• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

dallow_bg

nods at old men
No way to disable some of the HUD, especially that dumb battery icon in the lower left?
Man, can't do long sessions if so.

So far, not a big fan of the game, but I'm going to give it more of a chance.

Can someone please convince me to buy this game on PS4? I kinda want it because I love Assassin's Creed and the multiplayer seems just my style but at the same time I'm so devastated by the poor visual quality / resolution that I don't want to spend money on it.

If you love AC, you'll probably dig this. And the resolution stuff is way overblown and not at all important in the grand scheme of things. If the game seems appealing to you, you'll likely enjoy it.

Can someone please convince me to buy this game on PS4? I kinda want it because I love Assassin's Creed and the multiplayer seems just my style but at the same time I'm so devastated by the poor visual quality / resolution that I don't want to spend money on it.

It looks pretty good. Nowhere near E3 2012 good but it looks nice overall. The 900p is noticeable, but it's at least got a pretty decent post-process AA that doesn't completely blur the image out.

GrizzNKev

Banned
If you love AC, you'll probably dig this. And the resolution stuff is way overblown and not at all important in the grand scheme of things. If the game seems appealing to you, you'll likely enjoy it.

It looks pretty good. Nowhere near E3 2012 good but it looks nice overall. The 900p is noticeable, but it's at least got a pretty decent post-process AA that doesn't completely blur the image out.

Has anyone tried remote play? I use it a lot and poor remote play controls might upset me.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

The game looks fine and has excellent performance on the PS4.

Seriously, people exaggerate the poor visual fidelity to great extents sometimes. Does the game look as good as the 2012 reveal? Hell no. Does it have it's fair share of visual problems? Sure. But that shouldn't stop you from playing a game you'd probably enjoy.

It's fun, get it.

PS4 owners, quote me and give me your impressions. Should I buy this?

If you are ok with the last 20 pages of this thread, then go for it. Gameplay-wise the game is the same on all systems. Graphically it's not the E3 trailer. But it runs smooth on the PS4 and it's probably the system with the most players online.

Really wanted to make my first post more helpful than this, but whatever:

I've played for about 12 hours so far, and all of them have been with positive rep. I hadn't been invaded at all, however I had tailed and hacked many people. I decided to test the theory that being invaded is tied to your rep, and as soon as I got my rep down into neutral, I was invaded by a hacker.

Currently parked and waiting to confirm that it wasn't just a freak encounter.

Interesting. Any updates?

darknil

Okay, so today I bought this game, played for a couple of hours and I dpn't know how to feel about it.

I think the amount of information that you can get while walking down the streets is both very awesome and very overwhelming, in a bad way. But for that, I guess that is something you get used to.

I feel the pacing of the game to be very, very slow (not as AC3, but close), and very difficult to care for Aiden.

I've read here that invading other players is great, so I'm still pending to test online features. Apart from that, am I missing something? Does the story pick up the pace?

Edit: I've completed every AC and enjoyed it, even tried to 100% most of them, so I'm familiar with Ubi's open world attempts.

sjay1994

Loving some of the random conversations you overhear walking the streets.

Just heard a guy call someone and incompetent piece of shit for buying Boston Creams because there were no more Jelly filled. Guy who bought the donuts threated to kick his ass, and the other guy just said " boston creams are fine"

I really like walking around this city.

Well I just murder an entire block of people in the city district during the day for like 5 minutes and not one cop showed up.. is that a glitch ?
ytK7zdX.jpg

jtenma

Banned
Pretty much disagree with everything you said. The shooting is far better than GTA has even managed. In fact, I'd say Watch Dogs is one of the better titles in terms of open world games with actual fun "gaming".

I disagree with him as well. This game is probably going to end up as a cult hit like Sleeping dogs, Just Cause 2, and Red Faction: Guerilla.

Game is great. Really great. It plays sooo smooth too. They really got that framerate locked in nicely.

sjay1994

I disagree with him as well. This game is probably going to end up as a cult hit like Sleeping dogs, Just Cause 2, and Red Faction: Guerilla.

Game is great. Really great. It plays sooo smooth to. They really got that framerate locked in nicely.

Can't be a cult hit. Game is the fastest day 1 sell in ubi's history.

ttech10

Wait, you can't even get to the hacking part?

Make sure you're blending in when in eyesight, and if not, try to use the environment as cover. Once you hack them, you have a minute to find a very dense, multi level area. Then you find a nice hiding spot and begin the hack. Have an escape route ready in your mind.

I get to the part where you initialize the hack, but half the time I barely get there. The last time they were already hiding in a car garage and every other time it's obvious they know I'm in the game and waiting for me in a position to prevent me from hacking them.

I am found shortly after 75% every time. It's the hiding in the circle that really has me. I did finally get one, so I'm 1 for 5. I just hate that with those stats I'll be doing this 50 times just to get the trophy unlock. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow, my chances at getting a younger kid that isn't really sure what he's doing are pretty low right now. Not to mention the frustration that's growing when after a few minutes I finally find a match and it's someone with Very Strong defenses.

Oh yes, and my time right after posting this, the person was up on 10 story high building (with a Weak defense). This wasn't the first time a person was waiting high up on a building as I joined.

jtenma

Banned
Game is fucking awesome. get that shit while the MP is still super populated.

OH I GOT IT ALRIGHT! And love it.

Obviously, with more players/buyers, comes more complaints. Which is odd, this game has so much to do in it. Isn't that what we've been fighting for... more 'game'?

Gaz_RB

I get to the part where you initialize the hack, but half the time I barely get there. The last time they were already hiding in a car garage and every other time it's obvious they know I'm in the game and waiting for me in a position to prevent me from hacking them.

I am found shortly after 75% every time. It's the hiding in the circle that really has me. I did finally get one, so I'm 1 for 5. I just hate that with those stats I'll be doing this 50 times just to get the trophy unlock. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow, my chances at getting a younger kid that isn't really sure what he's doing are pretty low right now. Not to mention the frustration that's growing when after a few minutes I finally find a match and it's someone with Very Strong defenses.

It's really something you just have to keep at. I was pretty bad yesterday, and now I'm towards the top of the leader boards. I think the key is finding places that noone would think to look, in an area that is full of places no one think to look. And those places are usually up.

I'm about to stream some hacking here, if you want to pick up some tips: http://www.twitch.tv/gaz_rb

Opened all the recommended ports, still can't connect... this is getting really old, really fast. How many PC user's here are able to do multi-player other than mobile challenges? What, if anything did you need to do in order for it to work?

jtenma

Banned
It's really something you just have to keep at. I was pretty bad yesterday, and now I'm towards the top of the leader boards. I think the key is finding places that noone would think to look, in an area that is full of places no one think to look. And those places are usually up.

I'm about to stream some hacking here, if you want to pick up some tips: http://www.twitch.tv/gaz_rb

OHMAIGAH that is brilliant! Posing as a cop lmao!

EDIT: Welp, that didnt last long

K' Dash

If I could get in a match without getting disconnected, that would be great...

I'll check this disconnecting issue tomorrow, need some sleep, ugh...

Does anyone know how to do 1v1 hacking with a friend from PSN? I can do online free roam and that is it. When in online free roam it says "not available during online sessions" for other online contracts.

Pulled up in a car and hacked someone and parked it on the side of the road and shut it off while I hid inside. I then caused a crash by hacking the street lights. The guy was running around frantically looking for me. He ended up finding me at like 95%.

Just started up. Movement takes a while to get used to it feels like...same with driving.

What's up with Aiden's eyes too? Looks like he's done lines of Oxy. His pupils are huge.

Chanser

So far only one invasion, though my reputation is pretty high. I'm not really enjoying the fixers, chasing checkpoints is not my thing.

Aiden looks like Agent York.

I really like the online. I've only been invaded once though. Haven't even played any of the missions since I unlocked online. Guess I'll get back to that tomorrow.

ttech10

I'll give it a watch, I do need to take a break. I've actually gotten one more since I posted. I actually had to quickly find a very terrible spot and was able to avoid the person the last 10 seconds by walking slowly around a giant tree trunk.

I might run around some tomorrow looking for spots in different areas and trying to get tailed for that trophy (wouldn't happen to know by any chance if you have to let them succeed? I've been tailed a few times but only failed to stop them once).

Hopefully I continue my luck tomorrow with hacking and the time it takes to find a person lowers drastically.

And the mirror in the bathroom at your safehouse reflects nothing. Same as your car's mirrors. The left mirror stands out a bit with its huge blankness, but luckily you can't look directly into that impenetrable void because you're incapable of turning your head left when you're in first person view, because hackers I guess.

I dunno. I went into free roam and just drove and drove, which I do in any open world game that lets me. But like GTA4 there's a lot there but nothing to do - at least not in free roam. I know there is stuff in the main game proper, but man, there go any grandiose ideas of co-op shenanigans, which was my last hope.

This game just makes me want that GTAV re-release. Even the busted GTA Online was better than this.

I think the final straw for me was the Open Your World mission where
I had to infiltrate some building and hack a laptop on the the second floor. The first area was crawling with guards, several of which just wouldn't move, so I could try distracting em but fuck it, I pop up a barrier, hack-explode two explosive carrying soldiers (killed the first and only pissed off the second one. Hows that work?), gunned half of them down before heading into the door. Nobody followed after me. Of course not. I went through a door. Enemies don't follow you through doors. Pffffbbt, what was I even thinking?

Got some dialogue about how to continue to be sneaky (har, har) before heading into the second area, which was a sprawling multi-level affair and filled with guards. Contented happy guards that had no idea of the murderous rampage in the next area over, but still. Deciding to keep things simple I light em up, and move from cover to cover gunning everyone down. I guess reinforcements got called, but I didn't notice. Made my way upstairs to the laptop and did the hacking mini-game, and guess what - are you sitting down? In the cut-scene my hack was detected (because this game is Hollywood hacking writ large across all the IPs and internets) and put the place on full alert and literally in the very next moment the floor I was on was filled with guards searching for me - of course I had littered the place with dead bodies filled with assault rifle rounds, but I get the gaming sense that this would have happened regardless, because that's just how these games work. Go in guns blazing or stealth? Doesn't matter - the end result is the same.

So I got chased outside, evaded the cops sloppily, got the all clear, and then yawned.
Yeah. Well on the bright side this is a very nice walking in the night-time rain while staring at your phone simulator.

What's up with Aiden's eyes too? Looks like he's done lines of Oxy. His pupils are huge.

How often has he slept in your world? Gotta take something to stay up jogging around town for days on end.

On a more serious note, I'm still waiting for my E3 pre-order to arrive. It wouldn't be worth it if the price wasn't $39.99 (PS4).

It think in this game the side missions and mini games are not just set on top of the actual game with the main quests. In W_D they are part of the world, and not just a forced check of list to get 100% of the game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This game just makes me want that GTAV re-release. Even the busted GTA Online was better than this.

I think the final straw for me was the Open Your World mission where
I had to infiltrate some building and hack a laptop on the the second floor. The first area was crawling with guards, several of which just wouldn't move, so I could try distracting em but fuck it, I pop up a barrier, hack-explode two explosive carrying soldiers (killed the first and only pissed off the second one. Hows that work?), gunned half of them down before heading into the door. Nobody followed after me. Of course not. I went through a door. Enemies don't follow you through doors. Pffffbbt, what was I even thinking?

Got some dialogue about how to continue to be sneaky (har, har) before heading into the second area, which was a sprawling multi-level affair and filled with guards. Contented happy guards that had no idea of the murderous rampage in the next area over, but still. Deciding to keep things simple I light em up, and move from cover to cover gunning everyone down. I guess reinforcements got called, but I didn't notice. Made my way upstairs to the laptop and did the hacking mini-game, and guess what - are you sitting down? In the cut-scene my hack was detected (because this game is Hollywood hacking writ large across all the IPs and internets) and put the place on full alert and literally in the very next moment the floor I was on was filled with guards searching for me - of course I had littered the place with dead bodies filled with assault rifle rounds, but I get the gaming sense that this would have happened regardless, because that's just how these games work. Go in guns blazing or stealth? Doesn't matter - the end result is the same.

So I got chased outside, evaded the cops sloppily, got the all clear, and then yawned.
Yeah. Well on the bright side this is a very nice walking in the night-time rain while staring at your phone simulator.
You can do that entire mission without actually entering the building itself. Hacking cameras is your friend...

You can do that entire mission without actually entering the building itself. Hacking cameras is your friend...
Really? And you don't have to escape from alerted guards or use distraction items?

If so then I feel stupid, but also happy to be corrected because there's more there, there.

I think I'm going to shelf this until they patch out the aim assist when using a mouse.. it's so annoying. Hopefully someone just finds out how to do it without having to wait for ubisoft to do something, clearly they didn't care enough about the m/kb controls to have someone playtest them.

This game is amazing. It's addicting as hell and I love all the various touches and activities there are.

But the driving. Oh, the driving.

As others have mentioned, bikes are great.

But driving cars makes me want to dropkick a playground full of children.

The soundtrack is pretty trash as well. Do you unlock additional songs?

Other than those two gripes, I love the game, my favorite part being non lethal takedowns.

This game is amazing. It's addicting as hell and I love all the various touches and activities there are.

But the driving. Oh, the driving.

As others have mentioned, bikes are great.

But driving cars makes me want to dropkick a playground full of children.

The soundtrack is pretty trash as well. Do you unlock additional songs?

Other than those two gripes, I love the game, my favorite part being non lethal takedowns.

Are you playing on PC? Driving was awful until I switched to controller. I can drive REALLY well now.

GHG

Are you playing on PC? Driving was awful until I switched to controller. I can drive REALLY well now.

I find the driving a bit too sensitive... Its really difficult to drive with any degree of precision in this game. You never feel fully in control of the car, even at low speeds.

I'm loving everything else about the game though. Really fun gameworld they have created.

Top Bottom