. I just hit the pedal to the floor and tear through parks, mailboxes and people like nothing. But then, that game sorta promotes it.

Convinced I bugged the game within the first 20 minutes. Finished the intro mission, was asked to leave the motel and profile people to find potential crimes... spent 2 hours trying to find a potential crime in and around the hideout area. No one was being shady, other than me.

zlatko

Banned
For Multi i think you can invite in Free Roam only. Not sure about the other modes.

That works.

Anyone know the pre reqs to unlocking free roam or is it on the main menu as a different option aside from the single player?

Also, in free roam how many people are dumped in? Would it be 16 total, 8 total, what if anything can we do together?

I really do thing Ubi did a poor job marketing and explaining the MP of this game.

Andrew.

Banned
Jesus.

It'd be great if you can find things like that in the world and then follow up on them. Like, you find the victim and then essentially become a detective using ctOS to hunt down a creepy serial killer. Would make a great DLC. Constantly rainy Chicago, a lone vigilante prowling the streets, hunting down a deranged murderer who is always one step ahead.

Not That Much Of A Spoiler:
You do. That is basically the beginning of a sidequest of finding out why these people are missing and then murdered.

Vire

For people who have the game, is there anything in it that is as dynamic as what they showed in the PS4 2013 demo?

http://youtu.be/6LZM3_wp2ps

For instance, stopping and starting a moving train to get away as part of the mission structure?

skynidas

Banned
What's your secret to getting rid of the square that pops up when you take out the phone? I just can't get any nice screens without that thing in the middle messing up the entire image. :(

Do you just have to be really fast and get a shot before it appears or is there some secret way of getting rid of it?

i think if you press or hold square the thing goes away

Meanwhile, a bunch of school children are murdering its user score on Metacritic about "downgrading". It's really sad to see the current state of game culture.

Uhhhh, I'd bet a fair number of those "school children" are Gaffers. Some people in this community have gone after Ubisoft with a vengeance over this issue.

Kinthalis

Banned
I have some questions:

1. Does the PC version play well on a KB/M? Or should I use the DS4?
2. Or should I just get the PS4 version?
3. How much "freedom" do you have compared to GTA5?
4. Can you commit crimes at-will? Are their "GTA SUPER-COPS" that magically track you down on land-sea-air?
5. Can you own property/get a job/mod vehicles/etc....?

I'm thinking of getting this game, but I want more freedom/options/opportunities than Infamous:SS. I have a decent PC and a PS4, so the platform is also a question.

Thanks.

1. Serviceable, but lacks consistency. There are menus where the game forces your mouse to act like an analog stick. BAD design. I would recommend a gamepad. Xbox 360 pad works great, you can use your DS4, if you've got the 3rd party drivers figured out. I'm still waiting for MS to release drivers for the Xbox one gamepads. They said "soon".

2. Up to you. Depending on your specs it might run/look better on PC. Gameplay wise they are identical.

3. NEver played GTA V.

4. No. People cna call the cops on you. You might be able to intimidate them into hanging up though ;) Also cops take a little time to get to you. You cna avoid their scans. Even if you fail at that, you can avoid being caught in a number of ways. Running away, hiding, pretending to surrender, etc.

5. Don't think so. But I'm only a little ways in. The hideouts so far, for me, are a motel room and an abandoned storage container :)

Kinthalis

Banned
For people who have the game, is there anything in it that is as dynamic as what they showed in the PS4 2013 demo?

For instance, stopping and starting a moving train to get away as part of the mission structure?

Hmmmm.. I was able to evade the cops once by runnign to a train station, getting on the train and I think I hacked it to make it go, but I'm not sure. It was pretty hectic.

SJRB

Gold Member

Sure. You can hack trains to stop and start at any time. In fact, I used that exact strategy to get away, it's super convenient.

The roadblock, the freerunning, L-train hacking. This video is a perfect representation of the gameplay, everything you see made it in the final game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
at this point, if the uplay download finishes, lets me activate the deluxe stuff, and play, I will be able to adhere to my cardinal rule of not letting factors external to the gameplay experience influence my impressions of a game. if I finish downloading the entire thing for the second time, using the second of two services I don't want in the first place, and have any further issues, ubisoft loses its benefit of the doubt from me :(

Kinda hate that they get away from the stealth stuff later on in the game. I'm doing a whole lot of shooting people in the face now.
Use a silenced pistol and run and hide everytime you blast someone

Like GTA, sometimes a mission will task you with getting away from the police. This is absolutely doable, except there are not many places that you can parkour up to the top of the train. You have to get in the train

Vire

Okay that's really great to hear, I was concerned some of the ambitions in gameplay were compromised, but I think I'm going to pick it up tomorrow morning.

Thanks ya'll.

Carbonox

Sure. You can hack trains to stop and start at any time. In fact, I used that exact strategy to get away, it's super convenient.

The roadblock, the freerunning, L-train hacking. This video is a perfect representation of the gameplay, everything you see made it in the final game.

Speaking of freerunning, does that work like in AC where you hold one button down and you automatically traverse bits of environment you're allowed to?

Man reading all these comments is getting me excited for tomorrow.

BashNasty

At least that one guy up there insinuating games need to be 60FPS to give a shit. I don't know how my eyes are intact all these years playing the majority of games below 60. Miracles do happen.

Yea, people get way, way to hung up about details like this (at least on GAF, in real life no one does). For a big, good-looking complex game like this, a consistent 30fps and 900p is fine. Complaining about 30 as opposed to 60fps I can understand at times, but if you really have your panties in a bunch about the game being 900p... I dunno, that's some crazy shit to get worked up over.

OrangeOak

What AA do you guys prefer?
I was using SMAA and switched to TXAAx2 just to check how it compares and now I don't know what I like more :). TXAA looks nice but it is a little blurry don't you think?

Speaking of freerunning, does that work like in AC where you hold one button down and you automatically traverse bits of environment you're allowed to?

R2 is for a normal run, if you press r2+O you enter in the freerunning mode

Andrew.

Banned

Yeah, except you hold down a trigger and the circle or B button and you will free run and climb. Is that how they still do it in Creed?

SJRB

Gold Member

It's not like AC where you can climb up buildings and shit, but yeah. Press R2 to run, keep O pressed to vault over objects and climb ledges. The whole animation system is super fluent, it's awesome to run through traffic and see the guy dynamically dodge cars and slide over car hoods and stuff like that.

There's a lot of detail in the animations where he sidesteps around cars and other objects, it's pretty amazing.

Dennis

Banned

I use the magic of Photoshop to remove the square from my screenshots.

IM running fraps, and its telling me my frame rate is constantly 30 fps. When i turn v-sync off, it goes higher, but vsync on and refresh rate at 60 are capping the frame rate at 30fps for me,

Im playing on a TV, if that matters, and have gotten 60fps steady on metro on ultra...soooooo idk

JLeack

Banned
Uhhhh, I'd bet a fair number of those "school children" are Gaffers. Some people in this community have gone after Ubisoft with a vengeance over this issue.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, I don't meant that anyone with someone negative to say is immature. I'm just seeing a lot of 0s and 1s for the game which argue that the game's "downgradeation" is reason for the impossibly low score.

It's definitely juvenile.

Kinthalis

Banned
What AA do you guys prefer?
I was using SMAA and switched to TXAAx2 just to check how it compares and now I don't know what I like more :). TXAA looks nice but it is a little blurry don't you think?

SMAA temporal is probably the best combination of performance and quality. TXAA is a bit better but people either don't mind or hate the blur, and it's more taxing on the system. I usually prefer TXAA 4x in games where I can get away with it because it basically completely removes any jaggies anywhere. It's like watching a film.

But SMAA with a temporal filter is the next best thing, IMHO.

lem0n

What am I supposed to do, GAF? Do we love or hate this game?

Some people are still grasping at their hate straws, but most normal people that are actually trying out say it's pretty good. Nothing world changing, but that's not the point. So far, on PS4, it's been very fun and I will be playing for more than a few hours today. I just enjoy open world games.

J-P

Neo Member
How is it possible that in 2014 a AAA game is released that has a team based online VS mode but you aren't able to team up with friends?? Ridiculous.

Edit: God i hope Revolutionary is right and you can.....

Was watching a friend playing this earlier on PC. He runs an i5-2500K at 4.5 GHz with an overclocked HD 7850 and 16 GB of RAM. He was running the game at a pretty solid 30 fps with high preset settings and temporal SMAA at 1080p. He even said that he could push a few of the graphics settings higher if he wished, but all ultra makes the game dip under 30 frequently. That being said, it seems like performance isn't too bad after all and as I run a near identical setup to him at least my worries of a game that wouldn't hit my standards performance wise are gone. I'd like to play it at 60 fps like I've played most other open world games of the past few years on my PC, but Ubisoft PC games and optimisation never go hand in hand these days. I played GTA IV's PC version at 30 fps a few years back so I'd live.

That being said, the game still doesn't look all that visually stunning at those settings. The only time it looks nice is at night with rain like many here have said, and in my opinion it just doesn't shine anywhere else. I think the setting of the game doesn't help either, Chicago doesn't have the same sort of visual expression and colour that GTA V's Los Santos or Sleeping Dogs' Hong Kong has, and they both just feel more fun to roam around in than this game.

As for the game itself, I played around briefly and controls are mostly fine (was playing on a DS4 through DS4Tool). Driving controls are a bit iffy at first but I have no doubt that I'd get used to them over time like I have with any open world game.

I just couldn't shake the overall feeling that the game was lacking though. It all seemed very sterile and boring with little to no personality and character, which is something that lures me into open world games for some reason. The missions and hacking seem fun at first, but I'm not sure whether the novelty of hitting a button to hack everything will lose its novelty over time. And as the story seems bog standard and not particularly memorable, I'm not sure I'd enjoy the experience.

The only thing that stood out was the craziness of the digital trips and a few funny NPC profiles, but they seem to be the only thing that breaks away from an otherwise unremarkable open world.

At this stage I'm most probably not going to buy this any time soon. It seems like a game that will be discounted by the time holiday sales roll around, and by that point I might have a better hardware with which to aim for ultra settings at 60 fps to make the game more visually pleasing, so I'd be more happy with a purchase then than now.

Kinthalis

Banned
IM running fraps, and its telling me my frame rate is constantly 30 fps. When i turn v-sync off, it goes higher, but vsync on and refresh rate at 60 are capping the frame rate at 30fps for me,

Im playing on a TV, if that matters, and have gotten 60fps steady on metro on ultra...soooooo idk

Are you sure you aren't limiting the frame rate elsewhere?

Make sure you have vsync 1 frame and max pre rendered frames to 3.

OrangeOak

SMAA temporal is probably the best combination of performance and quality. TXAA is a bit better but people either don't mind or hate the blur, and it's more taxing on the system. I usually prefer TXAA 4x in games where I can get away with it because it basically completely removes any jaggies anywhere. It's like watching a film.

But SMAA with a temporal filter is the next best thing, IMHO.

OK thanks.I will try SMAA temporal but is there ghosting effect from temporal filter?

Carbonox

It's not like AC where you can climb up buildings and shit, but yeah. Press R2 to run, keep O pressed to vault over objects and climb ledges. The whole animation system is super fluent, it's awesome to run through traffic and see the guy dynamically dodge cars and slide over car hoods and stuff like that.

There's a lot of detail in the animations where he sidesteps around cars and other objects, it's pretty amazing

animation1dfg2zq7g.gif

This makes me happy.

OK so I played the first hour and I'm really digging it. The only issue I'm having is my DS4 is not vibrating at all. I've toggled it on and off but it doesn't matter. Is anybody else having this issue? It works fine with all my other games so I know it's not the controller.

Top Bottom