• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

rnaud

The car handling/physics/damage etc. in this game is fucking terrible. I have a great time with the game overall but fuck.

I don't understand what people are saying about the car handling? What is the problem?
I've played for a few hours yesterday, seemed okay to me, got a little used to, but then I was doing drifts and avoiding cars while driving in the opposite lane on the highway.

Some of the npc profiles are hilarious.

Sometimes they make absolutely no sense for that particular person, and sometimes they seem deliberate.

One time there was a girl who was like 24 years old just hanging out on the street talking on her phone, and it said "currently awaiting liver transplant". Like anyone on a transplant list would be healthy enough to be be randomly walking around the street by themselves.

Then there was a girl making out with a guy at a bus station, and her profile said "recently diagnosed with herpes" lol.

iddqd

Ubisoft is giving us the hero we deserve

tumblr_n69k9mOat01rx5coxo1_500.gif

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I've been asking about this as well. I've played 7 hours now and have been invaded less than 5 times. Hoping it will pick up as people realize how much fun it can be. I've never been (notified) that I was being observed or tailed either.

On the other hand, if I invade other players (hacking or tailing) I'm up to about a 50 percent success rate. Still getting a lot of "no players found". Also hope this gets better. Can't imagine the player base is really that small.

If you're not notified of being observed or tailed , how do you know it's happened - pop up message at the end of the invasion? I haven't seen anything so I'm assuming I haven't been invaded yet, but maybe I have if the game doesn't tell you anything.

LOVE motorcyles in the game. But they don't add to your garage, wtf? At least the one I rode didn't.

The right stick is mainly for aiming at things to hack, not to view your car.

LOL. I'm not trying to view my car. I try to look to the side a little as I approach a turn. And no...you don't need to look around to hack. You hack what's in front of you or hit X/A to hack behind or just wait for the neutralization prompt to pop up and you will hack whatever is around you that will take care of the enemies. The things you would need to look around and hack like a helicopter you can't even do while driving.

Chitown B

LOL. I'm not trying to view my car. I try to look to the side a little as I approach a turn. And no...you don't need to look around to hack. You hack what's in front of you or hit X/A to hack behind or just wait for the neutralization prompt to pop up and you will hack whatever is around you that will take care of the enemies. The things you would need to look around and hack like a helicopter you can't even do while driving.

I promise you, sometimes there is more than one thing you can hack and you need to select which one.

LOVE motorcyles in the game. But they don't add to your garage, wtf? At least the one I rode didn't.

It should just unlock it for you to buy when you ride it. You only fully unlock cars without having to buy them when you do missions and collectibles that give them as rewards.

Kunan

I feel I have much higher precision when driving in bumper cam view, but you lose the peripheral vision which can be bad depending on what you're doing.

Yasae

Banned
I actually don't have a problem with the car handling in this game...

...And I liked the handling in GTA IV (well, mostly).

I thought the car handling was OK, and then I got into a sporty looking car, floored it, turned the thumbstick slightly to change directions, and the whole car did about a 320 degree rotation, basically doing a donut while burning out. Uh, alright.

Majanew

Banned
Been playing the PS4 version and the game looks a lot better than I thought it was going to look. And the handling of the cars is fine. I had no problems cutting in between houses and tearing down fences to lose the cops.

Marvel

could never
When you successfully invade someone... damn good. Wish the matchmaking worked better it's insanely slow to find anyone if at all. I've also never been invaded :(

Loving the game thus far though.

Oh and my mobster dlc finally works, which is nice. Based tommy gun.

Dead

well not really...yet
Whoever mentioned that turning the calibration down improves the visuals was right (on PS4). Would advise to turn it down to 15-20 or so.

I thought the car handling was OK, and then I got into a sporty looking car, floored it, turned the thumbstick slightly to change directions, and the whole car did about a 320 degree rotation, basically doing a donut while burning out. Uh, alright.

I noticed that it always does that if you try to do a hard turn before you pull off. You get used to it and it becomes easier to anticipate. I quite like the driving but I do notice that I am using the motorcycles more than anything else (specifically the Chopper). They eclipse the other vehicle handling.

Tekniqs

played several hours yesterday. once I finished the "online hack" tutorial, I stopped playing the story lol. Hacking and tailing are fun as hell

pretty sure the check-in said Bean.
It's called "Cloud Gate" in the real world.

Making it look realistic, including dynamic elements like people, and traffic, would have been an amazing piece of work. Bet some rendering engineer breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't buy the rights.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cockpit view is the only way to drive.
I did a whole lot of this. Especially when trying to drive "safe," it's great, though I wish you could view the sides...
I haven't killed anyone yet, but hitting people with the baton is fun. I haven't shot anyone yet either, I think.
Now that I think about it, I don't believe I have fired a shot yet.

Actually, early mission spoiler/hilariousness:
The Loop's ctOS control center which you hack as a story mission, they're all like "oh there are these new mercenary guards, and they doubled them, this is serious business" and Aiden's like "yeah okay, I need more firepower" and the mission has you go to the gun store and buy your first rifle in preparation.

...I completed that mission parked in a car a block away and around the corner, jumping through cameras and psychologically tormenting the guards until one gave me a clear view of the server room.

When the mission said "Leave the Area," I was basically already outside the alert circle.
I like to think that Aiden played a couple levels of Angry Birds before turning the car back on and driving away, mission complete.
Yeah, I tried to initially hack only rich people, but then I realized that Aiden is essentially an amoral asshole and wouldn't differentiate and now I'm hacking everyone regardless of how wealthy they are. His going after criminals schtick is only weak cover for his need for revenge.
I'm kind of having trouble stealing money from anyone so far actually. Playing a pretty virtuous Protector Aiden for now.
That's a good idea.

Never thought of that.
Any kind of behavior that forces NPCs to react naturally is a great idea. This puts the invader (me) from planned performance into improv mode. Much harder to be convincing.

Chitown B

It's called "Cloud Gate" in the real world.

Making it look realistic, including dynamic elements like people, and traffic, would have been an amazing piece of work. Bet some rendering engineer breathed a sigh of relief when they didn't buy the rights.

LOL. While true, no one calls it that.

played several hours yesterday. once I finished the "online hack" tutorial, I stopped playing the story lol. Hacking and tailing are fun as hell
Indeed. However, I suggest continuing the story to unlock access to new gadgets and stuff. It's like an AC game where you continue unlocking shit (and getting tutorials) until halfway through Act 2.

I love how large the arsenal is in this game. I'm counting 30+ guns and that's not including unlockable ones according to the progression page, not to mention DLC firearms.

So 40+ guns in total?

That's fucking great.

Some of the npc profiles are hilarious.

Sometimes they make absolutely no sense for that particular person, and sometimes they seem deliberate.

One time there was a girl who was like 24 years old just hanging out on the street talking on her phone, and it said "currently awaiting liver transplant". Like anyone on a transplant list would be healthy enough to be be randomly walking around the street by themselves.

Then there was a girl making out with a guy at a bus station, and her profile said "recently diagnosed with herpes" lol.

My mom has a failing liver and kidney and she gets around just fine. Until a car accident she drove herself to the mall, etc

Namikaze1

Anyone had all their tier one skills unlocked before the
Open Your World mission?
I did. Hell, by the time I actually went to do that, I had 36 unused skill points. I played over thirteen hours now and am still on
Act 1.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Anyone had all their tier one skills unlocked before the
Open Your World mission?
I did. Hell, by the time I actually went to do that, I had 36 unused skill points. I played over thirteen hours now and am still on
Act 1.

Should make the rest of the game a breeze right?

Island

Anyone else having a hard time connecting to hack someone? It's just spins for a few minutes and then stops trying to find someone. It usually says ETA 2-3 mins, but it's only ever found one person, and the connection dropped right away.

No problem being invaded though (once while I had 3 stars) that sucks.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I did a whole lot of this. Especially when trying to drive "safe," it's great, though I wish you could view the sides...

The Loop's ctOS control center which you hack as a story mission, they're all like "oh there are these new mercenary guards, and they doubled them, this is serious business" and Aiden's like "yeah okay, I need more firepower" and the mission has you go to the gun store and buy your first rifle in preparation.

...I completed that mission parked in a car a block away and around the corner, jumping through cameras and psychologically tormenting the guards until one gave me a clear view of the server room.

When the mission said "Leave the Area," I was basically already outside the alert circle.
I like to think that Aiden played a couple levels of Angry Birds before turning the car back on and driving away, mission complete.

I'm kind of having trouble stealing money from anyone so far actually. Playing a pretty virtuous Protector Aiden for now.

Heh, that's awesome.
I could never find the last camera that gave you a clear shot of the unlock box without going up there in person in that mission.
I wonder how non-violently one can play this game, not counting all the baton beatdowns and that
initial trigger pull in the first scene

Well, I bought the PS4 version cuz I was done with Wolfenstein and want something else on PS4.

Let's do this! My expectations are firmly in check!

Namikaze1

Should make the rest of the game a breeze right?
Hmm. Maybe. I'm just going around fucking shit up, saving citizens, and doing all the side quests available right now. The game is quite fun to play. Though I really don't like the driving in the game. Oh well. Now if you'll excuse me, there's people I need to rob.
I feel bad for all the NPCs who were doing such good things with their life. They are now broke. :(

hbkdx12

See, the crazy thing is that yesterday i go home and play a bit and just mess about not doing anything productive other than side missions and enjoyed every minute of it and then i go and read/watch some reviews and people are saying that the hacking doesn't add as much as you'd think and that if you've played open world games then this is basically the same and then i read stories like yours as well as my own expectations and creativity regarding hacking/camera jumping/distractions/etc and im just like....whoa whoa whoa
a person can play an entire mission where he infiltrates an entire building while not having had to even leave his car while physically avoiding all the guards while still completing the mission due to his own creativity and ingenuity is not novel?
That's not new? That's not fun? That's not amazing?! The fuck. I just don't get it.

Top Bottom