• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Tekku

12ish hours in, and I've done a little bit of the story.

I like being a voyeur/vigilante the most. The privacy invasions can be creepy, funny and even really sad- it's a strange look into someone's life when they think no one is watching. The devs really had fun with writing some of those I bet! Also, tracing the Utility boxes to be hacked can be a fun wandering game in itself.

I've spent a lot of time walking in Chicago- no music, no hurry. Just observing some of the really neat NPC behaviors- juggling a soccer ball, taking tourist pictures, couples fighting, listening in on funny phone calls- the works. I've been pretty immersed in the lives of some these NPCs in ways that are unique inherently to this game. Taking care of criminals with a silent uzi and a baton beatdown still hasn't gotten old (I think I've done this at least 50 times already).

I can't get used to the cars- I really, really dislike the driving. I've just been cruising on a Chopper when absolutely necessary because the cars feel like an afterthought. The handling is pretty shit, the brake seems a bit unresponsive and it's almost like it's caught between pure arcade and something with more weight. It just doesn't feel right to me. And taking out contracts with an inability to shoot leads to hopeful street hacking, and car ramming a lot- it's compelled me to come up with some great assassination strategies, but it's challenging for the wrong reasons.

But the hacks are rad. Chasing down criminals and hacking explosive bits of the environment can be endlessly entertaining. Also, navigating some of the "Collectible" rooftops in time feels like a hide and seek flag race from Assassin's Creed. I haven't really taken part in much of the online- I kind of like my open world games spent in isolation. Rustic coat, Aiden strolling about with my edited playlist medley of Nas, and MGK. The soundtrack just leaves me feeling like it could've been so much more- but they've done a decent job of highlighting some of Chicago's music scene.

I'm having fun. I didn't get the same feel I had from playing Saints Row 2, or GTA4+5 for the first time, but it's been really relaxing. I think the aiming/gun mechanics are great and some of the interiors look absolutely unique and beautiful. I wish the hideouts were individualized, but they are also serviceable. I think some of the digital trip mission structure play like poor SR4 minigames, but they're a welcome addition and nice change of pace.

Nice impressions. How does the actual movement feel when going by foot? GiantBomb complained a bit about that.

SJRB

Gold Member
QcEftON.jpg

Cool as fuck. Severe rain/thunder storm during the day might even be more awesome than during the night.

L.O.R.D

You're offended that there are Muslims in Chicago?

I find this comment potentially offensive; it all depends on context. What are you insinuating, exactly? Is there a tenet of the Muslim faith that forbids them from being involved in that type of industry?

What do you find offensive?

I really hope it isn't some projected idea about the religion and the specified job, here's not enough data for it to be anything else though...

I've seen other religions too, I remember Scientology and Mormonism, there were probably more. Either way, I don't see what is offensive.

usually , you don't see the religion in this section

look at this for example
pZTnPK0.png

so, this man work is Muslim or waste management ?
they shouldn't put any religion like this
maybe work as activist or something

Kabouter

You see a random fact about a person, in this case it's that the person is a Muslim. I really don't see the problem. Three random people just now: "Former Athlete" "Smoker""Frequently watches Romance films". Basically, it's about as random as things about a person get.

For those having issues with the game freezing on the first loading screen after 'new game', try the following fix:

As per this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/882597-Crashing-after-quot-New-Game-quot-loading-screen

You have to move your Watch_Dogs installation from Program Files (x86) to just Program Files.

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\games

In there you will find a Watch_Dogs folder. Copy or move this folder to C:\Program Files\Ubisoft (please note that you'll have to create a Ubisoft folder in Program Files, though you can call it what ever you like).

Once you have done that, you have to tell uPlay that that is where the installation is. To do this you must edits the launchers registry key.

Go to start > run > regedit.exe and locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Ubisoft\La uncher\Installs\274

modify "InstallDir" to C:\Program Files\Ubisoft

And Roberts ya mothers brother! I just tried this after two nights of verifying files to no success and it worked first launch.

SJRB

Gold Member

look at this for example

pZTnPK0.png

so, this man work is muslim or waste management ?
they shouldn't put religion like this

Looking for controversy, are we? The profiler shows a random piece of information. It is NOT singling out muslims or any other religion for that matter.

Don't make this weird.

RedAssedApe

Banned
learning to use the hand break made driving much better for me...now its bearable. police chases are still annoying though. some times i'll do a hack to cause a pile up and then get out of my car to shoot the cop just so he'll stop following.

i guess they wanted you to concentrate on hacking but still seems weird that they don't allow you to shoot your guns while on vehicles. that and the little bumping manuever was what made sleeping dogs so fun when you were in a chase with some baddies (let's not talk about the action hijack though lol that was silly).

tehPete

Banned

look at this for example

pZTnPK0.png

I imagine there are plenty of people that would put their faith before all else. Of course this only applies if this weren't a randomly returned database entry with no real relevance in the slightest.

For the chuckles - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DVQ0BYLDE

Carbonox

Looking for controversy, are we? The profiler shows a random piece of information. It is NOT singling out muslims or any other religion for that matter.

Don't make this weird.

It's a fucking daft thing to get nitpicky over.

Enjoy the randomness, wackyness and irrelevance of the profiles.

tehPete

Banned
Yeah I realised that too, was just using it to keep my morals in check.

The game broke my immersion on that front a couple of hours in, sadly. I don't even check now, I just drive around slowly and mash the hack button.

It's a shame, because a little bit of effort could have really made the moral hacker a viable playstyle. When I started, my first thought when I found someone down on their luck was 'I wish I could give them some money', but the game doesn't allow for that.

Dominator

So I've purchased all of the weapons and clothing available. Is the only thing left to buy in the entire game the vehicles? Aside from the little drinks you can buy of course.

Lucent

I dunno what's up, but suddenly I can't reload Watch_Dogs from Continue. I've attempted to do it like 3 times now after putting my PS4 in standby mode. Digital version.

pahamrick

Ubisoft really needs to implement some sort of punishment for frequent disconnecters. Twice in a row I've got the disconnect error when hitting over 90% in the 1 on 1 hacking.

Hasney

So yeah, even after a reinstall the bug appears again. It was fun Watch_Doge but I'm just not able to play you like it's supposed to be. I'm close to breaking things, I was really looking forward to playing this fucking game.

I had that bug once and restarting the game fixed it. I guess it must have something to do with save files then and luckily, mine hadn't auto-saved yet.

Lucent

So yeah, even after a reinstall the bug appears again. It was fun Watch_Doge but I'm just not able to play you like it's supposed to be. I'm close to breaking things, I was really looking forward to playing this fucking game.

What's going on? All I can tell from the pics is you can't stop aiming or something.

And I can't even play now for some reason. I don't know what's up...

Linius

I had that bug once and restarting the game fixed it. I guess it must have something to do with save files then and luckily, mine hadn't auto-saved yet.

Only thing I can do is start a new game again and pray to the seven Gods I can finally holster my gun. The stupid thing is I didn't even want to take out my gun in the first place but he does it automatically at the point where you have to distract the guard to get upstairs to the VIP room. I was hoping to get trough the tutorial mission to see if it works after that.

What's going on? All I can tell from the pics is you can't stop aiming or something.

And I can't even play now for some reason. I don't know what's up...

I can't holster my gun. So yeah, I have to walk trough the whole game like in those screenshots. Can't enter cars.

Lima

I dunno what's up, but suddenly I can't reload Watch_Dogs from Continue. I've attempted to do it like 3 times now after putting my PS4 in standby mode. Digital version.

Does the loading bar go to like 90% and is stuck there? If so your save is corrupt and you have to start a new game. Happened to me twice already.

Dunno if this has been posted ... interesting tidbit ..

NRHeLh6.png

still enjoying the game immensely tho, however repetitive the side missions are

I will say tho, that Ubi will have to renew some of their animations / write a few hundred thousand more lines of code for their next release, and stop with the Factory Conveyor Belt means of gluing a game together. One example - Enemy Animations are straight out of Far Cry 3, the AI too ... as handy and as profitable this is, it sorta stifles creativity no?

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice, enjoyable game, but It's like playing Far Cry 3 with a different skin.

Some Nobody

I used to, but then realised that the game couldn't give a toss and there's no persistance - peds are randomly generated herd resource.

Income doesn't bug me much, but the random fact will usually be the deciding factor. One guy said "Is letting a homeless person stay with them" and I just considered that person MUCH too kind to rob.

look at this for example

pZTnPK0.png

It goes:

Random Outstanding Fact in white box
Career second.

For that guy apparently the most noticeable thing about him...is that he's a Muslim. I'm not sure how it's offensive, though. Means he's kinda boring, I guess. But not offensive.

The game broke my immersion on that front a couple of hours in, sadly. I don't even check now, I just drive around slowly and mash the hack button.

It's a shame, because a little bit of effort could have really made the moral hacker a viable playstyle. When I started, my first thought when I found someone down on their luck was 'I wish I could give them some money', but the game doesn't allow for that.

Let's hope it's implemented into the inevitable sequel. I think it would be brilliant to add a Infamous style Morality system where you can decide what you do based on the information you have on civilians and enemies.

Definitely potential in this franchise if they added some more gameplay elements that aren't directly ripped out of other Ubisoft games. Although I got to say the Ctos towers are super fun. More fun that AC towers and Farcry ones.

Lucent

Does the loading bar go to like 90% and is stuck there? If so your save is corrupt and you have to start a new game. Happened to me twice already.

Yeah I guess about 90%. If so, I'm just not going to bother with the game until Ubisoft gets their crap straight...

EDIT: Yep. It just sits there. I let it sit at 90% for like 15 minutes. Never budges after. So stupid. I was really enjoying the game. But it's not worth starting over repeatedly with the chance that your save will be corrupted. They better patch this quick.

anddo0

Why can't I successfully hack anyone :(

I wonder how the matchmaking works for this.

If someone has an advanced skill tree, you're not hacking them. The anti-hack skills are too strong. The victim basically has to wait it out until the search narrows down to a very specific area. The first 75% or so of the hack are worthless. When you get past 75%, you need to get crafty.. Best tip, act like an NPC, drive a shitty car, drive slow, stop at stop lights, turn the way they turn etc... Oh, and use elevation, you'd be surprised how many people don't search upper levels.

failgubbe

I wonder how the matchmaking works for this.

If someone has an advanced skill tree, you're not hacking them. The anti-hack skills are too strong. The victim basically has to wait it out until the search narrows down to a very specific area. The first 75% or so of the hack are worthless. When you get past 75%, you need to get crafty.. Best tip, act like an NPC, drive a shitty car, drive slow, stop at stop lights, turn the way they turn etc... Oh, and use elevation, you'd be surprised how many people don't search upper levels.

The best way is to hide on the roofs of the train stations imo, i've never failed when i have hid there

arhra

mmmm, what with the screenshot ?

it was normal , when i took a screen shot, this happen
the words is misplaced ?

The words are scrambled like that as the profiler window is animating in/out. You probably took a screenshot just as you lost focus on the guy.

SHADES

Agreed, that would be really cool if you hacked someone & they got a txt saying "xxxx bank successfully cleared $$$$ into your account. Have a nice day." Would help create a Robin Hood style character, to which I could totally get behind.

Kikarian

Really wish they would patch in the ability to shoot out of the car.

I thought they would have included something that basic into the game.

broony

Really wish they would patch in the ability to shoot out of the car.

I thought they would have included something that basic into the game.
It won't be because they couldn't. It will be because they chose not to from a design perspective. It's not something they could patch, all the pursuit missions would function completely differently and would have to be redesigned from the ground up.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Dunno if this has been posted ... interesting tidbit ..
still enjoying the game immensely tho, however repetitive the side missions are

I will say tho, that Ubi will have to renew some of their animations / write a few hundred thousand more lines of code for their next release, and stop with the Factory Conveyor Belt means of gluing a game together. One example - Enemy Animations are straight out of Far Cry 3, the AI too ... as handy and as profitable this is, it sorta stifles creativity no?

Don't get me wrong, it's a nice, enjoyable game, but It's like playing Far Cry 3 with a different skin.

I'll just say, don't trust /v/ ever when it comes to "legitimate" devs. Of course there has been a number of actual developers go to /v/, but it is rather hard to tell troll from legitimate comment. Not saying their opinion is disregarded, its clear having so many people working on the game has caused problems, but yeah, /v/.

And the mirror in the bathroom at your safehouse reflects nothing. Same as your car's mirrors. The left mirror stands out a bit with its huge blankness, but luckily you can't look directly into that impenetrable void because you're incapable of turning your head left when you're in first person view, because hackers I guess.

I dunno. I went into free roam and just drove and drove, which I do in any open world game that lets me. But like GTA4 there's a lot there but nothing to do - at least not in free roam. I know there is stuff in the main game proper, but man, there go any grandiose ideas of co-op shenanigans, which was my last hope.

This game just makes me want that GTAV re-release. Even the busted GTA Online was better than this.

I think the final straw for me was the Open Your World mission where
I had to infiltrate some building and hack a laptop on the the second floor. The first area was crawling with guards, several of which just wouldn't move, so I could try distracting em but fuck it, I pop up a barrier, hack-explode two explosive carrying soldiers (killed the first and only pissed off the second one. Hows that work?), gunned half of them down before heading into the door. Nobody followed after me. Of course not. I went through a door. Enemies don't follow you through doors. Pffffbbt, what was I even thinking?

Got some dialogue about how to continue to be sneaky (har, har) before heading into the second area, which was a sprawling multi-level affair and filled with guards. Contented happy guards that had no idea of the murderous rampage in the next area over, but still. Deciding to keep things simple I light em up, and move from cover to cover gunning everyone down. I guess reinforcements got called, but I didn't notice. Made my way upstairs to the laptop and did the hacking mini-game, and guess what - are you sitting down? In the cut-scene my hack was detected (because this game is Hollywood hacking writ large across all the IPs and internets) and put the place on full alert and literally in the very next moment the floor I was on was filled with guards searching for me - of course I had littered the place with dead bodies filled with assault rifle rounds, but I get the gaming sense that this would have happened regardless, because that's just how these games work. Go in guns blazing or stealth? Doesn't matter - the end result is the same.

So I got chased outside, evaded the cops sloppily, got the all clear, and then yawned.
Yeah. Well on the bright side this is a very nice walking in the night-time rain while staring at your phone simulator.

Someone posted a while back this is clearly one of those game's where you get out of it what you put in, take that to heart man.

I did that mission without being detected, I entered the building but darted from camera to camera and even lured the final guard-cam to the hacking area.

Invasions are the greatest thing to happen in a while. I was on a rooftop and the guy was coming my way and would've caught me if he walked around the corner but thinking quick I used blackout and he literally scraped up against me and got pissed and started shooting people. The cops took care of him for me and I won. Lol

Top Bottom