• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

malfcn

Still loving the online hacking. Feels like it could be tweaked into a f2p game. I've put more hours into hacking than campaign.

Skyzard

Banned
Anyone else run into that bug with the hacking minigame (campaign) GUI elements not showing up?

Hoping that reinstalling fixes it as verifying files doesn't.

Really nice shots Dennis

Moozo

I'm so confused at the moment. Just had someone 'invade' me - I had a notification and a circle to search for the person. But I never got hacked and it can't have been tailing because it told me someone was there. Then the game acted like I had done something wrong when I couldn't find the person.

I'm so confused at the moment. Just had someone 'invade' me - I had a notification and a circle to search for the person. But I never got hacked and it can't have been tailing because it told me someone was there. Then the game acted like I had done something wrong when I couldn't find the person.

It was tailing, the game alerts you when someone is there.

cilonen

I love the setting, but I'm not sure about the game part of this. I have no empathy with any of the characters, TBH Aiden is a bit of a dick and unwilling to face his own part in creating all of this mess. It all seems contrived and very one dimensional.

Inevitably I have comparisons to GTA V running around in my head and I just liked the writing and those characters so much better.

I am going to enjoy wandering around virtual Chicago a little more, but I'm ready to abandon the story.

I quit Batman: Arkham City really early in the game because of the first AR mission being totally fucking bonkers and impossible for me to do. (Get in your GO PLAY BABY GAMES YOU BABY comments now.) Watch Dogs is starting to make me feel the same way. I got a Fixer Mission really early on (like I don't even know where the second campaign mission is, I just got out of Aiden's hotel room for the first time) and it says "drop off this abandoned getaway vehicle somewhere."

I've died twice now with no obvious way to escape the police permanently. I've managed to at least upgrade my skills enough to fuck the cops pursuing me with traffic light and barrier attacks, but once the pursuit's over these yellow circles pop up that eventually I can't avoid, and the chase starts again except even worse because my police meter is higher.

This wouldn't be so bad except that a) there's no way to quit the mission once you've committed it to it except to quit the whole game, and b) it's a FIXER mission so it just pops up on your screen and says "hey do you want to do this now maybe?" This is incredibly stupid if the player doesn't actually have the abilities to finish the mission.

Fucking Watch Dogs.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It was tailing, the game alerts you when someone is there.
This is incorrect. I think there are some conditions which cause that message for tailing, but it is 100% possible to be tailed without being notified (it just happened to me less than 10 minutes ago).

Pretty sure that's not true. I've tailed people that never had a clue I was in the area before. The only time someone is alerted when you're tailing them is if they actually profile you.

How would you know if they had a clue or not?

I get a lot of counter invasions/tailing and I always get a notification when a guy is trying to tail me.

This is incorrect. I think there are some conditions which cause that message for tailing, but it is 100% possible to be tailed without being notified (it just happened to me less than 10 minutes ago).

Hmm ok, that never happened to me.

you are not correct and it follows fairly logically that you wouldn't know for sure if you always get a notification.

Any proof for this besides speculation?

you are not correct and it follows fairly logically that you wouldn't know for sure if you always get a notification.

how could you have any idea? am I missing something?

It also happened to GAZ yesterday. You get a notification that a fixer is on you and a circle appears to indicate the approximate area. It can be easily confused with a normal invasion. If you happen to find him before he completely (100%) observes you, you get points for it. Otherwise he does.

I quit Batman: Arkham City really early in the game because of the first AR mission being totally fucking bonkers and impossible for me to do. (Get in your GO PLAY BABY GAMES YOU BABY comments now.) Watch Dogs is starting to make me feel the same way. I got a Fixer Mission really early on (like I don't even know where the second campaign mission is, I just got out of Aiden's hotel room for the first time) and it says "drop off this abandoned getaway vehicle somewhere."

I've died twice now with no obvious way to escape the police permanently. I've managed to at least upgrade my skills enough to fuck the cops pursuing me with traffic light and barrier attacks, but once the pursuit's over these yellow circles pop up that eventually I can't avoid, and the chase starts again except even worse because my police meter is higher.

This wouldn't be so bad except that a) there's no way to quit the mission once you've committed it to it except to quit the whole game, and b) it's a FIXER mission so it just pops up on your screen and says "hey do you want to do this now maybe?" This is incredibly stupid if the player doesn't actually have the abilities to finish the mission.

Fucking Watch Dogs.
That's a story mission. Don't focus as much on running from the cops as hiding. When the helicopters start to pursue you and the yellow circles come up hide somewhere under a bridge or overpass.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
How would you know if they had a clue or not?

I get a lot of counter invasions/tailing and I always get a notification when a guy is trying to tail me.

Hmm ok, that never happened to me.

Because if they had a clue they would have actually been looking for me. They clearly weren't. Plus the one time I had someone tailing me that I know of I wasn't notified. I only knew because he gave himself away.

Marvel

could never
Just done the Dedsec missions you get with the PS version. A little shit, last one wasn't so bad though I guess.

That's a story mission. Don't focus as much on running from the cops as hiding. When the helicopters start to pursue you and the yellow circles come up hide somewhere under a bridge or overpass.

They say to use side streets and back alleys, but I don't actually know where those are because I've literally spent an hour in virtual Chicago max. And the police are all over you as soon as you drive out of that garage. Or should I just wipe out the first set of cops and then hide? Does hiding under a bridge work for those yellow circle things? (I have no idea if those are helicopter search radii or if it's some sort of electronic surveillance that doesn't care about overhead cover.)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Any proof for this besides speculation?
???

I may be missing something completely. It is easy for me to be positive that it is possible not to be notified because it just happened to me. I saw the "Aiden suspiciously puts away phone" thing, paused to confirm I had a tail, and then went and found him (he peeled out and drove away).

How do you prove you know you haven't?

Because if they had a clue they would have actually been looking for me. They clearly weren't. Plus the one time I had someone tailing me that I know of I wasn't notified. I only knew because he gave himself away.

Some people just don't give a fuck.

The other case was probably a hacker that got caught by you before he started the hack.

ttech10

Pretty sure that's not true. I've tailed people that never had a clue I was in the area before. The only time someone is alerted when you're tailing them is if they actually profile you.

I wish we could get clarification about this.

Twice I was told I was being invaded during a tail. The first time they were dumb and drove their car where no NPCs do and I spotted them. The second time I was never able to profile them and when it was over the game showed me where they were.

For the most part you aren't notified, but for whatever reason people occasionally are.

???

I may be missing something completely. It is easy for me to be positive that it is possible not to be notified because it just happened to me. I saw the "Aiden suspiciously puts away phone" thing, paused to confirm I had a tail, and then went and found him (he peeled out and drove away).

How do you prove you know you haven't?

read my edit above. You DO get a notification when being tailed. Otherwise it was just an invader who did not initiate the hack.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For the most part you aren't notified, but for whatever reason people occasionally are.
Yep, that's what it looks like. I think it has to do with the tail doing something "wrong" somehow that triggers the notification but I have no clue what.

Hey, guys I made a trailer from footage I've recorded so far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDPEaV00ros

Here's a gif of a small part of it
CommonSlipperyGalah.gif

They say to use side streets and back alleys, but I don't actually know where those are because I've literally spent an hour in virtual Chicago max. And the police are all over you as soon as you drive out of that garage. Or should I just wipe out the first set of cops and then hide? Does hiding under a bridge work for those yellow circle things? (I have no idea if those are helicopter search radii or if it's some sort of electronic surveillance that doesn't care about overhead cover.)
I took a left out of the garage, then a left again when the street ends. The street you turn into has two blockers that should help you shake the cops. Then go into hiding and once the helicopters show up go under something. The yellow circles are the helicopter search area. They'll go away after a bit.

Yasae

Banned
As someone who was "excited" for this game but due to life responsibilities and the overall negative tone this game has been getting for the past year or I have been completely ignoring it in terms of reading up on it or watching previews. I knew the basic idea, seen the game in action and knew I would like it as long as everything came together in the end.

The constant graphics talk really killed my interest in the game, but not my intent to buy it at release and over all im kind of glad there was the controversy. Because of the negativity and the fact that it caused me to not get excited for the game has made this game the best next gen experience I have had yet ! I am completely blown away, surprised with everything I encounter and honestly feel this is one of the best "next gen" looking games out there ! yes I said it....

I honestly felt bad for ubisoft when I was playing it for the first time yesterday. Knowing that everyone on the team had put in so much time and effort for YEARS to make this game but had nothing but criticism during the entire process is really a shame. Its almost embarrassing and many people should feel ashamed.
I feel bad for the underlings at Ubisoft, but not for the people who made the decision to show this game way too early @ E3 2012. That was an enormous mistake IMO regardless of the sales it's getting (fastest selling Ubisoft game so far).

The actual combined experience of WD is really something else, and the visuals on their own are quite good, occasionally great - just not panty-dropping the whole time. It's not banking on being a GTA clone and that's a tall order to fill.

I had a notice I was being tailed once too. Not hacked. The purple area came up but no hacking bar.
I think it occurs when you profile a tailer but might not have realized it.

No, as soon as you profile the guy his icon appears on the map and the game expects you to put him down.

krioto

The online hacking and tailing missions elevate this game to greatness. Once you know how it works, it introduces a new paranoid element to the game, enhancing the whole big-brother vibe.

breakfuss

I've tailed countless people (unlocked the trophy) and only one of them behaved as if they knew. So idk. I've been tailed and it alerted me once. Lol, I don't get it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I had a notice I was being tailed once too. Not hacked. The purple area came up but no hacking bar.
I've had that happen too... but I just remembered I also had one where I only realized there was somebody because I went to go start a mission and got locked out...

I guess a hacker can "tail" you without any notification until they start the hack too and sometimes people just bail completely if they're spotted at this point?
I've tailed countless people (unlocked the trophy) and only one of them behaved as if they knew. So idk. I've been tailed and it alerted me once. Lol, I don't get it.
Yeah I'm trying to remember at what point in the process it was that I went to go try the mission and found I was locked out and wound up getting observed, I feel like it was only a few seconds afterward that they finished and I was able to enter the mission.

Kelsey

Banned

You get that before the hacker actually start hacking you. It's what appears before they finally hit down on the dpad.

ffman

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of graphics/performance how do the PS3/Xbox 360 versions hold up? I am really intrigued by Watch Dogs but I am not sure if the Xbox 360 version is too watered down to pay $60.

Kelsey

Banned
There is no notification before the hacker hits down on the dpad. He definitely describes a tailing mission.

I know it's confusing. :D

There is a notification before down on the dpad though. You first get a message saying you're being hacked. I get that a lot and then within 30 seconds I get the warning that my info is being stolen and often times the purple circle has moved far away from where it initially was during the first notification.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
so there's no invasion message until the download is initiated for a hack, but you immediately get an invasion message if you have a tail?

edit: I've experienced what Kelsey just described too, I think the "You are being invaded" message must occur on the initial hack (pressing X), not the download initiation (pressing Down)

So, I dont seem to get invaded at all, and it looks for online free roam sessions, tells me its an average wait time of two minutes and then takes 10 minutes and stops looking.

Any suggestions on why that is? :/

My Nat is Type 2 on PS4.

There is a notification before down on the dpad though. You first get a message saying you're being hacked. I get that a lot and then within 30 seconds I get the warning that my info is being stolen and often times the purple circle has moved far away from where it initially was during the first notification.

Yep sorry, I think that's true. Notification pops up after the first contact.

ttech10

Nope, you are simply confusing hacking and tailing.

People need to stop thinking this, it just adds to the confusion.

I have been tailed successfully after being told I was being invaded. I was running to a vehicle and I get the message that someone is trying to invade me and to find out who it is. A purple circle showed up on the map and continuously moved around as I tried to profile the person. After about a minute it said I failed and it highlighted a pedestrian and gave them a purple outline like it does when you are tailing someone.

I have been tailed before that where it told me I was being invaded. Once again, purple circle that moved around and eventually the person drove through a back alley in a car and I was able to successfully profile them.

From what I can tell, it may happen when you try and begin an activity that requires you to be alone in your game. Maybe next time someone can confirm via alternate methods (pausing, etc) that they are being tailed, to try and do something like fast travel, start a mission or other side activity.

Kelsey

Banned
Here's the first video I found listed on Youtube of being hacked.

Note that you get the warning that the hacker put something in your phone. It's later followed by the downloading of your data (when the hacker presses down on the dpad)

Video

Xyber

So are you confident that the visuals for The Division will be able to deliver?

It's a completely different studio with a different engine. I don't see why they should be judged by how WD looks.

Console version the The Division most likely won't look like that "gameplay" we saw, but PC version is totally possible.

Top Bottom