• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Pooya

Side mission question.

I've done the 6/6 missions for the missing/murdered girls. On the final one the guy phoned me just heavy breathing. Where do I go next? Nothing is shown on the map.

There should a blue marked area after you track his phone on your map in the country side/north west (that's were it happened for me, maybe it's random? dunno), you gotta go there and profile him.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
What?

GTA V was one of the most boring open worlds I ever played in. Sure its vastly detailed, but I never had fun in it. The missions are all the same drive here, shoot guys, leave, with no added ability for variation in those missions, and you are punished with a fail if you don't follow the script. Its filled with minigames with zero actual bearings on the game.

Oh if you play tennis or other sports, you increase your strength. Ok, what does strength do?

Oh it increases your melee strenght.

You mean your shit melee that's impractical in almost every other situation than hitting a random passer by?

Its filled with empty space and features there for no apparent reason. You can hunt animals. Whats the point?

GTAV is just a bloated game, with so much stuffing but when you look at the core of it, its incredibly shallow.

Saints Row and Watch Dogs are way more fun than GTA was.

Although I will agree with you on using real world locations. That doesn't really click to me, because they are just playspaces. Although Watch Dogs adds a lot of personality to it.

Agree. GTAV is emblamatic of the problems I typically have with open world game design. A lot of things to do, none of which are actually fun.

kiguel182

This game in rainy nights looks really good. Only shame is the resolution.

When the sun hits just right it also produces great results. Downgrade or no downgrade.

Finally discovered the magic of Upload Studio via Watch Dogs last night. Being able to do a mission with the awareness that you can save the clip really makes you feel like a "director" of sorts. Takes gaming to a whole new level imo.

I did a convoy mission last night and I honestly had a blast trying to do it in the coolest looking way possible. It was almost like yelling "CUT!" each time I restarted a mission lol. Such a nice reward to sit back and watch something you created afterward. Getting my inner Michael Mann fix haha.

Absolutely LOVE this feature. It's kind of like this gen's equivalent of achievements. Whereas that trend never really took for me, I feel like recording on PS4 and Xbox One will really dramatically boost the replay of games for me. So much fun!

RoKKeR

There are some times where it sounds like Aiden has a different voice actor, during occasional story missions when he raises his voice or something haha it's weird.

Zeliard

I started a second game just to do story missions over again, and the only difference I've seen is that the more red your bar is the more likely civilians are to call the cops on you for the smallest thing. The more blue, the least likely they are to call the cops.

On my first game I've got got mostly blue and usually only 1 person calls the cops when I end up getting into a firefight in public, whereas in the second game where I'm mostly red just having a gun drawn has caused multiple witnesses to start dialing.

Not reputation - notoriety, the points you get from winning the online activities. The points you get from different players seem randomized, but I'm assuming they're dependent upon certain specific parameters.

Hawk269

This game in rainy nights looks really good. Only shame is the resolution.

When the sun hits just right it also produces great results. Downgrade or no downgrade.

It is not only resolution. It is the AA method that during the day the PS4/X1 version IQ goes down. It is much easier to hide these issues when it is night time, but during the day, it is pretty bad. The most visually distracting scene was when you first wake up walk out your hotel room at the beginning of the day and you look toward the street with the intersection and even the lines on the street are pretty jaggy as is building and posts etc. It is like the polar opposite of Oblivion when you came out of the cave and you were greeted with an amazing (at it's time) visual of a mountain with water in front of it and a few structures.

The resolution, even at 1080p would not help this too much without proper AA. I have all 3 versions, ended getting the PS4 one yesterday for free and I had both the Xbox One and PS4 version running at the same time and just switched inputs and I could not tell the difference between the two at all. When I switched to the PC version, wow what a difference. But for argument sakes, what I did was put the PC version at 1080p, but with no AA and reduced AF as well and while it did look cleaner that the PS4/X1 version, it was not that much of a difference because it also was full of jaggies in the day time setting.

I know that this may sound controversial, but since the difference between the X1/PS4 are so slight, even going by DF results, I would prefer if Ubi Soft reduce the PS4 resolution to 792p and give me more aggressive AA and AF.

RoKKeR

When you are
escaping with Nikki and Jacks
do the Police ever stop searching for you? I've been hiding in this alleyway for 5 minutes and they don't go away.

Wow the view from the lighthouse type island is amazing , also where I discovered a missing person case (first time I had seen this in 10+ hrs , I must commend ubi soft for finally doing collectables right)

Unlike assassins creed and far cry I'm finding the little collectables side quests really interesting. It's not just boring treasure chests or flags but peeking into random lives. Even hackling the ctos towers gives u little insights when you hack the server and see just how pervasive cots is. I was watching a couple of sex (thank god the wife wasn't home lol)

Really hope this sells well (I think that's definetely happening) as I would love to see what they can expand in a sequel. I also want that ost soundtrack playable on my radio instead of the shit songs they give you :)

Some of these vistas could be straight out if blade runner , just need the flying cars :)

played a good chunk of the side activities and they feel generic, lifeless and at times unending, the Fixer ones in particular, though convoy and gang hideout are starting to where thin too.

nate75

gIvcyKo.jpg

racing out of a tunnel almost blinded , j.j.Abrams would be proud

RoKKeR

Ubisoft pulling all the original ideas together here with the
emotional song playing on the drive after the emotional beat of the story

Getting to the end of the story here, had a lot of potential but it was brought down by the family story line that was horribly done.

breakfuss

Gotta admit, I'm having more fun w/ this than I thought I would. I won't go as far as to say I'm 'eating crow', though. lol. But there is a very solid game here. They'll just need build on some things for the sequel. Just finished about a dozen online races and had an absolute blast. Triggering steam pipes and spikes against opponents; landing crazy jumps. Ahh man. Even recorded them (and I never bother with that feature).

kiguel182

It is not only resolution. It is the AA method that during the day the PS4/X1 version IQ goes down. It is much easier to hide these issues when it is night time, but during the day, it is pretty bad. The most visually distracting scene was when you first wake up walk out your hotel room at the beginning of the day and you look toward the street with the intersection and even the lines on the street are pretty jaggy as is building and posts etc. It is like the polar opposite of Oblivion when you came out of the cave and you were greeted with an amazing (at it's time) visual of a mountain with water in front of it and a few structures.

The resolution, even at 1080p would not help this too much without proper AA. I have all 3 versions, ended getting the PS4 one yesterday for free and I had both the Xbox One and PS4 version running at the same time and just switched inputs and I could not tell the difference between the two at all. When I switched to the PC version, wow what a difference. But for argument sakes, what I did was put the PC version at 1080p, but with no AA and reduced AF as well and while it did look cleaner that the PS4/X1 version, it was not that much of a difference because it also was full of jaggies in the day time setting.

I know that this may sound controversial, but since the difference between the X1/PS4 are so slight, even going by DF results, I would prefer if Ubi Soft reduce the PS4 resolution to 792p and give me more aggressive AA and AF.

Yeah, better AA would be awesome but 1080p would help at least.

Jaggies really bring the visuals down.

Also, has anyone done a proper comparasion with the 2012 footage? The ones I saw were all at the wrong time of day.

Jedi2016

GTA V was one of the most boring open worlds I ever played in. Sure its vastly detailed, but I never had fun in it. The missions are all the same drive here, shoot guys, leave, with no added ability for variation in those missions, and you are punished with a fail if you don't follow the script. Its filled with minigames with zero actual bearings on the game.

Oh if you play tennis or other sports, you increase your strength. Ok, what does strength do?

Oh it increases your melee strenght.

You mean your shit melee that's impractical in almost every other situation than hitting a random passer by?

Its filled with empty space and features there for no apparent reason. You can hunt animals. Whats the point?

GTAV is just a bloated game, with so much stuffing but when you look at the core of it, its incredibly shallow.
I guess it depends on what you want out of an open world game.

For me, it's not about missions, or goals, or stats, or minigames, or any of that. It's about freedom. It's about saying "I want to go to the top of that mountain" and being able to actually do it. It's looking on the map and seeing a single road winding off into the middle of nowhere, and wanting to know where that road leads. Only one way to find out.

Take last night for example, what I was doing in GTA. I remembered one cool location from the main story, and I didn't remember where it was. Too slow to move on the ground, so I hopped in a helicopter and buzzed around until I found it. Then I took the chopper to the other side of the city, as high as I could go, and jumped out, just to see if I could parachute all the way across town and land on my goal. Try doing that in Watch Dogs. This is what I'm referring to when I say that the open world is the game, rather than just the game taking place in an open world.

I've already beaten the story in GTA. There's nothing left for me to "do", really. And yet I'm able to spend hours just running around doing nothing, and I enjoy every minute of it. Skyrim's the same way. Watch_Dogs isn't. Neither is Infamous. I don't see myself continuing to play this game after I beat the campaign, if I even make it to the end at all.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Am I the only one who thinks this game looks great? Anyone who played PS360 open world games should see this game is a step above.

malfcn

Decryption was a mess. Loaded into a match and they had most of the file done. Died and it took so long to load the game was almost over.

This will be a 10 and done mode.

Are there stats like K/D or anything for Online modes?

Finally discovered the magic of Upload Studio via Watch Dogs last night. Being able to do a mission with the awareness that you can save the clip really makes you feel like a "director" of sorts. Takes gaming to a whole new level imo.

I did a convoy mission last night and I honestly had a blast trying to do it in the coolest looking way possible. It was almost like yelling "CUT!" each time I restarted a mission lol. Such a nice reward to sit back and watch something you created afterward. Getting my inner Michael Mann fix haha.

Absolutely LOVE this feature. It's kind of like this gen's equivalent of achievements. Whereas that trend never really took for me, I feel like recording on PS4 and Xbox One will really dramatically boost the replay of games for me. So much fun!

I just want to know how you've gotten the clip feature to work.

When I turn on recording and have the setting to 15 minutes, if I go over 15 minutes of recording, then want to save the last 15 minutes, it's all gone.

Suddenly motherfucking Wu-Tang Clan hahaha, that was so awesome.

Yeah it looks amazing when it rains.

eBtpSXN.jpg

FYg1uVD.jpg

I'm constantly amazed by the awesome art pieces I find everywhere, is real-life Chicago like this too? Beautiful city.

It is. I lived there for 5 years (actually 2 blocks from the 2nd pic) and imho it is the best big city in the United States. Its got everything NYC does but is cleaner, nicer and much, much cheaper. The slightly chilly winters and localized areas of gang violence (in the south side) give it a bad rap.

valkyre

Something in regards to the ps4 version, does everybody encounter some 2-3 Second stuttering when completing a mission or is it just me?

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
I guess it depends on what you want out of an open world game.

For me, it's not about missions, or goals, or stats, or minigames, or any of that. It's about freedom.

Then there would not be any distinction between Watch Dogs and GTA. Its not fair for every open world to be compared to GTA. It should nit have to match the feature set of GTA while bring ing its own unique gameplay to the table.

Watch Dogs has its hacking, puzzles and stealth. Sleeping Dogs has its combat, rarity of guns and morality. Saints Row has its sillyness.

These are all games that were compared to GTA at some point but have or tried to find its own distinct flavor of gameplay.

kazebyaka

Banned
Then there would not be any distinction between Watch Dogs and GTA. Its not fair for every open world to be compared to GTA. It should nit have to match the feature set of GTA while bring ing its own unique gameplay to the table.

Watch Dogs has its hacking, puzzles and stealth. Sleeping Dogs has its combat, rarity of guns and morality. Saints Row has its sillyness.

These are all games that were compared to GTA at some point but have or tried to find its own distinct flavor of gameplay.
It's stupid that people want to compare everything to GTA and bash games that don't do open world exactly like it. It's like hating all FPS games because they can't be exactly like Call of Duty.

0racle

I don't know why im so off the opinion of what seems to be the majority of people in the gaming world

night time graphics

I hate night scenes, there has yet to be a single one I enjoy . People raved about infamous and its night time graphics....and now this with the night and or night/rain combo.....it sucks !

I find myself forwarding the time of day or just frustrated. I really don't get what the appeal of night time in games is.

Not reputation - notoriety, the points you get from winning the online activities. The points you get from different players seem randomized, but I'm assuming they're dependent upon certain specific parameters.
Online decryption is the worst. I finished a game with 10 kills, 0 deaths and I decrypted the whole file by myself and yet I got less points then all of my team and even a player on the opposite team. It's pretty confusing.

Jedi2016

It's like hating all FPS games because they can't be exactly like Call of Duty.
The market seems to indicate that's exactly what's happening, though. CoD probably sells more than all the other FPSs combined.

On the whole, I do agree. I can't stand CoD, and if I go for an FPS, it's one that breaks out of that mold.

I just don't agree that WD is a great "open world" game. Probably a discussion for another thread. Believe it or not, I don't want to get into an argument, I'm just pointing out why I prefer other games in terms of "open world".

Hawk269

I have very busy and have not played too much of the game other than just farting around in the city hacking NPC's and doing some crimes etc. But in regards to hacking other players and being hacked, can it happen at any time? Right now, it says I have to complete something before I am able to hack other players, but since I have not done whatever mission it wants me to do am I safe from being hacked myself?

Also is there a stat screen that says how many times you have/been hacked?

And for the love of God Ubi Soft, fix your fucking on-line racing modes. It is a fucking slide show at times. I wish they made dedicated servers for the on-line stuff. The peer-to-peer is not cutting it.

So people are hanging out in remote, open edges on the map so that they can easily kill you when you load into their world when you try to hack them online. How pathetic and bored must you be?

malfcn

What the fudge?
I slam my car into a guy holding the file.
Get out of my car and he stands up and guns me down! No dead?

I have very busy and have not played too much of the game other than just farting around in the city hacking NPC's and doing some crimes etc. But in regards to hacking other players and being hacked, can it happen at any time? Right now, it says I have to complete something before I am able to hack other players, but since I have not done whatever mission it wants me to do am I safe from being hacked myself?

Also is there a stat screen that says how many times you have/been hacked?

And for the love of God Ubi Soft, fix your fucking on-line racing modes. It is a fucking slide show at times. I wish they made dedicated servers for the on-line stuff. The peer-to-peer is not cutting it.

Go trough the main story and you (very)soon will be able to invade other players

No stat screen about how many time you have/been hacked, sorry

breakfuss

So people are hanging out in remote, open edges on the map so that they can easily kill you when you load into their world when you try to hack them online. How pathetic and bored must you be?

LMFAO. I wondered if some people were doing that, actually. Like why the hell would you be in the middle of the isolated woods, standing around. Hmmm. I don't want to believe people are that cheap.

Shadownet

Banned
Its so stupid that you and your friend can't join an online decryption together. You can only do private together. But when there's only 2 people and you can't invite strangers. How the hell are you suppose to play?

Online free roam is stupid too. Nothing to do.

Its so stupid that you and your friend can't join an online decryption together. You can only do private together. But when there's only 2 people and you can't invite strangers. How the hell are you suppose to play?

Online free roam is stupid too. Nothing to do.

I can only hope a patch or two fixes these problems.

I've gone from hating the driving to loving it.

On PC, is there any way to permanently turn off online? Every time I boot up, online is re-enabled and it gives me the stupid message every single time.

Top Bottom