• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Andrew.

Banned
This last time I was sneaking up behind a guy and Aiden decided to climb up the truck to the left instead of tackling the guy in front of him.

That isn't the game. And next time consider taking out most guys from a distance with a silenced assault rifle or by hacking. I haven't and I doubt many others here have had the issue you're having on a regular basis.

Andrew.

Banned
Is there no silenced sniper rifle? I can see why if there isn't. Would kind of be a win button scenario.

I don't think so, but there NEEDS to be a silenced shotty

And If you want to go around like Batman and Sam Fisher and silently takedown fools all the time then that's cool, but you get more experience when you headshot someone. (Twice the amount).

There's only like two or three takedown animations anyway. Focus plus headshot is endlessly satisfying.

Vaga

You do realize that you are not supposed to know when someone trails you right ? This is the trailing, not the hacking.

You've been trailed successfully 4 times before that one time, you just don't know about it, that is how the game works....

It seems you get the invasion message when you try to start a mission/contract, I thought you received it at the start like in hacking. It never occured to me that I can be stealth tailed because I found a lot of them not by accident but with the game telling me where they are, circle on radar and shit except this time it was moving as I moved.

KxoZz

For those who have finished the campaign:
whats the deal with "bellwether"? what was that all about in the end? did i miss something?

Is there a good primer for playing this game? I've seen a couple of people here say you shouldn't try to play thing like a GTA game, which I totally get, but it really feels like I'm super limited in my options for pretty much all the side missions I've tried so far (at least, any side mission that isn't a coin run). Just tried a convoy contract and it seems like as soon as the target has line of sight to you it runs, and at that point you have no hope of catching it before you die. I have no way to stop that car short of ramming it--I can't even shoot out the window to try and slow it down that way. I can't get close enough to the car to fuck it up with traffic lights, it never seems to drive past any barriers, and... what else do I even have in my arsenal?

Watch Dogs feels like the opposite of all open-world games in that it feels like it's actively discouraging me from playing anything but the story missions because everything else relies on abilities I don't have.

Afrodium

Banned
That's literally the point of the character, it's his character flaw. It's very intentional. I'm curious about the character growth.

I know that that's the point of his character, but what I'm trying to say is that to me, the revenge he's after is not a compelling enough reason for him to be doing what he's doing. He was a criminal attempting to steal a bunch of money, and because he was involved with crime rings and shady characters, his niece end up dead. In my opinion, Aiden brought this tragedy on himself, and instead of realizing this he just gets more and more invested with the criminal underworld and puts his sister and his nephew in more danger than if he'd just done nothing. There are plenty of revenge stories that have successfully had me rooting for the protagonist, no matter how dirty their hands get. However, this game just doesn't get me to root for Aiden because I feel like he brought this onto himself, making all the deaths of others a result of his desire to blame others for what happened. He's like Kratos to me in this sense, where I just can feel for him because his whole motive involves killing others to get "revenge" for something he is responsible for.

http://m.neogaf.com/member.php?u=49287 said:
Maybe he is a selfish asshole. I guess that's fine with me, I like unconventional characters in games, we need more like that.

I don't have a problem with flawed characters or morally grey ones. My problem is that the game doesn't seem to be self aware enough to ever address the fact that Aiden is doing more harm than good on his revenge quest. The game seems to expect the player to just be along for the ride and agree to do whatever it takes to avenge his niece. Like I said in a previous post, I didn't mind playing as deranged sociopaths in GTA V because the game didn't try to pretend they were anything else, whereas it seems to me that Watch_Dogs doesn't want to player to realize how big of a hypocrite Aiden is.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I haven't even finished the game so maybe I should wait for Aiden's character arc to complete. This is just something that's really stuck out to me about the plot.

owlbeak

Is there a good primer for playing this game? I've seen a couple of people here say you shouldn't try to play thing like a GTA game, which I totally get, but it really feels like I'm super limited in my options for pretty much all the side missions I've tried so far (at least, any side mission that isn't a coin run). Just tried a convoy contract and it seems like as soon as the target has line of sight to you it runs, and at that point you have no hope of catching it before you die. I have no way to stop that car short of ramming it--I can't even shoot out the window to try and slow it down that way. I can't get close enough to the car to fuck it up with traffic lights, it never seems to drive past any barriers, and... what else do I even have in my arsenal?

Watch Dogs feels like the opposite of all open-world games in that it feels like it's actively discouraging me from playing anything but the story missions because everything else relies on abilities I don't have.
You only have to do a handful of story missions before all the skills are available to you. I'm still in Act I and have all abilities available.

As for targets running away from you, shoot them in the leg. While this doesn't cause them to limp and slow down (which is unfortunate), they fall down and you can catch up to them. Also use your hacking to blow up steam pipes or whatever else is nearby. When you get relatively close you can hold the button to dive on them and knock them out with the baton. You can usually do this before the prompt even comes up. When you get close just hold the circle or B button, depending on the system you're on.

You only have to do a handful of story missions before all the skills are available to you. I'm still in Act I and have all abilities available.

As for targets running away from you, shoot them in the leg. While this doesn't cause them to limp and slow down (which is unfortunate), they fall down and you can catch up to them. Also use your hacking to blow up steam pipes or whatever else is nearby. When you get relatively close you can hold the button to dive on them and knock them out with the baton. You can usually do this before the prompt even comes up. When you get close just hold the circle or B button, depending on the system you're on.

If I could kneecap a car, I would. Unfortunately, the one time I tried to ambush one of the convoy cars, it didn't work because I only have an assault rifle and I couldn't headshot the driver through the windshield. I don't even know if that's a thing you can do in this game.

In other words, to hit the driver, first I need to stop the car. I can't even stop the car.

Xenon

That isn't the game. And next time consider taking out most guys from a distance with a silenced assault rifle or by hacking. I haven't and I doubt many others here have had the issue you're having on a regular basis.

I don't want to take out guys from afar because I'm a mother-fucking non leathal ninja ;)

The previous time I was sneaking up on a guy while he was in a fence doorway. I ended up climbing the fence.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I know that that's the point of his character, but what I'm trying to say is that to me, the revenge he's after is not a compelling enough reason for him to be doing what he's doing. He was a criminal attempting to steal a bunch of money, and because he was involved with crime rings and shady characters, his niece end up dead. In my opinion, Aiden brought this tragedy on himself, and instead of realizing this he just gets more and more invested with the criminal underworld and puts his sister and his nephew in more danger than if he'd just done nothing. There are plenty of revenge stories that have successfully had me rooting for the protagonist, no matter how dirty their hands get. However, this game just doesn't get me to root for Aiden because I feel like he brought this onto himself, making all the deaths of others a result of his desire to blame others for what happened. He's like Kratos to me in this sense, where I just can feel for him because his whole motive involves killing others to get "revenge" for something he is responsible for.

I don't have a problem with flawed characters or morally grey ones. My problem is that the game doesn't seem to be self aware enough to ever address the fact that Aiden is doing more harm than good on his revenge quest. The game seems to expect the player to just be along for the ride and agree to do whatever it takes to avenge his niece. Like I said in a previous post, I didn't mind playing as deranged sociopaths in GTA V because the game didn't try to pretend they were anything else, whereas it seems to me that Watch_Dogs doesn't want to player to realize how big of a hypocrite Aiden is.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and I haven't even finished the game so maybe I should wait for Aiden's character arc to complete. This is just something that's really stuck out to me about the plot.
That's the reason his sister complains so much or why
Clara starts to hesistate when he asks her if she's ok with what he's doing
Yes he does bring this stuff onto himself but as he said before,
he's stubborn, so he's compelled to believed that he's always doing the right thing, sure it may not be justified, but the people who he's going after are much worse people than him

Andrew.

Banned
I don't want to take out guys from afar because I'm a mother-fucking non leathal ninja ;)

The previous time I was sneaking up on a guy while he was in a fence doorway. I ended up climbing the fence.

I don't know man the way Aiden beats the shit out of somebody with his baton seems pretty lethal to me.

Dude goes all out in a couple hits. He's a bad man.

SJRB

Gold Member
8yJltib.jpg

2MsrMzK.jpg

F39DrxD.jpg

Atmosphere is so amazing, blows my mind every single time.

owlbeak

If I could kneecap a car, I would. Unfortunately, the one time I tried to ambush one of the convoy cars, it didn't work because I only have an assault rifle and I couldn't headshot the driver through the windshield. I don't even know if that's a thing you can do in this game.

In other words, to hit the driver, first I need to stop the car. I can't even stop the car.
You can headshot drivers. You can also shoot out tires! :) Try using the focus ability, click the right stick and it will slow down time for a bit. Makes life a little easier when trying to hit moving targets. I'd also advise hitting up a gun store and buying some different weapons so you can deal with more varied situations!

Vire

I just stole $200 from a man recently diagnosed with Parkison's.

This game is a 10/10.

I feel awful

Rixxan

This game is much closer to a 9/10 than an 8/10 imo.

Feel like so many people who pick this title up immediately start comparing it to GTA, and those moments where you realize you can't do this or that in the same fashion are immediately filed away as negative.

But once you've been in this world for 5-10 hours you realize it really is something entirely different, and many of those "missing" features you soon realize would add nothing or in many cases even detract from the overall intent of this game program.

Some really special moments with 1v1 multiplayer in conjunction with a serviceable story, varied stealth gameplay, and a phenomenal city. This really is a solid fucking game.

Just think many people, including some review outlets. Never fully disassociated this gameplay experience from GTAs, and that's a shame because in some ways this is legitimately better.

I HATE the chopper. When they are right above you it's almost impossible to hack them.

Stealthing using camera hacks and whatnot is fun.
Gorgeous city and atmosphere. Lots of cool details.
Really solid shooting mechanics. Probably the best I've played in an open world game.
Lots of cool hacks (shutting down city's power, disrupting calls, etc).

Driving SUCKS. Da fuck.
Characters for the most part are boring. Aiden is hard to like. Not enough Jordi in the game. T-Bone could have been awesome but he's just OK. Clara looks like Christy Mack.
The "twist" in the story was extremely underwhelming.

I'd give this game a 7-8/10.

Carbonox

Honest to God - being in central Chicago when it's night time and pissing down with rain is arguably the most atmospheric environment I've been in this gen so far. It's so good and looks phenomenal.

Watch Dogs 2 current-gen only. IMAGINE. hnngnghhhh.

I Jumped out of my seat, it was perfect. Ubisoft has done it again like the skrillex/FC3 moment

I JUST did that mission. Was fucking epic.

Hey guys, new thing, post your completion percentage. How far are you?
BpEW7wZIEAAVOp4.jpg:large

Mine's at 65% I think. I've done all the Fixer contracts, Convoys, etc. too.

This last time I was sneaking up behind a guy and Aiden decided to climb up the truck to the left instead of tackling the guy in front of him.

Give that the key for using a vehicle and the key for tackling someone are different ones, I think you are pretty bad and should stop blaming the game.

Tamanon

Banned
Give that the key for using a vehicle and the key for tackling someone are different ones, I think you are pretty bad and should stop blaming the game.

Climbing on a truck is the same button as takedown. Happened to me once or twice, but that's because I was pressing the wrong direction.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You can headshot drivers. You can also shoot out tires! :) Try using the focus ability, click the right stick and it will slow down time for a bit. Makes life a little easier when trying to hit moving targets. I'd also advise hitting up a gun store and buying some different weapons so you can deal with more varied situations!
Focus is critical when dealing with cars on foot, IMO.

Had a Zen hacking-while-driving moment last night: doing a fixer contract with constant ctOS scan bubbles on the map... the very first scan is about to get me. Hacked a bridge, jumped it, hit focus in the air, hit LB, crafted a bunch of Jam Coms, check the stock market, read a couple front page links on reddit, come out of focus and hit the ground, jam coms all the way to the destination and beat it first try.

So good. Now my first convoy mission on the other hand, that took a look of trying. Being able to craft stuff during focus can save your life in a lot of scenarios btw.

Skyzard

Banned
Imagine if this game had a photo mode like Tearaway with different lenses and filters.

Please UBI. Although Dennis may die.

It's a spy tool come on.

I'd buy so much DLC for this game.

Denton

Shit, I did. That stealth car was too tempting. Damn it.

Did you have uplay cloud saving enabled or disabled when the bug happened ?
I also redeemed the car, I have cloud disabled everywhere for all eternity, so I am wondering if it will happen to me too.

I love how Dennis just keeps posting his amazing downsampled ultra screenshots, not giving a shit.

Carbonox

btw did anyone else get a full on Terminator 2 Cyberdyne scene feeling during the mission where

you have to escape the prison in act 2 I believe and there are a shit ton of cops outside at the top and bottom of the car park? I whipped out the grenade launcher and went to town on them all.

All it lacked was a gatling gun.

I've only completed two story missions, but I've done three gang hideouts. Is there a limit on these, or do they keep spawning? I don't want to blow through them all if it ends up like Far Cry 3 where there is a limited number.

Also, I can't seem to complete any Criminal Convoys playing on Realistic. Maybe I just don't have enough abilities unlocked yet, I should probably do more in campaign first, right?

kazebyaka

Banned
I've only completed two story missions, but I've done three gang hideouts. Is there a limit on these, or do they keep spawning? I don't want to blow through them all if it ends up like Far Cry 3 where there is a limited number.

Also, I can't seem to complete any Criminal Convoys playing on Realistic. Maybe I just don't have enough abilities unlocked yet, I should probably do more in campaign first, right?

1. yep, they are limited, see your progress screen to see how many of them you have left
2. yep, I'd say play at least the whole first act to get all abilities before doing anything in the world.

Morts

I just did the Spider Tank Digital Trip for the first time and it's the best thing in the game (so far). Game needs more spider tank.

Top Bottom