• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

RyudBoy

I am really enjoying the game more than I thought I would. I am still very early, but just having fun. I chased down a guy, it was getting dark and then it started raining. Caught him at an intersection. After beating him down, I noticed his car had been smoking and then caught on fire. Funny thing is that he crashed into a Fire Truck, so his car is on fire and then explodes, then the fire truck catches on fire and then it pops causing another car to get damaged and after about 5 minutes it goes up as well. I am just sitting on the corner with all the other pedestrians just watching shit continue to burn and explode. NPC's having cell phones out and taking pics etc. Pretty amazing.

Playing the Xbox One version and the only time I have gotten any screen tearing is in the in-game cinematics, driving around and such there is no slow-down or screen tearing, it is really weird that in the cut scenes, not all, but on some it tears. But it looked damned nice with the lighting, rain and at night. Little rough during the day cycle, but not too bad. Just wish the PC version did not stutter as much as it does.

There's definitely some slight screen tearing during driving, but it's really hard to spot so it's a non issue. Slowdown occurs during high speed chases with a few police cars tailing you. The frame rate dips just a little where it's noticeable, but it doesn't affect your control at all.

krioto

I cleared all the ctOS towers and hack-points last night.

Really great fun - mix of stealth, hacking and the occasional gun-fight. The game really allows dynamic scenarios to develop based on what you choose to do.

e.g. there is one ctOS center on an island up north - you can swim across, then hack into the cameras, blow a fuse to attract a guy with a camera, hack his camera as he walks up to the center, and then hack into the center just before he turns back.

I'm enjoying it, and had really no hype or exposure beforehand.

edit - and I'm really enjoying the driving - once you get the hang of it, and use the handbrake for screeching turns, its actually quite good

SJRB

Gold Member
The on-foot chases are my favourite, where both you and the NPC have an almost perfectly matched speed resulting in the most long winded, boring and uneventful chase ever seen in a videogame.

If only you had something you could use to stop them. A real head scratcher, this one.

I was playing the ball/cup mini-game for about 25 min before beating every round lol it was somehow fun.

Also when you get ATM Hack Boost 3, the money is just endless. Everyone you back is at least over 1k with mutiple people 5k or even 10k+. I'm rolling in cash.

I didn't get that hack ATM upgrade because the game has enough UI popping up in my face without the civilians having blue boxes over their heads too. Unless that only shows up when you take out the profiler, I'm keeping mine the way it is.

On the PS4 its amazing how different driving is depending on the view. Default view its worst than GTA which I thought was impossible yet in COCKpit view its Forza 5 accurate.

If only you had something you could use to stop them. A real head scratcher, this one.

It's like people forget they have a gun, can blow fuses on the wall, get into a car and lightly tap the dude so he falls but doesn't die, etc. The running speed is faster than the npcs also.

HowZatOZ

Banned
This game is so comfy :3 Night time, rainy weather and just wandering the streets watching NPC's interact with each other and go about their daily lives.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
GOD FUCK NOT BRING ABLE TO SHOOT AND DRIVE.

God damn you Ubisoft.

Andrew.

Banned
The convoys actually takes some planning be it last minute. Use the grenade launcher to take out the cover vehicles and even use a grenade against the main vehicle. Once the guy gets out of the car or truck take them out but just be sure to use some sort of cover at all times. It isn't that hard.

HowZatOZ

Banned

God damn you Ubisoft.

Why does it bother people so much? They chose this style of play to push people into being more aware of their environment and using that to their advantage. NPCs can't shoot so doesn't really bother me.

It takes a lifetime to get any hacking matchups and each time it's someone who has very strong defense. Wtf am I supposed to do here.

I just wanna hack some noob.

Using keyboard or controller?

If controller, don't throttle entirely, just give it some light squeezes, and hold when you are on a long stretch of road.

Keyboard

Cop Cars just seem to good at following though, and even if I go and manage to hide that cTOS thing comes up and I get detected again.

So the game looks alright on PS4, but I have to ask the people going all out on PC - is the insane bokeh from the early E3 demos in the game at all? Did they even try to fudge it?

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Why does it bother people so much? They chose this style of play to push people into being more aware of their environment and using that to their advantage. NPCs can't shoot so doesn't really bother me.

Yes, NPCs CAN shoot while driving. It's maddening when you're given a motorcycle to chase someone in a car with a full squad of guys driving behind you busting caps into your fresh ass.

Just fresh off a frustrating mission, so a little heated about it.

Daft_Cat

A few short thoughts:

The gameplay is incredibly enjoyable. It's obviously formulaic, but what it does new is meaningful enough for me. The game does a great job at establishing a sense of place and atmosphere all based around a singular theme. It's quality stuff, and you can tell a lot of money went into it. The storytelling may be a bit cliched...but it's serviceable and the characters are fun. Overall, the modern day Assassin's Creed vibe that some people pointed out seems warranted. They definitely feel like they're cut from the same cloth both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay.

The Chicago setting as well as the protagonist's Batman voice also make the game feel a bit like a Chris Nolan movie, if you're into that sort of thing.

Some random pros and cons:

+This is the best open world city I've experienced since Sleeping Dogs. Dripping with atmosphere. Los Santos wasn't doing it for me since I'm not a huge fan of the SoCal feel (I live there, so I'm allowed to criticize)... but Watch Dogs nails Chicago. I'm not saying it's an objectively better game than GTAV as far as the open world is concerned (in fact, I might argue the opposite), but it's certainly my preference.

+It reminds me of Assassins Creed Brotherhood and Arkham City with regards to how often the side-quests take you off the beaten path. I'd actually say Watch Dogs is even stronger than those as far as variety is concerned.

+Hacking never gets old.

+Presentation does look and feel nextgen to me. Your mileage may vary.

-The horn sounds stick out like a sore thumb. There's maybe one or two "horns" in the entire game, and they both sound like they were recorded in a garage. I honk a lot in open world games, so maybe others haven't noticed. It bumps me even more considering how slick the rest of the presentation is. Nitpicking, but whatever.

-This is the worst in-car soundtrack I've ever heard in an open world game. There's like maybe 1 or 2 decent songs. I turn the radio off, which is fortunate since the sound design is 99 percent great. The score is very good as well. I wish there was a way to just stream that from behind the wheel.

Anyway, enjoying my time so far. My expectations may have been a bit lowered, but overall the game's exceeding my expectations. I'm probably only a third of the way through, though.

Edit:

One more big negative for me: The online just flat out doesn't work for me on PS4. I end up waiting for ages just to connect to someone... Usually I quit out after 5 or so minutes.

kanuuna

Is the HUD in this gzme customizable at all? Can you remove certain elements of it like in AC? Can you remove it entirely?

Unless you're on PC, no - there are no HUD related options in the game's options menu. With it being an Ubisoft game and multiplatform, I highly doubt they're going to patch in any options either.
I'll promise to eat something if I'm proven wrong.
And it's a damned shame, because the HUD seems way centered (the recent trend of trying to deal with overscan, instead of trying educating the player that they should look to their TV display settings if the output looks cropped), and I could do well without the minimap and battery icons being visible at all times.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Where the hell is the introduction to online contracts or whatever? It won't let me do invasions until I complete it, yet it doesn't seem to actually exist anywhere.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member

God damn you Ubisoft.

I don't really miss it, it pushes me into using what the devs actually wanted me to use: hacks!

NPC can shoot you if they have extra passengers with guns.

Zakalwe

Banned
Played for around 8 hours. The majority of that time has been spent invading, being invaded, doing side quests, accessing towers, and exploring.

I don't usually like open world games, but this place feels alive enough and has enough optional content so far that I seem to forget the time.

I love the NPC AI. The way they move and interact, the random crimes, the way they step out of their vehicles and lament after crashing at lights, it's a really good effort at making the place feel alive.

I think the game looks great. Playing on high with Shadows on Ultra and AA off, and it looks very good. Daylight is the game's weakest time visually, but it's far from atrocious at the setting I'm playing on. Night time can look stunning, it definitely has a next-gen feel at times. Downgrade sure, but we're not being starved here.

The driving was annoying at first, but I'm getting the hang of it. The faster sports cars and bikes are great, the rest are probably a little off. I love how fluid it is to hack lights and bollards as you drive, it makes for some incredibly satisfying and heart pounding moments.

Aiden's movement and shooting are great. On PC, I had to adjust the fov slightly but now he feels really responsive. I especially like riding the cameras. Headshots might be a little too easy, though, and I only use bullet time if I get caught in a life or death situation.

Stealth movement is pure Blacklist, which isn't a bad thing. Would have been cool to keep more aspects from that game like vents and horizontal pipes maybe to add to the stealth options.

I really like how hacking is so simplistic. This is a video game after all, and the ability to hack things fluidly in a fight or dangerous situation make the game feel quite fresh. Little things like using a camera to flank an enemy and detonate his grenade or the vent beneath him while you stay hidden really add to the combat, for example.

The ctOS towers are a lot more fun than. I thought they'd be, I like the platform puzzle elements even if they're incredibly easy. That some are housed in security stations adds a neat variation.

Invasions are great, and I love how seamless they are. I've not found then repetitive yet as each player has been different and they've played out in many different ways. I wouldn't focus on them, but it's a fun break when you get the notification that someone's trying to find you. I also really like the race vs mobile users as you try to escape while they control police deployment. Surprisingly fun!

Aiden. Well, I get that he's hardly the most memorable character, but I kind of like it. He's like a ghost in the system, floating through the digital ether and the physical world like a phantom. He's almost disappearing, like his desire for revenge is the only thing keeping him rooted to this world. He's not a great character at all, but I find he fits the tone well. If he'd been better realised the game would definitely have jumped up a few notches in status though, IMO. It's probably a shame.

I thought the lack of crouch would bug me, but the Blacklist run to cover and context sensitive ducking works great. Would still like a dedicated duck for soft cover, though. Hell, a prone would be amazing too.

And I know building interiors are difficult, but the one thing that really bothers me about the city is how most of it feels like a bunch of blocks for Aiden to bounce around on. This becomes most apparent when invading, or escaping from cops. It starts feeling a little artificial when all you can do is hug the outside of giant rectangles. Some areas are worse off than others, those with ally ways and sections you can mantle up on to the roof are fine, but it can be a little off putting at times.

Missions so far seem varied. Side missions are really well planned out. Voice acting and writing is at least passable and sometimes effective. Riding trains is great, especially if you stop one in the middle of the tracks to escape on.

The real problems I have are the usual video game limitation issues. AI being a bit too forgetful of the fact I just slaughtered a bunch if its friends, or lacking a response to an explosion a few feet away, and the fact that outside of the hacking mechanics this game is really doing nothing new. I can imagine people who play a lot of this style of game getting bored, I guess I'm lucky as I tend to avoid them.

Anyway; I think it's great. Not GOTY great, but typical Ubisoft "let's take generic style A, refine the shit out of it, and add a cool defining mechanic" great. And while it does (as some reviewers have mentioned) feel like an amalgamation of all their best features, it's an incredibly fun game because of that.

-

Favourite features:
Incredible atmosphere at times
Evading police (hiding in vehicles is really good)
Invasions
Playing Vs mobile users
Riding cameras
Blacklist style stealth
Hacking stuff in general
Great NPC AI

Disappointments:
Not enough buildings allow access
Money is bit too easy to come by
Can't give to poor/beggers
Some MP modes aren't very active
Unoptomized menus for PC
Forgetful/unaware enemy AI

Overall: generic foundation, but highly polished and enough unique aspects to make it feel fresh enough to bother with.

-

PS - I wish you could remote hack ATMs to spew out money and cause a stampede of NPCs to help you escape. That would be great.

Muffdraul

Where the hell is the introduction to online contracts or whatever? It won't let me do invasions until I complete it, yet it doesn't seem to actually exist anywhere.

I think it's scripted to trigger when you go on the mission
in which you first meet up with badboy17,
but I could be wrong.

Sojgat

Unlocked a Ctos centre by hacking a guard with a mobile camera, and using a lure to get him to turn around to face the panel. Entire intrusion took just under 30 seconds.

I am absolutely blown away by the freedom and flexibility in this game.

Caode

Just played it for about 7 hours straight and I've not even moved beyond the second story mission.

It's formulaic as hell but it's definitely enjoyable to roam around in and dabble in all the sidequests and stuff. I'm just working my way through all the different activities now and building my skills up before progressing any more in the story. Although some will be locked until I progress a bit more, still, having fun with it.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Unlocked a Ctos centre by hacking a guard with a mobile camera, and using a lure to get him to turn around to face the panel. Entire intrusion took just under 30 seconds.

I am absolutely blown away by the freedom and flexibility in this game.

Did something similar to this today. That's a satisfying feeling when you can complete a mission without even stepping foot in the place.

Five

Banned
Someone said something about an easter egg or secret in the Pawnee region.

Anyone care to share in a spoiler?

There's a few, but it's probably the
Rabbid statue in one of the bars in Pawnee. Hack it to make it go Bwaah.

Lima

Ah man.... I am barely doing any of the story stuff.

I keep invading other players, god I love this feature.

It's really something. Like I thought this would be something I hate and immediately turn off but once I tried it I was hooked. Kinda like the AC MP but even more heart pounding. Good stuff.

Tamanon

Banned
Gang hideouts are my favorite part of the game now. Cleared out 7 of them thus far, and each one has presented a unique challenge. Usually have to fail several times on each one.

If things go South, I like to make them REALLY go South with the Grenade Launcher.

Top Bottom