• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Skyzard

Banned
Online Hacking is fucking HILARIOUS.

I started playing it for the first time yesterday and ended up getting the 10 Hacks Trophy within a couple of hours as it took me a while to get how to play this mode.

My number one favourite thing that worked well for me was hiding in bushes where they're designed so that you can go in to them and they cover you completely when you 'cover' on the wall. Sometimes in clear spots yet no one can find you most of the time unless they're just happening to glance in your specific spot. Worked all but once for me.

Picking spots to hide at the very edge of the radar also worked well for me as not many people think to look there if the particular spot you're covering in is 2cm away from no man's land.

So many ways to hide and it's fun watching the others run around like headless chickens.

I reset my Notoriety though to see if that works with getting me more tails though. Just how on Earth are you supposed to get that Traced trophy?

It's awesome hiding, then using the cameras to keep an eye on them and change position if necessary.

It's basically online hide and seek, which is awesome.

Pooya

Have any of you seen a NPC riding a motorcycle? I haven't.

I don't think there is any...
AIs driving boats are too idiotic too, they just go straight lines. Boats feel like an afterthought added to the game.

The sequel needs to have a lot more vehicles and bicycles, more than like two(?) type of boats and actually aircrafts... It's too basic right now.

Carbonox

You know how vehicles stop if you're running in front of them? I noticed whilst swimming that boats do not. Made me laugh when one just plowed right through my head without any care in the world.

So ending spoilers.

did you walk or shoot Maurice? I walked because I collected all the audio logs he left over the city and he was just as much a victim in this as I was. His family has been killed, guy deserved a second chance.

I walked but the 'second chance' argument is stupid in my opinion. Did Lena have a second chance?

JB1981

What is this PSN/PS4 magic where I was able to play the game after downloading only 3GB? Have to say this has to be the most "next gen" feature of PS4 so far. The game is 19gb and I'm able to play after only downloading 3gb? It literally took 15 min! PS3 took longer just to install a game off the disc !

So ending spoilers.

did you walk or shoot Maurice? I walked because I collected all the audio logs he left over the city and he was just as much a victim in this as I was. His family has been killed, guy deserved a second chance.

I shot the guy point blank in the head. I had to think about it, but realized the guy would probably come after me for revenge if I didn't. When I shot him in the head it just goes black and the game ends. Does something different happen if you let him walk?

ButchCat

Ok, apparently the costume/mission packs (not talking about t-bone) come down the line if you purchased the season pass. That's a real shame because I wanted to play and beat the game while wearing this

Watch_Dogs_Chicago_South_Club_Outfit.jpg

The emblem on the back looks fantastic. Unless somebody knows where I can find the mission/costume dlc packs? I can only see the untouchables packs.

I find it funny how this season pass turned out to be a mixed bag, I have this Chicago South Club outfit but am missing the Untouchables pack. It's definitely outshines the rest of the outfits though.

Kysen

Liking this game way more than GTA5, something about the more serious story just clicks with me. I see this games features on the same level as GTA3 that just needs a few more sequels to improve things. Namely the driving mechanics, AI behavior and mission variety. Amazing that they got this close on their first attempt.

I gotta say, I love how they made Chicago feel alive.
Watched some guy play basketball he misses, dribbles, different throws, checks his phone everyonce in awhile, while holding the basketball.
Something so small, but helps make the world feel alive.

Liking this game way more than GTA5, something about the more serious story just clicks with me. I see this games features on the same level as GTA3 that just needs a few more sequels to improve things. Namely the driving mechanics, AI behavior and mission variety. Amazing that they got this close on their first attempt.

Wow, I don't see how anyone could like this more than GTA5. That game is just on a whole different level in pretty much every way. I can see room for improvement for the sequel with a bigger budget and more time though. GTA5 is just the complete package and will be hard to be beat.

arhra

Ran across this guy while doing a ctOS control center.

mqtByPa.jpg

Didn't even want to find out what conversation would entail if I tried the distract opportunity.

KxoZz

So ending spoilers.

Thought about it for like 10 minutes while aiming at his head. Heard him out and collected all the burner phones but decided to shoot him anyway

Jedi2016

Wow, I don't see how anyone could like this more than GTA5.
Agreed.

I figured this out last night, after playing some WD for a couple hours, then I went and played some GTA for a couple hours (I wasn't planning to play that long, but, you know... GTA). The difference is in the core game design/goal:

WD is made as a hacking game first and foremost, that just happens to take place in an open world. In GTA, the open world is the game, and a bunch of stuff happens in it.

Chicago was designed to be real. Los Santos was designed to be fun. The world itself in GTA is just more interesting. When you don't have an interesting world in an open-world game, you're missing the point of having an open world in the first place.

I'm definitely understanding why Rockstar went the way they did. It wasn't just about not using a real city, it was about being able to create a world from scratch that's interesting and fun.. it's Level Design 101. By locking yourself into a real place, you automatically remove your ability to create something fun for a gamer, you're just stuck trying to recreate a real place. And real places aren't that fun for gamers. The only reason Infamous gets away with it is the superpowers. WD's hacking just doesn't fill that same niche. It tries to be GTA: Hack City, but they just didn't get it.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's not. But it's not a particularly good open-world game, and it sure as hell isn't a GTA.

Ran across this guy while doing a ctOS control center.

mqtByPa.jpg

Didn't even want to find out what conversation would entail if I tried the distract opportunity.

In the conversation, someone tells him the orchestra is hiring someone to clean the instruments. They ask if the guy could do it and he says yes

Codiox

Jesus when will they fix the online mode???

I cant connect to any of my friends games amd vice versa. It always say "session is not available anymore"

This game had to be delayed another month to test the online modes.

Wow, I don't see how anyone could like this more than GTA5. That game is just on a whole different level in pretty much every way. I can see room for improvement for the sequel with a bigger budget and more time though. GTA5 is just the complete package and will be hard to be beat.

I wouldn't say that. All the hacking opportunities in both gunfights and driving make combat and car chases much more interesting than GTA's straightforward shooting/driving (which is what 90% of either game ends up being.) The invasion-style agent vs agent multiplayer is also a cut above what GTA offers.

Is it possible to hack a friends game manually? For example: click on the friend and manually choose to go in there game and hack them. Or is it always random?

SJRB

Gold Member
Suddenly motherfucking Wu-Tang Clan hahaha, that was so awesome.

Dat rain lighting.

Yeah it looks amazing when it rains.

eBtpSXN.jpg

FYg1uVD.jpg

I'm constantly amazed by the awesome art pieces I find everywhere, is real-life Chicago like this too? Beautiful city.

What is this PSN/PS4 magic where I was able to play the game after downloading only 3GB? Have to say this has to be the most "next gen" feature of PS4 so far. The game is 19gb and I'm able to play after only downloading 3gb? It literally took 15 min! PS3 took longer just to install a game off the disc !

You'll be playing for about 5 mins before it makes you install the rest so don't get too excited.

I wouldn't say that. All the hacking opportunities in both gunfights and driving make combat and car chases much more interesting than GTA's straightforward shooting/driving (which is what 90% of either game ends up being.) The invasion-style agent vs agent multiplayer is also a cut above what GTA offers.

The hacking part is good in this game, don't get me wrong. There isn't anything as fun in this game as the heists in GTA5 though. Also with GTA 5 it's in the little details. Everything in the world feels alive. Everything behaves as it would in real life from footprints in the sand on the beach, to running over medians in cars and hearing the noise for them. You can tell Rockstar put their heart and soul into the game in everything. The writing and the acting are on another level also. GTA 5 made me care about the 3 main characters. I still don't give a shit about Aiden and actually hope they don't use him in the sequel.

Raxious

Ffs, I need 3 more songs to get that trophy, but it's impossible :s I have no idea what idiot at Ubsioft came up with the idea to have the chance of the music actually spawning be so incredibly low.

sjay1994

Agreed.

I figured this out last night, after playing some WD for a couple hours, then I went and played some GTA for a couple hours (I wasn't planning to play that long, but, you know... GTA). The difference is in the core game design/goal:

WD is made as a hacking game first and foremost, that just happens to take place in an open world. In GTA, the open world is the game, and a bunch of stuff happens in it.

Chicago was designed to be real. Los Santos was designed to be fun. The world itself in GTA is just more interesting. When you don't have an interesting world in an open-world game, you're missing the point of having an open world in the first place.

I'm definitely understanding why Rockstar went the way they did. It wasn't just about not using a real city, it was about being able to create a world from scratch that's interesting and fun.. it's Level Design 101. By locking yourself into a real place, you automatically remove your ability to create something fun for a gamer, you're just stuck trying to recreate a real place. And real places aren't that fun for gamers. The only reason Infamous gets away with it is the superpowers. WD's hacking just doesn't fill that same niche. It tries to be GTA: Hack City, but they just didn't get it.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's not. But it's not a particularly good open-world game, and it sure as hell isn't a GTA.

What?

GTA V was one of the most boring open worlds I ever played in. Sure its vastly detailed, but I never had fun in it. The missions are all the same drive here, shoot guys, leave, with no added ability for variation in those missions, and you are punished with a fail if you don't follow the script. Its filled with minigames with zero actual bearings on the game.

Oh if you play tennis or other sports, you increase your strength. Ok, what does strength do?

Oh it increases your melee strenght.

You mean your shit melee that's impractical in almost every other situation than hitting a random passer by?

Its filled with empty space and features there for no apparent reason. You can hunt animals. Whats the point?

GTAV is just a bloated game, with so much stuffing but when you look at the core of it, its incredibly shallow.

Saints Row and Watch Dogs are way more fun than GTA was.

Although I will agree with you on using real world locations. That doesn't really click to me, because they are just playspaces. Although Watch Dogs adds a lot of personality to it.

The hacking part is good in this game, don't get me wrong. There isn't anything as fun in this game as the heists in GTA5 though. Also with GTA 5 it's in the little details. Everything in the world feels alive. Everything behaves as it would in real life from footprints in the sand on the beach, to running over medians in cars and hearing the noise for them. You can tell Rockstar put their heart and soul into the game in everything. The writing and the acting are on another level also. GTA 5 made me care about the 3 main characters. I still don't give a shit about Aiden and actually hope they don't use him in the sequel.

I remember being pretty disappointed with the heists beyond the first one. Can't argue with the detail and characters though.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I can't help but hate Aiden as a character. He's right up there with Kratos for me in terms of being an unlikeable and selfish asshole who doesn't understand that everything bad that's happened to him is his fault. His niece got killed after a job gone bad, a job in which he was trying to steal a bunch of money that wasn't his, and now to get revenge he's continuing the lifestyle that got his niece killed in the first place despite constant protests by the girls own mother/his sister. He whole time he just thinks he's right, and will stop at nothing to get his revenge even if it means wronging many others in the exact same way that he was wronged.

The thing is, my problem isn't that Aiden is a psychopathic asshole, it's that I don't think that the game itself is attempting to present him this way. The protagonists of GTA V were despicable, but I didn't hate playing as them because they were never presented as anything but psychotic assholes. GTA presents the lifestyles of the protagonists as a means of critiquing them. Watch_Dogs, on the other hand, seems to want to audience to be in awe of the cool antihero vigilante they've created. It's like the game just wants you to accept that Aiden is a respectable figure and refuses to acknowledge that he's absolutely insane. For example, towards the end of Act 2 Aiden
kills Crispin, a party guest for the sex slave auction, so that he can pretend to be him and gain access. The game goes out of its was to villainize the man by showing that he abuses women and is into the most vile of sex acts. The thing is, Aiden doesn't know any of this when he decides to kill him. All that Aiden knows is that he has access to the auction, and that's enough for him to decide to kill a man who has done no wrong to him. It is only once Aiden is impersonating Crispin that we see that the man was a monster. By pressing the story in this way it comes off as Ubisoft condoning Aiden's actions, like they're saying "don't worry about that innocent man Aiden just killed, he was actually a terrible person!" It doesn't matter if the world was better off without him, Aiden still made a fucked up decision and it's almost as if the game doesn't want you to notice that.

I actually don't mind playing through the story missions with the perception that Aiden is just a sociopath with a power complex, and the story became a lot more fun when I came to terms with the idea that I should just accept Aiden as a psycho. I just don't think that's how Ubisoft wants me to perceive their protagonist. I'm only at the beginning of Act 3 though, so maybe this is how I'm supposed to feel at this point.

Danny 117

The framerate in the multiplayer(in particular, decryption) is an absolute joke sometimes, definitely dropping to the teens. I hope they release a patch for this ASAP (Xbox One)

Kelsey

Banned
You know how vehicles stop if you're running in front of them? I noticed whilst swimming that boats do not. Made me laugh when one just plowed right through my head without any care in the world.

What's odd to me is that if you stand on the train tracks with your back to the train, it'll run you down like you're not there. But if leap onto the tracks right as it's passing by it will stop on a dime. What's up with that?

kazebyaka

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far, but I can't help but hate Aiden as a character. He's right up there with Kratos for me in terms of being an unlikeable and selfish asshole who doesn't understand that everything bad that's happened to him is his fault. His niece got killed after a job gone bad, a job in which he was trying to steal a bunch of money that wasn't his, and now to get revenge he's continuing the lifestyle that got his niece killed in the first place despite constant protests by the girls own mother/his sister. He whole time he just thinks he's right, and will stop at nothing to get his revenge even if it means wronging many others in the exact same way that he was wronged.

The thing is, my problem isn't that Aiden is a psychopathic asshole, it's that I don't think that the game itself is attempting to present him this way. The protagonists of GTA V were despicable, but I didn't hate playing as them because they were never presented as anything but psychotic assholes. GTA presents the lifestyles of the protagonists as a means of critiquing them. Watch_Dogs, on the other hand, seems to want to audience to be in awe of the cool antihero vigilante they've created. It's like the game just wants you to accept that Aiden is a respectable figure and refuses to acknowledge that he's absolutely insane. For example, towards the end of Act 2 Aiden
kills Crispin, a party guest for the sex slave auction, so that he can pretend to be him and gain access. The game goes out of its was to villainize the man by showing that he abuses women and is into the most vile of sex acts. The thing is, Aiden doesn't know any of this when he decides to kill him. All that Aiden knows is that he has access to the auction, and that's enough for him to decide to kill a man who has done no wrong to him. It is only once Aiden is impersonating Crispin that we see that the man was a monster. By pressing the story in this way it comes off as Ubisoft condoning Aiden's actions, like they're saying "don't worry about that innocent man Aiden just killed, he was actually a terrible person!" It doesn't matter if the world was better off without him, Aiden still made a fucked up decision and it's almost as if the game doesn't want you to notice that.

I actually don't mind playing through the story missions with the perception that Aiden is just a sociopath with a power complex, and the story became a lot more fun when I came to terms with the idea that I should just accept Aiden as a psycho. I just don't think that's how Ubisoft wants me to perceive their protagonist. I'm only at the beginning of Act 3 though, so maybe this is how I'm supposed to feel at this point.
I like Aiden. He feels like a human being, very similar to Assassin's Creed's characters. He's more of a grey character who's neither good or bad. He just a guy who wants to get his revenge with any means necessary.

leng jai

That's funny because I could easily see how people could enjoy Watch Dogs far more than GTAV.

kiguel182

The framerate in the multiplayer(in particular, decryption) is an absolute joke sometimes, definitely dropping to the teens. I hope they release a patch for this ASAP (Xbox One)

I agree, that framerate is atrotious (PS4).

Fortunetly decription gets boring really fast.

kazebyaka

Banned
I think Watch_Dogs' open world (level?) design is vastly superior to Rockstar's. It's just a better game if you take two open worlds for what they have to offer.

Danny 117

I agree, that framerate is atrotious (PS4).

Fortunetly decription gets boring really fast.

Yeah I keep hearing the multiplayer really shines in the other modes.

If I just went to the (early game spoiler)
birthday party
, how long until I unlock the other online modes eg hacking and tailing?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Side mission question.

I've done the 6/6 missions for the missing/murdered girls. On the final one the guy phoned me just heavy breathing. Where do I go next? Nothing is shown on the map.

Kelsey

Banned
I think Watch_Dogs' open world (level?) design is vastly superior to Rockstar's. It's just a better game if you take two open worlds for what they have to offer.

I enjoy both games immensely, but WD's Chicago isn't in the same league as GTA5's Los Santos. Los Santos is designed for fun. You can pretty much drive anywhere at any time. Try that in WD and you'll just quickly end up hitting invisible walls and rock formations hindering your progress.

RoKKeR

I enjoy both games immensely, but WD's Chicago isn't in the same league as GTA5's Los Santos. Los Santos is designed for fun. You can pretty much drive anywhere at any time. Try that in WD and you'll just quickly end up hitting invisible walls and rock formations hindering your progress.

I agree on the fun part, but WD's Chicago 'feels' more like a real city. I played for a long time yesterday and as I was tiring and about to get off I realized how immersive the city really is, just felt very connected to it and I think that comes from it feeling authentic.

Furyous

Really not enjoying the chase portion of the Breakable Things mission. I've tried it like 20 times in a row and even when I manage to take out the target's car when I'm chasing him the fixers (all 6 carfulls of them) kill me.

Half the time I end up getting stuck on part of the scenery and that screws me over.

Wondered if there was a trick to it, watched a YouTube walkthrough and the player just got lucky and the very first street light took out the target.

The trick with this mission is to goad the fixers into drive into blockers. Use your car for cover and carry a grenade a launcher. It should take less than 10 minutes to clear out fixers with a single shot grenade launcher.

I finally beat jury rigged. I used blackout to stay hidden and distract enemies while I moved around. I didn't kill anyone and knocked out four guards.

kiguel182

Yeah I keep hearing the multiplayer really shines in the other modes.

If I just went to the (early game spoiler)
birthday party
, how long until I unlock the other online modes eg hacking and tailing?

Those two modes are the best ones for sure.

I think one or two more missions if I'm not mistaken.

Online Hacking is fucking HILARIOUS.

I started playing it for the first time yesterday and ended up getting the 10 Hacks Trophy within a couple of hours as it took me a while to get how to play this mode.

My number one favourite thing that worked well for me was hiding in bushes where they're designed so that you can go in to them and they cover you completely when you 'cover' on the wall. Sometimes in clear spots yet no one can find you most of the time unless they're just happening to glance in your specific spot. Worked all but once for me.

Picking spots to hide at the very edge of the radar also worked well for me as not many people think to look there if the particular spot you're covering in is 2cm away from no man's land.

So many ways to hide and it's fun watching the others run around like headless chickens.

I reset my Notoriety though to see if that works with getting me more tails though. Just how on Earth are you supposed to get that Traced trophy?

Clever! Hadn't considered that. I usually just 'hide in car'. Haha

Top Bottom