• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

fasTRapid

Banned
But the only reason you were notified is because you tried to request a tail contract. That's just the game telling you that you can't do that now because someone is already in your game.

If you're just going about your own game not trying to do a single player mission or trying to initiate an online session, you'll never know someone is tailing you unless they're doing dumb stuff or you're profiling and happen to catch them.
I think we're done here. ;)

jond76

Banned
I'm really enjoying this. There is so much to do!

Just a random observation, but this is the first time in an open world game where I've actually walked at walking speed for while. Every other game, I'm constantly sprinting everywhere. So kudos to Ubi for making me slow down and smell the roses.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just picked up the PC version. Hoping to max it even with all the horrible stories I've heard. We'll see...

That said, I'd like to dive right in, but also would like to play with my Dualshock 4. I have my 360 controller ready to go; but am wondering how quickly I can get a DS4 going and working right with this game. Any quick guides someone can link me to? Anyone have any input?

Linius

Just picked up the PC version. Hoping to max it even with all the horrible stories I've heard. We'll see...

That said, I'd like to dive right in, but also would like to play with my Dualshock 4. I have my 360 controller ready to go; but am wondering how quickly I can get a DS4 going and working right with this game. Any quick guides someone can link me to? Anyone have any input?

Well, I've been bvusy conquering a bug for two days which ultimately ended up being my DS4's fault. I say go with the 360 controller right away to avoid any kind of trouble because that one works 100%. My L1 button was giving me trouble as it turned out, couldnt holster my gun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You are not notified when you are being tailed unless you profile your tailer first, or try to start a mission or anything else that requires you to be alone. Think of all the times you tailed someone successfully and they were just going about their business unlocking a collectible.

You are notified that you are being invaded if you try to start a mission while someone is in your game (it has to tell you why you can't start a mission after all). You get a purple circle around the enemy's area. This can show up before they start to backdoor or observe you. This way I was able to see that someone that someone had invaded me, but while searching for them the game stopped and said I was the victim of a successful tail.

If you are not near a mission and have not seen your invader first, you are only notified when the hack actually starts (not when you first profile the enemy). See here at 2:00 http://youtu.be/6CT3xPxZq9g
this generally meshes with my experience but I am totally unsure of everything now.

wait a minute it..

THIS IS HOW THEY WANT US TO FEEL

I just had a hack where I was stationed in a car park for 80%, saw the target pull up and run up the stairs and basically ran straight past him, hopped down to ground level, got in his car, and hid the last 10%. I started up his car and started to drive away... his face when it zoomed to my location... and because of the way the online functions I got to just keep his car. I don't get how you could not love this

SJRB

Gold Member
Sheesh this game is so cool. Sneaking through a compound, get caught, activate a blackout, escape, use the hide-in-car mechanic to evade enemy patrol cars. So badass.

ToiJu

I wonder if this is a PS4 exclusive plate.

watch_dogs_2014060101fsszo.jpg

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Well, I've been bvusy conquering a bug for two days which ultimately ended up being my DS4's fault. I say go with the 360 controller right away to avoid any kind of trouble because that one works 100%. My L1 button was giving me trouble as it turned out, couldnt holster my gun.

Cool. Thanks for the heads up!

Dries

Man, killing people in this game doesn't feel right. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

But dat atmosphere btw. Ubi nailed it.

Man, killing people in this game doesn't feel right. I try to avoid it as much as possible.

But dat atmosphere btw. Ubi nailed it.

I hate stopping a crime, not getting near the person in time, only to have to chase after them and kill them :| Then they call the cops on me.

SJRB

Gold Member
I hate stopping a crime, not getting near the person in time, only to have to chase after them and kill them :| Then they call the cops on me.

..then don't kill them, bro. Catch up and baton them in the face. Way more satisfying than a cheap bullet in the back of the head. More points, too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
ARG! Just lost a hack at 99% against a very strong defense guy. What a match...

So, okay, when you are in multiplayer and controlling a camera, the other player can't control that camera- but they also know you're somewhere close enough to be using that camera. In the last 15% of this match, I had a great hiding spot with tons of cover, but two cameras on the area. Whenever I saw him activate one camera, I moved to cover from that one and hacked the other, knowing that he wouldn't be able to use it to catch me. When he exited it, I exited mine and switched sides and got hacked the one with a view of me. Basically rotating back and forth between the cameras to keep him from every having a clear look. At 95% he looked like he was running away and I exited the camera that had a view of me, and he wisely decided to hack right back into it and profiled me at 99%. I panicked and jumped down to my waiting car but fell, and then got shotgunned in the back :(

Getting matches quicker and more consistently now. Gonna be playing this one for a while.

edit: Gaz_RB is 3rd on PS4

HelloMeow

So, okay, when you are in multiplayer and controlling a camera, the other player can't control that camera- but they also know you're somewhere close enough to be using that camera. In the last 15% of this match, I had a great hiding spot with tons of cover, but two cameras on the area. Whenever I saw him activate one camera, I moved to cover from that one and hacked the other, knowing that he wouldn't be able to use it to catch me. When he exited it, I exited mine and switched sides and got hacked the one with a view of me. Basically rotating back and forth between the cameras to keep him from every having a clear look. At 95% he looked like he was running away and I exited the camera that had a view of me, and he wisely decided to hack right back into it and profiled me at 99%. I panicked and jumped down to my waiting car but fell, and then got shotgunned in the back :(

Getting matches quicker and more consistently now. Gonna be playing this one for a while.

Next time you should trigger a black out, so he can't use the cameras. Also, you can hop from camera to camera, so you won't have to be close to the one you're using.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Next time you should trigger a black out, so he can't use the cameras. Also, you can hop from camera to camera, so you won't have to be close to the one you're using.

o_o.

I... only ever thought of using blackout for darkness at night... what is brain

edit: And I was camera hopping, I started the hack from like 150m away hahah

I played that guy last night. I saw him spawn in so I killed him extremely fast.

People need to stop thinking this, it just adds to the confusion.

I have been tailed successfully after being told I was being invaded. I was running to a vehicle and I get the message that someone is trying to invade me and to find out who it is. A purple circle showed up on the map and continuously moved around as I tried to profile the person. After about a minute it said I failed and it highlighted a pedestrian and gave them a purple outline like it does when you are tailing someone.

I have been tailed before that where it told me I was being invaded. Once again, purple circle that moved around and eventually the person drove through a back alley in a car and I was able to successfully profile them.

From what I can tell, it may happen when you try and begin an activity that requires you to be alone in your game. Maybe next time someone can confirm via alternate methods (pausing, etc) that they are being tailed, to try and do something like fast travel, start a mission or other side activity.
This seems likely. I only fit the tailing notice after I tried to start a story mission.

HanselBot

Banned
I spent a bit of time yesterday getting the online trophies over with (previous experiences with Ubisoft online trophies has not been good :D), and found that on a few occasions the game would become incredibly slow and stuttery after jumping back into the game (after the "locating fixer" map screen). Eventually it would come good, seemingly after driving a certain distance, but it happened about 4 times so it wasn't an isolated incident.

Not the end of the world and hopefully they'll patch it up while they're fixing the other more serious game breaking bugs, but just be aware if it happens to you it'll come good if you keep driving for a while.

EDIT: PS4

Kelsey

Banned
Every single time I come out of a mission now I get hacked or trailed. You're definitely not warned when someone enters your game. When I leave a mission I start hitting focus until I notice that it's not affecting anything around me anymore. When that happens, I know a profiling is about to be initiated or I'm about to be trailed. I immediately try to start a mission so that the game warns me about what's going on. Feels like quasi-cheating on my part, but I don't care.

JB1981

I ummm really like this game? Quite polished for a Ubisoft game. Framerate is smooth as hell even though IQ is a little subpar. Lots to do and even the minigames/side missions are pretty substantial and not superificial fluff.

I take back everything I said about the licensed soundtrack, it has a track from Weezer's album Pinkerton, therefore automatically making it the best licensed soundtrack ever.

Grisby

I'm so glad that when it rains, it rains. I think I saw one storm during my entire GTA5 run and even AC4 didn't do it that much.

If you've got a weather system then show it rover.

first i thought Night+ rain looks the best but yesterday i it was like 3pm cloudy + fog + rain and it looked so realistic i couldnt believe it.

Jeebus the hacking in the game is sooo much fun. I spark up the PS4 thinking Imma gonna get through some campaign tonight, but just online one hack before I start ... 3 hours later ... still hacking .. lol ..

Izuna

Banned
I've watched that several times. What's the funny part?
http://gameclipscontent-d2003.xboxl..._=1401554654_c10223a8d68effa9842997c2f3ed39e5

Are you kidding? They said to circle around but thought I left the car even though I was just "circling" around the very same car. Also the headshot through the windshield was incredibly unrealistic, it didn't even shatter the glass of the car.

This game had a but of uncanny valley, where a lot of it is realistic so the parts that aren't stand out more than other games.

Linius

That jacket is in the season pass right?

It's the mobster outfit. I don't have the seasonpass though. I bought a DLC package on G2A containing the mobster outfit and two other DLC bits. Was like 1.35 dollars so I figured I just get that because I wanted this outfit.

Zeliard

The idea that you have to invent your own challenge just wreaks of bad design.

I don't really agree. In any game with systemic, sandbox elements, making your own fun is an inherent part of the design. That's where the sandbox aspect comes in - you're given a set of tools and then it's largely up to you to do with them as you see fit.

If you're going through the game in a way that you find too repetitive and boring, try out some other creative ways to accomplish the objectives. In any game of this sort, there will always be one optimum way to play as far as sheer effectiveness, so some of the onus for mixing things up should rest with the individual player.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I know I have been pretty harsh on Ubi but I must admit, I am loving this game so much. I am enjoying this game a lot more than GTAV. I haven't read through this thread yet but am I in the minority?

Hats off to ubi, this is the first game you guys have made that I have genuinely enjoyed the hell out of.

btw the graphics are amazing, what are people going on about?

I know I have been pretty harsh on Ubi but I must admit, I am loving this game so much. I am enjoying this game a lot more than GTAV. I haven't read through this thread yet but am I in the minority?

Hats off to ubi, this is the first game you guys have made that I have genuinely enjoyed the hell out of.

btw the graphics are amazing, what are people going on about?

I just finished the main campaign and I agree. Loved the game. This is the exact reason to take GAF's fervor with a grain of salt.

All anyone talked about leading up to the release was the graphics. While the game was a little rough around the edges it still came together to be honestly the best game I've played in a while.

I'm looking forward to watchdogs 2.

Top Bottom