• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
My God, I've been tailed by some idiots lately.

If you're going to follow me, don't stay 3 feet behind me, in a car, on the fucking pavement!
I just realized I've either never been tailed, or have only been tailed by professionals.

But again, I think the game-breaking death bug can only happen in tailing, so I'm avoiding that mode and others may be for the moment.

My God, I've been tailed by some idiots lately.

If you're going to follow me, don't stay 3 feet behind me, in a car, on the fucking pavement!

I tailed some guy in a transport truck by slowly driving up the road. No one would ever drive that.

[100%, he couldn't find me.]

Carbonox

I was playing and saw a profile go purple, the person then calls up someone and then I'm told someone will come and find me. Nothing's happened in like 20 minutes. WHAT DOES IT MEAN.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Those might be their very first attempts at it. Not everybody has been playing this since launch.

Speaking of which there isn't really any skill based matchmaking to this right? My first mission had me against someone classified as "very high online defense" and that was on release day.
There is no skill or rank based matchmaking whatsoever so far as I can tell, and this is crucial to making the experience work, IMO. I actually have a lot to say about this, but the long and short of it is:

Risk vs. Reward is always sensible, because notoriety reward is totally dependent on the starting notoriety of each player. So, if you have 5 and managed to hack someone with 1000, you'll get a ton, they'll lose a ton. If you have 1000 and hack someone with 5 (blindfolded), you'll gain very little, theirs will be unaffected. If both players have relatively similar notoriety, the hacker fails, but manages to escape, both players gain some.

Newbies are never punished for failing against hacking veterans, but hugely rewarded for succeeding against them, while vets gain little for hacking noobs but are punished severely for failing against them. It's honestly a little brilliant, and blows the doors off other recent systems for numerical-gain matchups in online PvP COUGH SOUL MEMORY COUGH.

Marvel

could never
Don't think I'll ever top my train tail, gotta say this game was worth buying. I'm enjoying it so much.

Excited for future WD titles, this IP is great.

Kikarian

I was playing and saw a profile go purple, the person then calls up someone and then I'm told someone will come and find me. Nothing's happened in like 20 minutes. WHAT DOES IT MEAN.
282b93ffbdd027a05291d016e14bc0712b2f9ab2c33a60fb560a528b03913b0e.jpg

Risk vs. Reward is always sensible, because notoriety reward is totally dependent on the starting notoriety of each player. So, if you have 5 and managed to hack someone with 1000, you'll get a ton, they'll lose a ton. If you have 1000 and hack someone with 5 (blindfolded), you'll gain very little, theirs will be unaffected. If both players have relatively similar notoriety, the hacker fails, but manages to escape, both players gain some.
Good points.

Kelsey

Banned

It means Blume put a bounty on you. The next person that successfully hacks you will get some extra money. To stop this, you need to stop the purple guy from completing his call.

So I'm sure Gaz will say this too, but if you're in an industrial area. Or there is just a truck nearby, One of the greatest tricks In the book is to drive a semi up to a building and climb onto roofs from it. People will rarely come up.

tanooki27

this game isn't nearly as interesting or groundbreaking as advertised, but the online stuff is genuinely fun. and it scratches a gamey sort of completionist itch a la AC and Rayman. the big criticism is that the writing needs a reboot.

When I started this playthrough I said I was going to be good, can barely get past citizen at times because it's just too awesome being a ruthless son of a bitch when necessary, I love it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I thought not. So you can just turn it off?
Aye. Well, I guess you probably want to "quit" if there's some option to do that on console. I just quit to desktop and it seems to always retain whatever I had done (but spawns you are your most recently accessed safe house).

So I've played for like five or six hours so far and I don't think I've been invaded or anything. How can you tell if it happens? Do you get a warning? Do you need to enable it?

I also spent like two hours last night clearing the poker table.

Kelsey

Banned
So I've played for like five or six hours so far and I don't think I've been invaded or anything. How can you tell if it happens? Do you get a warning? Do you need to enable it?

It's on by default. You never received the tutorial/fake invasion quest?

~~Hasan~~

I need some help. I just bought te game and i do not know what the fuck i am doing. The game is taking me to weird places and menus i cant even open on my own again. I am at the start of the game where someone was about to hack me lol. Anyway how do i know where to go to the main mission and not side missions ?

Lucent

I need some help. I just bought te game and i do not know what the fuck i am doing. The game is taking me to weird places and menus i cant even open on my own again. I am at the start of the game where someone was about to hack me lol. Anyway how do i know where to go to the main mission and not side missions ?

Main missions are the yellow octagon symbols.

Yellow circles on the map are main missions. While use the map you can place a waypoint to those locations (or others) by hovering over it with your cursors and pressing A on Xbox or (presumably) X on PS4. When you exit the map a GPS route to the location will then appear on the road.

For hacking missions, you get a warning once the other player initiates the hack. They may have entered your game prior to starting the hack, however. For tailing missions there is no warning.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just caught a guy tailing me. Happened completely by accident, too.

Prevented a guy getting shot in the head, walked back to my car and just casually whipped out my phone to profile some people and there he was. Just walked passed me, too. If I hadn't equiped my phone I would never have noticed him.

As soon as I profiled him he got alerted, and I got a prompt to take him down before he escaped. He got in a car and drove off before I could follow, but I still got the points.

That was bizarre. I had NO idea someone was following me.

For hacking missions, you get a warning once the other player initiates the hack. They may have entered your game prior to starting the hack, however. For tailing missions there is no warning.

There's no obvious warning for tails, but there's a distinct sound the game makes to let you know someone invaded your game. I think it's also accompanied by a brief flash on the screen. And you can always verify by pausing to see if the game world continues on, or you can profile NPCs, because they'll show "Not a threat."

Kelsey

Banned
Actually the driver one is the one I am about to start I think. So basically when I start that I'll get the tutorial?

I have spent hours doing all of the side stuff and basically no time doing the main missions, haha

The tutorial actually looks like a real invasion. Just know that it isn't (if that calms your nerves).

There's no obvious warning for tails, but there's a distinct sound the game makes to let you know someone invaded your game. I think it's also accompanied by a brief flash on the screen. And you can always verify by pausing to see if the game world continues on, or you can profile NPCs, because they'll show "Not a threat."
I caught a this way guy purely on accident about a minute before he initiated a hack. Instant paranoia. Shot into the air to clear the area before the hack triggered, but he had a fantastic hiding spot and was still successful.

I've still never been invaded. How long was it for you guys before someone invaded your game? I want it to happen soon. I feel like I'm missing out.

It happened for me pretty quickly after the invasion tutorial. I've probably been invaded half a dozen times in the 7 to 8 hours I've played the game.

Check your NAT to make sure it is open on your PS4. If it's on strict, you'll only be able to connect with open NAT players, so that'll restrict your potential player pool by a fair margin.

Top Bottom