• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

hbkdx12

What the hell... every game with a cover system has blind fire lol.

And there's no takedowns from over barriers and objects if you're behind enemies, only corner or being directly behind them?

yeah not sure what the reasoning is other than the fact that r2/right trigger is a dedicated run button if your not aiming

yeah that seems accurate about the takedowns.

Dysun

I'm getting kind of bored of the side missions. None of the hacking/camera ones are very interesting and seem like busy work map icons laid out everywhere

Jito

Banned
yeah not sure what the reasoning is other than the fact that r2/right trigger is a dedicated run button if your not aiming

yeah that seems accurate about the takedowns.

Crazy that Ubisoft would take out moves from the Splinter Cell moveset that WD seems based on. Some really basic stealth moves missing there.

Chitown B

I hope the sequel gives us more tools to go non-lethal/cripple.

I'm talking... tear gas grenades (and give Aiden an accompanying gas mask when deploying it), stun guns, tasers, more hacks, flashbangs, chaining melee to fight off multiple combatants in CQC.

We've got lots of lethal maneuvering, I want more non-lethal stuff. I go lethal when my enemies are hardcore criminals or psychos or something. But otherwise, I want to limit casualties.

I'm expecting Watch_Dogs 2 to be a massive step-up like Assassin's Creed 2 was, or Far Cry 2/3 was (mechanically anyway).

I am loving the game a ton though. I have a feeling it'll end up being my GOTY depending on how Alien: Isolation goes.

Agreed. I'm not a lethal guy in ninja games. I did 100% non lethal in Deus Ex HR, and Dishonored.

BashNasty

My reputation bar has been all the way to the left at "Menace" for awhile now. Every now and then it's just a whole lot of fun to fire a grenade launcher into a large crowd of people. People are quite fearful of the vigilante in my world, and they have every right to be.

hydruxo

I like how varied the gang hideout missions are. Alot of ubi open world games suffer from locations looking too similar but they've done a good job of making unique locations for these.

Tinabina

hey, does anyone know if I can transfer the save file from one pc to another if I leave uplay in offline mode? I can't seem to be able to log in to use the cloud save stuff and I have lost progress like 10 times already in the beginning of the game. thanks.

Jobbs

Banned
Can't tell you the number of times I've tried to hit circle for a takedown and instead jumped onto something or over a ledge.

The game is just full of sloppy little things and annoyances.

But it's fun. And blowing up cars with a grenade launcher has probably never been more satisfying. That shit is tops. (Incidentally, buy a grenade launcher for cheap and trivialize every criminal convoy mission)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The more I play this, the more I think it should have just been delayed for another year.
Do not agree. Further delay would not have been wise for the franchise and if the items on your list are meant to reflect what would be corrected with a year of extra development time, it wouldn't be close to worth it for the consumer either. Furthermore, a few things you've mentioned are simple personal preference (I'm quite fond of the activity notifications, sound design and karma system), others are not exactly accurate (whether people recognize you or not on sight and how they react depends on your karma; Aiden's identity is obviously not a complete mystery as he's targeted specifically and named by enemies; the "radio" isn't a radio at all but Aiden's phone MP3 player, and it can be used outside cars too; cops can in fact arrest you rather than using lethal force if you haven't escalated too much).

Most notably, it is 100% completely possible to outrun/outdrive pursuers in a chase without using hacking, and the vehicle you have definitely makes a difference. I've done so a couple of times already in just 3 or 4 hours of play.

More generally speaking, even with a year of extra dev time, there's no guarantee you wouldn't still have a list of things that bug you. While it has many flaws and the expected occasional open world bugs, Watch_Dogs does not strike me as an incomplete product. I think it was released at the right time and now all relevant dev cycles can go toward Watch_Dogs 2, which I do believe I will buy without hesitation.
I hope the sequel gives us more tools to go non-lethal/cripple.

I'm talking... tear gas grenades (and give Aiden an accompanying gas mask when deploying it), stun guns, tasers, more hacks, flashbangs, chaining melee to fight off multiple combatants in CQC.

We've got lots of lethal maneuvering, I want more non-lethal stuff. I go lethal when my enemies are hardcore criminals or psychos or something. But otherwise, I want to limit casualties.

I'm expecting Watch_Dogs 2 to be a massive step-up like Assassin's Creed 2 was, or Far Cry 2/3 was (mechanically anyway).

I am loving the game a ton though. I have a feeling it'll end up being my GOTY depending on how Alien: Isolation goes.
Absolutely, even Tranquilizer ammo. My version of Aiden does not kill unless faced with absolutely no chance of escaping a situation nonlethally. At least I find the baton takedowns very satisfying.

Andrew.

Banned
My game got invaded and I don't even have PS+. How is this possible?

And also, I'm gonna go ahead and assume we're gonna get a more charismatic people friendly protagonist in the next game. Much like the block of wood Altair jump was to Everyone's Friend Ezio.

Double D

Can't tell you the number of times I've tried to hit circle for a takedown and instead jumped onto something or over a ledge.

But it's fun. And blowing up cars with a grenade launcher has probably never been more satisfying. That shit is tops. (Incidentally, buy a grenade launcher for cheap and trivialize every criminal convoy mission)

I actually find myself hitting circle to try to go snap to cover. Needless to say that always goes poorly. I feel like I must have played a game recently where circle was the cover button, but maybe I just have a mental block.

SJRB

Gold Member
I was ambushing an enemy convoy, made sure I was in cover on the left side of the road with a clear line of sight on the driver's side of the car with the target. Hacked the traffic lights to stop the convoy and I open fire, the dude actually bails out of the car via the passenger seat and takes cover on the right side behind the car.

That blew my mind.

PS+ is not required for that mode.

saladine1

I really love the way the crashes are depicted in this game. It looks so real.
The destruction and explosions are also well done.

hbkdx12

Crazy that Ubisoft would take out moves from the Splinter Cell moveset that WD seems based on. Some really basic stealth moves missing there.

I think the only thing it rips from Splinter Cell is the cover to cover mechanic and even then its not as graceful. At the end of the day i think its important for them to have Aiden/Watch Dogs create it's own identity especially starting out as new IP. Cuz although lots of people are like basically saying it was more Splinter Cellish is, i'd bet money that if it was people would just down play the game as a splinter cell clone and say things like "this just makes me want a new Chaos TheorY with bigger maps!"

Joeki11a

Banned

And also, I'm gonna go ahead and assume we're gonna get a more charismatic people friendly protagonist in the next game. Much like the block of wood Altair jump was to Everyone's Friend Ezio.

You dont need online for that, its free to play.

This character is weird like Ubi made him up

late in development, Focusing instead on

everything else.

Double D

So I decided to do the Psychedelic flower minigame thing as like a, "just one more thing before I call it a night". I kept thinking the next level would be the last and just kept plowing through them.

It's always surprising when I see little diversions like these that are actually pretty substantial content. I mean, they're pretty simple but in the grand scheme of things, people spent a ton of time making that content and it might go completely unseen by many players.

anddo0

Except for a few where killing the target(s) fails the mission.

As I said before this game was released. If they didn't bother with the silly mini-games (digital trips and other side missions are fine) they could've made a more focused game. It's not all on the mini-games, there are other missed opportunities.

Anyway, Watch Dogs is basically Assassins Creed 1-A... The ground work is there, let's just hope they build a better story this time.

hbkdx12

At least I find the baton takedowns very satisfying.

People say they want free ability melee. Man, the hell with that. I just want some more baton takedown animations. That collapsible baton is badass. I was amazed the first time i dive tackled a criminal and then cracked him with my baton. And after doing about it 20 more times i've not ceased to be amazed.

Yasae

Banned
The more I play this, the more I think it should have just been delayed for another year.

Car damage is nearly non-existent. You can ram several vehicles and your car will still look fine. You can scrape past walls and other cars but there will be no paint damage at all.
Car damage is not as extensive as say, GTA IV, and it takes a lot of damage to become apparent (there's also a skill which can reduce it!), but it most certainly exists. You can knock off hoods, doors, smash windows apart, etc.
Not being able to shoot while driving a car makes car chases entirely reliant on hacking, which becomes very repetitive after a while. It also doesn't help that it seems to be impossible to outrun your pursuers without hacking, no matter how fast your vehicle is and how shitty theirs is.
I think I've outrun the police maybe once in a suuuuuuuper fast car, but 90% of the time when they're chasing you have to use hacks (though those are made easy via the blue highlighted prompts).

You can sometimes evade police, however, and turn off your engine. This is actually required in one tricky first act mission.
Some of the sound effects are absolutely atrocious. Every car sounds like a lawnmower and they all have that same damn stupidly annoying horn. And some of the guns sound horrible.
I agree. The sound work is above average generally - sound work on an open world game like this is extremely grueling - but there is some odd engine and especially horn looping.

On a side note, I've actually looked at the sound archive libraries for Skyrim and I was blown away by how much work goes into it.
No car/weapon customization at all. You can only change the color of your clothes.
Weapon customization would have definitely been nice. Small oversight as you still get several silenced weapons; this helps. I'd love to see it in the sequel.

No police patrols or cars anywhere; police will only appear once they get called by a witness and you can't evade the scan, then they disappear when they've lost you.
You can evade the scan(s). I've done so many times.

A witness call is the only way the police will ever show up outside missions; they do not care if you blow up a convoy, destroy public property, cause a massive crash, hit civilians with your car or speed along the highway bumping every car of the road.
Police do show up sparingly around town. They do care if you destroy certain things, such as fuel tanks. That will raise your heat level (the bottom right IIRC) which means that police will engage if they see you around.

Karma system serves no purpose and is inconsistent. You get bad karma for injuring or killing civilians, but not for ramming their cars at full speed or stealing their car.
Good karma affects how likely people are to call the police on you for crimes (stealing a car is a good example; I've stolen many as a good vigilante and don't get many calls into dispatch).

All destructible elements just fall apart in identical bits regardless of the severity and angle of the actual hit.
True, especially for telephone poles, though there are a large number of objects with physics attached in WD. An improvement in the sequel etc would be nice but, *shrug*.

The constant 'remote profiling' notifications of 'Crime noticed here', 'Fixer job there', etc. is annoying. Why can't I discover things on my own pace and when I want to?
I agree completely that they're annoying. There are way too many activities popping up all the time via remote profiling. There should definitely be a patch which allows you to turn it off or mitigate it some other way. We can already discover crimes etc via hacking ppl's phones for instance; why bombard us with so much other stuff?

You can't use raised forklifts or garage doors to crush enemies.
Yeah small thing, but it kinda sucked you couldn't.

Money isn't that useful actually. You can just steal cars from the street without penalty and faster cars don't help a thing in chases. You could buy some crafting components, but you'll never run out anyway if you just use them only when you need to. You could buy clothes, but they're just different color sets of the standard clothes. It's also so damn easy to get tons of money. You could buy weapons, but the silenced pistol is pretty much all you need.

Random invisible walls.
Agreed.

No real-time reflections.
Lots of real time reflections in the water, for example.

There is a first-person view for driving, but you can't look around while in it, which makes it a pain in the ass.
Yeah. I would hope that gets addressed in a patch because while it seems like a small issue, it's bad enough to make one view almost unusable.

Car handling is ugghhhhh....
Ehhh... It's considerably better than Sleeping Dogs but it's not everyone's cup of tea.

I've played quite a number of these games and trust me, there's far worse. I think there could stand to be a little more perspective.

I walked out of a pawn-shop and saw a car crash into the one in front of it. The drivers got out and just.... stood there. That's it. No conversation, no interaction, no argument; they just stood there complaining to themselves. In the middle of the road.

You can sometimes see an Ambulance driving around with sirens on, but it'll just drive around in circles, not going to an actual accident or something. They don't show up when you cause a crash by hacking traffic lights.
Yeah two small areas where the game only goes part of the way to keeping up the charade.

hbkdx12

So I decided to do the Psychedelic flower minigame thing as like a, "just one more thing before I call it a night". I kept thinking the next level would be the last and just kept plowing through them.

It's always surprising when I see little diversions like these that are actually pretty substantial content. I mean, they're pretty simple but in the grand scheme of things, people spent a ton of time making that content and it might go completely unseen by many players.

My God...

I've fucked around in this world for two days, still in Act I, and i completely forgot about the digital trips...

I love this game

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You dont need online for that, its free to play.

This character is weird like Ubi made him up

late in development, Focusing instead on

everything else.
it's as though your

conversational style makes

everything into poetry. I

quite like it.
People say they want free ability melee. Man, the hell with that. I just want some more baton takedown animations. That collapsible baton is badass. I was amazed the first time i dive tackled a criminal and then cracked him with my baton. And after doing about it 20 more times i've not ceased to be amazed.
Hmm, yeah, I am actually glad there's no awkward punchkicking... my objective going into melee range is one thing and it's not "satisfying combat feel." I just want to neutralize my target efficiently.

sjay1994

Game is getting a lot of hate on reddit, steam,etc for not being next gen enough.

This feels exactly like 2007 with the original AC.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Except it's many times better and more fun than the original AC.

In my opinion of course
Better and more fun are subjective, but I don't see how anyone could argue it's not at least a much more complete product than AC1. Hoping for a similar jump from AC1 to 2 with a sequel is reasonable, but I think people may be forgetting just how barebones AC1 was as a piece of entertainment.
Any PC GAF members who can access MP sessions? Even after todays maintenance i can't find any sessions.
It's been sporadic for me the whole time. Basically 1/3 attempts to connect, I would get a match, the other 2 would fail.
I was wondering if anyone can help ?

What is the best skills to upgrade first ?
Really, it totally depends on your playstyle and what you think would help you. I'd say at least don't wait too long to unlock Blackout ;)

Tamanon

Banned
Car Unlock is #1 the most important skill to grab at first. It means you never get a civilian calling the cop because of you stealing a car off the street.

dex3108

It's been sporadic for me the whole time. Basically 1/3 attempts to connect, I would get a match, the other 2 would fail.

0 MP sessions for me. I an connect to mobile challenges sometimes but i get connection lost in the middle of the race/challenge.Other MP modes doesn't work at all. Also i haven't been invaded once since launch.

hbkdx12

I was wondering if anyone can help ?

What is the best skills to upgrade first ?

Things from your hacking skill tree are always helpful and definitely worth prioritizing over the other skill trees. Specifically I would say go for the environmental hacks like blockers, spikes, bridges, steam pipes, etc that make it easier to deal with chases

It's also worth putting a point into driving so you can steal any car so you don't have to worry about people calling the cops if you trip a car alarm

I feel all that added stealth stuff is probably the natural progression for things to add in a sequel but it kind of worries me because at that point the stealth is basically just full on splinter cell and i feel like that could potentially overshadow the hacking aspect.

Well, the nice thing about it, is that it should be optional.

Hacking > Stealth = Non-Lethal Combat = Lethal Combat.

All of these should be equally easy to use and feel equally rewarding to use. I would like the hacking to be as deep as humanly possible, but if you decide to use another aspect in conjunction with that, it needs to feel equally rewarding. So, stealth hacks, non-lethal hacks, and lethal hacks, combined with your play style would be nice.

So an example: Fire off an EMP pulse to disable cameras and electronics, throw a flashbang to disorient a group, then run up and melee all of them in a chain. No evidence you were there other than the beat up and broken dudes. You can sorta do that now, but I want it to be even deeper.

Does that make sense?

Top Bottom