• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

The biggest plot hole:

Modern smartphones have capacitive touchscreens, which require skin contact to function.

All of Aiden's outfits have gloves. It is impossible for him to hack things using his phone.

Preorder cancelled.

You can buy gloves that work with touch screens. They've been around for years. I have a pair.

Uncancel.

malfcn

I had a mission in act 3 glitch. Fixed it by quiting the game to the dashboard and restarting it. Might work for you. Im on Xbox One but that trick also works for PS4 i think

I'll try. Because I'm standing next to a train and nothing happens.

Thankfully the doors were open this time.

ttech10

Dosen't really matter even if it wasn't - Money does not really have a point in this game. Soon you will have so much of it, you will have no idea what to do with it. Perhaps in the sequel they could introduce a property system or a system like AC2 where you upgrade the town for additional benefits and act as a money sink.

Too true. I have all the weapons, cars and outfits and still have $700,000 without even trying to hack people on the streets. Though I have done about 45 fixer missions, with some paying out $20k-$30k each.

Jedi2016

Dosen't really matter even if it wasn't - Money does not really have a point in this game. Soon you will have so much of it, you will have no idea what to do with it. Perhaps in the sequel they could introduce a property system or a system like AC2 where you upgrade the town for additional benefits and act as a money sink.
Yeah, when I first went clothes shopping, I only had a couple grand on me. Stepped outside for about five minutes, walked back in and bought everything I wanted. Ridiculously easy. Find a busy spot downtown and hack a camera, then you don't even have to move, just look around and hack thousands off all the people that walk by. Some better economic system would definitely work for the sequel. What's the point of even having money in the game if you never really need it?

Too true. I have all the weapons, cars and outfits and still have $700,000 without even trying to hack people on the streets. Though I have done about 45 fixer missions, with some paying out $20k-$30k each.

Yeah, when I first went clothes shopping, I only had a couple grand on me. Stepped outside for about five minutes, walked back in and bought everything I wanted. Ridiculously easy. Find a busy spot downtown and hack a camera, then you don't even have to move, just look around and hack thousands off all the people that walk by. Some better economic system would definitely work for the sequel. What's the point of even having money in the game if you never really need it?

Its more about just making sure that there are sufficent money sinks both during gameplay and after. Make sure that some weapons would remain out of reach till late game, ditto with good cars in the on demand car service and also have something like an apartment (like GTA) where there are massive money sinks in customizing your apartment that friends can come over to.

Lima

Its more about just making sure that there are sufficent money sinks both during gameplay and after. Make sure that some weapons would remain out of reach till late game, ditto with good cars in the on demand car service and also have something like an apartment (like GTA) where there are massive money sinks in customizing your apartment that friends can come over to.

No no no.

Fuck this late unlock game bullshit. I was the fucking king right from the beginning in this game.

fernoca

Waiting for the PS4 version to finish installation. Was disappointed that the "first 5GB you could play", was like 2-3 minutes of the game and then you're greeted with a "Installing" message and only option is to quit. :/

But liked what I played and looked quite nice too. Way better than expected after all the talk about downgrade and 900p.

Lima

Waiting for the PS4 version to finish installation. Was disappointed that the "first 5GB you could play", was like 2-3 minutes of the game and then you're greeted with a "Installing" message and only option is to quit. :/

But liked what I played and looked quite nice too. Way better than expected after all the talk about downgrade and 900p.

It's an open world game. I didn't know what you expected. This play as you download thing is not some wizard tech.

Jedi2016

Can you only have one gun of a certain type at a time?

How do I switch my Goblin for an AK-47?
When you bring up the weapon wheel, select which type you want and then left/right on the d-pad (or is it the left stick?) to change the weapon that's in that slot.

fernoca

It's an open world game. I didn't know what you expected. This play as you download thing is not some wizard tech.
I know. But at least like other games when there's a notification of how much you can play or a message, or even a simple screen fading to black or somethig more subtle..but no, you're on the stadium and as you're playing the game it just stops. Why not stop it earlier after "the blackout" and a "hey, wait untill the game is finished installing to continue playing". :p

HelloMeow

When you bring up the weapon wheel, select which type you want and then left/right on the d-pad (or is it the left stick?) to change the weapon that's in that slot.

I think you can also use the right bumper to scroll through the list of the selected weapon type.

ttech10

I always thought it would be cool in GTA to own an apartment and then at random times be able to invest X amount of money to buy up an adjoining apartment then factor in the price for conversion/renovation/etc. That would work in a city like Chicago, though I don't know if it would really fit Pierce's story.

They could have at least offered various weapon customizations. That kind of thing would definitely fit the story and with all the guns in the game that would have been a huge money investment.

I don't really like the idea of putting stuff only accessible late game. Maybe put in a system where early on you can only access some items (vehicles, weapons) from a shady seller who has jacked up prices, then as you progress through the game that stuff is available at a normal price from reputable sellers.

Andrew.

Banned
The way the Chrome sounds when it's fired in Focus makes my nuts tingle.

And Ubi always makes really satisfying grenade launchers

David___

Banned
I love the chases in this game.

A little bit ago I interveined in a crime and while we were in a chase in a back-ally, the criminal shot an exploding canister which made me stagger and he tried to get away in a car.

GulAtiCa

ZN9jY.jpeg
Excuse the bad Twitter compression.. I just found it funny driving a motorcycle on top of a moving train. haha

Also, found out recently what happens when an invader tries to attack you, they get kicked and automatically lose and you win/etc. Guy was an idiot too. Was basically 2 seconds away from him escaping with that countdown going.

So note to self: Don't launch grenades at hosts anymore!

The driving feels like a PS2 game and when you hit a telephone poll or other similar objects, it breaks into a bunch of equal sized pieces when it hits the ground. What are these things made of?

If a game has driving in it, they could've at least made it enjoyable. The cars don't follow the rules of physics... you stay in the air at the same exact angle you left the jump at until you hit the ground and other cars just bounce off of you. Also, your car takes damage like a TANK.

I guess I was just spoiled by GTA V too much. My expectations were "next-gen" and I got "barely last gen" instead.

I just got fucked up by a guy on mobile. Up until that point I thought the mobile player was at a big disadvantage. Had to send him a message of congratulations on PSN.

Edit: I was on the last checkpoint but already had to switch cars twice from him damaging them.

foxdvd

Just finished the game. I honestly was blown away by it. I have seen a lot of mixed feelings on the game, but I honestly feel it is the best game I have played in a long time. I love open world games, but I must confess that I have found the GTA games to be overrated until GTA 5. I also found the recent Infamous to be a letdown.

What I loved about this game.

No game has ever felt so alive. The npc in the game made it feel like a real city (even if you start to see patterns after a while)

The main story missions were fantastic for the most part. They did a great job mixing up the pace so that you did not feel like you were doing the same mission over and over (like the Assassins Creeds games do from time to time even if they are great games)

So many side missions and many of them are actually fun! Gang Hideouts being the highlight.

Controls, driving and combat all felt solid. I loved the stealth combat hybrid missions. Taking over Gang hideouts like you did in Far Cry 3 (with a bit of the recent batman games mixed in) never got old.

What I did not like about the game.

The forced online aspect. I understand they want to have a strong online community, but my god they went to far. I did have fun hacking peoples games, but when I wanted to start actually enjoying my game I got tired of constantly being invaded. It got so bad I turned off the option to allow them to invade, even though I lost my rewards. Even then I got a pop up every 5 minutes telling me I should try an online game. WAY to much guys....

A couple of the later missions felt like they ran out of ideas and just threw everything they could at you and asked you to sort of "cheat" to beat them...

The fact you had to listen to story phone calls when you loaded a game, and could not skip them...even if you had already heard them...

Overall the game is a 9-9.5 out of 10 for me...and just for fun factor alone I would give it a 10. Truly I was shocked by how much I enjoyed the game, even with a few glitches and quirks.

Xyber

I just got fucked up by a guy on mobile. Up until that point I thought the mobile player was at a big disadvantage. Had to send him a message of congratulations on PSN.

Edit: I was on the last checkpoint but already had to switch cars twice from him damaging them.

It really depends on what route you get. I was on my phone earlier and did one where I could barely activate anything but traffic lights. You can get some pretty good upgrades if you play quite a bit though.

Game desperately needs weapon customization. Give me a decent selection of pistols and don't let me put silencers on them? That is tantamount to kicking me in the balls, Ubisoft. Not cool.

GulAtiCa

Is it just me, or is money kinda useless in this game? I have like $300k+ plus and already spent $100k+ already.. The real currency in this game seems to be those hacks you get off certain people. Now that is actually useful.

A plea to open world mission designers: For the love of everything sacred, stop making the vehicle I started with fucking disappear after a mission checkpoint.

I brought a fast bike to make a quick escape, and when *surprise surprise* I needed to escape, POOF, its nowhere to be found. Instead there was an assortment of shit handling muscle cars.

What is it with sandbox game missions being designed in such a way as to dismantle what makes these game worlds so great to begin with? And why grant players abilities that can only be used outside of a mission? Why not structure missions so that the player can choose how to approach them?

I keep having these problems with Watch Dogs. Either I take everybody down stealthily and have it make not one bit of difference to the outcome (because reinforcements arrive anyway, or I have to chase somebody down after I've killed everybody), or I examine guard positions through the camera only to have them change as soon as I move up a bit (making the whole camera recon element moot), or else I see a completely empty area through the camera that magically spawns enemies as soon as I get closer, or else my getaway car disappears, or else the mission assumes I took one path where the designer hand placed a motorcycle for this cinematic race along the waterside when I actually took another path where there was no such thing. Even better, I just did a mission where I was tailing an enemy vehicle causing so much property destruction that cops were en route to pursue - I ended up separated from the enemy vehicle by the highway divider, but I could still see it, and saw how empty that side of the highway was when the police arrived, all dead set on taking ME down, again, for the crime of being the player I guess.

I understand the need - and even the desire - to have structured missions, but why is it so rare to find ones that put the open world to full use? That understand the sandbox and don't place blatant artificial limitations or otherwise violate the emergent systems the game world runs on?

If you can't design open world missions that take advantage of an open world then you're actually providing your players the worst of all worlds - a linear mission in an open world where your approach doesn't matter and nothing persists beyond the next checkpoint.

malfcn

I like the cover system, but it's too simple sometimes. Got caught because I kept getting sucked backed into a wall instead of cornering out running away.

DukeBobby

I think I might turn off invasions. I'm growing tired of the game, and I want to power through to the end without any interruptions.

The game's not bad or anything, I'm just not having a whole lot of fun with it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really love Clara, she's awesome. And the slight French accent suits her well.

The biggest plot hole:

Modern smartphones have capacitive touchscreens, which require skin contact to function.

All of Aiden's outfits have gloves. It is impossible for him to hack things using his phone.

Preorder cancelled.

The original outfit has his fingers free.

Also
first post :D

First post fail :D

I really love Clara, she's awesome. And the slight French accent suits her well.

Canadian French accent.

On a different note, I've been hanging out in Pawnee and I'm in the mood for a small town camping type of movie, something similar to What About Bob?

Anyone have any recommendations?

Lemondish

So I was wondering something...

In one of the E3 videos Ubi showed, there was a gameplay scene where, upon helping a friend sneak out of a building, you were ambushed in the street. There was a firefight and then you had to run from the cops. A few features were shown, like how someone with the mobile app can come up your aid, but during that part you end up being held up by a couple of cops. The player then triggers a blackout.

My limited playtime has only showed me that the cops in watch dogs do the same thing that cops in every open world game do: shoot on sight. Do the cops ever try to capture you alive like they did in that gameplay snippet?

I haven't played very far at all, and I'd play more to find out myself, but Wildstar has turned into an obsession for me.

Lucent

Aiden'd up my avatar. Didn't spend as much time on it as I could have but whatever. Probably stick with this until The Evil Within nears release. lol.

Tamanon

Banned
So I was wondering something...

In one of the E3 videos Ubi showed, there was a gameplay scene where, upon helping a friend sneak out of a building, you were ambushed in the street. There was a firefight and then you had to run from the cops. A few features were shown, like how someone with the mobile app can come up your aid, but during that part you end up being held up by a couple of cops. The player then triggers a blackout.

My limited playtime has only showed me that the cops in watch dogs do the same thing that cops in every open world game do: shoot on sight. Do the cops ever try to capture you alive like they did in that gameplay snippet?

I haven't played very far at all, and I'd play more to find out myself, but Wildstar has turned into an obsession for me.

As long as you don't run or pull out your gun, they will arrest you.

I certainly hope mild fanboyism is okay in this thread because the sidequests have added so much to the game that I haven't been able to finish Act 1. Chess, poker, gang hideouts? I'd give this game two thumbs up.

Top Bottom