• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just a little confused about the online? Do you unlock something from filling out the purple bar? On PC it doesn't seem like many people are doing it. I presume that's because you can't be invaded while on a mission? I tied it once, failed and never tried again. Invaded once and picked the guy out ezpz.
I believe uplay being shitty accounts for all the "not many people" reports. It's just 1v1, it shouldn't be that hard to get a match

edit: And yes, the purple bar has unlocks, like perks.

Gaz_RB

Man, some of these formulaic open world missions are starting to grate on me.

In an early story mission where
you have to drive a guy past cop blockades undetected was just the beginning. So until I meet up with him I can drive through his neighborhood in relative ease, but the very moment I pick him up everything is locked down with helicopters everywhere and I have to thread a needle.

No setup. No transition. No explanations. Just instamatic lockdown with instafail detections. Great.

But I make it past that missions and take a walk and start hacking phones. I then stumble upon a crime about to happen through these hacks. So I hoof it to the area where its supposed to go down and I'm too late, shots are fired, the victim is down, people are calling the cops and the perp is running. I start running after him, though he's pretty far ahead. I end up running after him into the street only to see that he's running directly into a blockade of cop cars, so I slow down and start walking the other way when the cops all open fire with their weapons, ON ME. What the hell?

Now I'm running down the street away from three cops cars full of peace officers who descend upon me and shoot me to death.

I might be getting too old for this shit, but it is 2014 right? These games are supposed to evolve these open world formulas right? Not just repeat the mistakes of other, better games?

And damnit, can the game remember when I want the radio off in my car? Or that I like to drive in first person? I had to redo that last mission a few times and each time it kept turning the radio back on and bouncing me to the rear camera, all while playing the exact same dialogue. Again, solved problems by other games in the genre.

This game is kindof driving me nuts. I'm trying to like it, but it keeps poking holes in itself.

Agree with most of this. The most annoying thing to me is that everytime you start up the game, the post mission dialogue or phone call for the last mission you played activates. So annoying.

Oh can you get hacked without even knowing you were hacked?

And is there even a reason to queue online? When I do it I can't seem to do any missions while in the long queue?

There are really not many benefits to hacking other players, other than the fun factor. ou get 1000 xp and some cash. It's really up to you though. And you can't get hacked without knowing, but you can get tailed without knowing.

So I know Aiden will throw his hands in the air when the cops come and he does nothing, but what happens if I'm running and shooting and then decide to fake surrender. They just keep on shooting me when I get out and stay still.

Once you've started shooting at them, surrender is no longer an option!

Just a little confused about the online? Do you unlock something from filling out the purple bar? On PC it doesn't seem like many people are doing it. I presume that's because you can't be invaded while on a mission? I tied it once, failed and never tried again. Invaded once and picked the guy out ezpz.

You just gain notoriety and skill points, not to mention online perks and a bounty if there's one going for the hackee

Chabbles

So i cancelled my ps+ sub last week, is it worth renewing for WD's online ?.. and do any of the unlockables relating to the online carry over into the single player (perks, skills, whatever) ?

And you get to hear all the dialog over again... and again and again.

Then you mute.

One thing GTAIV had was its different in-car dialogue when you replayed certain missions, which was a nice touch.

And damnit, can the game remember when I want the radio off in my car? Or that I like to drive in first person? I had to redo that last mission a few times and each time it kept turning the radio back on and bouncing me to the rear camera, all while playing the exact same dialogue. Again, solved problems by other games in the genre.

There's an option for the radio.

Sothpaw

So i cancelled my ps+ sub last week, is it worth renewing for WD's online ?.. and do any of the unlockables relating to the online carry over into the single player (perks, skills, whatever) ?

Honestly from the little I have played, if you're just getting PS+ for WD online, I would say save your money. It's just a little side distraction.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
These are the rewards for online I guess, I'm not really sure about what if anything applies back to singeplayer:

Online Tailing:
Here are the awards:
SG-90 weapon : You need to invade and successfully observe one enemy fixer.
SO Vector .45ACP weapon : You need to invade and successfully observe five enemy fixers.
Piggyback Achievement/Trophy: Complete 10 Online Tailing.

Online Race:
Here are the awards:
Livraga LE car: Complete 9 online races.
Superhighway Achievement/Trophy: Complete 10 Online Races.

Online Hacking:
OCP-11: You need to invade and successfully hack one enemy fixer.
MP-9mm: You need to invade and successfully hack five enemy fixers.
Hackification Achievement/Trophy: Complete 10 Online Hacking.

Online Decryption:
Chicago Way Loadout: Win 3 times.
Firepower Loadout: Win 5 times.
Heavy Duty Loadout: Win 10 times.

sjay1994

Just hacked a player while hiding in a dumpster.

I love invasions.

Also, I just saw the most depressing thing.

Saw a dead body and a gun ingame and you can hack into his phone and learn he is a dad, and his son called saying his grand kids want to visit, and that his dad isn't a burden. Turns out, the dad was diagnosed with cancer, and killed himself so he wouldn't burden his family.

Shit hit hard.

I love invasions.

Saw a dead body and a gun ingame and you can hack into his phone and learn he is a dad, and his son called saying his grand kids want to visit, and that his dad isn't a burden. Turns out, the dad was diagnosed with cancer, and killed himself so he wouldn't burden his family.

Shit hit hard.

Holy shit

jtenma

Banned

Honestly from the little I have played, if you're just getting PS+ for WD online, I would say save your money. It's just a little side distraction.

According to this:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/704529-watch-dogs/69315995

You dont need PS+ for some online modes like invasions.

...Interesting.

Predwolf

Same here, I like being invaded. It would be annoying if it happened all the time but once per hour or so would be nice.

Just had another hacking invasion - there might be something to this. It might have just been launch issues like every game has. We need somebody with high "good" rep to stay up there and see if they get invaded at all.

Just had another hacking invasion - there might be something to this. It might have just been launch issues like every game has. We need somebody with high "good" rep to stay up there and see if they get invaded at all.

I was just above neutral last night and got invaded a few times at least. All day today I was maxed out and didn't get a single invasion. I went on a rampage and ended up having loads of fun with the police, got it up to five stars and my rep was in the negative but eventually got killed, respawned and it was back in the positives. Last autosave loaded I guess, but I have to get to bed so i'll get it lowered again tomorrow and roam around to see if it works. Hopefully!

Gaz_RB

Finally got into 4v4 Decryption match. Crazy fun trying to get the file and then create a perimeter in an attempt to hold it down. My team set up on this rooftop until we started getting overran, then we all hopped in a truck and took off. Too fun.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

I love invasions.

Shit hit hard.

oh my fuck

george_us

In terms of world building this game is incredible but it when it comes to actually being a game Watch_Dogs is so...unsatisfying. The missions are about as generic as you can get, the shooting isn't satisfying at all, hacking feels shallow, driving feels awful. So far it's been such a thoroughly mediocre experience that it's heartbreaking. I shouldn't be surprised since this has been Ubi's MO for years now. Create an awesome premise and utterly fail on delivering on said premise. Like I said, it's heartbreaking since this is probably the most immersive open world I've ever experienced. Here's hoping GTAVI blows the doors off of everything.

SZips

Tonight was the second time I bothered to play it after a 45 minute go on the initial release day. It's slightly growing on me but I'm still not really feeling it yet. So far, most fights feel a bit formulaic. That is, you go and scope everything out via the cameras, mark where everyone is, take out as many as you can with the environment and then go in and mop up the rest.

Maybe things change as the game progresses but even the tone and flow of the story just feels off.

The driving is still just absolutely terrible feeling and I'm not sure I'll ever get used to that.

ttech10

Any tips for someone horrendous at online hacking? Trailing felt amazingly simple but I feel like I can't even being the hack on the person before they see me, no matter what their "defense" level is.

I can't believe I'm supposed to do this 10 times.

In terms of world building this game is incredible but it when it comes to actually being a game Watch_Dogs is so...unsatisfying. The missions are about as generic as you can get, the shooting isn't satisfying at all, hacking feels shallow, driving feels awful. So far it's been such a thoroughly mediocre experience that it's heartbreaking. I shouldn't be surprised since this has been Ubi's MO for years now. Create an awesome premise and utterly fail on delivering on said premise. Like I said, it's heartbreaking since this is probably the most immersive open world I've ever experienced. Here's hoping GTAVI blows the doors off of everything.

Hacking feels shallow? You can take out a whole gang just by using hacks.
Shooting isn't satisfying? How can it be better it feels just like any other game. Honestly i think it feels better than GTA5.
Driving feels awful? I compare it to Need For Speed. Taking out cop cars left and right using the environment.

One thing GTAIV had was its different in-car dialogue when you replayed certain missions, which was a nice touch.
Not only was it different dialog, but if you failed enough and exhausted the dialog, they would just stop talking; even nicer touch.

If I've failed enough times, please shut the hell up; I don't need you in my ear when I'm in focus mode.

Braag

Started playing yesterday and man I'm loving it so far.
I haven't got used to the car controls yet though. I'm too used to the heavy and sluggish feel of cars similar to GTA or L.A. Noire :S
In WD the vehicles feel easier to maneuver.

Gaz_RB

Any tips for someone horrendous at online hacking? Trailing felt amazingly simple but I feel like I can't even being the hack on the person before they see me, no matter what their "defense" level is.

Wait, you can't even get to the hacking part?

Make sure you're blending in when in eyesight, and if not, try to use the environment as cover. Once you hack them, you have a minute to find a very dense, multi level area. Then you find a nice hiding spot and begin the hack. Have an escape route ready in your mind.

Joeki11a

Banned
WTF is up with the story?

I been trying to get into it and it is all sluggish
Uneventful...boring?

Come on the premise seems interesting
But its delivery is soo bad.

Sounds like you're rushing in. You've got 4 minutes to find them, scope out the area, and daft as it sounds, get into character - either by sharpening up your driving or walking normally.

Almost every hack I failed was me sprinting in, stopping when I thought I was safe and suddenly they come barrelling around the corner catching me with my pants down

K' Dash

Is people having trouble invading on PS4? I just keep getting disconnected over and over again, the two times I could get in a match it disconnected shortly after.

The games is cool, but I'm getting frustrated with this.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Can someone please convince me to buy this game on PS4? I kinda want it because I love Assassin's Creed and the multiplayer seems just my style but at the same time I'm so devastated by the poor visual quality / resolution that I don't want to spend money on it.

leng jai

Pretty much disagree with everything you said. The shooting is far better than GTA has ever managed. In fact, I'd say Watch Dogs is one of the better titles in terms of open world games with actual fun "gaming".

Top Bottom