• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

i know a few people were having problems with season pass content on ps(3)4, according to chat support it's ubisoft's fault the season pass content doesn't unlock and will be released "in the coming days."

so, yeah....

Wow I don't think any open world city has ever felt as alive and immersive as this. I just spent 5 minutes walking, hands in my pocket, through the city observing. Homeless guy, someone gives money to him, groups conversing, people on their phones, evening turning to night, meanwhile this song "cold night in Chicago" is playing...it all feels so real.

Exactly. And unlike GTA it's not a cartoonish feel. There are times when it truly feels like Chicago.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
So there's no way to pick a favorite radio station? Because Aiden shouldn't be listening to Smashing Pumpkins. The score is fine, but I don't think I've listened to a single licensed song - they just don't fit the mood of this game for me.

I'm really enjoying this game, was up until 3 AM messing about with it. If you like stealth gameplay, it has some interesting twists. Nothing earth-shattering but just cool to play around with.

For instance, you don't get magical 'eagle vision' or 'hitman'instinct' but hack into static and wearable cameras to scope out a place. Hopping for camera to camera is an interesting mechanic and you can set off distractions and traps in this mode.

I also have fun using car stealth to escape police dragnets and actually have more success with it than trying to barrel through the town with screaming sirens behind me. You can hide under bridges from police helicopters, park in garages to let patrol cars pass and even kill the engine and hide under the dash while the cops shine flashlights over you. If it comes together (meaning no AI glitch or instant-fail campaign missions) you'll feel like Ryan Gosling in the opening scene of Driver.

The gunplay is best when you're prepared so you can use environmental traps and cover to your best advantage. When you lose the initiative, it often escalates so fast you barely have time to respond tactically and you're forced to be cover-hugging Rambo while enemies swarm over you. I enjoy it most when setting an ambush for a criminal convoy (if you've seen the excellent movie Ronin, imagine that.) It's at its worst when you fail a stealth run halfway through and the response is unrealistically brutal.

The big sticking point for me is the main character. Not only is he walking videogame cliche to the point of satire (white unshaven man with a glare and a whiskey voice), he acts like an absolute douche throughout and wears the dorkiest designer clothes imaginable, like an anime character magically transported to the gritty real world. Worse than that, he's a prototypical nerd fantasy: super hacker, super ninja, super athelete, super driver, proficient in all firearms, tortured by his past, a lone wolf who is nonethless admired by all he crosses paths with, just ugh.

This game is easy to nitpick and there are rough edges as people have pointed out in this thread. But when everything comes together, it's a blast.

Credit where credit's due, brehs. Yes there's been a downgrade, but the game is still capable of some moody shots.

10397181_141728065521fekz9.jpg

10257628_141729541188j9ker.jpg

10257936_1417295561882euex.jpg

10344217_141729544521dwsca.jpg

10258441_141728953521gfuvz.jpg

10348694_141721712189p5sv1.jpg

God I fucking love tailing. I don't even silently follow them anymore. I just fuck with them. They'll be profiling some pedestrians and I'll just start sniping the pedestrians. He'll be driving and I'll come out of nowhere and wreck him with a fire truck. I'll just start grenade launching every car but his. They get soo confused
I got hacked once, was decent fun, but the stuff you're talking about would drive me to go offline for good. I seriously don't want to deal with that shit when I'm playing. I thought the multiplayer blending was going to be more passive than what you're describing. Can yu only pull that stuff if the player tries to hunt you down? Or can you just start doing random craziness once you enter another player's world? Can you allow for invasions but not the stuff you're describing?

If not, this game needs some kind of halfway point between all or nothing.

In other news the first person driving is growing on me. The handling model does have some subtlety to it. Anybody know of a decent spot to just hoon around and try some tricks without freaking the whole city out?

OrangeOak

Wow I don't think any open world city has ever felt as alive and immersive as this. I just spent 5 minutes walking, hands in my pocket, through the city observing. Homeless guy, someone gives money to him, groups conversing, people on their phones, evening turning to night, meanwhile this song "cold night in Chicago" is playing...it all feels so real.

I feel the same.It is really amazing what have they achieved.There are area specific NPCs too I think so it's always something new as you travel through the map.
I also like trees lol.I think that this are one of the best trees that I have seen in games.

d9b

Banned
OK, am I the only one that thinks that night time in this game doesn't look particularly special? Looks definitely better than daytime because the game looks less washed out, but still, it's kinda shitty. I'm talking about PS4 version here.

Overall, the game features some nice lighting here and there, but at its core, it's an upscaled last gen game.

Graphics aside, I find WD incredibly fun to play. I had some ambitions to platinum this game, but after seeing the requirements, no way. That would take at least 60-70 hours.

And one more question, how is the multiplayer? Uplay was down yesterday so I couldn't try it.
I agree. Fun game, but sadly lacking in graphics department. Visually it's last gen game if you compare it to some other PS4 titles.

There was someone a few pages ago that was complaining on how it's completely inconsistent and difficult to tell if you've gotten out of cover or not.

I'm playing PS4 - Push Circle. Boom - takes you out of cover every single time. X to go into cover, Circle to go out of cover.

As for hacking - I love it, both hacking and getting hacked. Here's a video clip I made where I located a hacker in my game in one minute!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3bASFjyREU

This next part is a spoiler for how I made it through one particular difficult mission segment:

At the end of "Dressed in Peels, you have to escape from the jail. This was super hard for me on Realistic mode. Here's a video of how I finally managed to escape:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12c6s1Xp8Js

Hurley

I fucking love the interior view while driving, especially when going off road, just having your camera bounce all over the place lol, I just wish you could look to the left and right a bit more while using it.

AdanVC

Credit where credit's due, brehs. Yes there's been a downgrade, but the game is still capable of some moody shots.

Excellent screenshots! I think this game has lot's of relaxing attributes. By that I mean you can just walk around and see all the details around you, especially the reactions of people and how they interact. That's something I like to do a lot in open world games and I believe Watch_Dogs captures that pretty well.

Ok I played it all last night when I got home from work. Didn't even stop for a coffee. Seriously addictive.

Graphics were much better than I expected and I have to say the Chicago in Watch Dogs is the most "alive" city I have ever seen in a video game. I'm having more fun than I did playing GTAV already. Controls are just so nice.

There is something going on with the skyscrapers that make the city feel "real" and I can't put my finger on what exactly it is either. When I'm just walking through the streets and looking around they look amazing. Anyone else notice that?!

Piggus

Grr, EA is still having trouble processing pre-orders made using a VPN. The customer service person I talked to said it's caused by a mismatch in the currency/country used to pre-order but that they should have it fixed very soon.

Oh well, considering I got the game for half price I guess I can wait an extra day or two. :p

HowZatOZ

Banned
So there's no way to pick a favorite radio station? Because Aiden shouldn't be listening to Smashing Pumpkins. The score is fine, but I don't think I've listened to a single licensed song - they just don't fit the mood of this game for me.

Go into the media app and create a custom playlist. This will make it so only those songs play when on the streets and in vehicles.

MavFan619

Banned
Really enjoying Watch Dogs every single block seems to have something or other to do, or hack and people to mess with. Have barely touched online yet but I'm sure that will be fun to mess around in as well.

Ok I played it all last night when I got home from work. Didn't even stop for a coffee. Seriously addictive.

Graphics were much better than I expected and I have to say the Chicago in Watch Dogs is the most "alive" city I have ever seen in a video game. I'm having more fun than I did playing GTAV already. Controls are just so nice.

There is something going on with the skyscrapers that make the city feel "real" and I can't put my finger on what exactly it is either. When I'm just walking through the streets and looking around they look amazing. Anyone else notice that?!

They modeled interiors for the buildings. When you're walking by, you're looking up at the lights in the ceilings of each floor. I don't think it does it in every building, but it does it in enough buildings that it gives a very three dimensional feel to them. I guess it's called "Interior Simulation". Here's a gif of it:

Watch-Dogs-gif.gif

They modeled interiors for the buildings. When you're walking by, you're looking up at the lights in the ceilings of each floor. I don't think it does it in every building, but it does it in enough buildings that it gives a very three dimensional feel to them. I guess it's called "Interior Simulation". Here's a gif of it:

Watch-Dogs-gif.gif

No freaking way! I actually didn't notice that at all but knew there was something that they had done that I haven't seen before. I love it. I literally spent about an hour walking around and hacking people casually whilst spamming the screenshot button for some moody rainy cityscape pictures :D

I've barely even touched the real content of the game, just sticking to random crimes and screen shots for like 6 hours, but my biggest issue right now is the licensed soundtrack. I don't understand why they didn't throw a bunch of electronic/downtempo/Chicago house/etc. on there alongside a bunch of blues and jazz. At this point I'd rather just hear that low key score that pops up during police chases and fixer contracts than most of the songs on here. I wish it supposed custom soundtracks so bad.

EDIT: It's not even about the quality of the soundtrack really, just that there are certain styles of music that could really enhance the atmosphere and they seemed to capture very little of that. This game needs an entire "The Journey" playlist from GTAIV.

8bit

Knows the Score
I've barely even touched the real content of the game, just sticking to random crimes and screen shots for like 6 hours, but my biggest issue right now is the licensed soundtrack. I don't understand why they didn't throw a bunch of electronic/downtempo/Chicago house/etc. on there alongside a bunch of blues and jazz. At this point I'd rather just hear that low key score that pops up during police chases and fixer contracts than most of the songs on here. I wish it supposed custom soundtracks so bad.

EDIT: It's not even about the quality of the soundtrack really, just that there are certain styles of music that could really enhance the atmosphere and they seemed to capture very little of that. This game needs an entire "The Journey" playlist from GTAIV.

Absolutely, I was really surprised there was nothing particularly electronic, especially after the ambience of the intro screen music.

malfcn

Had the game paused for awhile.
Quit to main menu. And it can't load. Hope nothing is corrupted.

Looks like game loads.
Quit to main now works.
So strange.

Does anyone know when the season pass holders will get the content?

I assume the outfits are available right away?

Assumed wrong, like a lot of people. I have the Untouchable skin, and Conspiracy unlocked.

Marvel

could never
I really want to be invaded/invade. Sounds fun.

So are you able to do it your friends?

GiantBomb complained about the controls and said that they felt clunky and a bit unresponsive. Any opinion on this?

Reload on L3 is a bit weird, apart from that they are nice.

Jobbs

Banned
I looked into it more and no, I wasn't mistaken, you simply can't melee/punch random people. It sucks sometimes I see someone with info I don't like, or someone ran into my car, or what have you, and I'd like to just deck them, but instead it's kill them and possibly have to run from the cops for 5 minutes.

Seems like a really idiotic oversight to allow me to run people over and shoot people in an open game but not punch them.

And, as mentioned, the inability to shoot from the car when the game repeatedly tasks you with chasing people in cars and taking them down -- Is ridiculous. Especially since hitting them so hard that it flips them over barely slows them down.

Game seems to have a lot of dumb "little" stuff like this and it begs the question -- What the hell would it have been like if it came out last November as originally planned.

dex3108

Yeap PC version has problems with Hacking and Tailing. Also mobile app doesn't work, connection lost every time after 2-3 minutes.

malfcn

Ahhh OK, so I guess we have to wait for those skins too. Not too bad, have Ubi said anything about when the rest of the DLC is coming?

Not that I have seen. And no achievments yet.
I'm not going to complain. Sold pre order codes for $13 and got the pass for $20, lol.

over sights

Boats cause this to stand out. Climb in a boat being driven and you have to shoot (or threaten?) them off the wheel.

I really want to be invaded/invade. Sounds fun.

So are you able to do it your friends?

Reload on L3 is a bit weird, apart from that they are nice.

I also would like to know if you can invade or get invaded by your friends. At the moment I can just search for a random person but can't jump into my friends game which is a bit annoying!

I looked into it more and no, I wasn't mistaken, you simply can't melee/punch random people. It sucks sometimes I see someone with info I don't like, or someone ran into my car, or what have you, and I'd like to just deck them, but instead it's kill them and possibly have to run from the cops for 5 minutes.

Seems like a really idiotic oversight to allow me to run people over and shoot people in an open game but not punch them.

And, as mentioned, the inability to shoot from the car when the game repeatedly tasks you with chasing people in cars and taking them down -- Is ridiculous. Especially since hitting them so hard that it flips them over barely slows them down.

Yeah..There really should've been a melee option ._.

Are any PS4 users able to use the Share function? Both times I've tried I couldn't take a screenshot nor video, and there was HUGE lag trying to exit out of the OS and go back into the game (the blue screen hangs while audio from the game plays).

Game seems to have a lot of dumb "little" stuff like this and it begs the question -- What the hell would it have been like if it came out last November as originally planned.
Yep. I think I'll find plenty of fun to be had in this game, but that feeling has popped up at least a dozen times in my few hours of play already.

Marvel

could never
Are any PS4 users able to use the Share function? Both times I've tried I couldn't take a screenshot nor video, and there was HUGE lag trying to exit out of the OS and go back into the game (the blue screen hangs while audio from the game plays).

I was using it a lot last night saving videos and shots A-OK, however the game does seem to make the UI chug when you hit upload sometimes. The blue screen will take a long time to pop up (still hearing game audio whilst you wait lol)

Haven't booted the game up this morning yet though...

Pjsprojects

Sound question with this game.

PS4 on Optical and surround is not to great,not splitting it up very well.

PC on rca each with own channel sound great like BF4 with very clear sound split on all speakers.

Anyone got any advice to sort the PS4 surround because I gave up trying to play it on pc...

Top Bottom