• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs |OT| PS4 would probably melt trying to do this

I'm super bummed that half the music I hear and like in this game isn't in the OST. Act IV Spoilers:
The music that plays when you're chasing Defalt is just perfect.

I listened to the OST prior to release and I didn't care much for it.

After playing the game, I know why. All the best tracks are missing.

They need to release a deluxe edition or something. I want to hear the music again without having to go through the entire game, or scouring through YouTube.

I think the currently released OST might not be the main release, or something? A bunch of sites have the release listed as later in June, but it's already up on Amazon and stuff. Thing is, the articles with the later release date have a different (and WAY better) album cover pictured. No idea what's going on with that, because the selection of tracks on the currently available soundtrack is disappointing.

soultron

Banned
I just played the Decryption multiplayer mode. Holy shit it's fun. Motorbike = glass cannon. That thing can get you out of tight situations but you can be killed super easily on it. Haha. Wow.

My Uplay name is lagann if anyone wants to play on PC.

Can someone give me a quick runthrough of the default audio settings? I changed all my volume settings to like 10 when i played online, and can't remember what they're originally at.

Zabant

So this is currently making the rounds on twitter
BpQdt-6CAAAH29y.jpg:large

zkorejo

I had the "90% loading screen bug". I had to start a new game.

Good thing is, I wasnt too far in the story, just started Act II.

What sucks is I lost my Sayonara LE (that I spent so much time playing poker for) and $200000.

Its been a week with this problem and Ubi has yet to come up with a fix. :/

jtenma

Banned
Fuck the criminal convoys where you have to knock out the targets. What kind of bullshit is that?

If you actually paid any attention to what Aiden usually says before Gang/convoy missions, you'd know he is doing this to try to get into their head. Mind hacking with fear.

"I want to let them know I can be anywhere at any time."

He doesn't want to kill the leader. He wants the leader to fear him which in turn will make the followers fear him.

It is very Batman like.

I sometimes get NAT type error with NAT 1. No other games have this problem. Wtf is going on.

If you are on PS4. Relogging into all your services (UPLAY, PSN) and then relaunching the game always works for me.

You do not need to change your NAT type if it is NAT 1 (especially if it is NAT1 and 2). It is just Ubisofts game messing up or something. I'll be playing one minute. then come back, it will say to check your NAT type... LOL

If you actually paid any attention to what Aiden usually says before Gang/convoy missions, you'd know he is doing this to try to get into their head.

He doesn't want to kill the leader. He wants the leader to fear him which in turn will make the followers fear him.

It is very Batman like.

The real explanation is Ubisoft realized it would be too easy to just blow up a car each time and they had no better ideas so they made one guy unkillable while the rest pour bullets into you. A very flawed approach to game design if you ask me.

If you actually paid any attention to what Aiden usually says before Gang/convoy missions, you'd know he is doing this to try to get into their head. Mind hacking with fear.

It is very Batman like.

Which makes zero sense because he has no problem killing everyone except the guys he arbitrarily decides to "send a message" to, and steals money out of ATMs.

jtenma

Banned
Which makes zero sense because he has no problem killing everyone except the guys he arbitrarily decides to "send a message" to, and steals money out of ATMs.

It actually does make sense.

If you kill the foot soldiers (who were practically nobodies anyway) how exactly does this stop the operation of selling human organs?

BUT, if you beat the gang leader to pulp, and kill all his men, LEAVING the BOSS ALIVE to tell the story? What happens?

Right.

DukeBobby

The real explanation is Ubisoft realized it would be too easy to just blow up a car each time and they had no better ideas so they made one guy unkillable while the rest pour bullets into you. A very flawed approach to game design if you ask me.

Pretty much. They also like to throw in 2-3 armored guys, too. Y'know, just for fun.

Sometimes it's two unkillable guys. Even better!

If you kill the foot soldiers (who were practically nobodies anyway) how exactly does this stop the operation of selling human organs?

BUT, if you beat the gang leader to pulp, and kill all his men, LEAVING the BOSS ALIVE to tell the story? What happens?

Right.

You're reaching really far to make a dumb game mechanic logical.

If his whole gang is dead, who is the boss going to tell?

Seems like a blatant reference to me.
I mean Kavon Fortin? Come on.

To each is own I guess.

It's a random generator, notice how the occupation and age is different, just like the name is. You could encounter Michael Jackson in this game as well, it's random for you.

jtenma

Banned
You're reaching really far to make a dumb game mechanic logical.

I'm not talking about game mechanics here. I am not defending it. I was just explaining what Aiden (a character in a video game) is probably thinking since he actually said those words... not me.

I dont need to reach for anything but a youtube video to prove he (Aiden, the video game character) said that. what?

Right.

Really? Really?

We're talking about the real reason it's like that not the excuse reason.

MarkusRJR

How common is the 90% loading bug (on Xbox One specifically)? I have little time for gaming and losing a bunch of progress would make me never play the game again. At the same time though I'm home sick for a day or two with nothing to do but game. Should I start playing it now or should I wait till it gets patched and play something else?

Really annoyed cause I just spent $70 on this game (dumb Canadian pricing that rips you off) and never heard of this bug anywhere until checking out forums. Ridiculous that only Kotaku of all places covered it. Is there an expected time for a patch or are we all SOL?

I'm not talking about game mechanics here. I am not defending it. I was just explaining what Aiden (a character in a video game) is probably thinking since he actually said those words... not me.

I dont need to reach for anything but a youtube video to prove he (Aiden, the video game character) said that. what?

I'm pointing out that Aiden is poorly written, because that line makes zero sense given the actions possible in the game.

Aiden is Batman when the game needs him to be for purposes like "you can't kill this guy because reasons"

jtenma

Banned
Really? Really?

We're talking about the real reason it's like that not the excuse reason.

OHHH! In that case. Continue.

EDIT:

I'm pointing out that Aiden is poorly written, because that line makes zero sense given the actions possible in the game.

Aiden is Batman when the game needs him to be for purposes like "you can't kill this guy because reasons"

Ok. So you two werent talking about the same thing then.....

Aiden is a vigilante, not a superhero. He has his own rules. His own laws. He steals from bank accounts. He also turns around and uses that money to buy equipment for missions. Missions which involve stopping illegal convoys and saving his family.

Not defending him, but I am just playing devils advocate here.

Not to mention that a lot of time trying to kneecap a guy will actually kill him (for no obvious reason) and that when you have to "Knock Down" a baddie it should be up to me whether I want to beat his face in, or kneecap him from a distance.

It forces a certain play-style, just like having a million things give you negative karma while, like, five or six things give you positive karma.

A lot of shoehorned mechanics and extremely transparent reasonings for them that were very obviously last minute things.

Ok. So you two werent talking about the same thing then.....

Aiden is a vigilante, not a superhero. He has his own rules. His own laws. He steals from bank accounts. He also turns around and uses that money to buy equipment for missions. Missions which involve stopping illegal convoys and saving his family.

Not defending him, but I am just playing devils advocate here.

Why do you keep writing about Aiden like you're writing the blurb on the back of the box?

I just stopped a robbery in the game and then immediately stole four hundred dollars from some lady's bank account. That's not complex motivations or conflicted character writing, that's Ubisoft not being able to decide if Watch Dogs is a crime game or a crime-fighting game.

Cubed

I can't stop messing around and doing side missions long enough to actually play the story. I put about 12 hours into this game so far and I'm still not finished Act One.

Excellent.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why do you keep writing about Aiden like you're writing the blurb on the back of the box?

I just stopped a robbery in the game and then immediately stole four hundred dollars from some lady's bank account. That's not complex motivations or conflicted character writing, that's Ubisoft not being able to decide if Watch Dogs is a crime game or a crime-fighting game.

Nobody forced you to steal those 400 bucks. YOUR moral compass is broken, not the character's.

DukeBobby

Just finished act 3.

I love how
you spend nearly two chapters trying to access the data in Rossi-Fremont, but you just end up blasting your way in, killing everyone in sight.

SJRB

Gold Member
So why doesn't stealing money lower my handy dandy in-game moral compass points then?

You know the answer to that as well as I do. The ingame notoriety represents how the people of Chicago view you - either good or bad. Since hacking is anonymous and impossible to trace, no one knows you did it.

Are you deliberately obtuse on this subject or what?

Calm down. Saw Alex Navarro re-tweet it and thought it was a little nuts.

Reading the replies it seems i'm not the only one.

Right..

Seems like a blatant reference to me.
I mean Kavon Fortin? Come on.

To each is own I guess.

I can't stop messing around and doing side missions long enough to actually play the story. I put about 12 hours into this game so far and I'm still not finished Act One.

Excellent.

Haha same. Im a little further, halfway done act 2 but I put mad hours into it already. One thing is always certain in a ubisoft game, you get a ton of stuff to do.

Also if you havent tried it yet the online, specifically the online hacking, is very fun.

RdN

Does the crimes stop after you complete the 20 from the progression? I haven't has any tonight, and I'm in need of some good actions.

You know the answer to that as well as I do. The ingame notoriety represents how the people of Chicago view you - either good or bad. Since hacking is anonymous and impossible to trace, no one knows you did it.

Are you deliberately obtuse on this subject or what?

I'm not sure why pointing out the inconsistencies in the presentation of Aiden's character is being deliberately obtuse. It has nothing to do with my moral compass when the game presents tons of situations that clash horribly. Your argument that it's my choice to steal would hold more water if we were talking about, say, beating up NPCs - the game can't stop you from messing around in the open world, so that stuff doesn't bother me as much.

But Aiden Pearce is a vigilante supposedly fighting for the better of Chicago as well as his own revenge. He wants to stop crimes. He wants bad guys to live (some of them, anyway, when the game calls for it) so his message can spread. He can intervene to prevent murders, drug deals, and petty crime.

...but he can also steal money from people's bank accounts with no consequences, and steal their cars, and he doesn't have much of a problem doing side missions for criminals.

The thing is, either of these are perfectly fine paths for a character on their own. I'd buy that Aiden was a vigilante so hell-bent on avenging his niece that he didn't care who he stole from, but combined with the much more heroic Batman-style character the game tries to sell him as it's a little hard to swallow. It seems like multiple people took a whack at writing the game and all these ideas got blended together into an inconsistent mush of a protagonist. It's totally bizarre that I can be apparently loved enough by the populace to make them want to protect me from the police while sucking them dry with my magic money magnet. Aiden's hypocrisy isn't addressed much by the story, so it feels really out of place to have all these clashing mechanics available.

Also, the whole "it's YOUR choice to do it!" argument doesn't make much sense when it's a core mechanic of the game that has several tutorials and skills attached to it. This isn't Spec Ops: The Line. The theft mechanic isn't some War Games only-winning-move-is-not-to-play bullshit.

Top Bottom