• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

KorrZ

I have to admit I found this game pretty boring at first but as I'm playing it more I'm really starting to enjoy it.

I love the open ended approach to the missions, where I can stealth in and shoot everyone in the head with my silenced pistol, or kill everyone via cameras from outside the building a mile away. Or a combination of both, or just fuck it and kill everyone guns blazing.

It's really refreshing, and all of mini games and side things to do are surprisingly fun - is there any point to completing any of the digital trips/city games though? I got pretty far in Spider Tank and the shoot aliens city game but not sure if there's a point to keep playing or if it's just for fun.

I pointed at his foot and pulled the trigger *shrug*. I think you're trying too hard to make this a bigger problem than it actually is.

I did the same thing. Wanted to hurt him but not kill him.

If you're aiming for the head then it's not the games problem.

Symax

Watch_Dogs review by Kotaku

Verdict: Should you play this game?
No

Verdict: Should I read Kotaku?
No
"Women and black characters are treated with thoughtless disdain"

I...what? Unless these some blatantly sexist/racist side mission that I missed, what the hell are they going on about?
Well every woman in this game was basically just a plot device. The whole point of their involvement in the story was to justify aidens motivations. Let's be fair, though. Aiden was also a badly written character. There was no character development or self-awareness on his side.

I think the story is bad on purpose. Ubisoft wanted to create the perfect power fantasy for their main target audience. I blame the suits and focus groups.

Joeki11a

Banned
Does reputation matter...alters ending?
my nephew was home alone playing this
like a GTA fanatic causing chaos, now Aiden
Is on Anarchist" status?, does it matter?.

I see some news reports sometimes acknowledging the RED rep.

Llyrwenne

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the campaign, and damn, the story really doesn't make sense at all.

From the very start of the game, there's news reports about you being under suspicion of being the Vigilante. When you walk down the street, people often refer to you as 'the vigilante' or 'that guy on the news'. Civilians witness Aiden stopping crimes and / or killing people every day. Lucky ordered a hit on Pearce and thus knows who he is, yet when he first meets him in person he somehow doesn't recognize him. You infiltrate a prison, yet the police don't actually appear to make any effort of investigating who you are and apparently don't recognize you as Aiden Pierce and just throw you into jail. What are you going to do in jail? Intimidate some guy who may or may not have seen your face, because you are afraid he will give away your identity. Then you burst out of prison with a ton of corrupt cops having seen your face. When you 'infiltrate' Lucky's auction, somehow nobody recognizes you as Aiden despite being all over the news, and then even fucking Lucky, who ORDERED THE HIT ON YOU, STARED YOU IN THE FACE JUST A FEW MISSIONS AGO and MUST HAVE WATCHED THE NEWS SOMETIME IN EVER again doesn't recognize you until he is told via his phone that you are Aiden and not the guy HE INVITED. Then there is the stupid 'twist' where Damien 'reveals' your identity as the vigilante to the public and it's suddenly a huge deal.

Add to that the massively underutilized cast of characters around Aiden, all of the forced 'aww, this is so sad'-moments and the 'gritty' and super-forced 'I am no different from them'/Batman-stuff and the story is just a complete mess. The characters all had potential (except for Aiden, his sister and Jacks, who were only there to respectively be depressed hacker Batman, nagging kidnapped girl and 'aww-he-just-a-kid'), but they just had so little screen time and the twists with both Clara and Jordi just didn't have the intended impact. And how the fuck is that ctOS woman somehow in the running for mayor after all of the shit Aiden leaked about her and the clear and evident TOTAL FAILURE of ctOS?

It just makes no sense.

And why don't the cops ever show up to stop a crime? The ctOS was made so that they could predict crimes and act accordingly, but they just let the town go to shit and actually never ever do anything about the crimes detected by ctOS.

The only great thing story-wise were the burner phones left by Maurice.

I'll be cleaning up some of the collectibles and play some online. Haven't tried anything beyond online hacking yet.

Lizardus

Verdict: Should I read Kotaku?
No

Well every woman in this game was basically just a plot device. The whole point of their involvement in the story was to justify aidens motivations. Let's be fair, though. Aiden was also a badly written character. There was no character development or self-awareness on his side.

I think the story is bad on purpose. Ubisoft wanted to create the perfect power fantasy for their main target audience. I blame the suits and focus groups.

Aren't all characters besides Aiden basically plot devices?

And the same target audience also bought Sleeping Dogs, San Andreas, 1/3 of GTA5 and GTA 4 where we played as an American White male right?

Exile20

The launch of Watch Dogs on consoles and PC was accompanied by the release of a free companion app, ctOS Mobile. The app allows gamers to connect with the Watch Dogs universe from anywhere, at any time, and is designed to enable revolutionary dual-screen gameplay, or even to be enjoyed as a standalone experience without the main game. ctOS Mobile has already been downloaded and played by more than one million people**. Watch Dogs will also be released on the Wii U™ system from Nintendo in Fall 2014.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seeing some pretty odd issues online. Are there exploits or something?

-Playing SP and randomly some car starts ramming me. Then the driver gets out and proceeds to slaughter dozens of NPCs. I'm thinking it's some crazy glitch until he turns on me. I run him over and out of nowhere start to get notoriety points. Thing is, absolutely 0 alerts/indications that I was being hacked...
You are not notified of an invasion until certain things occur. The situation you've described is 100% possible, but the invader just made it easy on you to get points for some reason (you're never supposed to just go after the target like that).
-Apparently you can just kill yourself and be auto-teleported to another random section of the city far, far away from your hacker. Seen this done countless times when tailing someone. Only once did it give me an option to quick-travel to the person I was tailing, in which they just grenaded themselves and were taken far away, in which no quick-travel was provided.
If you get 1000m away from the target, you get the fast travel option and it puts you within 200m or so of them. You can use this to your advantage if you're far away.
-I was being tailed and the purple circle was randomly appearing and disappearing all over the map, making it impossible to track the hacker. Is this a skill? Once the circle finally settled and I got to it, about two dozen cars fall from the sky and trap me, making it impossible to find the hacker.
I dunno about this one really. Once the hacker starts either observing or installing the backdoor, the circle should remain stable... and the cars falling from the sky,...?
-Just pull the ethernet cable and you won't lose nortoritey.
Don't do that.

No
good clickbait on their part I guess... I mean, I read it. Embarrassing review :( The racism/sexism/issues stuff just sort of made me cringe to read, but I think you'd actually be poorly served trying to get a legitimate "is it good or not?" out of the text of this review.
Does it have any valid criticisms aside from the HURT FEELINGS stuff?
Indeed, but they are tucked in there amid weirdly personal comparisons and offenses, alongside some pretty misleading complaints. Actually the apparent thesis seems to apply a little more to the review than the game:
Watch Dogs makes you get down on your hands and knees and spend hours sifting through the rubbish to find the best bits.
That's crazy to me since as soon as I'd been giving free reign and unlocked multiplayer, I knew I was in some "best bits" already, and I'd barely started playing. But then again I didn't think twice about the Maurice thing, which "started her off on the wrong foot" with the game.
I aimed for the knee and went, "oh ok, cool" after pulling the trigger.

That's crazy to me since as soon as I'd been giving free reign and unlocked multiplayer, I knew I was in some "best bits" already, and I'd barely started playing. But then again I didn't think twice about the Maurice thing, which "started her off on the wrong foot" with the game.
I aimed for the knee and went, "oh ok, cool" after pulling the trigger.

Right!? The reviewer needs to get off his high horse and abandon what ever agenda he is on. How about actually reviewing the game with some objectivity.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
I like this game, but it definitely has its flaws. A couple of little things i HATE are :

-How everyone in the city recognizes you as the vigilante. They get out their phones and take pictures of me and I think, WTF is going on here right now! Why is it that some random dudes will recognize you (and from what? news reports? videos?) BUT THE DAMN COPS CAN'T SEEM TO DO THE SAME?

-I think the morality bar thing of this game is completely fucked. Takes forever to get the meter up to good guy status through missions that get very repetitive and boring. If you want to go and run away from cops, you have to try your damned hardest to make sure and NOT hit the idiots that walk right in the way of your speeding car (while i am laying on the horn mind you). If you do hit them, you lose a good amount of karma from it. I hated this in Infamous too, please stop with the morality bar shit devs!

- The music in this game is handled poorly. While I love the ability to play music on the phone via an app while on foot, the fact that the radio stations aren't really stations and have no DJ's or commercials, makes the world seem a little less real. Not to mention when I am driving in the cars and have no music playing then out of no where a damn interview with someone will play or a "news" report comes through. It makes no sense and pulls me out of the immersion of the world. As it stands now, i just wait for the game to initiate the theme music when doing missions and such, thus never hearing or even caring to search for the other songs you get from hacking.

I will finish the game though..

luxarific

Nork unification denier
You are not notified of an invasion until certain things occur.

If you get 1000m away from the target, you get the fast travel option and it puts you within 200m or so of them. You can use this to your advantage if you're far away.

Man, the mp in this game is so confusing. Do we know the conditions when a target will finally be notified that their game is being invaded? I honestly thought that a target would be notified immediately upon invasion.

Thanks for the tips - had zero idea there was a fast travel option. I assume that this only works if they are not aware of the invasion. If they have been notified and you haven't started the backdoor yet, they can run away and you're not able to fast travel to them, right?

Man, the mp in this game is so confusing. Do we know the conditions when a target will finally be notified that their game is being invaded? I honestly thought that a target would be notified immediately upon invasion.

Thanks for the tips - had zero idea there was a fast travel option. I assume that this only works if they are not aware of the invasion. If they have been notified and you haven't started the backdoor yet, they can run away and you're not able to fast travel to them, right?

I'm not 100% on when you're being hacked. But if someone is tailing you, you will NOT be informed of it unless a number of things occur: 1. you happen profile someone and it turns out to be them, 2. If you try and start any type of mission/contract/mini game.

Another way to know if you're being invaded is if you use focus and time doesn't slow down. (How ever this doesn't give you the message that you have been invaded)

KxoZz

I am yet to encounter a game where cops act like real cops...
they just always start shooting at you even if you want to surrender.

Also, I was running after a criminal unarmed and he starts shooting at me and then someone calls the cops who then proceed to try to kill me... I did nothing wrong!
Takes me out of the immersion

jadedm17

Pretty sure I just had a cop car teleport to an island I was trying to escape on. These cops are tenacious.

They're recklessly insane and can pinpoint your exact route from blocks away.
I've also had an SUV one blow himself up yesterday trying to take me down during a CtOS App run.

I really hate the cop AI.

Also, I was running after a criminal unarmed and he starts shooting at me and then someone calls the cops who then proceed to try to kill me... I did nothing wrong!

Yup, like in this video I've had them ignore an armed thug completely to shoot at just me; I was on a convoy chase fighting in the street when my target ran away. The police were called briefly before and cut us off : He runs past them blindly shooting at me, while the cop ignores him to start shooting at me moments later. Dead.

xkramz

This shit is frustrating. They fixed that u could download the season pass and bonus content. So I downloaded it. But it's not I'm game!!

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I'm not 100% on when you're being hacked. But if someone is tailing you, you will NOT be informed of it unless a number of things occur: 1. you happen profile someone and it turns out to be them, 2. If you try and start any type of mission/contract/mini game.

Another way to know if you're being invaded is if you use focus and time doesn't slow down. (How ever this doesn't give you the message that you have been invaded)

Thanks, I knew about tailing, but this "target is not notified until certain conditions are met" issue re hacking is new to me. I thought targets were notified immediately upon invasion and that the game would spawn you within 500 meters of the target. I've had targets that have run away from me almost immediately upon my invading their game (thus ruling out any chance of initiating the backdoor), so I assumed that targets were notified immediate. But now that's not the case apparently? Do we know the conditions re notification? Or are people still trying to figure it out? If ever a game needed a manual, it's this one. So confusing.

-I think the morality bar thing of this game is completely fucked. Takes forever to get the meter up to good guy status through missions that get very repetitive and boring. If you want to go and run away from cops, you have to try your damned hardest to make sure and NOT hit the idiots that walk right in the way of your speeding car (while i am laying on the horn mind you). If you do hit them, you lose a good amount of karma from it. I hated this in Infamous too, please stop with the morality bar shit devs!

I've found the same in my play through. After losing so much karma from running over random idiotic pedestrians, I decided just to ignore that facet of the game. It's much easier and more fun to ignore the karma bar than to keep trekking back to crime scenes to identify and tackle criminals, etc. It's just tedious.

This game is seriously starting to piss me off the way it invalidates stealth gameplay.

I cleared
the first part of Jury-Rigged
without alerting anyone, then at the start of the next objective, things are automatically on full alert with gunmen running straight at me. Fuck you Ubi.

They try to arrest you if you play GTA IV and get one star. And in Saints Row 2 they only try to arrest if they pull you out of a car, but on one star they have a lot more actions than in any other sandbox game. They beat you with nightsticks, throw you into cars and other shit, pepper spray, taze, and flashbang you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks, I knew about tailing, but this "target is not notified until certain conditions are met" issue re hacking is new to me. I thought targets were notified immediately upon invasion and that the game would spawn you within 500 meters of the target. I've had targets that have run away from me almost immediately upon my invading their game (thus ruling out any chance of initiating the backdoor), so I assumed that targets were notified immediate. But now that's not the case apparently? Do we know the conditions re notification? Or are people still trying to figure it out? If ever a game needed a manual, it's this one. So confusing.
For hacking, you receive the notification "you are being invaded" when you are first hacked (holding x while looking at you), then the bar appeals and the circle locks down when they begin the download (hitting down on the dpad). Prior to that point there is no notification.

However, as noted: if an intruder is in your game, you can detect this by 1) pausing- the background will continue moving- 2) using focus, which won't slow time, 3) starting any kind of mission, it will lock you out and then give you the "you are being invaded" message. Aiden apparently also puts his cellphone away if it's out the moment you are invaded.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
For hacking, you receive the notification "you are being invaded" when you are first hacked (holding x while looking at you), then the bar appeals and the circle locks down when they begin the download (hitting down on the dpad). Prior to that point there is no notification.

However, as noted: if an intruder is in your game, you can detect this by 1) pausing- the background will continue moving- 2) using focus, which won't slow time, 3) starting any kind of mission, it will lock you out and then give you the "you are being invaded" message. Aiden apparently also puts his cellphone away if it's out the moment you are invaded.

Oh wow. So they can get right next to you, but if they don't press x you won't know, even if you profile them? Damn, I had no idea! Thanks!

Grisby

They're recklessly insane and can pinpoint your exact route from blocks away.
I've also had an SUV one blow himself up yesterday trying to take me down during a CtOS App run.

I really hate the cop AI.

Yup, like in this video I've had them ignore an armed thug completely to shoot at just me; I was on a convoy chase fighting in the street when my target ran away. The police were called briefly before and cut us off : He runs past them blindly shooting at me, while the cop ignores him to start shooting at me moments later. Dead.
Yeah, I understand the need to have them close to you (so ubi could do all the light switching car take down stuff) but for every time it's been cool there's been another annoying bit behind it.

I mean, right on an island? Not even trying to hide the spawning at that point.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
No, profiling will always reveal them. Otherwise, yeah.

Er, no, sorry, if you profile them it will always reveal them.

Ok, guys, thanks. Really appreciate all the tips. Christ, Ubisoft, a manual, please?

Does anyone have a link to that video where the target is shown a circle of where the invader is when the target tried to go to an online session? It was posted earlier in the thread, but I can't find it now.

Yasae

Banned

No
Hamilton based some of his critique on how the game specifically appeared to him (and Totillo) at its reveal.

Is that supposed to be fair or something? Nobody cares what story you made up in your head about a 15 minute demo from 2 years ago which, to be honest, hardly lied about any of its concepts.

Done 36/40 fixer contracts but there are none left on my map? Any help? I've finished the story already!

Assuming you've gotten all the ctos towers, some contracts open new ones. I just did 2 gang hideouts in Pawnee and each one opened new fixer contracts in Pawnee.

Just beat the game. I dug it for the most part. All the additional online stuff seems really tacked on. I really hope in the future they are able to pull off some of the ideas they had in that first e3 reveal. Having multiple players in your game spying on your character having their own separate mini objectives would of been great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JcujYbctPk#t=811

Makes me a little peeved. Like you I still like the game but man...

Symax

Aren't all characters besides Aiden basically plot devices?
I dint get the feeling.
And the same target audience also bought Sleeping Dogs, San Andreas, 1/3 of GTA5 and GTA 4 where we played as an American White male right?
Well the race of the main character is not that important as long as he resembles masculine attributes. Most AAA game sell the feeling of empowerment to a young male target audience.

Top Bottom