• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
VBkNpN9.jpg
"Harvey Dent...can he be trusted?"

Joeki11a

Banned
Yooo the game got intense after the limp legged friends fiasco, had some great moments in that mission to save the....

Wow and now seeing the badboy part to amazing, great pacing because before all that it was some boring orange jump suit afair.

malfcn

How does the game determine if they are aware? I wasn't profile and hoped in and out and got penalized. Normally you can quit with no loss.

I just completed the mission
Not the pizza guy
, can someone explain to me what is happening in the story at this point? I am already confused :(.

painey

oh my god, the story missions are so bad. it's 2014, theres no excuse for "game over if spotted" missions suddenly happening in a game like this, let alone not telling you it will happen after you've played hours of it playing normally.

What I really love about the game is the randomness of the side quests. You can be walking and all of a sudden there's a crime going on, or a Gang Hideout or something like that. Also, the NPC conversations can be quite hilarious. Overall, I am VERY impressed with the game. And last but not least, the online hacking ROCKS! Even though I've only been able to successfully perform an escape and hack another player ONCE, the tension it provides is off the charts.

Between this and MK8, Im set for quite some time!

Xyber

Ugh!

Had a glitch where a character in a cutscene was in the wrong place (pretty scary) and the game froze, now I can't load my save. Completely broken, fuck this game. I am NOT starting all over again.

http://gameclipscontent-d3003.xboxl..._=1401685632_4712c49063336808517c73a4480f12b9

Here is the cutscene that led to the bug.

I'm officially out.

EDIT: Damnit, it froze my whole Xbox...

And this is the main reason why most games don't use in-engine cutscenes and we get horribly compressed video. :(

Speaking of game breaking bugs, I was doing a mission with T-bone where the scripting broke halfway through. I need to "regroup" with him but no matter what I did the game didn't recognize that I was next to him and it wouldn't continue. Restarted the checkpoint 4 times with the same result. =/ Gonna redo the mission tomorrow.

sjay1994

I just completed the mission
Not the pizza guy
, can someone explain to me what is happening in the story at this point? I am already confused :(.

Jordi didn't kill the guy he stabbed at the baseball stadium. He was arrested.Some guys want to transfer him so he can identify Aiden. That mission was you finding out when the prisoner transfer was happening.

sjay1994

And this is the main reason why most games don't use in-engine cutscenes and we get horribly compressed video. :(

Speaking of game breaking bugs, I was doing a mission with T-bone where the scripting broke halfway through. I need to "regroup" with him but no matter what I did the game didn't recognize that I was next to him and it wouldn't continue. Restarted the checkpoint 4 times with the same result. =/ Gonna redo the mission tomorrow.

I had the same glitch today. Turn your console off and on.

It fixes it.

sjay1994

The fact that absolutely none of the licensed songs used in the games trailers are not even in the game is the thing that really upsets me.

Jordi didn't kill the guy he stabbed at the baseball stadium. He was arrested.Some guys want to transfer him so he can identify Aiden. That mission was you finding out when the prisoner transfer was happening.
what do you mean "transfer him". Is a prison transfer suppose to happen and these guys want to intercept him and want him to id aiden?

Yasae

Banned
I think the bike feels like HeadHunter... Remember that open world game?
Vaguely. I remember the bike skating over pavement rather than turning on it.

But what about the other 98% of the vehicles? People keep saying the driving is terrible but they give no basis for comparison.
oh btw the car horns sounds horrible
That it does. Awful looping for the horns and quite a few of the car engines.

Dead

well not really...yet
The driving is fine, the complaints about it make no sense to me. All the cars handle differently, if anything I'd say it's a step above GTA 4 and 5, more realistic than Saints Row while still being fun. GTA 4 would be my pick for truly awful car handling.

Also the Motorcycle handling is fucking awesome.

TTG

So, I've been quiet with my impressions because, hey, there's probably a torrent of negativity for the game right now. But, these are back to back missions where the script clashes with any sense of player involvement in how the game is played. MINOR act 2 spoilers:

First you have to steal some dude's invitation to a thing, stop me if you've heard this scenario in a videogame before. In a conversation prior to this Aiden gives the impression to his "partner" that he may just be willing to kill for it. So, I show up at the car dealer, induce a blackout, knock the guy out and steal invitation and car both to get out of there. Sure enough, the call to Clara that follows has her choking back some ambivalent reactions to my having to kill this clearly evil guy... except of course I did no such thing.

Fast forward an hour and Aiden is busy rescuing someone from a mob owned establishment of some sort, the mob don't even know he's in the building but he's stuck, so hey. I walk into the restricted area only to be greeted by an "eliminate all enemies" objective. First of its kind in the whole game as far as I know, now I have to kill two dozen random bad guys before it will let me unlock the door(that's including the scripted back up the unwitting mobsters have to call for after a death tornado hits them for no apparent reason). Why the forced restriction? I've been getting through on stealth the majority of the game so far and would have kept on trucking along... but of course, after clearing every one out and opening the door I find my precious, innocent, pure ward staring at the carnage through some security cameras. Oh no cousin! I'm no monster! It's just the door wouldn't open unless I killed every single last one of them.

We've just slid all the way off the rails and into clown car status. That was a downgrade from "oh, videogames" exasperation level after noting that project housings in Chicago were guarded by SNIPER FIRE and all other hackers in the city were foiled by a short swim and hike to activate a fucking bat cave type installation. I wonder what's next.

Sojgat

The driving is fine, the complaints about it make no sense to me. All the cars handle differently, if anything I'd say it's a step above GTA 4 and 5, more realistic than Saints Row while still being fun. GTA 4 would be my pick for truly awful car handling.

People who think the driving is bad probably aren't ever using the handbrake.

hydruxo

It took an hour to get used to for me but now I actually really like the driving. I never thought it was bad, just more arcadey than I'm usually used to. The motorcycles were awesome from the get-go though.

oh my god, the story missions are so bad. it's 2014, theres no excuse for "game over if spotted" missions suddenly happening in a game like this, let alone not telling you it will happen after you've played hours of it playing normally.
Every Ubisoftism and every element of bad open world design is to be found here in some shape or form. Hell, it feels loaded to the brim with random cutting room floor bits from other games. They're all tossed in an open world blender, and I guess the hope is that other players and random open world chaos can elevate it to beyond the sum of its parts.

The motorcycles were awesome from the get-go though.
Just as I'd suggest anybody not feeling Oblivion or Skyrim to play archer thieves because those games are made for it, I'd suggest Watch_Dog players not feeling the driving to get their ass a motorcycle, stat. They're fast, they handle better than anything else in the game, they'll let you go just about anywhere you would go in a car or on foot, let you speed by any traffic congestion, and its hilariously fun to find ways to your next objective without taking the main roads. Just get used to everybody within 30 yards freaking the fuck out of their minds if you so much as go more that 2 mph in the thing. Seriously, everybody, everywhere will freak, at all times.

Every Ubisoftism and every element of bad open world design is to be found here in some shape or form. Hell, it feels loaded to the brim with random cutting room floor bits from other games. They're all tossed in an open world blender, and I guess the hope is that other players and random open world chaos can elevate it to beyond the sum of its parts.

I really like most of the story missions. I HATE the tailing missions tho. In act 2 I have played a couple of tailing missions that I had to do 5-6 times and learn the patterns to get through them. Tailing someone through a gauntlet of guards is absolutely ridiculous.

Beaulieu

U guys are trippin, the tailing missions are so much fun in this, way better than in AC. Especially since you can use the cameras to do the tailling 90% of the time.

Slight spoiler for mid act II :
Anyone managed to help rabbit escape ? I was almost there but he got detecter.... wonder if the story changes if you succeed...

Tailing someone through a gauntlet of guards is absolutely ridiculous.
If those are the ones I'm thinking of, you can always
either drive *around* any obstacles as long as you can reacquire a visual soon enough - so you can easily drive on the next block over, or if on foot, you might not need to physically move up at all but use the cameras instead, switching from one to the next as your target moves.

Those are the two tactics I've used and they've worked so far. I've actually enjoyed the tailing missions, except for one that didn't really allow for any improvisation or prep. Those are the moments that keep bugging me.

Anyone managed to help rabbit escape ? I was almost there but he got detecter.... wonder if the story changes if you succeed...
Yeah, but it took a few tries, mostly because
the guard patterns change as you move rabbit up from point to point, which was infuriating. The very last guard is damn thorough so you have to be ready to keep moving when you get to him.

The net effect is the same.
If he gets caught your objective changes to take his phone and find out where they are trying to kill Bedbug. If he lives he just tells you.

Toki767

Just finished the game. I thought it was good for the most part. Not great or anything. It just felt like a standard Ubisoft open world game I guess. I did think the campaign missions improved after Act 1 and 2 though. From Act 3 onward it didn't feel like it dragged as much.

malfcn

Couple of things.

If the risk / reward looks good it will fail to load.
Stop spawning me in their view or in a car next to them. I'm being instantly profiled.

jwtsonga

My god this game is so addictive. Played 5 hours already (PS3). Love all the side objectives, and the 'busy-ness' of the world!!! Graphics are decent on PS3 (similar to GTA V levels); the game really shines during rain though.

In terms of graphics/performance how do the PS3/Xbox 360 versions hold up? I am really intrigued by Watch Dogs but I am not sure if the Xbox 360 version is too watered down to pay $60.

I am playing on ps3, and it is the same game, just with lesser graphics. It can still look quite pretty for a ps3 game at certain times of day/weather. Easily worth the $60 I paid for it!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
That's one of the small things that actually really bothers me. For the amount of takedowns the average player will do throughout the course of the game, just having a couple variations is pretty sad. It should be satisfying, but becomes repetitive and predictable almost immediately.

People should definitely try some takedowns after they've alerted the enemy and have their guns out. There's a lot more variety in the takedowns where Aiden uses a gun than in the ones where he's just using the baton.

U guys are trippin, the tailing missions are so much fun in this, way better than in AC. Especially since you can use the cameras to do the tailling 90% of the time.

If those are the ones I'm thinking of, you can always
either drive *around* any obstacles as long as you can reacquire a visual soon enough - so you can easily drive on the next block over, or if on foot, you might not need to physically move up at all but use the cameras instead, switching from one to the next as your target moves.

Those are the two tactics I've used and they've worked so far. I've actually enjoyed the tailing missions, except for one that didn't really allow for any improvisation or prep. Those are the moments that keep bugging me.

Yeah, but it took a few tries, mostly because
the guard patterns change as you move rabbit up from point to point, which was infuriating. The very last guard is damn thorough so you have to be ready to keep moving when you get to him.

I like the camera missions, the one I am talking about is before the rabbit mission I think. It is
when you have to follow the brief case as it is exchanged multiple times before tailing the boat. Now that I think about it, there probably were cameras that would have made it easier.

I do love any mission that i can use the cameras on. Sometimes my old GTA and AC habits kick in and I think I have to physically tail them.

I don't mean to sound negative either, I just hate trial and error missions. This game is my favorite ps4 game currently.

Jhn

Couple of things.

Stop spawning me in their view or in a car next to them. I'm being instantly profiled.

Three times now I have spawned on a highway, on a bike, 100m from the target while he is barreling straight towards me in the wrong lane. Yeah, thanks game.

Okay, I think I'm finally starting to like this game. I like playing it as a stealth game, using hacking, silent takedowns and scoped pistols when necessary

red731

Yo, Protip - kill everything using everything environmental on a mission, get to checkpoint, get killed, use everything again
KuGsj.gif

Couple of things.

Three times now I have spawned on a highway, on a bike, 100m from the target while he is barreling straight towards me in the wrong lane. Yeah, thanks game.

I spawned less than 50 meters from my target yesterday, in the middle of a crosswalk with the target directly facing me. I was profiled and shot dead within 8-10 seconds of invasion.

Sojgat

People should definitely try some takedowns after they've alerted the enemy and have their guns out. There's a lot more variety in the takedowns where Aiden uses a gun than in the ones where he's just using the baton.

Wish it wasn't random. They should have handled it like Splinter Cell: Conviction.

No weapon equipped - Non-lethal takedown.
Weapon equipped - Lethal takedown where the equipped weapon is always used in the animation.

Izuna

Banned

It just annoys me so much that this could even happen. I have reloaded everything and it still isn't fixed. I enjoyed doing the side missions but I felt like I was restricted to focusing on the main missions first.

It also seems lime direct links to the clips break after some time

http://xboxclips.com/video.php?uid=...zuna&vid=830e50c4-97d3-410a-baa4-f411fa81b0fc

xboxclips really has found a way to index the Upload servers, quite cool, especially since all clips seem to upload MUCH faster than they do when uploading otherwise

ttech10

So, I've been quiet with my impressions because, hey, there's probably a torrent of negativity for the game right now. But, these are back to back missions where the script clashes with any sense of player involvement in how the game is played. MINOR act 2 spoilers:

First you have to steal some dude's invitation to a thing, stop me if you've heard this scenario in a videogame before. In a conversation prior to this Aiden gives the impression to his "partner" that he may just be willing to kill for it. So, I show up at the car dealer, induce a blackout, knock the guy out and steal invitation and car both to get out of there. Sure enough, the call to Clara that follows has her choking back some ambivalent reactions to my having to kill this clearly evil guy... except of course I did no such thing.

Fast forward an hour and Aiden is busy rescuing someone from a mob owned establishment of some sort, the mob don't even know he's in the building but he's stuck, so hey. I walk into the restricted area only to be greeted by an "eliminate all enemies" objective. First of its kind in the whole game as far as I know, now I have to kill two dozen random bad guys before it will let me unlock the door(that's including the scripted back up the unwitting mobsters have to call for after a death tornado hits them for no apparent reason). Why the forced restriction? I've been getting through on stealth the majority of the game so far and would have kept on trucking along... but of course, after clearing every one out and opening the door I find my precious, innocent, pure ward staring at the carnage through some security cameras. Oh no cousin! I'm no monster! It's just the door wouldn't open unless I killed every single last one of them.

We've just slid all the way off the rails and into clown car status. That was a downgrade from "oh, videogames" exasperation level after noting that project housings in Chicago were guarded by SNIPER FIRE and all other hackers in the city were foiled by a short swim and hike to activate a fucking bat cave type installation. I wonder what's next.

As far as I remember,
you didn't have to kill them, just take them down. That's what I did to almost all of them. What Aiden does at the end of that mission tells you why you had to at least knock out them all.

Do more investigations appear as u progress through the game...I have done all side content possible in my game. I am still in Act 1 though, so I am hoping they just unlock later and my game isnt glitched

cripterion

Just finished the game, was a great ride, did all the missions but some escorts, fixer and the suitcases.
They could trim some fat like so many useless weapons (I mostly rolled with the silencer), that instant car feature (I never used it, you can take any car from the moment you start the game).

Really looking forward to the second installment. Will grab SP DLC too, really enjoyed the story missions.

Top Bottom