• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Jobbs

Banned
What alway works for me is taking it to the water near a boat. Get on the boat, hide under a bridge and you are good to go.

Cop chases are annoying in this game, and they seem somewhat imbalanced in the sense that they can be overwhelmingly hard to escape from or pretty easy, just depending on where you are.

My strategy is just to get a motorcycle or fast car and head for the nearest freeway and go straight, this seems to work. Even escape helicopters this way.

I have to say that as a Polish person it disappoints me that there are no Polish speaking citizens, no Polish stores and I've yet to profile someone with a Polish name.

The population of Chicago is 2.7 million, 1.1 of which are of Polish descent. It has the largest Polish population of any city outside of Poland, yet not a single hint of polish presence in the game.

I actually have heard a random NPC make a Polish reference. I didn't get it, but now after reading your comment it makes sense, lol.

hbkdx12

-Evading cops is really hard. I tried to outrun them in a car but couldn't so I ditched the car and went inside a construction zone of some sort to lose their sight but they always kept finding me. Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Hacking, always be hacking

Make your hacking skill tree a priority. Specfically environmental hacks like steam pipes, blockers, Train etc.

Makes police chases a bit more effortless but far more engaging and rewarding.

Chitown B

Causing traffic light crashes never gets old

especially when it results in a ball of fire.

But ive noticed people get in accidents on their own as well. They get out, argue, etc.

Most alive open world city ever.

I got the transformer hack, and then did one - it blacked out the section of the city and when I rounded a corner - off in the distance a bunch of cars exploded at a stop light. It was awesome.

Chitown B

Early on in GTA5, I had the best experience with an ambulance. Saw a girl getting mugged. Chased the guy down and ran him over. Hung around as the ambulance eventually showed up. Before they did, there was a guy walking down the street who took notice of the dead thief. Ambulance hits and kills this poor schmuck as they pull up. Their tire is on his dead body, so as they are examining the dead thief, I back up the ambulance to see if they notice. They did, and they start CPR, only to say something like "poor bastard" while shaking their heads. They get back in and drive away leaving two dead bodies...one of which was their own doing. It was just the best little instance.

LOL. I run over so many people just trying to get to one person to save them in WD.

Finally got to play this last night albeit for only a couple of hours and frigging love it. It's pretty much everything I was expecting and hoping for. Not that it's without flaws but, damn, if this isn't one of the most immersive open world games I've played! It differs itself from Rockstar's series enough that I feel like I could play this and GTAV on the same day and enjoy them both independantly for their own merits.

Hats off to Ubi Montreal for a great first outing in a new franchise!

Yasae

Banned
People do get in their own crashes. Also car physics are exaggerated when cars wreck at an intersection if it results from you hacking the light. There's a little "push" to it... Which I think is nice.

So I'm walking down the street profiling people. I then get to someone I couldn't profile, he looked suspicious. He then whips out his phone, I freak out thinking I'm getting invaded and pull out my pistol and kill him. Turns out it was just an npc trying to make a call. This game makes me paranoid.

Green Yoshi

BowesPUIUAAgICg.jpg:large

;)

dex3108

[Server Status] The Watch Dogs servers for PS3, PS4 and PC are currently undergoing maintenance. This will also affect multiplayer matchmaking. Maintenance will be at 11:30AM EST and should last for about 30 minutes. We apologize for the inconvenience as we appreciate your cooperation and patience.

by Ubisoft Support.

hbkdx12

People do get in their own crashes. Also car physics are exaggerated when cars wreck at an intersection if it results from you hacking the light. There's a little "push" to it... Which I think is nice.

It's so weird, it's like they all go racing into the intersection.

It's cool to watch but it freaked me out the first time i did it haha

Yasae

Banned
Interesting to note that you can warp into cars (like those twins in The Matrix Reloaded!) when performing a hack on another player, if the game deems it suitable. My first hack against another player resulted in me getting warped to a super fast lambo on the highway. I had to follow him and hack him when I chose.

I wasn't expecting that, but it was cool.

Getting away from the police is easy as hell no matter where you are. Once you hack the helicopter and it's down for like 30 seconds, you can drive away to an open field and just take cover behind a car.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah it's been fairly hit or miss for me too :/
Yeah it's just all over the place, I could get a couple matches in a row, then two 10-minute "no players found" waits in a row....

Got to 91% hacking someone yesterday by hiding on the little ledge near the water under a bridge. I had an escape plan ready to go to but just felt like I was safe and foolishly stopped watching the street. Dude dropped down on me and I could only swim a few feet before getting murdered.

hbkdx12

Has Ubi said anything about not getting the Season Pass stuff? I mean, I know the T-Bone stuff hasn't released, but surely the rest of it?

Seems like mums the word thus far but it seems like Ubi's got a lot of shit to sort around involve the launch of this game. I imagine it'll probably be another week or so before they get all their shit sorted. The server/connection issue is top priority and they'll probably try to bang that out by the weekend

GD71

Banned
I'm loving this game. Though it took me a while to understand what I assume to be a North Americanism? One of the side missions requires you to "knock down" your target. So three times in a row I cleaned out the bad guys then got in a car and ran him over. Fail. In the UK is some is knocked down, it's generally taken as knocked down by a car, ie run over. The game, of course, wanted me to melee him. Doh.

Honestly, I have never used my guns in the single player asides from one forced point in the last mission in act 1. I have been a ghost using cameras most of the time.
Just to be clear on my gripes, I do know that I could have stealthed it, even if not by way of the cameras. My gripe has nothing to do with not being able to stealth. Its how the mission played out when I decided to take the violent path. It felt broken and thoroughly disconnected from how the mission was scripted to play out.

And from what I'm reading here, the final part of the mission would indeed play out the same way, regardless of whether I stealthed it or went in guns blazing, though how the player deals with it can be very different.

Certinty

Some of the side stuff is amazing. Burning Bridges in Gang Hideouts is great, felt like an actual mission in a Splinter Cell game.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
The more I play this, the more I think it should have just been delayed for another year.
Car damage is nearly non-existent. You can ram several vehicles and your car will still look fine. You can scrape past walls and other cars but there will be no paint damage at all.

Not being able to shoot while driving a car makes car chases entirely reliant on hacking, which becomes very repetitive after a while. It also doesn't help that it seems to be impossible to outrun your pursuers without hacking, no matter how fast your vehicle is and how shitty theirs is.

Some of the sound effects are absolutely atrocious. Every car sounds like a lawnmower and they all have that same damn stupidly annoying horn. And some of the guns sound horrible.

No car/weapon customization at all. You can only change the color of your clothes.

No police patrols or cars anywhere; police will only appear once they get called by a witness and you can't evade the scan, then they disappear when they've lost you.

A witness call is the only way the police will ever show up outside missions; they do not care if you blow up a convoy, destroy public property, cause a massive crash, hit civilians with your car or speed along the highway bumping every car of the road.

Karma system serves no purpose and is inconsistent. You get bad karma for injuring or killing civilians, but not for ramming their cars at full speed or stealing their car.

Once you get the police after you, they will always hunt you down with lethal force.

If you blow up a car in a criminal convoy with a remote explosive, the rest of the convoy will instantly be aware of your location and chase you down.

Enemies will blindly open fire on the last spot they saw you in and just continue doing that until you kill them or sneak around them.

All destructible elements just fall apart in identical bits regardless of the severity and angle of the actual hit.

The 'radio' in the cars isn't really radio but more just a random collection of songs repeating itself.

The constant 'remote profiling' notifications of 'Crime noticed here', 'Fixer job there', etc. is annoying. Why can't I discover things on my own pace and when I want to?

You can't use raised forklifts or garage doors to crush enemies.

You can buy cars in the car app, but some of them can also be unlocked by challenges. The game never tells you this, so you'll have to go through the challenges to find out which ones you don't have to drop money on.

Money isn't that useful actually. You can just steal cars from the street without penalty and faster cars don't help a thing in chases. You could buy some crafting components, but you'll never run out anyway if you just use them only when you need to. You could buy clothes, but they're just different color sets of the standard clothes. It's also so damn easy to get tons of money. You could buy weapons, but the silenced pistol is pretty much all you need.

Random invisible walls.

Stealth missions in which getting noticed gets you a game over. Why? Just let me improvise...

Everybody in Chicago recognizes Aiden as the vigilante, but somehow his identity is a complete mystery to the bad guys and it must be kept a secret.

Dumb AI.

No bullet impact effects on the environment or enemies.

You can just hack your way through some hostile areas without setting foot in them. However, even if you don't get spotted or set foot in the restricted area, if you walk past an enemy after they've become 'suspicious' while outside the hostile area, the enemies will attack you despite having no reason to.

No real-time reflections.

There is a first-person view for driving, but you can't look around while in it, which makes it a pain in the ass.

Car handling is ugghhhhh....

I walked out of a pawn-shop and saw a car crash into the one in front of it. The drivers got out and just.... stood there. That's it. No conversation, no interaction, no argument; they just stood there complaining to themselves. In the middle of the road.

You can sometimes see an Ambulance driving around with sirens on, but it'll just drive around in circles, not going to an actual accident or something. They don't show up when you cause a crash by hacking traffic lights.​
And the list goes on.

It's still a solid game and I'm still having fun with it, but this really is not what Ubi promised it would be. I expected something a lot more polished, diverse and detailed.

I hope the sequel gives us more tools to go non-lethal/cripple.

I'm talking... tear gas grenades (and give Aiden an accompanying gas mask when deploying it), stun guns, tasers, more hacks, flashbangs, chaining melee to fight off multiple combatants in CQC.

We've got lots of lethal maneuvering, I want more non-lethal stuff. I go lethal when my enemies are hardcore criminals or psychos or something. But otherwise, I want to limit casualties.

I'm expecting Watch_Dogs 2 to be a massive step-up like Assassin's Creed 2 was, or Far Cry 2/3 was (mechanically anyway).

I am loving the game a ton though. I have a feeling it'll end up being my GOTY depending on how Alien: Isolation goes.

bargeparty

The more I play this, the more I think it should have just been delayed for another year.
Car damage is nearly non-existent. You can ram several vehicles and your car will still look fine. You can scrape past walls and other cars but there will be no paint damage at all.

Not being able to shoot while driving a car makes car chases entirely reliant on hacking, which becomes very repetitive after a while. It also doesn't help that it seems to be impossible to outrun your pursuers without hacking, no matter how fast your vehicle is and how shitty theirs is.

Some of the sound effects are absolutely atrocious. Every car sounds like a lawnmower and they all have that same damn stupidly annoying horn. And some of the guns sound horrible.

No car/weapon customization at all. You can only change the color of your clothes.

No police patrols or cars anywhere; police will only appear once they get called by a witness and you can't evade the scan, then they disappear when they've lost you.

A witness call is the only way the police will ever show up outside missions; they do not care if you blow up a convoy, destroy public property, cause a massive crash, hit civilians with your car or speed along the highway bumping every car of the road.

Karma system serves no purpose and is inconsistent. You get bad karma for injuring or killing civilians, but not for ramming their cars at full speed or stealing their car.

Once you get the police after you, they will always hunt you down with lethal force.

If you blow up a car in a criminal convoy with a remote explosive, the rest of the convoy will instantly be aware of your location and chase you down.

Enemies will blindly open fire on the last spot they saw you in and just continue doing that until you kill them or sneak around them.

All destructible elements just fall apart in identical bits regardless of the severity and angle of the actual hit.

The 'radio' in the cars isn't really radio but more just a random collection of songs repeating itself.

The constant 'remote profiling' notifications of 'Crime noticed here', 'Fixer job there', etc. is annoying. Why can't I discover things on my own pace and when I want to?

You can't use raised forklifts or garage doors to crush enemies.

You can buy cars in the car app, but some of them can also be unlocked by challenges. The game never tells you this, so you'll have to go through the challenges to find out which ones you don't have to drop money on.

Money isn't that useful actually. You can just steal cars from the street without penalty and faster cars don't help a thing in chases. You could buy some crafting components, but you'll never run out anyway if you just use them only when you need to. You could buy clothes, but they're just different color sets of the standard clothes. It's also so damn easy to get tons of money. You could buy weapons, but the silenced pistol is pretty much all you need.

Random invisible walls.

Stealth missions in which getting noticed gets you a game over. Why? Just let me improvise...

Everybody in Chicago recognizes Aiden as the vigilante, but somehow his identity is a complete mystery to the bad guys and it must be kept a secret.

Dumb AI.

You can just hack your way through some hostile areas without setting foot in them. However, even if you don't get spotted or set foot in the restricted area, if you walk past an enemy after they've become 'suspicious' while outside the hostile area, the enemies will attack you despite having no reason to.

There is a first-person view for driving, but you can't look around while in it, which makes it a pain in the ass.

Car handling is ugghhhhh....

I walked out of a pawn-shop and saw a car crash into the one in front of it. The drivers got out and just.... stood there. That's it. No conversation, no interaction, no argument; they just stood there complaining to themselves. In the middle of the road.

You can sometimes see an Ambulance driving around with sirens on, but it'll just drive around in circles, not going to an actual accident or something. They don't show up when you cause a crash by hacking traffic lights.​
And the list goes on.

It's still a solid game and I'm still having fun with it, but this really is not what Ubi promised it would be. I expected something a lot more polished, diverse and detailed.

Meh, just leave the improvements for Watch_Dogs 2. No reason to have delayed this release any longer. Wouldn't change anything.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
How's this game compare to GTA 4? I bought into the hype and preordered it but deciding whether or not to return it. I wasn't a huge fan of GTA 4's repetitiveness and fetch missions. Felt very stale to me. Is this game more action-oriented / have a more complex story?

Setsuna

so it turns out after all i did the only problem was that my Save is not working

im kinda mad right now i was right at the end of act 4

hbkdx12

The way i look at it, a lot of those points are valid, some of them i would contest but if a person could compile a list like that and still walk away feeling like the game is worthwhile then it must be doing something right. Especially for a new IP. The obvious expectation is that a sequel would negate a lot of these issues

I hope the sequel gives us more tools to go non-lethal/cripple.

I'm talking... tear gas grenades (and give Aiden an accompanying gas mask when deploying it), stun guns, tasers, more hacks, flashbangs, chaining melee to fight off multiple combatants in CQC.

We've got lots of lethal maneuvering, I want more non-lethal stuff. I go lethal when my enemies are hardcore criminals or psychos or something. But otherwise, I want to limit casualties.

I'm expecting Watch_Dogs 2 to be a massive step-up like Assassin's Creed 2 was, or Far Cry 2/3 was (mechanically anyway).

I am loving the game a ton though. I have a feeling it'll end up being my GOTY depending on how Alien: Isolation goes.

I feel all that added stealth stuff is probably the natural progression for things to add in a sequel but it kind of worries me because at that point the stealth is basically just full on splinter cell and i feel like that could potentially overshadow the hacking aspect.

HelloMeow

Some of the points you made are not entirely accurate.

My cars always get scratches, dents and lose parts.

You can easily outrun chasing cars without hacking. Even on a straight road.

They don't disappear. They will also start following you when you bump into them.

Civilians will call the police when you do stuff like that. I think it's a good thing the cops don't magically start following you.

Not at all. If you don't move, they will arrest you.

I don't think that is the case at all. People know your identity, but they don't necessarily know where you are or they won't necessarily recognize you.

There are.

You are the vigilante after all...

There are on PC. Not everywhere, but water, wet floors and cars have them.

And the list goes on.

Jito

Banned
no blind fire or hip fire. Gotta aim down dem sights

What the hell... every game with a cover system has blind fire lol.

And there's no takedowns from over barriers and objects if you're behind enemies, only corner or being directly behind them?

Top Bottom