• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Question about invasions, what does it do if someone's in your game (without you knowing) and you try and initiate single player stuff or multiplayer stuff? The reason I ask is because a few times now I've jumped into other games to tail people and almost immediately they've stopped moving (this is before I'm even near enough for them to see me). And every time it's as if they're rotating their camera to check for me. Then eventually they've jumped out of their car and come looking for me. The first time it happened I thought ok, they're probably just hacking people for money, and not looking for an invader, but it's happened like 3-4 times now. So I'm wondering if it gives you an indication that you can't do certain things because someone's in your game.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Just noticed that the OT has passed a million views, niceeee. Could someone re-link that guide to getting PC online working properly? Something about closing down any and all connections and running Uplay in compatibility mode.

Question about invasions, what does it do if someone's in your game (without you knowing) and you try and initiate single player stuff or multiplayer stuff? The reason I ask is because a few times now I've jumped into other games to tail people and almost immediately they've stopped moving (this is before I'm even near enough for them to see me). And every time it's as if they're rotating their camera to check for me. Then eventually they've jumped out of their car and come looking for me. The first time it happened I thought ok, they're probably just hacking people for money, and not looking for an invader, but it's happened like 3-4 times now.

You get locked out of doing any main missions, but can still do side missions that don't require phasing/loading.

Hawk269

I'm actually enjoying the game, or what little I've played of it.

Trying to knock the multi-player trophies out so I can just have fun in my own time before the "new game" rush wears off and all the online stuff dies out. The only problem is that I can't connect to a single Online Race or Hacking game to save my life.

"Average wait time: 3 Minutes" ... times out, re-queue. Is it really that dead already, or something else? I'm glad I managed to get all the tailing ones out of the way but it's really worrying that I can't even get one race let alone 10 and the game came out two days ago.

They are having some really serious issues with the on-line servers. I was in the same boat but finally got into some races, but it played like it was a slide show at some parts. I mean it was really, really bad on how much is chugged at times. The racing has a lot of potential and had a few races that were just a blast, but the slowdown and lag issues just was too much to continue playing on-line.

Liberty4all

Banned
Question about invasions, what does it do if someone's in your game (without you knowing) and you try and initiate single player stuff or multiplayer stuff? The reason I ask is because a few times now I've jumped into other games to tail people and almost immediately they've stopped moving (this is before I'm even near enough for them to see me). And every time it's as if they're rotating their camera to check for me. Then eventually they've jumped out of their car and come looking for me. The first time it happened I thought ok, they're probably just hacking people for money, and not looking for an invader, but it's happened like 3-4 times now. So I'm wondering if it gives you an indication that you can't do certain things because someone's in your game.

Also if you try to do an online mission yourself it will tell you you can't join (because you are currently being tailed).

The first time that happened to me I went into full blown panic mode.

To be clear though:

hacking they get a warning.
tailing they get no warning.

Lizardus

In one of the Fixer missions, I had to get a car to a spot after evaing the police. After I managed to lose the cops, I was sitting in an alley somewhere and there were yellow circles forming on the minimap and I got spotted again. What the fuck is up with that?

-Deimos

You can also tell someone is hacking you when you try pausing the game and it continues to run in the background.

njean777

In one of the Fixer missions, I had to get a car to a spot after evaing the police. After I managed to lose the cops, I was sitting in an alley somewhere and there were yellow circles forming on the minimap and I got spotted again. What the fuck is up with that?

That is there thing to get another lock on you.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Getting this too on PS4. Haven't been able to do any multiplayer. My NAT is type 2, and I've played other games online with no issues, so I'm just assuming Ubisoft doesn't have their shit together yet.
Yeah, my NAT is 2, and I've done mp the last 2 days ok.

Rain looks gorgeous in this game. You can see the individual raindrops on the ground.
KiIvM7g.jpg

Here you can see it accumulate into puddles near the curbs.
Plf6z1X.jpg

If you use focus while driving in the rain you get a cool Matrix-like effect of all the raindrops slowing down mid-fall. I don't think this picture does it justice, looks much cooler with animation.
Hmro6KS.jpg

Dat sun flare.
JjPuVXE.jpg

Aiden looking like a badass.
HlYs7Ef.jpg

Also if you try to do an online mission yourself it will tell you you can't join (because you are currently being tailed).

The first time that happened to me I went into full blown panic mode.

To be clear though:

hacking they get a warning.
tailing they get no warning.

For hacking do they get a warning immediately, or only once you've hacked them but not yet initiated the back door?

Posted this video earlier because I thought the end was funny, then saw that I could see the guy running up to start hacking me which I didn't notice before because I was too busy trying to get one of those dang QR codes lol.

Video here

Zeliard

keep forgetting that focus exists. feels like im cheating when i use it lol

I have never used focus during any combat/driving situations. I keep on forgetting it's there to be honest.

Ditto, I also keep forgetting focus is even there, and I'm playing on Realistic difficulty.

Would be useful as far as laying traps when driving, I s'pose, but I much prefer doing the combat/stealth stuff in real-time.

Ateron

I'm on the fence about this game. I've read/watched some reviews and they all seem a bit mixed. What's the consensus here? Should I get it?

I'm not expecting a gta clone and I enjoyed ACIV (excluding the boring tailing/eavesdropping missions), if that helps. Is the shooting/cover mechanics good? As far as hacking goes it seems to be pretty good, a lot to play around with, and the performance seems solid. But is the game fun?

I really want to get it but I'm afraid it might become a little repetitive - as every AC ever - and I don't know if the foundation is good enough to sustain the game without the wackiness/randomness that gta provides (steal a plane, jump on a parachute, push people on the sidewalk, try to stop a train with a catterpillar, that sort of thing).

Thanks to the tips in this thread I found my first tailer. Aiden put his phone away so I paused the game and sure enough I kept going, so I ran an enclosed alleyway, got out my grenade launcher and he comes running around the corner.

Boom.

Got tailed for the first time and couldn't find him at first, then he initiated the hack. Of course, he was hiding in an alleyway. :D

I did my first hacking as well. I pretended to be a pedestrian driving while he was hiding on the rooftops and I got lucky by seeing him running around while camping up there. I almost got him! 67% :( I evaded him in the end, though.

Hawk269

Ditto, I also keep forgetting focus is even there, and I'm playing on Realistic difficulty.

Would be useful as far as laying traps when driving, I s'pose, but I much prefer doing the combat/stealth stuff in real-time.

What is Realistic difficulty? What is the difference between it and hard?

RoKKeR

Finally got to put some good time in today... loving this game. Love the animations on Aiden, shooting mechanics, story isn't half bad, game is BEAUTIFUL at night and especially in alleyways (yes, even on XBO) and I love the glow from Aiden's smartphone when it's dark out.

Great stuff all around, happy I pulled the trigger on this and that it's selling well.

ttech10

How do you know how many times you have been tailed for sure? I have no idea. You don't get a notification do you?

I don't think there's anyway to actually know. If they tail you successfully then there will be zero notification whatsoever. On a forum that was talking about the Traced trophy, someone thought they had yet to be tailed and then one moment the trophy popped up.

You either have to notice the hints someone is in your game (Aiden puts his phone away automatically and if you pause the game or open the map the game will still be going on behind the screens or try to find a match and see if it tells you someone is in the room) or find someone tailing you.

Hawk269

Finally got to put some good time in today... loving this game. Love the animations on Aiden, shooting mechanics, story isn't half bad, game is BEAUTIFUL at night and especially in alleyways (yes, even on XBO) and I love the glow from Aiden's smartphone when it's dark out.

Great stuff all around, happy I pulled the trigger on this and that it's selling well.

lol. Think it is funny that you say "even on XBO". Watching the images and video's from digital foundry, there is not that much of a difference. I have not experienced much tearing (XBO version) at all. Only real time it happened was a real time cut scene, which seemed odd since it was not really doing much visually. Night, in the big city and rain and this game looks pretty incredible.

They just got to get their on-line shit together. Playing racing on-line is like a slide-show at times. Has a lot of potential.

Ateron

Does it suffer from AC1 syndrome? As in, the foundation is good and the game shows potential but is too repetitive/restrictive or is it really a good game? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get it, but I don't trust reviews as I used to, and even if I did, they're kinda mixed..

Hawk269

Is there an overall stats screen that shows all of the stats? I got some serious air time in a on-line race, someone triggered a bridge to go up and I hit at full speed and just the right angle and practically took flight. Just curious if it tracks stats like jump height/length etc.

Zeliard

What is Realistic difficulty? What is the difference between it and hard?

Didn't try other difficulties so I have no basis for comparison, but one of the more conspicuous things is that you die after only 2-3 or so bullets, which I doubt is the case with lower difficulties. However, the enemies don't seem to have increased health. Headshots are always one-shot kills, and they can only take a couple to the body as well.

Not sure what else is affected. Enemies may spot you more quickly, there may be more aggressive police A.I., etc, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

I do feel the difficulty is nicely balanced, though. Enemies will punish you if they see you, but that just makes proper stealth and tactical hacking more valuable.

Man I actively hate the get away missions. Destroying cars and using hacks does nothing because there will just be another one spawning immediately. What is the point of infinitely re spawning enemies? I'm more likely to ignore fixer missions that are like this than I am to think it's a "fun" challenge.

I love blazing through the city on my motorbike with my coattails flapping behind me. You can pick up some serious speed and the added motion blur and stable frame rate make it even more fun.

Didn't try other difficulties so I have no basis for comparison, but one of the more conspicuous things is that you die after only 2-3 or so bullets, which I doubt is the case with lower difficulties. However, the enemies don't seem to have increased health. Headshots are always one-shot kills, and they can only take a couple to the body as well.

Not sure what else is affected. Enemies may spot you more quickly, there may be more aggressive police A.I., etc, but I couldn't tell you for sure.

I do feel the difficulty is nicely balanced, though. Enemies will punish you if they see you, but that just makes proper stealth and tactical hacking more valuable.

Yeah, they see you from much farther than other difficulties I think. Playing also on Realistic and it's quite a challenge. Makes you take your time, plan and use all the mechanics and tools at your disposal. Love it!

Kelsey

Banned
Does it suffer from AC1 syndrome? As in, the foundation is good and the game shows potential but is too repetitive/restrictive or is it really a good game? I'm trying to decide whether or not to get it, but I don't trust reviews as I used to, and even if I did, they're kinda mixed..

There's a fair bit of repetition in the game's basic puzzle mechanics and also in the combat scenarios, but they're so much fun each time that I don't really care. People compare this game to GTA5 a lot, but I don't see it. It's more like Just Cause 2 to me in that you do similar things a lot and it rarely if ever gets boring because you can do each scenario differently.

I'm on the fence about this game. I've read/watched some reviews and they all seem a bit mixed. What's the consensus here? Should I get it?

I'm not expecting a gta clone and I enjoyed ACIV (excluding the boring tailing/eavesdropping missions), if that helps. Is the shooting/cover mechanics good? As far as hacking goes it seems to be pretty good, a lot to play around with, and the performance seems solid. But is the game fun?

Shooting and cover is a big step up from GTA games and works smoothly with dynamic objects like when you make a car pileup in the middle an intersection to have a firefight. More along the lines of what you'd expect from a Splinter Cell game.

The world is as far from AC1 as you could possibly get. There is just so much do to between car chases, gang hideout raids, convoy interceptions, criminal catching, privacy breaches, investigations, and digital trips. There's also a lot of flexibility in how you approach ctOS infiltration, gang hideout raids and convoy interceptions, with all the hacking/stealth and shooting options.

The online hacking element is absolutely my favourite part and the seamlessness of the experience is what sets it above what other open world games have tried in the past. At its core it's basically an online game of hide and seek, but it's extremely tense and satisfying.

As someone with platinum trophies for Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause 2, AC2 and AC Revelations (couldn't get the damn online ones for Brotherhood), and all the Infamous games, I am loving this game and can't recommend it highly enough.

Kelsey

Banned
What does it mean when a player you are invading has a bounty on them?

It means they hacked a Blume Industries apologist/supporter. If you do that, you will see that person call Blume and report you. If their call succeeds, you have a bounty on you. It's in your best interest to stop them from completing the call.

Ateron

There's a fair bit of repetition in the game's basic puzzle mechanics and also in the combat scenarios, but they're so much fun each time that I don't really care. People compare this game to GTA5 a lot, but I don't see it. It's more like Just Cause 2 to me in that you do similar things a lot and it rarely if ever gets boring because you can do each scenario differently.

Shooting and cover is a big step up from GTA games and works smoothly with dynamic objects like when you make a car pileup in the middle an intersection to have a firefight. More along the lines of what you'd expect from a Splinter Cell game.

The world is as far from AC1 as you could possibly get. There is just so much do to between car chases, gang hideout raids, convoy interceptions, criminal catching, privacy breaches, investigations, and digital trips.

The online hacking element is absolutely my favourite part and the seamlessness of the experience is what sets it above what open world games have tried in the future. At its core it's basically an online game of hide and seek, but it's extremely tense and satisfying.

As someone with platinum trophies for Sleeping Dogs, Just Cause 2, AC2 and AC Revelations (couldn't get the damn online ones for Brotherhood), and all the Infamous games, I am loving this game and can't recommend it highly enough.

Sold. Thank you!
Glad to see that the game has more substance and it holds on its own merits, rather than trying to be a gta clone. I kinda liked gta v aproach to gunfights, but it was kinda clunky, If you guys say it's even better, then I'm in for a treat :)

malfcn

It means they hacked a Blume Industries apologist/supporter. If you do that, you will see that person call Blume and report you. If their call succeeds, you have a bounty on you. It's in your best interest to stop them from completing the call.

If I successfully hacked them would I have got anything?
They found me at like 95%.

J-P

Neo Member
By the way if it hasn't been said yet you invite friends into online games via your phone. "Online session". (Not hacking or tailing)

Shadownet

Banned
Its almost impossible to hack or tail someone and succeed 100% unless that person you're hacking is an idiot. This game help out the other player so much.

Its so easy just to scan the environment and find your hacker/tailer ASAP. And if your target go into the wood. Its hard to follow him since normal NPC don't go into the woods, so you're pretty much stick out like a sore thumb.

I usually get discovered around 80% at most.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Is it just me or are the invasions really damn boring in this from both sides?

I've never been caught nor have I ever caught someone. You either sit in a dark corner for 5 minutes or run in circles for 5 minutes.

They really should have had it involve some direct conflict. Invading someone only to have the objective be to avoid them seems... dumb.

Colocho

Banned
How come there are no reviews for the 360/PS3 versions? I know the current gen version is the definitive, but I'd still like to know how they compare to the better versions.

RoKKeR

lol. Think it is funny that you say "even on XBO". Watching the images and video's from digital foundry, there is not that much of a difference. I have not experienced much tearing (XBO version) at all. Only real time it happened was a real time cut scene, which seemed odd since it was not really doing much visually. Night, in the big city and rain and this game looks pretty incredible.

They just got to get their on-line shit together. Playing racing on-line is like a slide-show at times. Has a lot of potential.
Haha, was a not-so-subtle jab at the amount of reaction to platform differences and comparisons. My experience with tearing is similar to yours... not a lot in-game but some here and there during cutscenes which is odd.

Possibly, but the foundation is fleshed out enough here that there is plenty to hold your attention outside of the main story. The city is huge and packed with things to do. The archetype of certain missions may be repetitive but there is so much content here that I haven't had a problem with that yet.

Kelsey

Banned
How come there are no reviews for the 360/PS3 versions? I know the current gen version is the definitive, but I'd still like to know how they compare to the better versions.

IGN just gave the PS3 version a 7.5. Performance and driving being the two factors that drove the score down.

malfcn

Gotcha. I have a lot that say high value, only one that said with a bounty.

I was hiding just now next to a camera, and saw it go "IN-USE" and wobbling around. I was almost in it's view, that was scary.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Can anyone remember that footage of the NPC going mental about his collector's figurine being wrong? I've been trying to find it for ages and just can't for the life of me.

Ateron

Haha, was a not-so-subtle jab at the amount of reaction to platform differences and comparisons. My experience with tearing is similar to yours... not a lot in-game but some here and there during cutscenes which is odd.

Possibly, but the foundation is fleshed out enough here that there is plenty to hold your attention outside of the main story. The city is huge and packed with things to do. The archetype of certain missions may be repetitive but there is so much content here that I haven't had a problem with that yet.

Thanks mate :) I will surely pick this game up. You guys helped me make up my mind.

malfcn

Am I seriously the only one that has the quit to main menu bug where it can't load?
Putting the game down for a second and didn't want to be invaded. Have to dashboard, quit the game and relaunch.

So I am the only one playing without HUD elements, huh?

Why you no want deep immersion, GAF?

watch_dogs2014-05-280nxuyr.jpg
Because how the hell am I supposed to track someone Tailing/Hacking me?

We need a video tutorial on the HUD removal options, or for Ubisoft to patch in some options.
HAHA, I'm still smiling from this. I just barely got away

absolutely amazing ending!
This game is getting better and better. I'm either reading this thread, playing the game or thinking about playing the game. Awesome.
Same here, I stopped doing main missions after I unlocked multiplayer and now I'm just hacking and tailing all day long!
Random vid from me yesterday hacking someone and being invaded. http://youtu.be/kilZjERhImQ I think invading may be my favorite multiplayer mode of all time. My progress in single player has come to a complete stop because I can't stop searching for others. Also using blackout is just plain awesome.

same here, I dont think I'l ever finish single player until I get all the Online hacking and tailing rewards, then I'll move onto racing and Decryption.
I just killed an invader and it said 'observation stopped at 33%'.

I wasn't hacked, so were they tailing me?

I received a notification when they invaded.

anyone know if the Tail is notified after the Invader completes 100% observation? would be amazing if they recieved no notification, JAJA.
Because if you pause the game and the background freezes, you're alone. If not, then stuff stays moving. Also Aiden will put his phone away if someone enters your game.

That's how I know I've been tailed twice. One other time I tried to join an online mode and it said I was being invaded. Then another I caught them.

I actually JUST got the trophy and as I was typing this I knew I was getting hacked because first, Aiden put the phone away. Then, I checked and the pause screen kept stuff moving.

I always find myself pausing the game now, I wish my pause button was broken or that when you paused the game ALWAYS kept going (invasion or not) so that we can NEVER tell we're being tailed.

Here's a hilarious Tailing compilation someone made: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxERGCf4FCA

Pandemic

Has anyone been able to have a successful game via console/PC with someone using the ctos companion app thingo? Or has anyone been able to have a successful game by using the ctos app?

I haven't had one game where it's finished, the player always disconnects. And I can't find anyone with the companion app.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Has anyone been able to have a successful game via console/PC with someone using the ctos companion app thingo? Or has anyone been able to have a successful game by using the ctos app?

I haven't had one game where it's finished, the player always disconnects. And I can't find anyone with the companion app.

On PC I keep getting companion app challenges but uPlay is super flaky right now.

Top Bottom