• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Well apparently, I posted this screenshot to Facebook and people are replying thinking I'm actually in Chicago:

liU1hrF.jpg

rnaud

See, the crazy thing is that yesterday i go home and play a bit and just mess about not doing anything productive other than side missions and enjoyed every minute of it and then i go and read/watch some reviews and people are saying that the hacking doesn't add as much as you'd think and that if you've played open world games then this is basically the same and then i read stories like yours as well as my own expectations and creativity regarding hacking/camera jumping/distractions/etc and im just like....whoa whoa whoa
a person can play an entire mission where he infiltrates an entire building while not having had to even leave his car while physically avoiding all the guards while still completing the mission due to his own creativity and ingenuity is not novel?
That's not new? That's not fun? That's not amazing?! The fuck. I just don't get it.

I agree completely. Finishing missions without having to fire your weapon is just so good.
That and neutralizing a car with a roadblock or a headlight hack is just amazing. A high speed chase finishing by having the opponent's car into something works perfectly.

And the city is still moving and living around your, I'm just impressed by this game.

Phionoxx

If you're not notified of being observed or tailed , how do you know it's happened - pop up message at the end of the invasion? I haven't seen anything so I'm assuming I haven't been invaded yet, but maybe I have if the game doesn't tell you anything.

I'm not entirely sure either. Just assuming there the player being observed does get a notification once the percentage starts to go up. Basing this strictly on the behavior I have witnessed when I was the one tailing. As soon as the profiling is complete and it switches to Observe 0% the vast majority stop in place and look around. So they must know at that point.

Pretty sure during the earlier 5 minute countdown as you try to get them in sight to do the profiling, they have no idea and aren't made aware your in their game.

But I definitely have never seen anything to indicate I was being tailed so I'm thinking it hasn't happened yet.

irishcow

After playing this game a while I can honestly say that it shouldn't even be considered next gen. Even with all settings maxed on PC at 1080p it doesn't look much better than GTA4 did, definitely not much better than sleeping dogs.

After playing this game a while I can honestly say that it shouldn't even be considered next gen. Even with all settings maxed on PC at 1080p it doesn't look much better than GTA4 did, definitely not much better than watch dogs.

Totally agree, Watch Dogs is definitely not much better than watch dogs.

Here's a couple of my multiplayer experiences:

I got to 95% hacking a guy hiding in an alleyway behind a dumpster. He almost ran right past me too. I was able to escape though even though we were right next to each other when he found me. After that I had a horrible one where I tried to make a shortcut that did not pan out at all.

I got invaded by one guy who was hiding in the most obvious place and I just couldn't find him. He was parked in a car and it was up on the curb. I beat myself up for that one.

I do love how Ubisoft's multiplayer modes end up great when initially it seems the game mechanics wouldn't support a good multiplayer. AC multiplayer is extremely fun when played right and I have enjoyed my Watch Dogs matches so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Heh, that's awesome.
I could never find the last camera that gave you a clear shot of the unlock box without going up there in person in that mission.
I wonder how non-violently one can play this game, not counting all the baton beatdowns and that
initial trigger pull in the first scene
Yeah, I had to
hack a distraction that got the guard (or a guard, wasn't sure if there were others) that had a hidden camera on him to move from his spot, then jump into his camera as he walked back to his post, giving me a clear view.

They definitely give you tons of tools to play almost completely non-violently. The crazy thing is, after I completed this sequence I realized that I could have, once I found the guard with the hidden camera,
physically have moved Aiden within range of the building and thrown a crafted lure in the window, activated it, then jumped into his camera and entered the box that way.
So that's at least two pretty different ways to complete that without setting foot in the building.
See, the crazy thing is that yesterday i go home and play a bit and just mess about not doing anything productive other than side missions and enjoyed every minute of it and then i go and read/watch some reviews and people are saying that the hacking doesn't add as much as you'd think and that if you've played open world games then this is basically the same and then i read stories like yours as well as my own expectations and creativity regarding hacking/camera jumping/distractions/etc and im just like....whoa whoa whoa
a person can play an entire mission where he infiltrates an entire building while not having had to even leave his car while physically avoiding all the guards while still completing the mission due to his own creativity and ingenuity is not novel?
That's not new? That's not fun? That's not amazing?! The fuck. I just don't get it.
I know exactly how you feel. I really don't see this being spelled out much in reviews, it's just kind of a throwaway ("you can accomplish most objectives purely by hacking") and just like you said it usually accompanies a line about it not feeling very different from other open world games...

But like, while I was doing that mission- which I realized was possible just from physically scoping out the location in my car before driving to a safe spot to park- I was barely even playing as Aiden at all. I was the exploding fuse boxes and disturbing text messages sent to an increasingly freaked-out group of guards. My gameplay was really taking place as a disembodied force of bit-driven entropy, a digital poltergeist, with nothing for the
heavily-armed military contractors/ex-criminals
I was warned about to shoot their many bullets at in the first place. As I "snuck" closer and closer to the objective, having been "in" for a few minutes already, I screwed up by "missing a jump"- I went into a hidden camera that had no view of another to jump to. At this point I had to hit B to exit out and try again, which takes you out of the hacking completely... and I realized I had forgotten where I (Aiden) actually physically was in the "real world" while doing all that.

I'm sorry, but... stepping outside of the circuitous "next-gen or not" arguments for a minute, I just don't know any other open world games with gameplay like that. I don't think I can name any other game where you can do that. I guess I heard there is a kind of similar mechanic in Beyond: Two Souls?

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
I just ran into this 'NPC' running around frantically in the middle of the street. Then I got a notification I was getting tailed by another player. Put a bunch of bullets into him, he turned around and fired back, then disappeared. The game gave me a message that the other player had been kicked for shooting at me.

That was weird.

Really liking the game so far though. Being invaded while just fucking around really ups the tension. This definitely isn't the game they showed us @ E3 2012 though. Despite that, it still is a fun open-world game with just enough elements (Hacking/Stealth/Non-lethal) to not make it feel generic.

Everything works for me except Online decryption. It is slow getting into games though.
Lucky... I've been trying Races, Decryption, Free Roam... none of them work. Just searches for minutes then says "No Match Found". I managed to get into ONE race last night with 3 people, including myself. The rest of my online experiences have been in a private match with my friend.

I've been avoiding hacking/tailing atm because of the supposed game-breaking bug, so maybe they work.

Do you get an error connecting to Uplay when you launch the game?

Phionoxx

Is anyone on PS4 actually able to find multiplayer games? Or are the servers just borked?

Having issues on PC as well. Have no idea where the Average Wait Time figures are coming from because at least anecdotally they seem way off. Half of the time I get a "No Players Foynd" from a search. Also getting errors when actually trying to connect once a match has been found. Maybe it's a Uplay or Ubisoft issue if it's happening across multiple platforms? If so hopefully it can be addressed on a patch.

Having issues on PC as well. Have no idea where the Average Wait Time figures are coming from because at least anecdotally they seem way off. Half of the time I get a "No Players Foynd" from a search. Also getting errors when actually trying to connect once a match has been found. Maybe it's a Uplay or Ubisoft issue if it's happening across multiple platforms? If so hopefully it can be addressed on a patch.
Yeah, I constantly get the No Players Found thing. Must be Uplay...

Zafir

I think uplay is just down. I can't log into it at all.

What bug?
There are reports that under certain conditions if you get killed while hacking someone else's game, you get kicked back to your game and all of your unlocks are locked and completely un-unlockable, you lose all your outfits and are stuck with the default, and are unable to do a bunch of things meaning that it is impossible to progress in the game. Reloading to a past save doesn't work since it autosaves, so you have to start the game again.

Edit: sources:
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/881444-SPOILER-Game-Breaking-Bug
http://gearnuke.com/watch-dogs-game-breaking-bug-results-complete-loss-progress-game/

Lucky... I've been trying Races, Decryption, Free Roam... none of them work. Just searches for minutes then says "No Match Found". I managed to get into ONE race last night with 3 people, including myself. The rest of my online experiences have been in a private match with my friend.

I've been avoiding hacking/tailing atm because of the supposed game-breaking bug, so maybe they work.

Do you get an error connecting to Uplay when you launch the game?

No error when i launch the game but i do get "No Match Found" with online decryption.

I have been backing up my save via usb every 30 mins or so. I should be okay if a bug occurs.

Can anyone give me some tips on gang hideouts? I was having trouble with the one I tried yesterday. I'm not too far in the game so I might just not have the right cocktail of skills unlocked yet, but I tried stealth and shooting my way in, but i eventually died either way.

It's definitely a uPlay problem. It was down for a lot of yesterday. I couldn't even change the password that I forgot so I could get online and this was using the actual uplay site. I feel like there's got to be a better way to deal with these launches. They don't want to buy a bunch of servers that won't be in use when the player base shrinks after launch but I don't really know how it works.

My mom has a failing liver and kidney and she gets around just fine. Until a car accident she drove herself to the mall, etc

Woah, sorry to hear that.

Is she on a transplant list? Usually when you're on a transplant list, they tell you to be with someone at all times, because you never know when you might get the call, and need someone to drive you to the hospital.

Good for her that she can still get around though.

I'm sorry, but... stepping outside of the circuitous "next-gen or not" arguments for a minute, I just don't know any other open world games with gameplay like that. I don't think I can name any other game where you can do that. I guess I heard there is a kind of similar mechanic in Beyond: Two Souls?

Your post did a better job of making me want to actually buy Watch Dogs than any review or comments I've read. Thanks for that.

Can anyone give me some tips on gang hideouts? I was having trouble with the one I tried yesterday. I'm not too far in the game so I might just not have the right cocktail of skills unlocked yet, but I tried stealth and shooting my way in, but i eventually died either way.

1. Use the cameras to get an idea where the enemies are hiding.

2. Use "Lure" to get an enemy's attention and then use "Focus" to kill them.

3. Do not kill the leader you will fail the hideout.

4 Take your time.

Phionoxx

I think uplay is just down. I can't log into it at all.

Yeah I realize that there is no multi when uplay is down. But the no player found searches have been going on constantly, not just isolated to when uplay is down.

Hope that doesn't mean the majority of players are turning off online - it's a lot of fun. As of now, on PC at least it feels like an extremely small player base due to how long it takes to find a match (if it does find one).

Top Bottom