• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Anyone find any footage on Youtube of a player who IS BEING tailed? does he get notified? I must know.

Ubisoft should NOT ALLOW any Tailing notifications all together until the tail is complete (dont even notify the player if the tail was lost) ONLY notify if the player spots the Tail.

I think it would be an amazing mindblow if I was driving to a mission only to see it locked because I'm being tailed and I never knew it. I'D GO INTO A GOSH DARN FULL PANIC. jaja

Gaz_RB

Lupe Fiasco - Day and Night is in the game as an unlockable track.

Kid Cudi you mean?

Anyone find any footage on Youtube of a player who IS BEING tailed? does he get notified? I must know.

Ubisoft should NOT ALLOW any Tailing notifications all together until the tail is complete (dont even notify the player if the tail was lost) ONLY notify if the player spots the Tail.

I think it would be an amazing mindblow if I was driving to a mission only to see it locked because I'm being tailed and I never knew it. I'D GO INTO A GOSH DARN FULL PANIC. jaja

The player is not made aware. You're supposed to feel paranoid all the time.

rnaud

After a few first hours with the game, I'm in awe. I feel like it's the first time that a city feels real in an open world game for me.

I'm not a fan of Batman's voice for Aiden, but that will have to do. The city feels alive and that's really impressive to me.

Sojgat

Had to force myself to take a break.

Barely touched the story, but I've been playing since late yesterday. There are some rough edges, but the various open world activities are pretty much what I've always wanted from this type of game. Stealth, stealth, stealth. So much fun.

Wait, after you get hacked by someone who invaded your game, do you still have to chase them down and kill them, or is it over once they've successfully hacked you?

Chitown B

such a bummer they didn't get the modern wing of the art insitute right, nor cover the rest of the build/train tracks.

i wonder if there was some copyright reason for not having crown fountain be correct (or even close to correct)

yeah I wondered about a lot of that. Like the face fountains - they're not the faces or walls.

Dominator

Allmost all of the outfits you can buy are absolutely horrid. It'd be fine if you could combine your own, but for every nice coat theres always a wonky hat or ridiculous shoes that are a dealbreaker.
I actually just purchased all of the clothing because I had a ton of money to spare, and yeah, there are only a few that actually look good. It was around 70k for everything if I can recall correctly. But I don't know if different stores have different clothing, I just went into one and bought everything there.

Liberty4all

Banned
A few comments.

I never really got into Saints Row and the GTA series I really didn't like ... Not sure why i never got into GTA. The last one I'll admit I enjoyed alot more than the one before that but i found the map little overwhelming.

This game on the other hand is completely drawing me in. I've never played an assassin creed game and its been years since i played Splinter Cell so maybe that's why. Ubisofts game "systems" are all new to me.

OrangeOak

I am 20 minutes into the gameplay but have played 20 hours. That gotta say something about the quality of the game.

You have fall asleep during mission and game kept running?
I am too not far in story(3-4 missions) but I played it about 9 hours now :p

Really dumb that the cops don't shoot gangsters and thugs that are shooting at you, they are literally on a team vs you if they arrive. Dumb.
Every load screen I see (and that initial load is Ryse levels of long) reminds you that cops will sometimes shoot at criminals so you can play both sides against each other. Not seeing it though, huh?

Have only played for about two hours, mostly spent roaming around and getting a handle on things. Some spoiler free impressions:

* In daylight and clear conditions the city looks last gen with better IQ. GTA5 definitely blows this game out of the water, from a great height, across the board. But it does come together nicely at night and in the rain.

* The mirror in the bathroom of your safe-house doesn't show your reflection. Wut?

* I haven't heard one good music track yet, but at least you can listen to music at anytime via your phone (not just in the car), and edit your phone's music playlist. Once I find a decent song I'll maybe add one.

* Speaking of music, the game has the memory of a goldfish. If you turn off the music in your car, and stop the car and restart it, or exit and jump back in the music will be playing again, and it won't even be the same track that was just on.

* I heard am ambulance behind me with the sirens on so I figured I'd chase it and see where it led me. Nowhere it turns out. Just a random sequence of sharp turns as it slammed into other cars and poles.

* I love that the game included first person driving, but you can't look to your left, and can only look the shortest distance forward to the right. Zero peripherals. None. Just you zoomed in to your windscreen with a bit of blurred out dash and your hand on the wheel. Complete tunnel vision with no real effects when accelerating and braking and jumping. I doubt I'm going to use this much, unless I know I'll never have to look to my sides, which is just about never.

* I hacked a scissors-lift thing to get up on to a roof which was funny, and once I was on the roof I saw a ladder that I could use to go down the other side. Now, as a longtime video game player I know there are few things trickier and deadlier in all of gaming than trying to discover how to go down a ladder. I kept looking for some sweet spot nearby with some contextual prompt, but nope. Nothing. Not along the entire edge. And there was no magnetism to keep me from walking off either, which I did, very easily. Luckily this was onto another roof about eight feet below. From there I had a "climb" prompt next to the ladder, no problem. So I climb back up and try again. No dice. I just walk right off. So I say screw it and head for the sidewalk below from this lower roof, and all along the edge I'm given the option to "Climb down".

So, lesson learned: You get a contextual prompt to climb down from a roof only when there isn't a ladder nearby, which you can't use either. Oh, and if you punch the button when prompted to climb down? It just walks you right off the roof as if you just decided to not hit the button and walk off your self.

Yes, this game is confusing me with its inconsistency.

* I love the profiler random things, and car delivery, and the small touch of pulling your scarf up over your face when entering a restricted area or pulling out a weapon.

* Motorcycles are fun to drive, but everybody freaks out when you go fast, even when you're not driving crazy.

* I messed up and got spotted in a restricted area, and holy fucking bullet hell Batman, I was getting gunned down from a half dozen different directions before the guy who spotted me could finish his "hey, get outta here" sentence. Wow. I was dead in two seconds flat. Next time I do my sneaking I'm going to be fully ready to go with Rambo action because there was zero time to react.

* Once you spend your first skill point the game immediately gives you five skill points, which was a little weird but OK. So I spend them all on the different hacking skills, only to find out that hacking is only one slice of a much larger skill tree. Saw no undo button. Fuck. But hey, I'm a hacker after all, so its far from the end of the world.

* I look forward to experimenting with mayhem in the city. So there's definitely that :)

WoolyNinja

Definitely don't understand peoples dislike of the driving. I feel like its some of the best in an open world yet. Different cars handle differently, but they all handle as I'd expect.

Good stuff so far!

painey

godamn.. twice I did a convoy mission, rammed the car off the road (you can't do drive-bys?) and took down the guy, but then get killed by his buddies because the game is very particular about where you have to stand to get in the car. annoyed.

jadedm17

After a few first hours with the game, I'm in awe. I feel like it's the first time that a city feels real in an open world game for me.

I'm not a fan of Batman's voice for Aiden, but that will have to do. The city feels alive and that's really impressive to me.
Seeing NPCs randomly kicking a soccerball in an alley or rapping together on a street corner makes me feel that too.

Definitely don't understand peoples dislike of the driving. I feel like its some of the best in an open world yet. Different cars handle differently, but they all handle as I'd expect.

Good stuff so far!
I haven't tried enough to notice the variety, but I have gotten into several spins that I couldn't seem to counter with opposite lock. Seems like once you start spinning, you're fucked.

I will free roam quite a bit though, so I'll take some notes ;p

Good stuff so far!

It isn't bad by any means but I still prefer the GTA games for car handling. The motorbike is pretty fun and responsive but other cars such as compacts have a fair bit of input lag, which makes is hard to swerve as it doesn't react quick enough.

I like hitting the hand break around corners and slide the car but I'm finding it hard to do.

I think the world has too much things going around, you're always bumping into things on the street, maybe they should have added more open spaces.

Jobbs

Banned
First impressions:

- Graphics good, but strangely not a great leap better than GTA5, at least how I remember GTA5, although the framerate is more stable than that game

- Why is there no blood at all? Shooting feels kind of weak

- The inability to shoot while driving makes the "you must take this person down" missions annoying. Either let me shoot or don't make me chase and take down moving cars. Especially since hitting the car so hard *that it flips* doesn't even buy me enough time to get out and shoot it. It just keeps going.

- Hacking is a fun angle to the game and helps make it seem different from GTA

- Why can't I melee when out walking around? Sometimes I see someone who needs a slap. Is this a continuation of Ubisoft's AC4 fascination with disallowing the player to attack unless they decide it's the right context, or am I just missing something?

- Escaping police seems too annoying, on the very first mission I think I spent 10 minutes doing laps around town trying to lose them.

Sojgat

Good stuff so far!

Totally agree. Vehicles have real momentum to them. I'm guessing this is where people are getting the feeling of being out of control. Using focus in tight situations helps a lot, it's even more forgiving than Franklin's power in GTAV.

Gaz_RB

God I fucking love tailing. I don't even silently follow them anymore. I just fuck with them. They'll be profiling some pedestrians and I'll just start sniping the pedestrians. He'll be driving and I'll come out of nowhere and wreck him with a fire truck. I'll just start grenade launching every car but his. They get soo confused

RyudBoy

I only did 2 campaign missions so far. Spent the rest of the time just checking out the city, tackled a few baddies, and played that alien mini-game shooter. It sucked lol.

Xenon

it kinda has part of it.

Yeah I saw that. A lot of the landmarks are there, just all mixed up in a weird hybrid of a Chicago and New York land mass. I just wish they included LSD and the lake.

Edit: spent 3+ hours screwing around and having a blast.

Got it on Xbox One. Really liking it so far.

Like someone said earlier in this thread, it's got that special something. The open world feels great and the range of options for losing police and taking on missions are keeping me hooked. Played for around 3 hours last night and now I can't stop thinking about the game! Lots of stuff I could nitpick (the lack of reflection from the mirror in my hideout for instance) but overall, I'm happy.

antonz

Now that I have gotten a decent amount of hours into the game have to say for a first entry in a new franchise it really is a good game. Story really isn't that bad either it comes across as a summer blockbuster style story and it works yet so many claim its weak and terrible in reviews.

None of its flaws are major enough to make any specific part of the game a chore or anything. Next game has amazing potential now that they have the framework laid out. Ubisoft could spend a little more money though and get a decent soundtrack for the radio. Only found like 2 songs I could tolerate and with all the driving that is not enough

Phionoxx

For those playing on PC, how often have you been tailed or hacked? I've played for more than 6 hours now and have never been tailed and have been hacked 3 times. I've had a bounty multiple times, and didn't get an invasion at all with the bounty active. Kinda wish there was a way to get invaded more. Really want to be tailed too - I guess maybe I have been but was never notified? Not sure.

SRTtoZ

Put a solid 4 hours in tonight, only on the first couple of campaign missions and loving it. One neat thing is you end up getting many hideouts and they are pretty cool the way its all setup. Love those little touches.

mrqs

I've played something like 6 hours and... Well, not impressed. The gameplay mechanics are great and the shooting is pretty amazing (really), but the game overall lacks personality. The characters and story lack something to make them interesting. The soundtrack is indeed horrific and totally uninspired.

And holy damn, how can a game that had so much of dev time INCLUDING a last minute delay be so buggy? The game isn't bad, but i'm indeed frustrated.

jaosobno

OK, am I the only one that thinks that night time in this game doesn't look particularly special? Looks definitely better than daytime because the game looks less washed out, but still, it's kinda shitty. I'm talking about PS4 version here.

Overall, the game features some nice lighting here and there, but at its core, it's an upscaled last gen game.

Graphics aside, I find WD incredibly fun to play. I had some ambitions to platinum this game, but after seeing the requirements, no way. That would take at least 60-70 hours.

And one more question, how is the multiplayer? Uplay was down yesterday so I couldn't try it.

So I finally have a few hours in this game. What I take away the most is that I want GTA5 on PC/current gen. This world can be gorgeous, but mostly feels dead to me. I can't explain it. I never get that feeling in GTA5. The "hacking" stuff, aka jumping from camera to camera, is actually quite fun though.

spoilers so if you haven't completed the game please don't read ahead. The writing is absolutely inconsistent and it's lazy so how was the game rated well?

your ex partner Damien makes a secret deal with the company behind CToS for access to the system but the company representative wanted information that he wasn't able to provide and somehow he manages to unlock it completely without them? Why bother with the deal in the first place?
The Clara angle was obvious the second she appeared
Throughout the story Aiden goes on about his kidnapped sister and after she's rescued he doesn't mention it to Clara?
The locations constantly reused (Iraq)
The disappearance of bedbug?
Dedsec went absolutely nowhere
Aidens voice is a batman knock off

Dead

well not really...yet
Wow I don't think any open world city has ever felt as alive and immersive as this. I just spent 5 minutes walking, hands in my pocket, through the city observing. Homeless guy, someone gives money to him, groups conversing, people on their phones, evening turning to night, meanwhile this song "cold night in Chicago" is playing...it all feels so real.

spoilers so if you haven't completed the game please don't read ahead. The writing is absolutely inconsistent and it's lazy so how was the game rated well?

your ex partner Damien makes a secret deal with the company behind CToS for access to the system but the company representative wanted information that he wasn't able to provide and somehow he manages to unlock the system without them?
The Clara angle was obvious the second she appeared
Throughout the story Aiden goes on about his kidnapped sister and after she's rescued he doesn't mention it to Clara?
The locations constantly reused (Iraq)
The disappearance of bedbug?
Dedsec went absolutely nowhere
Aidens voice is a batman knock off

Everyone doesn't share those opinions?

Liberty4all

Banned

Good stuff so far!

I love how the cars feel personally. I love how easy it is as well to side swipe cops into trees/cars/walls etc.

Wow I don't think any open world city has ever felt as alive and immersive as this. I just spent 5 minutes walking, hands in my pocket, through the city observing. Homeless guy, someone gives money to him, groups conversing, people on their phones, evening turning to night, meanwhile this song "cold night in Chicago" is playing...it all feels so real.

Definitely. Just walking around in this game is fantastic.

Top Bottom